Chef Geoff's Downtown
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Chef Geoff's Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chefgeoff.com/
- Phone: (202) 464-4461
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Santos Fuentes
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Staging a star performance? Cast Chef Geoff's Downtown as your partner. Whether a small seated event or a large cocktail reception, we can accommodate groups of all sizes. Our two private dining rooms seat up to 48 and the entire restaurant can be reserved for as many as 300 guests. For more information please contact our Private Event Director, Amy Foster at email@example.com, for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Foster 2027067326x
- Special Events: Chef Geoff's hosts numerous specials events, including wine dinners, beer dinners, cooking classes and more. To receive information regarding our next special event sign up for our newsletter at www.chefgeoff.com.
- Cross Street: on 13th between E and F streets
- Public Transit: Metro Center
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We have partnered with Parking Panda to allow guests to purchase guaranteed parking near Chef Geoff’s Downtown in advance. Go to www.parkingpanda.com and search for our restaurant. Enter time you plan to park. Once purchased, present your purchased confirmation at the selected location and this serves as your payment with no additional payments or fees. Parking availability can be limited, so it is strongly recommended that you purchase your parking for Chef Geoff’s Downtown in advance.
A word from Chef Geoff's Downtown
What better place to be, than three blocks from the White House, walking distance from the Mall, across the street from the Warner Theatre, and right in the heart of Downtown? For over 11 years, Chef Geoff's Downtown has happily served Capitol Hill, theatergoers, business brokers, neighborhood friends and D.C. visitors alike with our New American Cuisine. Our expansive menu is designed to please. Enjoy 1/2 Price CG Burgers and $8.95 Pizza Pies during our phenomenal happy hour. Join us every Sunday for Brunch and every Monday for Half Price Wines. We truly have something for everyone and look forward to seeing you soon. Cheers! Chef GeoffContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chef Geoff's Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
366 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (145)great for lunch (129)fit for foodies (122)neighborhood gem (82)special occasion (81)vibrant bar scene (63)hot spot (47)great for brunch (40)kid-friendly (39)romantic (34)notable wine list (28)late-night find (21)great for outdoor dining (13)scenic view (9)Show More
- Mini-reunionDinahDined on 11/17/2014When classmates who have known each other since the sixties gather for lunch, the conversation takes center stage. Chef Geoff's staff understood that and gave us plenty of time for our group to assemble and settle down before ordering. The menu pleased everyone, as did the beer and wine list. The round table and the acoustics allowed us to hear everyone and really catch up. The waiters also accommodated us after the meal by letting us linger over coffees, lattes, and cappuccinos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find, good food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/16/2014First time eating here but a veteran of DC for conferences. We will come back. Very good place that is reasonably priced. I had a group of eight eventually (had to keep raising the reservation number but they handled it excellently) and the varied menu had something for everyone. Excellent mix of food and the desserts were especially wonderful --they have this warm doughnut treat with three sauces...a must have..just enough for a two or three people easily..Definitely will come back, and it wasn't crowded at all for a Sunday night, which was odd because it is a wonderful place and close to the hotels and convention center. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great go-to placeeaglesfanDined on 11/15/2014We love Chef Geoff's downtown - you can almost always get a table, the food's good, and it is reasonable priced. Our go-to place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre-eventsCathDined on 11/15/2014excellent food and reasonable prices. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Right Across the street from the Warner Theater.ColonelDrapesDined on 11/15/2014And around the corner from the National Theater. Excellent Gluten Free menu! Extensive draft beer opportunities. Ample wine list. Diverse menu, enough to please varied tastes. Smart servers, about the food and theater timing. Casual atmosphers. The only people wearing suits or sport jackets were the restaurant management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MenuStarDined on 11/15/2014We visited the restaurant after a recommendation. The service was great and able to cater to our needs. There was a good variety of food to choose from but it was a little pricy for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014Had a friend in town who wanted to park her car and check out the monuments. It's a great location to shopping. White House. Highways. We sat in the bar area and the guy really took care of us. Service was pretty great. We had Calamari. Truffle popcorn. Sweet potatoe pizza. All delish. That's all. Will def be back. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lesson LearnedAnniv32VIPDined on 11/12/2014I am a fan of Chef Geoff's. I have always found the staff to be exceptionally pleasant and the food great. This time, however, I did have a problem. I arrived early for my lunch and asked to be seated so that I could enjoy a quiet moment with a cup of coffee. I waited and waited for my "date" who is never late! Just as I was called the office, my date walked by. She was worried about me and was headed to talk to the hostess. Wow, she had been seated at another table! My guest said she had checked in with my name. Sad thing is we were both arrived early. I guess in the future I will sit in that tight little entrance and just wait. I am still giving service 4 star's (normally a 5+) because I need to share in the error.Special Features:
- TonyMDined on 11/9/2014Don't know what the issue was but we waited approximately 45 minutes for our food to arrive. When it did arrive we had to leave to catch an 8 o'clock show so we packed it up to go. Manager apologized and comped the entire meal. This was my worse experience here as I frequent this place often.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/9/2014We were seated in the closed in balcony, a characterless room with temperature regulation issues. One patron was displaced from her seat so the host could stand on her seat and turn off the heat. Within about 15min the fans overhead were circulating only cold air and people started putting extra layers on. We also waited 45 minutes for our drinks to arrive, which only came after the appetizers were delivered and we asked the waiter where they were. Perhaps they were having a bad night, but the service was quite poor.Special Features:
- Did not meet our expectationsElizabethDined on 11/9/2014For a restaurant priced at this level, the service and food simply did not meet the bar. We had an okay experience, something like we might expect at Friday's or Chili's, but not what we were hoping for here. We made a reservation, and the host led us past many really nice tables to sit next to a plastic window in their semi-outdoor area. The heat was cranked too high as a response to the cold outside, and the wall shook with the wind. Our server was pleasant, but was responsible for this entire afterthought of a section, with around 15-20 tables in all. As such, he couldn't get around to us very often, and we were left waiting for a long time many times throughout the meal. I got the fish tacos, which were okay, but not the best, and my husband got ravioli which was good, though a touch too sweet. Our drinks were also okay, and we would have ordered another round, as well as dessert, but everything took so long that instead after 90 minutes we asked for our check and barely made it to our show at the Warner.
- Service was not good this timevanativeVIPDined on 11/9/2014I love all of Chef Geoff's restaurants but I was really disappointed with the poor service I received on my latest visit. The server was not very attentive and had too many tables - not a good combination. On three (3) separate occasions, food was delivered that I did not order and when the soup I ordered did arrive it came without a spoon! It took me a few cycles to get someone to bring me a spoon and then the entree arrives! I was very disappointed. I will hope for better service on my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchFoodie1988Dined on 11/9/2014Brunch at Chef Geoff's was delicious! There were a few things that made the day a little odd, but overall, the food--which is the entire reason we went--was great. We had 10:30am reservations and they apparently open at 10:30am. I was a few minutes early and had to wait outside since the door was locked. They didn't actually unlock the door until about 10:35am when there were about 10 people waiting. My table enjoyed everything we ordered. Our server was on the strange side. He kind of scoffed at me with a comment I made and was just very awkward. I'd still go back and just hope he wasn't my waiter next time. It wasn't a deal breaker, but my friends and I found ourselves thinking about how odd and rude he was several days later.Special Features:
- Out of Town Dinnerrrating1114Dined on 11/8/2014Brought out of town guests here for dinner, they enjoyed the variety on the menu that had both classic dishes and new things to try. Our server was very attentive, and even thugh we were seated in an area with a lot of traffic around us, it was not too crowded or noisy.Special Features:
- Always Consistently goodDCNativeDined on 11/8/2014Food and service here is always very good. Greta location before a show at one of the many theatres.Special Features:
- O allergies. Chef Geoff's staff handled all .OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Our group had several people wih food questions and food safety perfectlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hop From The MetroFoodluvDined on 11/7/2014I have never been disappointed with the food or service at either of the Chef Geoffs I go to. A reservation is a must. Very popular with the after-work crowd. Very lively but a bit noisy. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatJayUDined on 11/4/2014This is my third visit to Chef Geoff's downtown and all three experiences have been consistently good. This time my family dined here in early evening and the service was exemplary. Food is consistently good.Special Features:
- Great FoodAnnonVIPDined on 11/4/2014But service was pretty slow (although very kind and polite, we just barley saw our server and lunch turned into a 2.5 hour affair).Special Features:
- CHEF GEOFF'S was great!DennisDined on 11/1/2014The food and service were great. The Bloody Mary's weren't that great though. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would absolutely go again!OtisDined on 10/31/2014We wanted a nice restaurant convenient to the Verizon Center for an early dinner before an 8 pm concert. We arrived a few minutes early, were seated right away, and were almost immediately greeted at our table by our server, Rachel, who was absolutely fantastic throughout the dinner...perfect timing, casual rapport with us, and provided easy (and great) suggestions. The food and wine selections were both non-typical and delicious. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic American farePhilipDeVIPDined on 10/28/2014I had been here before. This particular evening was unusually noisy, as there was an event of some kind going on. The list of wines by the glass is overly cautious and uninteresting. Service and food were reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steady as usual..DCgirlVIPDined on 10/28/2014which isn't a bad thing - always reliably good and good service. Love the attention and lively atmosphere even at lunch. Our food is always good, and enjoy some of the seasonal changes - always a good experience at Chef Geoff's!Special Features:
- Overpriced Healthy OptionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/27/2014Food is not bad at the restaurant and my chicken breast and broccoli were tasty. But for a single, butterflied chicken breast and a cup of broccoli, $18 is excessive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time in Cheff Geoff'sjlnegronDined on 10/26/2014My third time here, and it was great. The food, service, timing and everything, was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Geoff's is a gem!AIMBYDined on 10/25/2014The food was delicious; the service was outstanding; and, in back room, where we sat, you could have a quiet conversation with your dinner mate. The front of the restaurant, however, seemed lively and vibrant. The staff was very kind, attentive, and courteous. We were happy to enjoy a delicious meal at a leisurely pace, on a Saturday night in Washington, DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater PerfectionInspireMeDined on 10/25/2014Perfect meeting place to gather with friends to enjoy a nice meal & a couple of drinks before a show at the Warner Theater. The selection is diverse enough to suit a variety of tastes. The Gouda risotto ball & shrimp & grits were choice selections and we were pleased with the serving size & flavors. We didn't have room for dessert but look forward to going back to Chef Geoff's just to taste what we missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; fabulous waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014We dined there on a busy friday night. The food was amazing as I have come to expect from Chef Geoffs. The standout this time was the risotto cheese balls. The pizzas we ordered were also fantastic but the risotto balls were sublime stole the show. Our waiter was amazing and incredibly helpful with suggestions. This was an evening to remember, everything was perfect! Only bummer was we could not enjoy dessert as we were already full of fabulous food but the good news is that leaves us something to anticipate for the next time we dine here.Special Features:
- WorksNearbyDined on 10/23/2014Great location, very good food, although my lunch needed a substitution (broccoli for brussels sprouts), which was a bit disappointing). Friendly service, if a tad over-enthusiastic. I appreciate a restaurant that is easy on the ears; Chef Geoff has a calm, sophisticated ambiance without loud music or people yelling into their phones.Special Features:
- SuperbLisaDined on 10/21/2014I never complete surveys but had to share that this is an outstanding restaurant. I stumbled upon it 6 months ago with my family and we loved it.. my kids especially loved the desserts! I returned this week with 2 colleagues and it was equally wonderful. Incredible meal, great wine selection, great atmosphere. It's now one of my DC favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to the Warner TheatreKimberlyDined on 10/17/2014This restaurant is right across the street from the Warner Theaturre. It is very convenient if you are going to a play. The food tastey and the service was fairly quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutgirlsluncherVIPDined on 10/17/2014The best part of our evening as the show across the street at the Warner wasn't. Good food, quick pleasant service. Thanks!Special Features:
- ChefcassVIPDined on 10/17/2014The restaurant is extremely noisy and not conducive to table talk at all. The food and service were merely adequate. For the prices, I expected better. I ordered a glass of wine which I did not like. When I asked the server which wine he brought me, he said he had substituted a less expensive one. When I told him I didn't care for the substitute, he kept repeating that it was a cheaper and dryer wine. I left half a glass on the table. The server did not offer to replace the wine nor did he offer to remove it from my bill. The food did arrive hot and quickly. Since we were headed to the Warner Theater, that was the only saving grace.
