398 Harrisburg Avenue
Lancaster, PA 17603Neighborhood:
French AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.checkersbistro.com/
- Phone: (717) 509-1069
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Tuesday-Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm -9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Daniel Quishpe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Many of our guests look to host special events, like birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, or private business functions offsite, at their homes or business. Checkers Bistro provides catering and event management throughout the Lancaster area. Our team will help you locate the perfect location and do everything necessary to create a unique event. Whether entertaining for an intimate gathering of friends, planning a wedding, larger special occasion or a full day business event, we will listen to your needs, assess the challenges and lead you through every step to assure a wonderful experience.
- Cross Street: Charlotte Street
- Public Transit: Red Rose Transit Authority buses stop and pickup 1 block from the restaurant. James Street is the closest public transport bus stop.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available in parking lots in both the front (off Charlotte Street) and the rear (off Harrisburg Avenue), along the street on Charlotte Street and in the Snavely Lumber’s parking lot, just a half a block up Charlotte Street.
A word from Checkers Bistro
The sophisticated and timeless Dining Room offers diners a warm and intimate space to enjoy Chef Daniels inventive seasonal menus. The dining room is divided in to 3 areas, the Wine Salon, the Stage and the Champions Room. The Wine Salon is an elegantly appointed dining area that faces the glass-enclosed wine cellar. The Stage is a raised area, longer than it is wide, facing a full-length wall of beautiful old casement windows. The Champions Room is a private area that can be part of the restaurant flow or cordoned off for privacy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Checkers Bistro - Best Restaurants in Lancaster ›
Checkers Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (123)fit for foodies (123)neighborhood gem (85)romantic (74)notable wine list (56)hot spot (51)good for groups (50)great for lunch (38)vibrant bar scene (32)late-night find (8)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- A great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014We had a great experience here. They were very accommodating (we accidentally made a reservation for Sunday but thought it was for Saturday. They were full but managed to find us a great table for 2 after only a short wait) and the atmosphere was very pleasant. It felt very friendly and comfortable without pretending to be something it wasn't. Most importantly, the quality of the food was excellent! The roast chicken was moist and very tasty without being over-seasoned and the Tuna Frites (medium rare) was superb. The only glitch was that they didn't have the first choice of wine, but we made do with another vintage. They do have an impressive looking wine rack which covers up an entire wall in the restaurant. Last, but certainly far from least, the service we received was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in RegionBobbyVIPDined on 11/22/2014It was special for our 27th anniversary, Great dinner with terrific wine and special dessert. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014This was our second dinner experience at checkers bistro and once again an amazing meal and atmosphere ! Love it and is on our top favorite list!!!!! Highly recommend for a special occasion or a night out with good friends !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuebeeDined on 11/20/2014Disappointed with the limited salad and no more small plates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a date.TonyDined on 11/16/2014I had the grilled salmon ....perfect. Service was super our waitress was patient attentive,and knowledgble of their menu. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Absolutely love Checks Bistro. We had not heard anything about it before we went so had absolutely no idea what to expect. Loved it. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything I hopedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Excellent food, great combinations to create amazing tastes! Creative, genius, true talent for sure. But it wasn't just the amazing food, the service for was top notch as well. We couldnt have asked for a better experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnercouple38Dined on 11/12/2014Checkers was recommended to us, and it was one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. We were celebrating our 38th anniversary, and the atmosphere was romantic. The food was beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. The serving sizes were ample. Our waitress was excellent (there when needed only). She suggested a wine for each of us, and they both paired well with our meals. We splurge once a year on a nice dinner, and this was just that - a splurge. But we both agreed that it was one of the best we have experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummycibdyDined on 11/8/2014excellent food and service one of the best restaurants in lancasterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014My husband and I went there for our anniversary dinner and it did not disappoint! Our server was super!! Unfortunately I got the fish of the day and I did not like it. Other than that everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too LoudLsudulDined on 11/7/2014Checkers has something in common with Rock Lititz in that the noise level is disturbing. We could not wait for our meal to be over so we could get away from the loud talking. The food was very enjoyable, however, the salmon was served with the skin intact. We feel that, for the price, the skin should be removed prior to serving same. The scallops were served with a leek broth that was tasty. Our steak was done to perfection. The wild mushroom soup was memorable but a sliced mushroom or two was not in the picture for some reason. It was a blender made soup, I suppose.Special Features:
- deedubDined on 11/7/2014Food and service were exceptional. We will continue to frequent this exquisite restaurant and, for my taste, the best in the area. Never, ever drop the duck tacos from the menu..Special Features:
- Another Fantastic Dining ExperienceLuv2eatVIPDined on 11/6/2014We are never disappointed when dining here. The food and service are always exceptional and out latest dinner was a wonderful experience. We are very lucky to live in Lancaster and be able to dine here many times a year. The Shrimp and Grits rivals we have ever had in New Orleans, and the entire menu is just delicious.Special Features:
- francophileVIPDined on 11/4/2014Love that half bistro salad and yummy duck tacos for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sub- parUnhappy4Dined on 11/1/2014We usually like Checkers. Good food with neat dishes like duck tacos. I felt like the kitchen was in strike this time. My goat cheese and beet salad was salty? The wrong soup was served. Turns out they ran out of the special and forgot to tell us. My brussel sprouts were essentially raw little bullets. Salmon was good but I asked them to box it up and it disappeared and was not brought back. My dessert was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Food and service exceptional..............very noisy and loud bar which carries to dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dinner and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014We have always loved the food and atmosphere at Checkers! On our recent visit, our server Sonja recommended the fish of the day and it was truly outstanding!! Her service throughout the dinner was top-notch and made the evening so enjoyable. We can't wait to go back. If you have not tried out the new location--go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ResturantBobbyVIPDined on 10/31/2014The food and service made this another wonderful night at CheckersSpecial Features:
- Can't say enough good thingsjordanDined on 10/30/2014This is the best place to dine in Lancaster. From the new location's decor, to the always amazing food, to the excellent drinks and great people...just cannot be topped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evening!EllenVIPDined on 10/30/2014Checkers is a beautifully decorated restaurant with excellent food and very well trained and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Very good restaurant. A little difficult to find for a person from out of town.Special Features:
- It was "ok"JuanCruzJrDined on 10/26/2014It was an "Ok" experience. My wife had to send her steak back twice because it wasn't well done as she had requested. I sent my steak back as well since I didn't want to eat without my wife. The color of the steak was pale, not a great color, and it wasn't hot enough. The waitress was very nice she was apologetic. She gave us a $20 gift card so we just might give them a second chance.
