Chef Geoff's Downtown
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Chef Geoff's Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chefgeoff.com/
- Phone: 2024644461x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Santos Fuentes
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Staging a star performance? Cast Chef Geoff's Downtown as your partner. Whether a small seated event or a large cocktail reception, we can accommodate groups of all sizes. Our two private dining rooms seat up to 48 and the entire restaurant can be reserved for as many as 300 guests. For more information please contact our Private Event Director, Amy Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Foster 2027067326x
- Special Events: Chef Geoff's hosts numerous specials events, including wine dinners, beer dinners, cooking classes and more. To receive information regarding our next special event sign up for our newsletter at www.chefgeoff.com.
- Cross Street: on 13th between E and F streets
- Public Transit: Metro Center
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We have partnered with Parking Panda to allow guests to purchase guaranteed parking near Chef Geoff’s Downtown in advance. Go to www.parkingpanda.com and search for our restaurant. Enter time you plan to park. Once purchased, present your purchased confirmation at the selected location and this serves as your payment with no additional payments or fees. Parking availability can be limited, so it is strongly recommended that you purchase your parking for Chef Geoff’s Downtown in advance.
A word from Chef Geoff's Downtown
What better place to be, than three blocks from the White House, walking distance from the Mall, across the street from the Warner Theatre, and right in the heart of Downtown? For over 11 years, Chef Geoff's Downtown has happily served Capitol Hill, theatergoers, business brokers, neighborhood friends and D.C. visitors alike with our New American Cuisine. Our expansive menu is designed to please. Enjoy 1/2 Price CG Burgers and $8.95 Pizza Pies during our phenomenal happy hour. Join us every Sunday for Brunch and every Monday for Half Price Wines. We truly have something for everyone and look forward to seeing you soon. Cheers! Chef GeoffContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chef Geoff's Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
349 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (149)good for groups (132)fit for foodies (127)special occasion (90)neighborhood gem (76)vibrant bar scene (63)great for brunch (47)hot spot (46)kid-friendly (39)romantic (31)notable wine list (30)late-night find (21)great for outdoor dining (11)scenic view (8)Show More
- Girls Night OutgirlsluncherVIPDined on 10/17/2014The best part of our evening as the show across the street at the Warner wasn't. Good food, quick pleasant service. Thanks!Special Features:
- ChefcassVIPDined on 10/17/2014The restaurant is extremely noisy and not conducive to table talk at all. The food and service were merely adequate. For the prices, I expected better. I ordered a glass of wine which I did not like. When I asked the server which wine he brought me, he said he had substituted a less expensive one. When I told him I didn't care for the substitute, he kept repeating that it was a cheaper and dryer wine. I left half a glass on the table. The server did not offer to replace the wine nor did he offer to remove it from my bill. The food did arrive hot and quickly. Since we were headed to the Warner Theater, that was the only saving grace.
- Good food and excellent desserteatingoutDined on 10/16/2014Dinner was really good, I had the mussels which were actually excellent. The trout was good and the so was the penne pasta dish. Desert was a standout, we all split maple/bacon topped cupcakes and doughnuts with accompanying sauces, excellent and easy to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't order the pad thaiVickyfromVirginiaDined on 10/14/2014This was my first visit. Based on our waiter's recommendations my companion ordered a chicken dish from the lunch specials, and ate all of it with gusto. I ordered the shrimp & chicken pad thai (not recommended by the waiter). Extremely disappointing. Totally dominated by the spices and you couldn't taste the chicken or shrimp at all. The portion was generous, but I could barely eat half of it. The moral: go with waiter's recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Fishy About the Fish TacosLipcheesVIPDined on 10/13/2014Chef Geoff's is one of my go-tos when attending evening events in the Verizon/Warner/National Theatre area. I've been enjoying the specialties offered on the menu and this time was no exception. I started with the calamari and had the fish tacos as the main entrée. The fish tacos were delicious - my taste buds were in heaven. I also tried the mini doughnuts with sauce accompaniments which capped off another fine dining experience. The half price bottle of wine night is also a great way to try new wines. Chef Geoff's now offers a Star Loyalty Program which I eagerly signed up for. Looking forward to my next visit already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a nice timeBetinabeanDined on 10/13/2014My husband and I went to dinner here before going to a concert at the Warner directly across the street. It is lovely. Low light, white tablecloths, but not pretentious. Husby had ahi tuna on a spinach salad. I had the trout over brussels sprouts and orzo. Both were good, and I had a glass of Malbec which was delicious.Special Features:
- Good BurgerotberburVIPDined on 10/13/2014I've been to Chef Geoff's numerous time, and always found the main virtue of the establishment its central location; food was a secondary concern. Nevertheless, I was very satisfied with my most recent lunch there. I may have ordered a simple burger, but it was the best burger I have had in a restaurant in several months: cooked to the requested degree of doneness, with a solid beefy flavor. My spouse was also pleased with his tuna tacos. The room is attractive, although quite corporate looking, and service was very professional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Foodlask001Dined on 10/12/2014Food was decent - nothing amazing, but you will not be disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- you get what you expectflevyVIPDined on 10/7/2014you don't go there for the food, the service or the ambiance. You go there because it is there and predictable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOOD AND GREAT SERVICEluv2dineDined on 10/5/2014Everthing was wonderful. I enjoyed the food as usual. This wasn't my first time and I promise this will not be my last time here. Chef Geoff you, the food and your staff rock! Keep it up!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasted time and moneyMmooreDined on 10/4/2014food was not prepared properly for one of our party. It took about 10 minutes to find the waiter to send the food back. It took another 20 minutes to get the food cooked properly And then that person ate alone because everyone else in the party had eaten their cold food while waiting. The second time around the food was still not cooked properly and the entrée was incomplete. Service was also poor. The waiter was rarely around. Silverware was incomplete. Steak knives were not delivered to cook the steak. Every time we needed the waiter we had to look for him. So while we were waiting for 5 to 10 minutes for steak knives the food was getting cold. Entrées were incomplete and it is waiters job to check entrées before serving them.
- CheffCG44Dined on 10/4/2014Nice evening - slow service. Things started off nice, we were seated immediately. Service was slow from there forward which detracted from the overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/2/2014The menu was unique and the food presentation was heaven. Our server was not only attentive but he was very funny. I would return in a heartbeat. Best dining experience to end my Washington DC adventure.Special Features:
- Great experience every timeTobyATLDined on 10/1/2014My friend loves Chef Geoff's, and I understand why. The food is excellent, as is the wait staff. Definitely make a reservation in order to get in, as it's always crowded (and therefore noisy). But it's worth it.Special Features:
- Hard to hearOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/1/2014When I made my reservation, I requested to be seated in a quieter area and noted that I have a hearing impairment. I arrived on time but was seated in the middle of a room near the bar and the entrance where people waiting for tables collected. I reminded the host that I had requested quieter seating but was told that was all that was available. I had difficulty enjoying conversation with my lunch partner. In the past, Chef Geoff has accommodated my request for quieter seating. They assured me they would do so in the future and were very appologetic. One slip-up won't stop me from coming back to this excellent restaurant, but customers who, like me, need a little TLC should perhaps call to remind them of your needs before coming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedMissedDined on 9/28/2014The food was good but the drinks were not good at all. For the price, I would go somewhere else. I had the lobster bisque, which was OK, and the caesar salad. My friends had the burgers and calamari, which they said were good. But there's really nothing special about this place- it's dressed up fancy, but there's no view or welcoming presence and the menu is just typical/average.Special Features:
- GOOD - very goodLisaLisaDined on 9/27/2014I had always wanted to go one of the Chef Geoff's restaurants. The reputation is great. Well, Chef Geoff lived up to all of that. It was a wonderful experience. All three of us got different styles of entrees without disappointment. I can't say enough good things about Chef Geoff. Besides the food, the staff is amazing also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Too loud to enjoy a conversation over dinner. While the food & service were good, the overall experience was a dissapointment.Special Features:
- Great menuChefMomDined on 9/26/2014They easily accommodated our party of 7. The menu was great with some oldies but goodies but also some new and different combinations you don't see everywhere. It was a tough choice, but the scallops melted in my mouth like cotton candy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2014Great location, the food is good, and the staff extremely accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomenoesweekDined on 9/19/2014I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a menu with something for everyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not exciting, but very nice serviceKathleneVIPDined on 9/19/2014My first visit -- a good place if you're looking for a safe place to take relatively unadventurous eaters, but don't want to totally capitulate :) Our server was really lovely -- attentive, helpful, but not overbearing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwitzerlandVIPDined on 9/17/2014Gilbert provided outstanding service. The fish tacos were excellent, as were the burgers, and the plaintains and guacamole were a wonderful starter.Special Features:
- HarryMargaretDined on 9/16/2014Food was good. Service good attentive. Beer excellent. Had chefs specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for a groupNew2BaltimoreDined on 9/14/2014Chef Geoff's is a good place for a large group, especially after a race in downtown DC, for Sunday morning brunch. We made reservations in advance and had no issues being seated. Our orders were taken promptly and food arrived relatively quickly. The biscuits that arrived while we were waiting for our food were tasty and appreciated. One member of our party did not realize, until after he'd already eaten much of his food, that he'd received the wrong dish. He was so hungry, he simply didn't notice at first. We mentioned this to our waiter who checked on it - and apologized. He had, in fact, received the wrong dish. They brought the correct one to go, and both were removed from the bill. Oh, and we were also given free beignets!Special Features:
- Pre-Show DinnerwineandfoodDined on 9/13/2014I liked the look and feel of restaurant and the menu selection. Staff was pleasant. Before ordering waiter asked if we were trying to catch a show. I told him we were, but my reservation gave us an hour and a half to enjoy the dinner before the show. With that said, we ordered an appetizer and dinner and we received the appetizer within 10 minutes of ordering. We both had just taken our FIRST bite of our appetizer (3 minutes from when it arrived) and the dinner came out. I told them to take it away. I have a feeling that same plate was warmed and came out 10 minutes later. It's a pet peeve of mine when this happens. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Waiter, however, was very apologetic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater SuccessRichDined on 9/13/2014Show was right around the corner, so we booked to account for a little more than an hour lunch. Great waiter, John, was attentive but not overbearing, and he arranged for the kitchen to hold our left-overs until after the show! So the meal was great twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theatre choiceCotnawaDined on 9/12/2014We dined at Chef Geoff's prior to a recent theatre outing. The service was stellar - very personable, attentive without rushing, and knowledgeable about the menu. Menu choices were varied and interesting - everything from expected steaks to pizza, yet with interesting choices like shrimp with Gouda grits (fantastic). The main dining room had a lively vibe, being adjacent to the busy bar. We were seated in a back room which still had decent ambiance but was quieter due to the smaller amount of seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service, but too noisyarthurDined on 9/9/2014Service was exceptional and the food was very good. But could anything be done about the noise? With a full house, it's really hard to hear the people at your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what you expectflevyVIPDined on 9/9/2014food was OK, service was OK, noise level was high. It was all just OK.
