398 Harrisburg Avenue
Lancaster, PA 17603Neighborhood:
French AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.checkersbistro.com/
- Phone: 7175091069
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Tuesday-Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm -9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Daniel Quishpe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Many of our guests look to host special events, like birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, or private business functions offsite, at their homes or business. Checkers Bistro provides catering and event management throughout the Lancaster area. Our team will help you locate the perfect location and do everything necessary to create a unique event. Whether entertaining for an intimate gathering of friends, planning a wedding, larger special occasion or a full day business event, we will listen to your needs, assess the challenges and lead you through every step to assure a wonderful experience.
- Cross Street: Charlotte Street
- Public Transit: Red Rose Transit Authority buses stop and pickup 1 block from the restaurant. James Street is the closest public transport bus stop.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available in parking lots in both the front (off Charlotte Street) and the rear (off Harrisburg Avenue), along the street on Charlotte Street and in the Snavely Lumber’s parking lot, just a half a block up Charlotte Street.
A word from Checkers Bistro
The sophisticated and timeless Dining Room offers diners a warm and intimate space to enjoy Chef Daniels inventive seasonal menus. The dining room is divided in to 3 areas, the Wine Salon, the Stage and the Champions Room. The Wine Salon is an elegantly appointed dining area that faces the glass-enclosed wine cellar. The Stage is a raised area, longer than it is wide, facing a full-length wall of beautiful old casement windows. The Champions Room is a private area that can be part of the restaurant flow or cordoned off for privacy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Checkers Bistro - Best Restaurants in Lancaster ›
Checkers Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
211 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (141)fit for foodies (121)romantic (98)neighborhood gem (90)notable wine list (50)good for groups (50)hot spot (46)great for lunch (42)vibrant bar scene (39)late-night find (9)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fantastic birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014The fweling was Very relaxed and the door was great. Specialty drinks were above and beyond. My girlfriend left with a Rose compliments of our waiter and we highly suggest the blue Nile. Anytime were in the area we'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014Everything from the romantic decor to great menu choices and attention to the customer makes this one of my favorite places to bring friends for lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable lunch.LancasterLadyDined on 9/17/2014The staff at Checkers is welcoming, friendly without hovering. Food is delicious. Salads looked beautiful when brought to our table. My friend had a Cobb salad which she commented was excellent; I had the caesar salad with chicken breast - it was very good. The only comment on the seating would be since she is tall, the booth seat was too short for her so she switched to one of the chairs at the table. The booth seat was comfortable for my height. My husband and I used to eat frequently at Checkers, and since the move to the new location we've been there for lunches but not dinner. Hope to soon. Very clean restroom.Special Features:
- wonderful price fix menueatsDined on 9/14/2014sunday night price fix menu was great. it included a drink, appetizer, entree, and shared dessert for 2 people at a good priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same outstanding food and service!luv2eatDined on 9/13/2014Simply said, Checkers Bistro is one of the best (if not THE best) dining experiences you will have in Lancaster. The service is outstanding and the food always interesting and delicious. This was my first visit to the new location. Many had expressed concern that the intimacy and charm would be lost with the move from N. Mulberry street. I am happy to say that is not the case. Executive Chef Daniel Quisphe continues to serve up the most interesting of plates. I have a hard time getting beyond the fish special. No one does fish like Chef Daniel. If you have only ONE night to spend in Lancaster and only ONE meal...do it at Checkers.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience!MichoelDined on 9/9/2014Freshly cooked food, welcoming staff, knowledgeable service and wonderful ambience! You nailed it! Consider us regulars! I do have (1) suggestion, though. Our 15 year old granddaughter was with us. Although hamburgers are not on your menu, without hesitation, our server apparently spoke to the chef and our granddaughter was happy with her burger. Ha! The next day she told me Checkers is now one of her favorite restaurants......but, said she recommends adding mac & cheese to the menu. You know, I think that is a great idea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with my mothergoodsonDined on 9/9/2014I took my elderly mother to dinner on a Tuesday to spend some time with her. It was a great choice as we had the atmosphere to talk and the food was very good. They had tucked us in a corner as requested, by was not necessary as it was not crowded or as loud as I have seen it on a Saturday night. Service was above average. Wine by the bottle was reasonably priced, but by the glass was not worth the money for such a small pour of wine. We will go again, but will drink water or iced tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still droolingFoodieCoupleDined on 9/6/2014From great craft cocktails to start to delicious apps and entrees- excellent dining experience! The lobster bisque was one of the best I've ever had- velvety and full of flavor. The petit filet was equally as good, done perfectly. In addition, the new location has a great ambiance. Looking forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud hum in the backgroundmetchem1VIPDined on 8/29/2014We went to Checkers because we heard that the food was quite good and we were not disappointed by the food. We were not pleased to be seated on the far side of tall room dividers / sofa seats. These were too upright and the space felt confined as a result. Most disappointing was there was a machinery hum in the background the entire time we had dinner that marred what was to be a very special evening. Service was very good and the scallops were great.
