Chef Geoff's (New Mexico Ave.)
3201 New Mexico Avenue
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Chef Geoff's (New Mexico Ave.)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chefgeoff.com/
- Phone: (202) 237-7800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jerome Sharpe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Think of a reason to party and we can make it happen. Whether a small seated event or a large cocktail reception, we can accommodate groups of all sizes. Our private dining room has its own bar and seats 65. Our patio offers unique outdoor space for entertaining groups up to 200 in the spring, summer, and fall. Please contact our Private Event Director, Amy Foster, at email@example.com for menus and details.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Foster 2027067326x
- Special Events: Chef Geoff's hosts a variety of wine dinners, beer dinners, an annual Oktoberfest, and more. We can offer the perfect venue for either personal or corporate entertaining, and accommodate groups of all sizes. For more private party information contact our events team at 202.706.7326 or email our Event Director Amy Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for our newsletter at www.chefgeoff.com.
A word from Chef Geoff's (New Mexico Ave.)
Come enjoy our Contemporary American Cuisine, casual sophistication, and generous hospitality! For over ten years we have been the quintessential neighborhood restaurant in Washington DC. Chef Geoff’s offers everything from fresh day boat scallops, seared tuna and steaks to great burgers, pizza pies, salads and sandwiches in a fun and relaxed atmosphere. Chef Geoff's also features some of DC's best outdoor dining. Enjoy our phenomenal happy hour specials like 1/2 Price CG Burgers and $8.95 Pizzas or celebrate Half Price Wine Night every Monday. Enjoy Sunday Brunch with classics like Eggs Chesapeake or Steak and Eggs. Cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chef Geoff's (New Mexico Ave.) reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (151)great for outdoor dining (129)great for lunch (88)fit for foodies (75)great for brunch (74)good for groups (64)kid-friendly (49)vibrant bar scene (46)special occasion (31)hot spot (30)notable wine list (20)romantic (14)late-night find (10)scenic view (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2014It was very good but it was very crowded and noisy. Very hard to have a conversation. The service was very good and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2014Came here on a whim. New to the neighborhood. Ordered the yellowfin tuna & the hanger steak. Both were delicious. Cleaned our plates. Drinks were pricey, but that's DC. Would definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable lunchPiperVIPDined on 11/20/2014Nice range of lunch menu choices, attentive service, comfortable atmosphere and great food. Had the fish tacos that were tasty and an appropriate amount/size for lunch. Will definitely go back. Quality here has been consistently great over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience Summary.SailmanDined on 11/16/2014Food excellent. Service excellent. Location peaceful and relaxing. Been here numerous times and will return with pleasure. Reservations times honored and they are very appreciative and accommodating of pre-notification of arrival time changes. Would suggest more natural plants to give the restaurant some privacy or separation divisions that would make the ambiance more inviting and romantic but make cost some minor reduction in seating capacity which is admittedly a "no-no". Nevertheless, we really enjoy the place but use mostly for lunches as we would like a bit more atmosphere and ambiance for dinner...............though the food is really good at both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Place Has it All!MikeDined on 11/13/2014All of our meals were truly excellent and the service was exceptional. Along with the moderate prices, the combination made for a wonderful dinner experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Geoff delivers on burgers!LinBVIPDined on 11/11/2014We enjoyed our outdoor dining experience at this popular neighborhood spot. Having read reviews, we opted for burgers, fries & salads & were completely satisfied. The lemon tart & homemade donuts were great for dessert.Special Features:
- Always goodBigeaterVIPDined on 11/11/2014Chef Goeff's is one of the few good restaurants where we can comfortably take our three young grandchildren. Very good food at reasonable prices, with a "Sunset special" that is a real bargain. We dine there often.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, abysmal serviceNoSeedsOrNutsPleaseDined on 11/9/2014Food was truly wonderful, from the salad to the dessert, and we would return to Chef Goeff's for that reason. Unfortunately, the service was abysmal. I stressed to the waitress "no nuts, no seeds....really no seeds, not even tiny ones!" and sure enough, my entree arrived, delivered by a kitchen staff person, covered with large seeds. Sent it back and he returned with it saying the chef said it would be "OK." Sent it back again. Wine arrived at the end of dinner, no water refills, 2 of the 4 desserts were not what we ordered, and we had no silverware so the ice cream melted while we waited for those. To the manager's credit, he comped our meal, and that, along with the fact that the food was actually delicious, will see us back.