- Always a gemJoelDined on 9/6/2014My family, friends, and I have celebrated many special occasions at Chef Geoff's Downtown. They have ALWAYS done a remarkable job making these occasions memorable. They have always done their best to honor any special requests I had when I made the reservations. The service is always outstanding. The food is always a culinary delight (with the menu changing at different times of the year). The restaurant ambiance is always classy. I highly recommend Chef Geoff's Downtown. It is a consistent gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent customer servicedaninvaDined on 9/6/2014Upon arrival we were taken to our table next to a group of 14 women seated around a large table, making a lot of noise. Our waiter mentioned they had been there since 4:30. It was now about 6:20. We did not ask for a seat change. When our drinks arrived we mentioned the noise to the waiter. He left. A minute or so later a manager arrived and without asking said something like "I have a table in a quieter area for you if you will follow me." We did and enjoyed the rest of the evening. Two points: The waiter took the initiative to to tell the manager to move us without our asking him to do so. The manager arranged a table ahead of time and moved us with no wait for a table to be found or prepared. Excellent customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and not that specialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Table of 20 were screaming and singing (badly) so loud we couldn't hear each other! Food was average. Trout was dry. Server was lovely and remembered birthday candle - our thanks to her! Staff found a table for us even though we arrived 1 hr b4 reservation time. Will think more than twice b4 returningSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed the atmosphere, food and service at Chef Geoff's. Our server was outstanding! The noise level was high as there were a couple of large parties but other than that it was a great night. We had ticket to the National so it was very convenient as well. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable business lunch placecateredDined on 9/5/2014Chef Goeff's Downtown is among the first places that comes to mind for a business lunch, as everything necessary for a fulfilling business lunch is present--convenient location, pleasant environment, efficient operation, vigilent servers, tasty food, and modest prices. The courtesy extended and obvious attention to making our experience memorable keep us coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soArlingtonHatrVIPDined on 9/3/2014Food was ok. Bacon Day items were not as good as the menu seemed to suggest. Seemed to have a good bar scene, however, and has a great location.Special Features:
- Simply ModernOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/2/2014Quick taste on a busy day, simply modern. There is interesting conversation to talk about, and especially astonish with a view.
- Great food for allRestaurantFanDined on 9/1/2014Had a great lunch here with a really extensive menu. One of our dining guests has a gluten intolerance and no only did they have a special gluten free menu, but everything on it looked delicious. Everyone really enjoyed what they ordered.Special Features:
- Worst restaurant experience everVeganFoodieDined on 8/31/2014I usually love Chef Geoff's. I go to the Tyson's one and have always had a good experience. This was not the case this weekend when I went with a group of girls for dinner before a show. I ordered a vodka with a splash of grapefruit juice. When it came it was very sweet and I asked the waiter if it was made with a syrup instead of juice as it was too sweet for me. He said no...it was grapefruit juice: Ocean Spray Grapefruit juice. I said it was too sweet and I expected real grapefruit juice and could I order something in it's place. He said I could but I would still have to pay for my drink. WHAT?? Where am I? My friend took my drink and I ordered another. We were charged for all. Need I say more?
- DisappointingOldTownerDined on 8/31/2014I have eaten at the Chef Geoff's at New Mexico Ave and this location is a real step down. Food was not bad it just wasn't great. Service was very slow. I had noted when I made a reservation that we were attending theater but even so the service was very slow...sat for 15 minutes without a waitor approaching. In all fairness, the waitor had too many tables and the manager was not really interested.