- Great first impressionOctober2013VIPDined on 8/28/2014This was our first time. Steak was cooked perfectly. Fish and chips are kind of hard to screw up. Bread was OUTSTANDING. Atmosphere and service very good. We'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed daveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The old checkers was great; the new checkers falls far short on ambiance, overall food quality and presentation, and friendliness of wait staff. This restaurant needs to lose the phony attitude, and return to the attributes that made the old checkers a great place to dine.
- Outstanding RestaurantBobbyVIPDined on 8/28/2014This is the best restaurant in the region , in terms of food, service and décor.Special Features:
- JimTDined on 8/27/2014Seated right away, nice table. waitress was slow to get our drink order. Food was great! Seemed like the Waitress forgot about us at the end of our meal. Getting coffee and desert was painfully slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabulous choice in Lancaster PACruvertwinVIPDined on 8/27/2014As a Local, I love having such amazing dining choices in Lancaster PA. One of my favorites is Checkers Bistro. The food is delicious and the staff is very professional. It's a great lunch option and their salads, soups and pizza are first class. This is a restaurant for all you foodies out there !Special Features:
- A great lunch spotGaryHDined on 8/27/2014The new location is convenient to Lancaster businesses and continues to serve great food. Ambiance is very good with well lit tables by a wall of windows. I have been to the new location several times and find the service quick and friendly. The Cuban sandwich is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but DeliciousSkimpyontheBreadDined on 8/23/2014Pricey but delicious. If money wasn't an option I would come back. But $84 plus tip for a party of 3 is alittle out of my price range. But dinners were cooked to perfection. Waitress was very attentive in making sure everything was ok. Skimpy on the bread but it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoodlemomDined on 8/23/2014Wonderful food. Very special restaurant. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!cjmargerumDined on 8/22/2014We had such a nice time at dinner!! Such a beautiful restaurant with the most amazing touches!! Our dinner was incredible from the French Onion Soup to the Roasted Chicken and Scallops with a truffle cream that melt in your mouth ... I asked for a spoon for the rest of the sauce. Yummy cocktails and crazy good service from Karen. We can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerSaintDined on 8/22/2014From the moment we entered until we left we were treated with exceptional hospitality and service. The menu is diverse and interesting. The entrees that we enjoyed were presented very nicely and were excellent to the taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Checkers2Dined on 8/22/2014First time at new Checkers location. Ate in smallest dining room. Acoustics loud. Overall color scheme is dark, trying to be cozy but felt cold. Prefer old Checkers location better - miss quite booths/ cozier atmosphere. Crab cakes/ NY strip were good. Service - too many servers!! Waitress/ bread server/ bar server/ drink server/ food server, etc. You never knew who to flag for help. It makes dining experience feel too interrupted with all those different servers. Bread prior to meal - very spartan...only served one tiny piece (1" x 1") at a time. Food overall was good but based on dining room experience we ate in - not sure we'll be back soon again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!RixreviewsDined on 8/22/2014This is our first time back to Checkers in a couple of years. Love the new location and the food and service were even better than we remembered!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place food was fineNicole0216Dined on 8/22/2014Food was a bit fussier than their old menu. I liked the old bistro menu better but do like the new restaurantSpecial Features:
- Great food, stiff serviceFressDined on 8/21/2014The food is excellent but the service is excessively formal. It's obvious that the staff is trained to create the illusion of a high-end dining experience. Servers carry the food very high up in the air, use the word "enjoy" incessantly (e.g., "would you enjoy tap or bottled water?"), respond with "Excellent" or "Perfect" to whatever food selection you make, etc. The pretentiousness is unfortunate and completely unnecessary, since Checkers has very little competition in the Lancaster area and is undoubtedly a great restaurant, the above notwithstanding. BTW, this review is based on many years of eating at Checkers, not just one visit.
- Go back again placeSatisfied2VIPDined on 8/17/2014We've been here several times, will continue to return often. The food, service, and overall experience is fantastic! The scallops are DELICIOUS! Everyone in our party (4) loved their entrees.Special Features:
- ESPECIALLY PLEASEDSUSIEDined on 8/16/2014Checkers was fabulous. The staff is so professional. The food choices were sufficient and very tastey. The wine from Portugal was very good. I would definately recommend this restaurant, even if you just want to eat at the bar, which was comfortable and trendy.Special Features:
- Delicious but tightly controlledjustaguywholikesfoodDined on 8/16/2014I must say I think I preferred the old location. The new facility seems stiffer and less friendly. The staff is attentive and food is tasty and small, but pricey. Eight dollars each for scallops (three for $23) which includes no sides or salad seems a bit much. Sides can be had for $6 each, regardless of which you choose. The bread is delicious and you must savor each bite, because each diner is presented one small (2 1/2 x 3 inch) slice by the apparent "Commandant of Starch". You can, of course, beg for more, but will receive no more butter. Why not offer a mini loaf of bread as another $6 option like everything else? For my money and eating habits, there are more enjoyable, more relaxed, more realistically priced options in the area.Special Features:
- First-time to be underwhelmedejwdrDined on 8/15/2014In the past I have never been disappointed with a meal. Perhaps it was an off night. Fish was overdone and thus sent back. Service as always remains commendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 10 restaurantNJdinerDined on 8/15/2014Who knew tiny Lancaster offered world-class dining? Checkers fits that bill. Our food was excellent. Service was excellent. Will return on next trip to Lancaster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it as usual except!luv2dineDined on 8/9/2014We have loved Checkers for many years and find the staff and the food outstanding. The new venue is lovely- but did anyone sit on the chairs before they purchased them? After about 1 hour they are very short and uncomfortable. Also we were served a small piece of bread for each of the 4 at our table and one small pat of butter! I used to love the oil and the former bread selections.Special Features:
- Drove an hour to eat here againBankVIPDined on 8/9/2014Checkers is outstanding. A range of small and bistro plates and entrees beautifully prepared and served. The food is excellent, the service impeccable, the bartender knowledgeable and friendly. The interior space is cleverly divided so that dining is intimate. We live in an area that has a number of excellent fine dining restaurants, but we don't hesitate to drive an hour to experience Checkers.Special Features:
- CliffordDined on 8/8/2014The first time we were at the new location. We liked the old one but the food was even better, truely outstanding. The mussels were tender and the white wine broth was fit for sopping up with bread. For main I had the coffee cured fillet, cooked perfectly and so tender that we cut it with the edge of the fork. Even the coffee after dinner was great. Our server Kelly was very friendly, very knowledgable and deserved the 25% tip we left. Highly recomended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Experience as AlwaysLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/7/2014Another wonderful evening with some friends who had not dined here for several years. Everything was perfect. The food is imaginative and delicious and the service extraordinary.Special Features:
- My Boss and our client LOVED itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014I used TripAdvisor to find a restaurant for my boss in the Lancaster area for a client meeting. He had never been and he raved about it when he came back. He mentioned how wonderful the food was and the it was a very "neat" place. He would definitely go back and told me that it would be worth the trip if I'm ever so inclined.Special Features:
- ExceptionalBlessedDined on 8/7/2014Loved the easy access. Very friendly staff and the service was great. My sister and I enjoyed the best Salmon with the Checkers Apple Salad which was also delicious. It was a little pricey for me but for a special occasion, it was perfect.Special Features:
- Two thumbs up!HappyDiningDined on 8/6/2014Excellent food, great service, and a pleasant atmosphere make Checkers a delightful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningEngagedVIPDined on 8/5/2014We both had crazy days and decided at the last minute to go out. We had been here once and had a good time so decided to head back. It was good the first time and even better this second time. We had a very well made mint julep. The fish special and the salmon were both excellent. The staff was engaging and knowledgeable. It was a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Sweet Potato Frites-FantasticFoodFanDined on 8/1/2014Special drinks were well crafted and started the evening off nicely. Small plates are pretty expensive--adds up quickly, but portions were generous. We like to try two or three items and not end up stuffed. I ordered a small salad, small plate and "Side" of S. P. Frites and it was too much for me. Everything was delicious, however. Crab cake plus sauce was excellent. Cauliflower just a little too al dente for my taste--almost raw. Also--we would be pleased if they could find a way to tone down the noise level.Special Features:
- What a nice surprise!KiKi3872Dined on 7/29/2014I was in from Atlanta and Checkers Bistro was recommended. What a very nice dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in LancasterSouthwesternVacationerVIPDined on 7/27/2014Was a little challenging locating this restaurant in the corner of a strip mall but well worth the trouble. Initial service was slow, but after the order was placed, servers brought the dishes at a the right intervals. All items were very fresh with great seasoning. The warm apple salad was delicious as were the duck tacos as an appetizer. My wife had a special of Pad Thai and i had a pasta w/Blognese sauce. both were generous portions.Special Features:
- A favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014I was thrilled to bring my sister, who was visiting from out of town, here for a special sister dinner! The ambience is beautiful, the service is so professional and my favorite...the food. The food is always beautifully plated and most of all delicious. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.