- Near the Theaters (but that's it)love2usdayVIPDined on 10/17/2014I have dined at Chef Geoff's a few times during my 14yrs of living in the DC area. Despite those visits being spread out by a few years each time, I keep hoping that the service will improve. Sadly, it doesn't. I appreciate it's in a prime location (near both Warner and National Theaters), so it gets enough traffic that the managers and even the servers apparently aren't worried about getting business. That, is no way to DO business, in my opinion. The food is good-I got the mussels this time and they were fantastic. The truffle popcorn is also a nice treat. Yet, despite how good the food is, Chef Geoff's is usually my *last* choice in dining and almost ALWAYS the only reason I go is because I have a show to go to and the timing is tight.
- Good food and excellent desserteatingoutDined on 10/16/2014Dinner was really good, I had the mussels which were actually excellent. The trout was good and the so was the penne pasta dish. Desert was a standout, we all split maple/bacon topped cupcakes and doughnuts with accompanying sauces, excellent and easy to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't order the pad thaiVickyfromVirginiaDined on 10/14/2014This was my first visit. Based on our waiter's recommendations my companion ordered a chicken dish from the lunch specials, and ate all of it with gusto. I ordered the shrimp & chicken pad thai (not recommended by the waiter). Extremely disappointing. Totally dominated by the spices and you couldn't taste the chicken or shrimp at all. The portion was generous, but I could barely eat half of it. The moral: go with waiter's recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Fishy About the Fish TacosLipcheesVIPDined on 10/13/2014Chef Geoff's is one of my go-tos when attending evening events in the Verizon/Warner/National Theatre area. I've been enjoying the specialties offered on the menu and this time was no exception. I started with the calamari and had the fish tacos as the main entrée. The fish tacos were delicious - my taste buds were in heaven. I also tried the mini doughnuts with sauce accompaniments which capped off another fine dining experience. The half price bottle of wine night is also a great way to try new wines. Chef Geoff's now offers a Star Loyalty Program which I eagerly signed up for. Looking forward to my next visit already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a nice timeBetinabeanDined on 10/13/2014My husband and I went to dinner here before going to a concert at the Warner directly across the street. It is lovely. Low light, white tablecloths, but not pretentious. Husby had ahi tuna on a spinach salad. I had the trout over brussels sprouts and orzo. Both were good, and I had a glass of Malbec which was delicious.Special Features:
- Good BurgerotberburVIPDined on 10/13/2014I've been to Chef Geoff's numerous time, and always found the main virtue of the establishment its central location; food was a secondary concern. Nevertheless, I was very satisfied with my most recent lunch there. I may have ordered a simple burger, but it was the best burger I have had in a restaurant in several months: cooked to the requested degree of doneness, with a solid beefy flavor. My spouse was also pleased with his tuna tacos. The room is attractive, although quite corporate looking, and service was very professional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Foodlask001Dined on 10/12/2014Food was decent - nothing amazing, but you will not be disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.