- Skip the crab cakes!acornDined on 11/4/2014The crab cakes used to be really good but now they are subpar quality. Order something else!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointFaveListVIPDined on 11/2/2014Never fails... Consistently outstanding line up of delicious menu and excellent service.Special Features:
- AdeleDined on 10/27/2014I ordered the starter chop salad. It arrived drenched in thick dressing. I tasted it, one mouth full, and could not eat it. When I let the waitress know, she said I should have asked for the dressing on the side. I was charged. Also I ordered soup and no spoon was on the table or came with it. I waited for the waitress but could not find her so I had to go to the maitre'd who brought over a spoon.
- Our go to spot in the nabegloverVIPDined on 10/26/2014Never disappoints. Easy for us to walk to and nice to take out of towners to - for its neighborhood feel - hassle free location. Menu always has something for everybody. Food reliably well prepared. Bravo!Special Features:
- MinicarVIPDined on 10/25/2014Very disappointed as I have eaten at the downtown restaurant and really enjoyed my meal. The Brussels sprouts sounded excellent but were heavily sauced and soggy. The hanger steak was too salty, and broccoli was overlooked and salty. My husband had the mussels and loved them, but when he offered to finish my steak for me he too was not a fan.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Too many tables are packed in together. We spent half our dinner trying to get out of the way of people/staff passing, and the other half getting bumped in to. The service was terrible, from a waitress stand point. The food runners and water fillers were great and attentive, but our waitress was not helpful at all. She didn't bring the bread to the table, despite being asked at the beginning of dinner since it didn't appear to be coming, until after our food had arrived. She didn't offer to split our check despite the fact we were a group of five equally aged women. Then when asked for them to be split, she said it was going to take a long time and just stared at us...so we just gave her five credit cards because it took long enough already
- greatskh12Dined on 10/24/2014absolutely great food. wonderful first date location - not too pricey but not cheapSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad We Had a Reservation...SmithsonDined on 10/23/2014We had a reservation for a table at 12:30pm, and we were grateful for it. The restaurant seemed very busy. We didn't see any other open tables. But it became apparent that the noise level all around us was too much to bear. But we stuck it out as best we could, and by 1:00 or 1:15 the crowd began to thin out and the ambient noise level became bearable.Special Features:
- wunnerfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/20/2014great food, wonderful service, nice atmosphere and very friendly staffSpecial Features:
- A Regular Stop in the NeighborhoodAmyHVIPDined on 10/20/2014Chef Geoff's on New Mexico Ave. is a neighborhood hot spot. Regular customers seem to frequent this tried and true venue. The service was very friendly and the food was served in a timely manner. The decor needs a bit of updating, but this did not deter from the menu offerings which are plentiful and could satisfy almost anyone with food restrictions. The sweet potato fries were delicious and a must try at your next meal on New Mexico Ave!Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysAndreagpnVIPDined on 10/19/2014Always a great go to place for reliably good food and excellent service.Special Features:
- DeliciousTanner20Dined on 10/18/2014This was the best meal I had in a long time. I had the penne pasta with sausage dish. It was the best dish of this kind that I have had recently. The hangar steak was cooked perfectly as I has the chance to taste that as well. The wine list was excellent and the coffee was very good as well. From start to finish this was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great after work meeting placefrankie64Dined on 10/17/2014Reliable and tasty place to meet up with a group of friends. A little noisy, but the menu is good and the appetizers are varied and tasty. Our waiter was super young but excellent. Overall a great, reliable place, would definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Every TimeFixoDined on 10/16/2014Our daughter is a Senior at American University and over the last four years we've been frequent visitors at Chef Geoff's. Then food has always been terrific and the same goes for the service. Restaurant management clearly is focused on quality because this place seems to be in a continuous improvement loop. We haven't seen and big menu shakeups, rather new items get introduced and less popular ones fade away. The wait staff is friendly and attentive. The beer menu is awesome--and our waiter was very knowledgeable--provided great recommendations! Although my daughter will graduate soon, I'm sure we will find some way of returning to Chef Geoff's!Special Features:
- We had a good timePaulDined on 10/12/2014We made our reservations using OpenTable. We had to update them twice within an hour of our reservation. (The OpenTable mobile app is great.) They had the updated reservation in the computer when we got there. We were seated immediately. The service was fast. The restaurant was not as full as it usually is so it was relatively quiet. The fried calamari, curry chicken, scallops, and lemon tart we ordered were outstanding. This was exactly what we were hoping for when we made our reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jojoVIPDined on 10/12/2014Wonderful food; great service. A little loud as there were many children there for Sunday brunch. Too bad parents can't control their kids, but not the restaurant's fault.Special Features:
- Tasty meals had by allsslambieDined on 10/11/2014Our group of 9 enjoyed dinner at Chef Geoff's last night. We had pasta, burgers, tuna tartare, scallops and steak, among other dishes. The service was pretty uneven, though, with a long wait between appetizers and main course. Then another long wait between ordering dessert and seeing it on the table. We weren't in a rush, so it was fine. Everyone was pleased with their dishes, both adults and kids. If I could make one suggestion it would be to liven up the dessert menu.Special Features:
- Sunday brunch no jazzOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2014The guitarist was "too expensive" we were told. Without the live music the place was just ordimsrySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2014Outstanding fried green tomato BLT at an outside table on a gorgeous daySpecial Features:
- Not so gooddarkandloudDined on 10/3/2014The food was tasty and the service was good. BUT, the light level at our table was terrible; two guest had to use a flashlight to view the menu. Comments to what seemed liked managers about the lighting got brushed off. The place was full and quiet noisy. Ball game on TV was part of the problem; temporary due to playoffs by Nationals! Overall the ambience was not conducive to fine dinning or the ability to have a conversation.
- The bestBillieJoVIPDined on 10/3/2014This place continues to amaze me. Business events, quiet dinner for two - everything is perfect. Parking near; creative and delicious menu which constantly changes to peak your interest. Great service which sees your reason and adjusts timing accordingly. Wish we had one in Gainesville VA.Special Features:
- Lunch Al FrescoChinaVIPDined on 9/26/2014A beautiful autumn day to eat outdoors. Very good burgers and crab cake sandwich. Excellent service. A favorite spot for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb service and delicious foodBoscoramaVIPDined on 9/26/2014We ate outside and enjoyed a beautiful day. Our server was attentive and was able to accommodate my dietary preferences. We were joined by a wasp from time to time, as we head into fall.
- All enjoyed a pleasant mealBebopVIPDined on 9/24/2014There's nothing that will wow you, but each meal was well prepared, well presented and enjoyed. Reliable and tasty.Special Features:
- Great spot near American UniversityFixoDined on 9/19/2014We've dined here a number of times,usually taking advantage of the "Sunset Special" which includes an appetizer, main course and dessert (limited selections) for a reasonable price < $25... The food is great as is the atmosphere. Usually the service is terrific, but this time it was fairly slow and inattentive. This was the first time we ate outside, so maybe that is the difference. Previous visits we had impeccable service, so I will consider this visit an outlier. Although the Sunset Special used to be a great deal, they have recently increased the price which in my view makes it less attractive. In the future I will likely just go for the entree and pass on the appetizer and dessert which I don't usually have anyhow.Special Features:
- DgrellbvVIPDined on 9/18/2014Beautiful afternoon on deck, good food, great service.
- Always perfectBillieJoVIPDined on 9/17/2014Great space to know that everything will be perfect - great Bacon Bar - great serviceSpecial Features:
- Sunday BrunchkingbVIPDined on 9/14/2014Chef Geoff's Sunday Brunch is about the best in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mistake on the orderFLCarolVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is the first time we have ever, after 20 or 30 times, had a mistake on the delivery of an order. When we pointed it out, they first tried to fix it by keeping food hot in the kitchen. The sauce congealed and the food didn't stay hot, so we complained, and they re-made the dishes. They couldn't have been nicer. They also offered free dessert and coffee. We were satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our neighborhood go-toBrandy12Dined on 9/12/2014Good food, has really improved since the days we used to take kids here. A little loud especially by the bar. Had our book group here-had to wait for a while despite reservations but once we sat down our server was lovely and food was good-no complaints from group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues GoodEatitallDined on 9/10/2014Nice spot, interesting menu. Honored reservation, immediate seating, service attentive. Good evening overall plus convenient parking.Special Features:
- Disappointing...8outVADined on 9/6/2014Drinks were good. Service was fine. The great disappointment was the food. My husband had tomato watermelon gazpacho which was bland and too sweet, followed by shrimp and grits (nearly $30.00). For that price, the dish should have soared. Instead, it collapsed under the weight of too many ingredients piled on a mountain of soggy grits. My salad was over-dressed with vinegary dressing, and too peppery. The worst dish was my crab cakes. Since crab cakes are listed in 3 places on the menu, I thought they ought to be decent. Although advertised as lump crab, there was nary a lump to be found - just shredded crab with lots of filler and no taste. If you are going to spend this much money, there are far better places to go than Chef Geoff's.