Chef Geoff's Downtown
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Chef Geoff's Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chefgeoff.com/
- Phone: 2024644461x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Santos Fuentes
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Staging a star performance? Cast Chef Geoff's Downtown as your partner. Whether a small seated event or a large cocktail reception, we can accommodate groups of all sizes. Our two private dining rooms seat up to 48 and the entire restaurant can be reserved for as many as 300 guests. For more information please contact our Private Event Director, Amy Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Foster 2027067326x
- Special Events: Chef Geoff's hosts numerous specials events, including wine dinners, beer dinners, cooking classes and more. To receive information regarding our next special event sign up for our newsletter at www.chefgeoff.com.
- Cross Street: on 13th between E and F streets
- Public Transit: Metro Center
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We have partnered with Parking Panda to allow guests to purchase guaranteed parking near Chef Geoff’s Downtown in advance. Go to www.parkingpanda.com and search for our restaurant. Enter time you plan to park. Once purchased, present your purchased confirmation at the selected location and this serves as your payment with no additional payments or fees. Parking availability can be limited, so it is strongly recommended that you purchase your parking for Chef Geoff’s Downtown in advance.
A word from Chef Geoff's Downtown
What better place to be, than three blocks from the White House, walking distance from the Mall, across the street from the Warner Theatre, and right in the heart of Downtown? For over 11 years, Chef Geoff's Downtown has happily served Capitol Hill, theatergoers, business brokers, neighborhood friends and D.C. visitors alike with our New American Cuisine. Our expansive menu is designed to please. Enjoy 1/2 Price CG Burgers and $8.95 Pizza Pies during our phenomenal happy hour. Join us every Sunday for Brunch and every Monday for Half Price Wines. We truly have something for everyone and look forward to seeing you soon. Cheers! Chef GeoffContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chef Geoff's Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
394 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (153)fit for foodies (140)good for groups (136)special occasion (102)neighborhood gem (80)vibrant bar scene (75)great for brunch (58)hot spot (49)kid-friendly (47)notable wine list (35)romantic (33)late-night find (20)great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (7)Show More
- AwesomenoesweekDined on 9/19/2014I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a menu with something for everyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not exciting, but very nice serviceKathleneVIPDined on 9/19/2014My first visit -- a good place if you're looking for a safe place to take relatively unadventurous eaters, but don't want to totally capitulate :) Our server was really lovely -- attentive, helpful, but not overbearing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwitzerlandVIPDined on 9/17/2014Gilbert provided outstanding service. The fish tacos were excellent, as were the burgers, and the plaintains and guacamole were a wonderful starter.Special Features:
- HarryMargaretDined on 9/16/2014Food was good. Service good attentive. Beer excellent. Had chefs specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for a groupNew2BaltimoreDined on 9/14/2014Chef Geoff's is a good place for a large group, especially after a race in downtown DC, for Sunday morning brunch. We made reservations in advance and had no issues being seated. Our orders were taken promptly and food arrived relatively quickly. The biscuits that arrived while we were waiting for our food were tasty and appreciated. One member of our party did not realize, until after he'd already eaten much of his food, that he'd received the wrong dish. He was so hungry, he simply didn't notice at first. We mentioned this to our waiter who checked on it - and apologized. He had, in fact, received the wrong dish. They brought the correct one to go, and both were removed from the bill. Oh, and we were also given free beignets!Special Features:
- Pre-Show DinnerwineandfoodDined on 9/13/2014I liked the look and feel of restaurant and the menu selection. Staff was pleasant. Before ordering waiter asked if we were trying to catch a show. I told him we were, but my reservation gave us an hour and a half to enjoy the dinner before the show. With that said, we ordered an appetizer and dinner and we received the appetizer within 10 minutes of ordering. We both had just taken our FIRST bite of our appetizer (3 minutes from when it arrived) and the dinner came out. I told them to take it away. I have a feeling that same plate was warmed and came out 10 minutes later. It's a pet peeve of mine when this happens. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Waiter, however, was very apologetic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater SuccessRichDined on 9/13/2014Show was right around the corner, so we booked to account for a little more than an hour lunch. Great waiter, John, was attentive but not overbearing, and he arranged for the kitchen to hold our left-overs until after the show! So the meal was great twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theatre choiceCotnawaDined on 9/12/2014We dined at Chef Geoff's prior to a recent theatre outing. The service was stellar - very personable, attentive without rushing, and knowledgeable about the menu. Menu choices were varied and interesting - everything from expected steaks to pizza, yet with interesting choices like shrimp with Gouda grits (fantastic). The main dining room had a lively vibe, being adjacent to the busy bar. We were seated in a back room which still had decent ambiance but was quieter due to the smaller amount of seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service, but too noisyarthurDined on 9/9/2014Service was exceptional and the food was very good. But could anything be done about the noise? With a full house, it's really hard to hear the people at your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what you expectflevyVIPDined on 9/9/2014food was OK, service was OK, noise level was high. It was all just OK.
- Always a gemJoelDined on 9/6/2014My family, friends, and I have celebrated many special occasions at Chef Geoff's Downtown. They have ALWAYS done a remarkable job making these occasions memorable. They have always done their best to honor any special requests I had when I made the reservations. The service is always outstanding. The food is always a culinary delight (with the menu changing at different times of the year). The restaurant ambiance is always classy. I highly recommend Chef Geoff's Downtown. It is a consistent gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent customer servicedaninvaDined on 9/6/2014Upon arrival we were taken to our table next to a group of 14 women seated around a large table, making a lot of noise. Our waiter mentioned they had been there since 4:30. It was now about 6:20. We did not ask for a seat change. When our drinks arrived we mentioned the noise to the waiter. He left. A minute or so later a manager arrived and without asking said something like "I have a table in a quieter area for you if you will follow me." We did and enjoyed the rest of the evening. Two points: The waiter took the initiative to to tell the manager to move us without our asking him to do so. The manager arranged a table ahead of time and moved us with no wait for a table to be found or prepared. Excellent customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and not that specialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Table of 20 were screaming and singing (badly) so loud we couldn't hear each other! Food was average. Trout was dry. Server was lovely and remembered birthday candle - our thanks to her! Staff found a table for us even though we arrived 1 hr b4 reservation time. Will think more than twice b4 returningSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed the atmosphere, food and service at Chef Geoff's. Our server was outstanding! The noise level was high as there were a couple of large parties but other than that it was a great night. We had ticket to the National so it was very convenient as well. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable business lunch placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Chef Goeff's Downtown is among the first places that comes to mind for a business lunch, as everything necessary for a fulfilling business lunch is present--convenient location, pleasant environment, efficient operation, vigilent servers, tasty food, and modest prices. The courtesy extended and obvious attention to making our experience memorable keep us coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soArlingtonHatrVIPDined on 9/3/2014Food was ok. Bacon Day items were not as good as the menu seemed to suggest. Seemed to have a good bar scene, however, and has a great location.Special Features:
- Simply ModernOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/2/2014Quick taste on a busy day, simply modern. There is interesting conversation to talk about, and especially astonish with a view.
- Great food for allRestaurantFanDined on 9/1/2014Had a great lunch here with a really extensive menu. One of our dining guests has a gluten intolerance and no only did they have a special gluten free menu, but everything on it looked delicious. Everyone really enjoyed what they ordered.Special Features:
- Worst restaurant experience everVeganFoodieDined on 8/31/2014I usually love Chef Geoff's. I go to the Tyson's one and have always had a good experience. This was not the case this weekend when I went with a group of girls for dinner before a show. I ordered a vodka with a splash of grapefruit juice. When it came it was very sweet and I asked the waiter if it was made with a syrup instead of juice as it was too sweet for me. He said no...it was grapefruit juice: Ocean Spray Grapefruit juice. I said it was too sweet and I expected real grapefruit juice and could I order something in it's place. He said I could but I would still have to pay for my drink. WHAT?? Where am I? My friend took my drink and I ordered another. We were charged for all. Need I say more?
- DisappointingOldTownerDined on 8/31/2014I have eaten at the Chef Geoff's at New Mexico Ave and this location is a real step down. Food was not bad it just wasn't great. Service was very slow. I had noted when I made a reservation that we were attending theater but even so the service was very slow...sat for 15 minutes without a waitor approaching. In all fairness, the waitor had too many tables and the manager was not really interested.
- BrunchMrsSVIPDined on 8/31/2014We arrived around the start of brunch and they tried to put us in a small booth next to a lady who was quietly having her brunch- 4 of us to disturb her- this rubbed me the wrong way so beware of your seating. I had the smoked salmon frittata with pineapple upside-down cake for dessert- i would go back just for dessert. It was fantastic! not sure why it is served with chocolate ice cream so i opted for vanilla but the crunch pieces added as garnish were a great touch. I recommend reservation as towards the end of brunch @ 1 it was crowded.Special Features:
- Great for theater-goersRecomendedbyFriendsDined on 8/29/2014We ate at Chez-Geoff's because it was convenient to our theater reservations. It was nicely decorated and saw to it that we left in plenty of time for our show. I made the mistake of ordering off their healthy menu and found that serving quite bland as most healthy food is.Special Features:
- Great place to go pre-theater.MickeyDined on 8/29/2014Our server was very responsive, the food was great, nice atmosphere, prompt service for a pre-theater dinner - all-over good place to go in D.C.Special Features:
- DisappointingAKoelschMaedcheDined on 8/29/2014The food was not good at all. I was really excited about what we ordered and highly disappointed when we got it. It was all quite boring and for that priced way too high. Waiter did not offer us bread (all other tables got it) and only told us about specials when we asked. Only good thing about the restaurant was the location, as we were going to the theater afterwards. I would not go back!
- serviceunappreciatedVIPDined on 8/29/2014They serve so many tourists that they seem to be going through the motions. As a local who likes Chef Geoff's when we are in town, this bothers me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Attitude!DavetheWaveDined on 8/28/2014When Chef Geoff first opened, service was terrific and the staff was incredibly welcoming. However, based upon my last two experiences at Chef Geoff, the staff has developed an attitude. I made a 6:30 reservation. When my party arrived around 6:00 pm, the Maitre'D told me that I would have to wait my turn, as he had to seat the 6:00 pm reservations. Now mind you, the restaurant tables were more than half empty and there were two parties behind us. After seating the 6:00 pm reservations, the Maitre'D completely ignored us. Finally, at 6:15, I went up to the guy and asked if he was going to make us wait until 6:30. He said no, then seated outside, where it was about 80 degrees (and I was wearing a suit). Food was good; staff was awful!Special Features:
- Location, location, locationDedwardsDined on 8/27/2014Conveniently located near to both the Warner and National theater. There was a great happy hour menu and bar scene. Get there early enough and just enjoy that limited menu. There is lots to choose from. We got there early enough to have drink in the bar and let the host at the front know our reservation time and that we would be in the bar. They never came for us and we had a hard time getting our check for our bar items. We reminded the host we were there for our reservation and we were seated immediately.Special Features:
- The ruben [sic] was horribleneveragainDined on 8/27/2014I ordered the ruben and fries. The meat in the ruben resembled thick cut bacon that had been re-heated. it was leathery and strips were laid out on the bread. I've never had a reuben like the awful one i had at Chef Geoff's. In addition, the fries were overly salted. I like salty fried and chips, but these fries had double the amount of salt. I couldn't brush the salt off because of the greasiness of the fries (and the sandwich!). I would have taken a photo but I was with a guest so I sucked it up.
- Snowharp2VIPDined on 8/26/2014Our server was excellent, our food was excellent. The atmosphere was great for a Tuesday night (The National Theatre was having a show so it may for a lively time -- in a good way -- since we were there just before 7:00 p.m.) We took our 20 year old son who is returning to university and he thought it was great. We have been to the one in McLean but he really wanted to go to the downtown one. He went with CG burger and said it was delicious. Made for a lovely family evening for us. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/26/2014best meal we've had there. Picked it due to location but will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Perfect for pre-theaterAimaleeDined on 8/26/2014Good good and served quickly. Worked out perfect to see my show at National!Special Features:
- birthday bluesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2014took my mother here for her bday and was severely disappointed. i have been there several times before and have never had an experience as awful as this. it was one of the least memorable birthdays, even after putting the birthday note on the reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not All ThatrestauranteerDined on 8/25/2014This was my third visit this year. Generally, the service is very good; however, I have found the food to be mediocre and overpriced. The salad was terrible due to the lettuce having a very pungent taste. The salmon I ordered was dry. And the worst part of all is that the noise level was through the roof. So, in summary, if you're up for eating a very mediocre meal in a noisy environment that is completely overpriced, then perhaps this restaurant will serve you we'll.
- Food was okhousedividedDined on 8/24/2014The food at Chef Geoff's was ok. We had the guoda/rissoto appetizer, I had the shrimp and grits for my dinner and my husband had the pepperoni pizza. The cheese in the middle of teh appetizer wasn't even warm, much less melted and my husband's pizza was not very good. It didn't have any sauce and was covered in salad, as my husband described it. The service, though, was much better than most of the places we went while in DC.Special Features:
- Sunday night diningCapsFanVIPDined on 8/24/2014We had an early dinner here after a Nats game and before watching the tango-ers on Liberty Plaza. The menu had a wonderful variety and made us want to come back to try more. We were eating light, so selected from the starters. Crispy calamari was our favorite, the wedge salad and Caesar salads were delicious. Service was friendly and at just the right pace.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/21/2014The service and food was very good. The restaurant was nice of enough to accommodate our late arrival.Special Features:
- Good food but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014I met a former co-worker for lunch because it's half way between where we work. I felt like we shouted the whole lunch. Food and Service was good but not a place to go if you want to catch up.Special Features:
- Perfect for anyone with allergiesrosewater17Dined on 8/17/2014We had a delicious and stress-free meal here due to the staff's attentiveness. My nieces have several life-threatening allergies but are able to eat plain steak with steamed veggies. Our waitress and the manager were very accommodating and understanding. We really enjoyed our meal and were very grateful to the staff. We will continue to eat at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday brunchtravDined on 8/17/2014Went for brunch on Sunday and was very impressed with our first brunch at Chef Geoff's. The dinning room is the traditional dark hard woods and large booths and pictures of the capital that you find in many DC restaurants. The food on the other hand was not like most other restaurants in the area. Every thing we ordered was absolutely wonderful, fresh in season ingredients cooked to perfection. Thats really all I need to say. Definitely try the Croque Madame...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the heart of downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Great selection of menu items for restaurant week!I would recommend this to a friend.