- Ambiance is amazing!!!!!modfam341Dined on 10/23/2014Checkers is the one place you want to celebrate all your special occasions. However, it is also the one place you could go with your friend or friends and enjoy a glass of wine and RELAX! This place is all about the ambiance. Whether you want a multi course meal or wine and small plates, this restaurant will never disappoint! *Whatever type of mood you are in, get the duck tacos!!!!!! I dream of those!!!! (You will too)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant very much. The service was excellent and the servers were very friendly. Flat iron steak and coffee cured petite filet were both delicious. I will be bringing my parents during Thanksgiving weekend!Special Features:
- Great restaurantPickyEaterDined on 10/18/2014We had a great meal, as always. Great food and service. The diners at the next table were extremely loud and there was only 4 of them.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary Dinner OuriamgratefulDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I want to celebrate our 28th Wedding anniversary in a special place. Checkers filled the bill with excellent service. a Chilean Sea Bass that was out of this world, and chocolate mousse that melted in our mouths. The atmosphere was relaxing and enabled to reflect on how blessed we have been and are. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great food.cook4meDined on 10/17/2014David's menu is deliciously satisfying - the perfect place to relax and enjoy lunch or dinner. Great for business lunches.Special Features:
- Very ImpressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Despite the restaurant running out of the night's special just before two of our group of four ordered it, our experience at Checkers was terrific, The restaurant is really sharp visually, the service was great (our waiter was awesome), and the food was amazing. My New York strip was in the top three restaurant steaks I've EVER had. For that kind of entree, the $30.00 price was rendered pain-less. And the "Aviator" martini - unique and delicious. Heartily recommend Checkers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in lancasternickVIPDined on 10/16/2014Finally a decent restaurant in Lancaster County. Great food.Special Features:
- Best RestaurantBobbyVIPDined on 10/15/2014This is my favorite restaurant in this region. Great food and always great service.Special Features:
- Fabulous Restaurant!OpenTableFanDined on 10/12/2014Went for a romantic dinner with my husband at the last minute and was so surprised. The restaurant is beautiful and the food is amazing. Our waitress was wonderful at recomending a nice wine to go with our meals. Would definately recomend for a private dinner or group dinner.Special Features:
- dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Shared the duck tacos, delicious. My entree of filet of beef was cooked perfectly, and the potatoes and asparagus were great. We also shared the peach crisp, which sadly was gooey rather than crisp.Special Features:
- checkers new locationGNO11114Dined on 10/12/2014More room. Less character. Same great food and service. Serving sizes smaller to hold prices steady. Fabulous desserts. Extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Love the decor of the new site. The food is always tasty. I think the former menu was a bit more versatile for all budgets and tastes, but this is definitely a favorite spot.Special Features:
- dinner4AliceDined on 10/11/2014In spite of a very tight reservation we had a very leisurely dinner and never felt rushed. Server seemed well informed about food selections when questioned. She was very outgoing and also did not seem in a hurry. My friend had "fish and chips" - I don't know whether he was as impressed with his choice as I was with my "flat iron" steak which excellent. I had some left over and when I asked to take it home, the steak returned in an attractive box.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food gone down hillJeffPalmer80Dined on 10/8/2014We went here for our anniversary and I am sorry to say that the food has gone down hill significantly. My husband had the steak frites which used to come with a salad but now is just steak and French fries. The fries were warn but edible. The steak was perfect. I ordered the fish and chips. MY fish smelled and tasted fishy and I could not eat it. The fries were lukewarm and cold in some spots. For the price we paid it was not worth it at all and that is upsetting as this used to be one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Perfect night out!SnowballDined on 10/4/2014My husbands birthday dinner. Just the two of us. Perfect evening of good food, service,and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CheckersfrustratedDined on 10/4/2014Dining experience was very good, BUT my one complaint is that when I made my reservation on line I was asked for any specific requests and I asked for a table in the main dining area near the wine room and when we arrived we were seated in the upper, much more noisy, level dining area. If special requests are solicited why are they ignored?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimboJimboVIPDined on 10/1/2014This a great successor to their previous location which wasn't bad either. This location offers greater ambiance and much more room. It already is considered to be the #1 spot in Lancaster. The owners exhibit friendliness and welcome to all.Special Features:
- Bappy46Dined on 9/28/2014I love their small plate offerings and especially their scallops. It's one of my favorite restaurants in Lancaster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.