Chef Geoff's Downtown
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Chef Geoff's Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chefgeoff.com/
- Phone: 2024644461x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Santos Fuentes
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Staging a star performance? Cast Chef Geoff's Downtown as your partner. Whether a small seated event or a large cocktail reception, we can accommodate groups of all sizes. Our two private dining rooms seat up to 48 and the entire restaurant can be reserved for as many as 300 guests. For more information please contact our Private Event Director, Amy Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Foster 2027067326x
- Special Events: Chef Geoff's Downtown is host to numerous wine dinners and beer dinners throughout the year. To receive information regarding our next special event sign up for our newsletter at www.chefgeoff.com.
A word from Chef Geoff's Downtown
What better place to be, than three blocks from the White House, walking distance from the Mall, across the street from the Warner Theatre, and right in the heart of Downtown? For over 11 years, Chef Geoff's Downtown has happily served Capitol Hill, theatergoers, business brokers, neighborhood friends and D.C. visitors alike with our New American Cuisine. Our expansive menu is designed to please. Enjoy 1/2 Price CG Burgers and $8.95 Pizza Pies during our phenomenal happy hour. Join us every Sunday for Brunch and every Monday for Half Price Wines. We truly have something for everyone and look forward to seeing you soon. Cheers! Chef GeoffContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chef Geoff's Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
413 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (162)good for groups (150)fit for foodies (136)special occasion (113)neighborhood gem (83)great for brunch (73)vibrant bar scene (72)hot spot (54)kid-friendly (54)romantic (36)notable wine list (35)late-night find (22)great for outdoor dining (13)scenic view (6)Show More
- Perfect for anyone with allergiesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/17/2014We had a delicious and stress-free meal here due to the staff's attentiveness. My nieces have several life-threatening allergies but are able to eat plain steak with steamed veggies. Our waitress and the manager were very accommodating and understanding. We really enjoyed our meal and were very grateful to the staff. We will continue to eat at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Went for brunch on Sunday and was very impressed with our first brunch at Chef Geoff's. The dinning room is the traditional dark hard woods and large booths and pictures of the capital that you find in many DC restaurants. The food on the other hand was not like most other restaurants in the area. Every thing we ordered was absolutely wonderful, fresh in season ingredients cooked to perfection. Thats really all I need to say. Definitely try the Croque Madame...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the heart of downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Great selection of menu items for restaurant week!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014This is the best of this group of restaurants. The menu is very good and interesting, without sacrificing quality. The staff are friendly and welcoming. If you were looking for someplace that is on the quiet side but also friendly to children, this is the place. Note that the restaurant sits on 13th St. not Pennsylvania. That can be confusing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant awesome foodShunDined on 8/16/2014The calamari was delicious as was the steak fritesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING SERVICE AND FOOD!AdriDined on 8/16/2014The food was AMAZING and the service was equally as good! Meera was the BEST SERVER! As soon as you walk in you are welcomed by a friendly staff and it continues on throughout your time there. Meera was so knowledgeable about the menu and food. EVERYONE IS AWESOME THERE! If I could rate it more stars I would.Special Features:
- The food is ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Need to see the grits in shrimp and grits. I respecting more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below expectationsJS212Dined on 8/15/2014For a fine dining establishment, we were disappointed. We waited almost ten minutes before a waiter came to our table and he made inappropriate comments when I asked what he thought of a specific appetizer. Our entrees came before we finished the appetizer and the dirty plates remained for ten minutes on an already small table. My husband's steak had a piece of plastic on top and our waiter brought our bill before we were served our dessert. In fact, it took so long to get dessert, he thought we had already finished. We felt that since we ordered from the restaurant week menu that our patronage was less valuable than others. We won't dine here again.
- Interesting MenuMomOfTeensDined on 8/15/2014The menu is innovative, introducing some nice new flavors and combinations, and at the same time offering regular fare for kids. Great for pre-Warner Theater dinners. Service was a bit patchy (it may have just been our waiter), but generally friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2014Went with 2 friends for Restaurant Week. Could select from anything on their menu - 3 courses $20. GREAT value. Food was very, very good. Waiters polite and helpful. Water glasses refilled w/o asking. Even though place was packed, service was very good and noise level was not overwhelming. Even with regular prices back in place, will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Geoff's is wonderful!TagalongDined on 8/15/2014Once again, Chef Geoff's works hard to please, especially during Restaurant Week, with full selection from their vast menu. It is a delight to meet with friends for lunch at Cheff Geoff's to enjoy conversation over great food!Special Features:
- Chef Geoff's for Restaurant WeekMichaelDined on 8/15/2014I made reservations knowing it was Restaurant Week. I was met and the reservation was there. Upon request we were seated in the covered outdoor area. Much to my surprise, there was no particular restaurant menu, rather, everything on the menu was open to restaurant week prices. Fantastic, I was impressed having seen the restricted menus of other locations. The service was prompt and excellent. The food was delivered quickly and hot. The meal was good, pleasant and well done. I will return.Special Features:
- Great Pre Show DinnerTheaterFansDined on 8/14/2014This is the second time we've had dinner at Chef Geoff's and both times have been great experiences. Our server Merra greeted us with smile, was knowledgeable and efficient. Our food came out at a perfect pace and was as requested. We will be back next time we see a show at the Warner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service wasn't greatBc1234Dined on 8/14/2014It took me 20 mins to track down the waiter. Then when I tracked down another waiter, the original waiter didn't show face for the remainder of the dining experience. I don't think I will be coming back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Geoff Does It RightDogwoodVIPDined on 8/14/2014During Restaurant Week a lot of places serve 3 courses of wilted salad, rubber chicken & bread pudding (or corn starched creme brûlée). Not so Chef G. Here you order your courses off the regular menu & the only problem is so many choices-all good. Superb cuisine that is imaginative without being bizarre. Perfect entrees cooked to the diner's preference not the cook's. (I frankly don't like undercooked fish or poultry.) Wait staff is well trained, friendly & non intrusive. Bottom line: we were drawn in by Restaurant Week promotion & completely won over & will be back often in order to try many of the choices offered. Isn't that what a restaurant week should be about?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Full lunchDCFoodie2UDined on 8/14/2014I decided to have lunch here for DC Restaurant Week, so glad I did. I was very surprised by the lunch sized portions. The trout was excellent as was the New Clam Chowder. Mira, our server, was very attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but DeafeningAndyDined on 8/14/2014My only complaint about Chef Geoff's was the decibel level. It was noisy and the acoustics are terrible; we really couldn't hear each other unless we shouted, which only made the overall noise worse. The service, though it had some fits and starts due to the Restaurant Week mob, was attentive and professional. Food was slam dunk all around. We recommend: tuna tacos, catfish tacos, mussels and salmon as main courses, beet salad, spinach salad, gazpacho and lobster bisque as appetizers. Desserts were huge, but some at our table felt the pineapple upside down cake was too sweet.Special Features:
- Great business lunchRUNMORUNDined on 8/14/2014We celebrated a group's accomplishment over lunch at Chef Geoff's Downtown. Worked out well.Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014We have been to Chef Geoff's a couple times during various restaurant weeks and have had wonderful service and food every time. The tuna tar tar and the scallops are amazing. I was hoping that a couple dishes would have not been taken off them menu for restaurant week, so I definitely will be back outside of restaurant week to try some of their dishes that were not on the restaurant week menu.Special Features:
- Great food!BHardyDined on 8/13/2014I went to chef Geoff for restaurant week and it turned out to be the best restaurant week I've been to. It's set up so you can try anything on the menu as your main course, from salad to an 8 oz steak, all for a set price. I had the plantains, a black bean burger, and assorted ice creams for dessert. Everything exceeded my expectations. My only complaint is that there were several open tables (unreserved) by the front window but they wouldn't seat us there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/13/2014We chose Chef Geoff's to try their restaurant menu. They offered most of the same items as on their regular menu. Portions were full-size and delicious - I had to bring 1/2 of everything home! Service was great. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.
- FPLUreunitesDined on 8/13/2014Just went for lunch during restaurant week. Party of 8 turned into 9 and they happily accommodated the extra person at the last minute, actually switching the entire party to a better table. We got there at 11:30 and we were able to juggle spots but it became quite full after that. lots of big parties, still great service. Food was wonderful as always. We especially like the fact that you can choose from ALL the items on their lunch list, unlike some restaurants were the Restaurant week lunch menu is limited to 2 - 4 selections in each category. We love Chef Geoff's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Successful redifiingPhilipDeVIPDined on 8/12/2014I hadn't been to Chef Geoff's for years, but found the menu far more interesting than the last time I was there, with more offerings on the spicy side, which I like, rather than the sweet side. On the other hand, Champagne by the glass is no longer available, and wine offerings by the glass are limited and cautious. Surely, a greater number of bottle offerings can be offered by the glass, as well.Special Features:
- Excellent Restaurant Week MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014We went in a group of four. All the appetizers were very tasty: sliders were the best with nicely seasoned meatballs; lamb samosas were unexpectedly good; and Crispy Calamari was light and flaky. Entrees were equaly delicious: Crab cakes, Herb Salmon w/potato-artichoke cake, and fish tacos. Desserts did not exactly wowed us with the Pineapple Upside down being the worst. It was tough to bite into and tasted of canned pineapple. Service could be a bit more quicker; but considering the busy Restaurant Week, 2 hour lunch went fast.Special Features:
- Disappointing...nannerDined on 8/12/2014It began with uninspired rolls in the bread basket. The lobster bisque was heavy on the salt and light on the lobster. The light and healthy crab cake was tasteless. It was basically just a bunch of crab without much seasoning, crumbs or mayo. For God sakes, add some fresh herbs and spices to liven it up! The best part of the meal was the cheesecake I had for dessert!
- our groupJackVIPDined on 8/12/2014Our regular group luncheon at Chef Geoff's this month. Promptly seated by the host. Orders were taken. Ice tea drinkers were not provided with "pink" sweetener packets, each used a personal stash. Delivery of the food from the kitchen was slow. We asked about it twice as some had a deadline to complete our lunch. We found the waiter insincere in his desire to meet our needs, verbally unresponsive to phrase it correctly. Eventually the food arrived - it was restaurant week - it was busy - we found the portions were more than adequate, the food was excellent. All in all, a good experience, not the best we've had - we dine around town every month and have been doing so for years, so for food - a good spot, for service, not so muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant Week VenuePjtrivitaVIPDined on 8/12/2014Chef Geoff's makes their entire menu available for Restaurant Week with FULL PORTIONS!! It is almost impossible to eat a full 3 course meal here and not take some home. And everything is amazing! Great food, wonderful service and a fun experience. Came for lunch twice this week!Special Features:
- Awesome Shrimp & GritsSunshyneDined on 8/11/2014Visited Chef Geoff's during restaurant week- Food and service was AWESOME!!!! Going back on Friday, LOLSpecial Features:
- Urbanspoon found a great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014While in Washington DC we found restaurants hard to spot from the street. The urbanspoon app came to the rescue and guided us to Chef Geoff. Great food, good atmosphere and suitable for all agesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ungrateful waiterreview2Dined on 8/9/2014We had a pleasant-enough evening and the waiter was quite friendly, even over-friendly. We tipped at 18%, with rounding to dollars. The waiter went out of his way to act rude as we left - what an ingrate. It really left an unpleasant feeling as we left.
- wearytravelerMrPotatoHeadVIPDined on 8/9/2014Good selection including vegetarian. Great Tuna Tartare. Good value overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varied Menu, Attentive StaffPD7283Dined on 8/8/2014This was my first time at this location. I loved the menu... being a vegetarian is sometimes very limiting, but I had lots of good options and was not disappointed in my selection. Our waited was very good, offering suggestions from the menu and checking on us frequently without being overbearing. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luncheons at Chef Geoff's DowntownTomassoVIPDined on 8/6/2014Consistent, good food. I go primarily for business lunches due to proximity, reasonable costs, and decent food. Noise level can be pretty loud if you want to have a serious conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gino was great!manfriedDined on 8/5/2014We went here for a birthday and our server Gino made dinner extremely special. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and superb serviceFamilyfunDined on 8/5/2014Visiting DC with out family of 6 plus grandparents and were recommended Chef Geoffs. Simply superb. Great variety. 8 main course dishes and desserts were simply awesome. One of the best servers we ever had!! Go here!'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Geoff'sSmadadDined on 8/5/2014I can always count on have a great meal at Chef Geoff's. We had a table of 6 and everyone was pleased. I got the shrimp and girts to go and that meal was really good later in the evening.Special Features:
- Pre theater diningCatchatDined on 8/2/2014This was a nice place to go before heading across the street to the warner theater. Good variety of food, various prices.Special Features:
- Great pre-theatre diningGJC99Dined on 8/2/2014Right across the street from the Warner Theatre, I dined there before a show. The food was excellent (avocado lobster roll and crab cake sandwich). The cinamon doughnuts dessert with three sauces was delicious. The service was good except that the waitress forgot to bring our bread until right before the main courses arrived. Would defintely recommend.
- Another wonderful mealAllyDined on 8/2/2014I had the mushroom ravioli, which was fantastic. My boyfriend had the salmon and it was the first time I've seen him clean his plate in ages. We both had a wonderful time. The service was spectacular, as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firiend's birhtdayJocsonDined on 8/1/2014Good food and great atmosphere. Ushered to a good table by the window.Special Features: