Chedi Thai Bistro
737 Pearl St. Suite 110
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Chedi Thai Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chedithaibistro.com/
- Phone: 8585518424
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Thai, Asian
- Executive Chef: Sutharin Pia Kampuntip
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chedi Thai Bistro
We invite you to savor a distinctive home cooked meal. From traditional Thai favorites, to unique vegetarian creations, every dish is conscientiously prepared with healthy balance in mind. We shop at various produce and specialty markets daily in order to serve you the freshest and highest quality ingredients. Your meals are cooked in olive and canola oils, and the only flavor enhancers we add are love and creativity.Continued
Our menu was inspired by the favorites of the original Thai cuisine in Thailand. Come, be our guests and enjoy the experience of contemporary Thai dining.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chedi Thai Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (3)great for lunch (2)good for groups (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Excellent Thai FoodWineguyVIPDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I shared the Lovers appetizer which was great. I really liked the shrimp dumpling that was part of it. Their Pang Curry is excellent and their Drunken noodles were very tasty. We will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thai in La JollaOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/22/2014Portions were very generous! We had spring rolls for appetizers that are twice the size of other restaurants. I did my best to not inhale them before my entree came. We also had the veggie dumplings which I wasn't crazy about but my co-workers seemed to really enjoy them. I had the turmeric curry (without shrimp); though the broth and vegetables were delicious, I could have done without the noodles which were a little overcooked. I would have rather had the entree with rice instead, but overall a great dish. I definitely will make sure to stop by again next time I'm in the La Jolla area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 128 reviews are from the Chedi Thai Bistro reviews archive.
- Food and service is fantastic!5h3rm6nDined on 4/19/2014Clean and beautiful environment. Food slightly pricey but taste and portions almost makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well done Thai food; Nice SettingpartyOf3Dined on 4/13/2014We were a visiting party of 5 (including 2 vegetarians) and everyone was pleased with their dishes. I especially liked the Tom Kha Gai (coconut chicken soup with lime and galanga root) which I consider the "litmus test" dish to judge a Thai restaurant). The spices were nicely balanced, the chicken was all breast meat, the lemon grass, galanga root and kefir lime leaves were in good proportion. I prefer straw mushrooms, however. The chef is liberal with the "heat" index, so order conservatively unless you like really spicy food. We also enjoyed the Pad Thai and musmun curry. The decor is pleasant, but not intimate. Thai food is inexpensive in some locales. Not so much in La Jolla. I'd go there again, given the chance.Special Features:
- Modern ThaiFranny58Dined on 3/5/2014Food delicious and setting updated and modern. Unusual as many Thai restaurants can be basic with very little ambience. Service good and priced moderately for San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Thaicaligirl61Dined on 2/14/2014The restaurant is small and well appointed with a water feature and nice artwork. The food was delicious. I had halibut with a tamarind sauce, delicate and flavorful. My husband had a noodle dish with scallops that he enjoyed. We ate there on Valentine's so it was a bit more hectic than usual, but we'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Hard to decide; so many choices!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014My friend and both were impressed with our first visit on Saturday night. Plenty of great choices, even for me as a vegetarian. Will definitely plan to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overallehamamotoDined on 1/20/2014From the time we sat down to the time we checked in was very good we came during of time, the service was fantastic the food was great I would recommend it to anybody.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Thai foodHeatherDined on 1/19/2014The staff were kind and the food was good. Most of us liked the food very much, but we all agreed that curries are a bit sweet. If the food were less sweetend it would be much much better. But the soups were fantastic. and we loved the creme brulee!! The overall price is also nice. I would recommend this place to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was wonderful..LoriVIPDined on 12/25/2013Everything was wonderful.. Service, food, etc. Cant wait to return. Great place to have in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- Not really that greatDonInAtlantaVIPDined on 12/25/2013We both ordered the same entrée, one at a spice level of 5, the other at a spice level of 10 out of 10. Both dishes came out exactly the same -- quite mild, like a 1. Also the flavors in our dish did not blend together. It's as if it was a bunch of separate ingredients which did not come together as they should have. The crispy calamari appetizer was good, but the entrees spoiled the meal. We will not go back to this place.
- best green currymarcozDined on 12/25/2013best green curry I have ever had (and I have had quite a few), nice that the waitress recommended some dishes and her recommendations were good (yummy dessert). The place was packed as it was Christmas day but the staff were all very friendly and efficient. Will definitely go there again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good La Jolla findSanDiegoFoodLoverDined on 10/25/2013Tried this on the recommendation of Food Lover's Guide to San Diego, by Maria Montana, an excellent guidebook. Food was very good. Started with appetizers of crispy calamari and steamed veggie dumplings - yum - then went on to the Red Snapper, which was crispy and delicious, and a curry, which was also very tasty. The wait staff was mixed; our waiter was friendly, but easily distractible, and forgot a few things here and there. Will try this one again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have eaten in many thaimaryDined on 10/17/2013I have eaten in many thai restaurants and this one was as good as any. Food was excellent. Had the best calamari as an appetizer and it was as good as any I've ever had. We had many selections and are were excellent. I'd go back tomorrow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many servers, no guidanceCarolDined on 9/28/2013We had to many servers, some one sat us that was normal. Then we got a Waiter who took our order. So another person brought out our drinks Some one different brought each part of the 3 course meal. We had so many people serving us the waiter gave us the check before we had the dessert he asked if we wanted. And none of the 4 or 5 servers asked how was the food
- Restaurant WeekYumYumDined on 9/24/2013My friend and I decided to try this place out for Restaurant Week, and it was a pretty decent experience. The menu options were amazing--it was hard to make a decision on the 3 courses we'd be having. Even so, after finally coming to a decision, we were extremely happy with our food choices. The only issue we had was with how long it took to get dessert after the main course, as well as the bill--between finishing the main course and getting our cards back to pay, it took 40 minutes. You could tell, however, that they were probably overwhelmed with the Restaurant Week crowd. That will in no way prevent me from coming here again or recommending the food to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekThailovergirlsDined on 9/20/2013We went to Chedi during restaurant week because it was the only place we found that had available reservations before 9pm. The food was good although not as good as other Thai I've had in San Diego. Loved the chocolate dessert though. The wine was good too. The service was friendly, but I was a little annoyed at their seeming rush to get us out of there. With the 3-course restaurant week meal, they brought our main course before we had finished appetizers and dessert well before we had finished dinner. But the meal was nice overall.
- A delicious accidental dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/17/2013My wife and I stripped by for late Thai dinner while waiting for our son to finish his business dinner across the street. it was an absolutely delicious and enjoyable surprise. The food was aromatic & delicious, the service superb, and the atmosphere delightful. We we even provided with complimentary Thai ice teas shortly before closing time! We'll definitely return in the near future. Chedi Thai Bistro is one of the best Thai restaurants in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great, not terriblelacachetDined on 9/17/2013Came here for restaurant week. Prices are a little steep compared to other Thai restaurants in San Diego. Tom Kah Soup was excellent. My snapper was too ginger-y, and didn't taste fresh; otherwise a good texture and nicely fried. Dessert was ginger creme brulee, which was good--thankfully much less ginger than the fish. Wish they filled the ramekin a little more than 1/2 cm from the bottom the sugar brulee was actually overpowering the creme. It's worth a try if you're in the area on a nice date. Be warned: it's not super authentic Thai, rather Americanized in my opinion. Service was excellent, we had Lin as our waitress--she checked on us and got me a better drink when I told her I didn't like the one I'd ordered!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceEltooDined on 8/20/2013We came for the happy hour and loved the selection. We also ordered off the main menu and had a wonderful vegetarian curry. The food was flavorful and beautifully presented, and the service was attentive and prompt and unobtrusive. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of a strange one. WeKAS1VIPDined on 6/26/2013A bit of a strange one. We arrived and there was one other table seated and the rest of the place was empty. There was one woman handling the front, seating, serving and take-out orders. There were MANY take-out orders. As the time went by others came into the restaurant. Clearly they were not expecting to be busy and cut back on upfront staff. Turned out to be good food and the one server who was running her you know what off did a nice job.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great. EveryoneOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2013Service was great. Everyone was attentive, smiling and eager to please. However we were the only patrons in this small restaurant when we went for an early dinner. Ambience was nice, also. Plates were beautifully decorated. The texture of my Chilean Sea Bass was not as firm as I would prefer, and the duck my friend ordered was dry. The sauces and accompaniments were delicious. And the Thai dessert in coconut milk was delicious.
- Food was great! We eat ThaiMatteyoDined on 5/12/2013Food was great! We eat Thai a lot, and this had a few diverse options for the more eager palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been craving the panangOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/23/2013I have been craving the panang angus beef ever since! Food was fantastic!Special Features:
- Sorry nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/22/2013All reviews seemed excellent. Maybe they had an off night but the appetizer was greasy, the fish was dry and the lamb was tough.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2013This is the fourth time we've been to Chedi Thai Bistro. We keep coming back and bringing new friends. Everything we've ordered has been delicious and fresh. This is definitely our go-to place when entertaining family and friends.Special Features:
- The quality of the food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013The quality of the food was not as good as last time we were there (2 years ago). The servers were very attentive, but just too quick to take plates away, e.g. to serve the dessert before one of us had not even finished the second course..Special Features:
- The food was very good! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013The food was very good! The menu for restaurant week was great- a good amount for only $10 per person. We were surprised how vacant this place was with the food being very good. Our server was nice- the staff could be friendlier and more inviting. We love Thai food and were used to picking our own heat with the selected dish, but the dishes here came with a heat already and you would have to pick the dish based on the heat you want.Special Features:
- Chedi thai is an amazing place;BundrDined on 1/17/2013Chedi thai is an amazing place; there isn't a single thing on the menu that doesn't look good, and everything i had was fantastic. everyone else's dish was amazing too. This place appears to be very popular as we had reservations but when i got there they were turning away anyone without reservations because they were so busy, the wait was over an hour. Granted this was during Restaurant Week, still probably a good idea to make reservations if you're going to go!Special Features:
- Chedi Thai Bistro is a hiddenMmmDietCokeVIPDined on 1/6/2013Chedi Thai Bistro is a hidden gem in San Diego. Great food, great service and a comfortable dining environment. High quality in and out. Great attention to detail and it shows. I'd happily return to Chedi Thai!Special Features:
- Not what we had hoped forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/4/2013We went to this restaurant because it was close to the Comedy Store where we had plans later that evening. We had a waiter named Nate who we really liked. Unfortunately the food was bland. To be clear, the food wasn't bad, it just had no kick at all. I would compare it to Chinese food. When ordering, Nate had asked us how spicy we wanted the food and gave us a range of 1 through 5 explaining that 5 was very spicy. We went with 4 based on his recommendation. Not sure what happened but there was no spice at all. Maybe if we had went with 5 it would have been better.
- The staff were very attentive.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/18/2012The staff were very attentive. We never had a problem with a water glass running dry or waiting to ask about the menu when wanting to order. The food was also amazing. The steamed vegetable dumplings were unique and enjoyable. I also had the Pad Thai that was amazing with a memorable presentation. The mango and sticky rice and fried banana left me feeling very satisfied. The interior gives you a modern yet authentic Thai feel.Special Features:
- As always we had great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012As always we had great service and food. The only negative, which is small because it's never happened before, was my food was not spicy even though I asked for medium spicy. I think they just forgot to add the red pepper flakes. I didn't even consider sending the food back because it still tasted great. We have frequented this restaurant many times and that is the worst comment I have ever had to leave. Love this place.Special Features:
- I would recommend this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012I would recommend this place for Take-Out ONLY. The food was good but the service was incredibly bad. They were not prepared for our reservation and we had to ASK for everything including... Please give us menus, Where is our wine?, Where is our entree?, Where is our dessert?. No course was served without a prompt from us. The service was so bad it was almost comical, we kept looking for the SNL camera. The poor service over shadowed what was pretty good food.
- Not the best Thai in townOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2012lukewarm food, small portions and very very noisy and cramped!
- It was so LOUD I could notDanblakeDined on 9/18/2012It was so LOUD I could not hear the other people n our group at all!!!
- Great food and good ambience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2012Great food and good ambience. I loved their shrimp salad and rack of lamb! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants good Thai food:)Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012The ambiance and service were both wonderful. We arrived at the end of Happy Hour and enjoyed the deals on fried calamari, spring rolls, and drinks. It's unusual to have Happy Hour on a weekend. The entrees were crispy grilled halibut and 2 spicy curries. I would definitely recommend to a friend!
- Lovely decor and great foodKRAEVIPDined on 8/5/2012Great care was taken in decorating this fairly small space. The food was great . We all liked our choices The best was the Asian style calamari starter. Also good was green papaya salad, coconut chicken soup, curry and pad Thai. For some reason service was not so good the weeknight we went there. I think our server left or had other duties but after a wait the other staff filled in. We would surely go again.Special Features:
- Good vegan options - and tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/3/2012Good vegan options - and tasty too! Loved the lettuce-spring rolls with a wonderful peanut sauce!Special Features: