Chef Geoff's (New Mexico Ave.)
3201 New Mexico Avenue
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Chef Geoff's (New Mexico Ave.)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chefgeoff.com/
- Phone: 2022377800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jerome Sharpe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Think of a reason to party and we can make it happen. Whether a small seated event or a large cocktail reception, we can accommodate groups of all sizes. Our private dining room has its own bar and seats 65. Our patio offers unique outdoor space for entertaining groups up to 200 in the spring, summer, and fall. Please contact our Private Event Director, Amy Foster, at firstname.lastname@example.org for menus and details.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Foster 2027067326x
- Special Events: Chef Geoff's hosts a variety of wine dinners, beer dinners, an annual Oktoberfest, and more. We can offer the perfect venue for either personal or corporate entertaining, and accommodate groups of all sizes. For more private party information contact our events team at 202.706.7326 or email our Event Director Amy Foster at email@example.com.
Sign up for our newsletter at www.chefgeoff.com.
A word from Chef Geoff's (New Mexico Ave.)
Come enjoy our Contemporary American Cuisine, casual sophistication, and generous hospitality! For over ten years we have been the quintessential neighborhood restaurant in Washington DC. Chef Geoff’s offers everything from fresh day boat scallops, seared tuna and steaks to great burgers, pizza pies, salads and sandwiches in a fun and relaxed atmosphere. Chef Geoff's also features some of DC's best outdoor dining. Enjoy our phenomenal happy hour specials like 1/2 Price CG Burgers and $8.95 Pizzas or celebrate Half Price Wine Night every Monday. Enjoy Sunday Brunch with classics like Eggs Chesapeake or Steak and Eggs. Cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chef Geoff's (New Mexico Ave.) reviews from OpenTable diners
242 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (164)great for outdoor dining (159)great for lunch (99)great for brunch (91)fit for foodies (73)good for groups (61)kid-friendly (54)vibrant bar scene (37)special occasion (35)notable wine list (20)hot spot (16)romantic (13)scenic view (10)late-night find (7)Show More
- Sunday BrunchkingbDined on 9/14/2014Chef Geoff's Sunday Brunch is about the best in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mistake on the orderFLCarolDined on 9/13/2014This is the first time we have ever, after 20 or 30 times, had a mistake on the delivery of an order. When we pointed it out, they first tried to fix it by keeping food hot in the kitchen. The sauce congealed and the food didn't stay hot, so we complained, and they re-made the dishes. They couldn't have been nicer. They also offered free dessert and coffee. We were satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our neighborhood go-toBrandy12Dined on 9/12/2014Good food, has really improved since the days we used to take kids here. A little loud especially by the bar. Had our book group here-had to wait for a while despite reservations but once we sat down our server was lovely and food was good-no complaints from group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues GoodEatitallDined on 9/10/2014Nice spot, interesting menu. Honored reservation, immediate seating, service attentive. Good evening overall plus convenient parking.Special Features:
- Disappointing...8outVADined on 9/6/2014Drinks were good. Service was fine. The great disappointment was the food. My husband had tomato watermelon gazpacho which was bland and too sweet, followed by shrimp and grits (nearly $30.00). For that price, the dish should have soared. Instead, it collapsed under the weight of too many ingredients piled on a mountain of soggy grits. My salad was over-dressed with vinegary dressing, and too peppery. The worst dish was my crab cakes. Since crab cakes are listed in 3 places on the menu, I thought they ought to be decent. Although advertised as lump crab, there was nary a lump to be found - just shredded crab with lots of filler and no taste. If you are going to spend this much money, there are far better places to go than Chef Geoff's.
- YummyCsealsDined on 9/6/2014We brought our daughter and some of her college friends for a fun and festive meal. Everyone enjoyed their entres and we would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well Done New American CuisineBennett5115Dined on 9/3/2014Nice wine list. The Bacon Bar menu was fun. The shrimp and grits were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly good lunchMorrDined on 9/1/2014Lamb kofta with hot pita and onions and feta and couscous..and whatever it is that I might have left out! generous proportion of berries and mascarpone. Iced Coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureSplinkyDined on 8/31/2014We return to Chef Geoff's regularly because the staff are welcoming, the service is consistently solid and the food is great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Lovely dining and friendly wait staff. She must have been quite busy as it took a long time to get a drink order through. The venue could use some air conditioning. Lovely food and very nice ambience. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014There were so many great choices for dinner we all had a difficult time picking our order.
- DiappointedLesTDined on 8/24/2014I have eaten here many times before and enjoyed both the food and the service. However, tonight I experienced perhaps the poorest and most irritating service I have ever experienced in any restaurant. (If I have received worse service before, I have mercifully forgotten it.) There was a very long wait (15+ minutes) after we were seated until someone noticed us and brought a menu. We asked for bread and butter. It was very slow in coming - did not arrive until after we had our entrees. We had to prod the wait staff to provide dessert. Finally the most irritating thing, with every delivery being slow, we had to repeatedly defend our meals against staff who wanted to take our plates away before we were finished.Special Features:
- CE20016Dined on 8/23/2014This is a pleasant neighborhood restaurant with a nice terrace for outdoor dinning, and a history of fine, but not spectacular, food. Good news: the food seems to be improving based on our most recent dinner.Special Features:
- Great dinner!AUparentDined on 8/23/2014First time visitor and was very satisfied with the experience. The menu had a good selection of meats and pasta dishes and some veggie selections. Nice assortment of beers and wine. Bar was active with TVs showing pre season football. Well worth the visit and I would definitely come here again in the futureSpecial Features:
- Great for all eatersbeekDined on 8/22/2014I chose the restaurant because it has an extensive gluten-free menu, and one in our party had a gluten allergy. Also included in our group were two 12-year-old boys who can be picky eaters. The boys loved their steak frites and burger, and the gluten-free eater loved the beet salad and mussels (made gluten free by excluding the bread that normally comes with it). My risotto was great and the non-gluten free eaters enjoyed the plantain chips. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu, including advising my friend about the items that could be made gluten free even if they weren't on the gluten free menu, and she also helped us select a couple of great cocktails. Everyone was pleased with the restaurant choice.Special Features:
- CarefulYUMMYTUMMYDined on 8/22/2014Chef Geoff is an neighborhood restaurant with OK food and always spotty service.
- GoodCPAfoodieDined on 8/22/2014Chef Geoff's is always good. I had the swordfish and brocolini. Although both were good, the chef overdid the amount of brocolini. I would have preferred less brocolini and add a starch. Also, we were there for evening dining and sat outside. While it was delightful, they really need to add lighting. We had to use a phone to read the menu and see our food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FindDanjenpDined on 8/22/2014Found via help as we were only in DC area for 1 night. Truffle popcorn to start was a unique way to start our experience but well worth it. We stuck to pizza and burgers for the most part but all were extremely tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kingbDined on 8/19/2014Food is always excellent. Noise level is quiet in the patio, indoors, not so muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I prefer outside dining thereArlingtongalDined on 8/17/2014The noise level is moderate outside, but energetic inside.Special Features:
- Joe1Dined on 8/17/2014Service was slow this evening, but it was clearly a busier night than most Sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service; Okay FoodoldmanDined on 8/17/2014The waiter was attentive and diligently sent our special orders to the kitchen. The kitchen did not respond to our special orders. The waiter had the kitchen redo one of the orders. My wife let the second botched order slide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Good outdoor seating, good service and food - reasonable priceSpecial Features:
- Generally very goodKarenLRDined on 8/17/2014This is a standby place that is comfortable and good. I think the night vibe is different (more vibrant), but I usually come for brunch or lunch with my mother (who loves the place and is always treated very nicely). My food this past time was disappointing, but it wasn't bad -- just bland. I had the breakfast burritto, which not only seemed to lack the chorizo (like there was none), but it lacked any kind of flavor or spice. Nothing bad -- just not very good. This place is generally better -- and the service did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we were hoping forsmarcDined on 8/16/2014Food was very good, prices were reasonable and our waitress was cheerful and helpful. My only complaint was that, even with a reservation, we were seated in a back room that had no ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plea for less noiseAuntieMDined on 8/15/2014Our dining experiences at Chef Geoff's have overall been very positive - a varied menu, well-prepared food, good service, and a nice wine list. The only negative has been the sound level in the main dining room. It may be termed "energetic" in the survey, but for aging "boomers" with some hearing challenges it creates a less relaxing ambiance. The exception to that was once when, because a rain storm closed the patio, the back dining room was opened up for regular restaurant seating. We wish it were available on a regular basis.Special Features:
- luncherDined on 8/15/2014We love to go here to sit outside. Crab cake was all filler and very little crab. Server never ever refilled iced tea or water. But we keep coming back for the atmosphere....however, the food isn't as good as it used to be.Special Features:
- LOVE LOVE LOVE Chef Geoff'smommamacDined on 8/14/2014I had a wonderful experience revisiting the New Mexico Ave. location for Chef Geoff's. The food was fabulous - it was Restaurant Week, and we were all pleasantly surprised by the robust menu offered. We ended up taking advantage of the Restaurant Week menu, and all of our dinners were great! We sat outside - weather was perfect, ambience even better. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014My lunch partner went to the other Chef Geoff's so was an hour late arriving. The wait staff were so kind to me even though the restaurant was packed. They never huffed or puffed or made me feel like I was taking up a valuable table. When we were finally ready we had good service and enjoyed our 3-course restaurant week dining. I had the kale salad, tuna burger, and mixed berries. All were fresh, well prepared, and very tasty! It was my first dining experience here and I will bring more people back with me - I will just make sure they know at which restaurant we are dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularHomerJDined on 8/12/2014A summer rainstorm passed through an hour before we went for dinner. The early evening sun broke through, and they opened the patio and dried off the tables and chairs. A gentle breeze made it even more pleasant. Service was friendly and attentive. My crabcake appetizer was exceeded only by my partner's choice of artichoke. The entrees were spectacular. Prices are fair, and this is absolutely a neighborhood gem. The patio is also dog friendly, much to a joy of a little black schipperke, who serenaded us during dinner.Special Features:
- Noise level good outdoorsSabrina2Dined on 8/11/2014Inside it is impossible to hear or talk. Do not go if you plan to eat inside unless it is 3 pm. Food is good, service excellent if you get there early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shocking.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014the bus staff were flipping over place mats rather than cleaning or replacing them and brushing crumbs off the table with their hands. One bus staff person put someone else's dirty class on our table while he filled the water glasses of another table. Their uniforms were dirty with obvious food stains. Our food came out late and it was not the food we had ordered. the second attempt took even longer. Management made appropriate adjustments to our check but it was not a fun night out.
- Decent American food, great serviceJAWNPSDined on 8/10/2014The service is consistently good. The food is slightly above average American fare. I give it 4 stars because everyone should be able to find something on the menu to eat (gluten free, vegetarians, etc.) which I like. And it's close to my home so it's easy to meet friends, etc. Also there's a lot of outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!southernfoodiesDined on 8/9/2014This place never really disappoints. We went in for a light Saturday evening meal and sat outside in the lovely courtyard out front. My husband had a hamburger which was very good, and I had the caesar salad with the grilled chicken breast. The chicken was lightly grilled with a wonderful flavor and lots of freshly cracked black pepper. The service is always efficient and friendly here, and it is one of our favorite outdoor places in which to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset Special a great dealBigeaterDined on 8/6/2014Our group of 4 (plus toddler) enjoyed the Sunset Special, a three-course dinner at a bargain price. Toddler had a kid's pizza, which was enormous. A great place for an early dinner.Special Features:
- Disappointing meal & serviceSpaGirl54Dined on 8/1/2014I've eaten at both Cheg Geoff locations several times and this is the first time it was a disappointing experience. The service was off, meal slow to come out, never got our bread or water refilled. The meal itself was fine, nothing special. Fish Tacos were good, veal milanese was ok. I'm a loyal customer, I'll go back and hope this doesn't happen again.Special Features:
- Fine Neighborhood ResourceFineNWResourceDined on 8/1/2014Years' pleasures here stay constant. Calamari, other foods reliably very good. Seating locations in/out comfortable, pleasant. Special deal - evening burgers.Special Features:
- generally good mealnicknameDined on 7/27/2014WE enjoyed a good dinner. Some menue items are better than others so you need to order wisely. Pre-6:30 pm dinner special is a good bargain. We go often.Special Features:
- OverratedDCnBack2Dined on 7/26/2014I live in the neighborhood and for the price, I just cant do it anymore. I am consistently disappointed by the food and the service. In this case location is the only advantage. I'd rather go out of the neighborhood than give them a 7th or 8th chance.
- The Perfect Sunday Supper SpothappyDined on 7/20/2014The place has a casual, but polished ambiance. It's upbeat. The food's good. Pleasant crowd. Off-street parking. Good mix of ages and, during the AU school year, there are students and families from everywhere. Service always reflects good training. Menu always is interesting. I look forward to Sunday nights there.Special Features: