398 Harrisburg Avenue
Lancaster, PA 17603Neighborhood:
French AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.checkersbistro.com/
- Phone: 7175091069
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Tuesday-Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm -9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Daniel Quishpe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Many of our guests look to host special events, like birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, or private business functions offsite, at their homes or business. Checkers Bistro provides catering and event management throughout the Lancaster area. Our team will help you locate the perfect location and do everything necessary to create a unique event. Whether entertaining for an intimate gathering of friends, planning a wedding, larger special occasion or a full day business event, we will listen to your needs, assess the challenges and lead you through every step to assure a wonderful experience.
- Cross Street: Charlotte Street
- Public Transit: Red Rose Transit Authority buses stop and pickup 1 block from the restaurant. James Street is the closest public transport bus stop.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available in parking lots in both the front (off Charlotte Street) and the rear (off Harrisburg Avenue), along the street on Charlotte Street and in the Snavely Lumber’s parking lot, just a half a block up Charlotte Street.
A word from Checkers Bistro
The sophisticated and timeless Dining Room offers diners a warm and intimate space to enjoy Chef Daniels inventive seasonal menus. The dining room is divided in to 3 areas, the Wine Salon, the Stage and the Champions Room. The Wine Salon is an elegantly appointed dining area that faces the glass-enclosed wine cellar. The Stage is a raised area, longer than it is wide, facing a full-length wall of beautiful old casement windows. The Champions Room is a private area that can be part of the restaurant flow or cordoned off for privacy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Checkers Bistro - Best Restaurants in Lancaster ›
Checkers Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (128)fit for foodies (119)neighborhood gem (87)romantic (80)notable wine list (53)good for groups (52)hot spot (48)great for lunch (47)vibrant bar scene (36)late-night find (10)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014We had a great meal, as always. Great food and service. The diners at the next table were extremely loud and there was only 4 of them.Special Features:
- Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014David's menu is deliciously satisfying - the perfect place to relax and enjoy lunch or dinner. Great for business lunches.Special Features:
- best in lancasternickVIPDined on 10/16/2014Finally a decent restaurant in Lancaster County. Great food.Special Features:
- Best RestaurantBobbyVIPDined on 10/15/2014This is my favorite restaurant in this region. Great food and always great service.Special Features:
- Fabulous Restaurant!OpenTableFanDined on 10/12/2014Went for a romantic dinner with my husband at the last minute and was so surprised. The restaurant is beautiful and the food is amazing. Our waitress was wonderful at recomending a nice wine to go with our meals. Would definately recomend for a private dinner or group dinner.Special Features:
- dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Shared the duck tacos, delicious. My entree of filet of beef was cooked perfectly, and the potatoes and asparagus were great. We also shared the peach crisp, which sadly was gooey rather than crisp.Special Features:
- checkers new locationGNO11114Dined on 10/12/2014More room. Less character. Same great food and service. Serving sizes smaller to hold prices steady. Fabulous desserts. Extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Love the decor of the new site. The food is always tasty. I think the former menu was a bit more versatile for all budgets and tastes, but this is definitely a favorite spot.Special Features:
- dinner4AliceDined on 10/11/2014In spite of a very tight reservation we had a very leisurely dinner and never felt rushed. Server seemed well informed about food selections when questioned. She was very outgoing and also did not seem in a hurry. My friend had "fish and chips" - I don't know whether he was as impressed with his choice as I was with my "flat iron" steak which excellent. I had some left over and when I asked to take it home, the steak returned in an attractive box.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food gone down hillJeffPalmer80Dined on 10/8/2014We went here for our anniversary and I am sorry to say that the food has gone down hill significantly. My husband had the steak frites which used to come with a salad but now is just steak and French fries. The fries were warn but edible. The steak was perfect. I ordered the fish and chips. MY fish smelled and tasted fishy and I could not eat it. The fries were lukewarm and cold in some spots. For the price we paid it was not worth it at all and that is upsetting as this used to be one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Perfect night out!SnowballDined on 10/4/2014My husbands birthday dinner. Just the two of us. Perfect evening of good food, service,and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CheckersfrustratedDined on 10/4/2014Dining experience was very good, BUT my one complaint is that when I made my reservation on line I was asked for any specific requests and I asked for a table in the main dining area near the wine room and when we arrived we were seated in the upper, much more noisy, level dining area. If special requests are solicited why are they ignored?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimboJimboVIPDined on 10/1/2014This a great successor to their previous location which wasn't bad either. This location offers greater ambiance and much more room. It already is considered to be the #1 spot in Lancaster. The owners exhibit friendliness and welcome to all.Special Features:
- Bappy46Dined on 9/28/2014I love their small plate offerings and especially their scallops. It's one of my favorite restaurants in Lancaster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in LancasterCritter63Dined on 9/26/2014Make reservations! This is the place to be with atmosphere & excellent food that never disappoints.Special Features:
- Checkers Bistro Lancaster PATastebudDined on 9/25/2014Perfect for our husband-wife birthday celebration. We mentioned to our server early on that it would be nice to have some space between courses, just to enjoy the entire dining experience; we don't know whether or not this affected the pace of our dinner, but it couldn't have been better! Absolutely outstanding food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere&terrific location!ParkPlaceDined on 9/24/2014We came to Checkers Bistro for our anniversary dinner; really enjoyed the warm and friendly welcome we received from the hostess! Our waiter was helpful giving us recommendations and he provided prompt and friendly service throughout dinner. The noise level from other customers was a little bit more than expected but not terrible. We loved the decor especially the old pictures. After dinner we went to the bar, absolutely loved the bar design and was thrilled to see windows around the cabinets, that is a rare find in a bar. Disappointed there is no separate bar menu, we would come often if there was a bar menu available; we hope that will change in the near future. In the meantime, we plan to come for lunch at the bar sometime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect martini!SuzieDined on 9/24/2014Atmosphere, food, drinks, service...... all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent experience !!!spartyDined on 9/23/2014Checkers is truly one of the best (and most consistent) restaurants in Lancaster. The food, beverage & service is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pabarbyDined on 9/23/2014Most of what we had was outstanding. My husband had the beet salad, delicious! I had the Checkers Apple Salad and it was yummy, too. For an entrée I had the Scallops Small Plate over creamed leeks - everything was perfect. Scallops were cooked to perfection and delicious. There were only 3 but they were large and it was the right size for me. The leeks were wonderful. My husband had the Fish of the day which was red snapper. He didn't think the fish measured up to everything else we were served. It was a little dry and he wondered how fresh it really was. But his vegetables were fresh and cooked perfectly. We had the crisp of the day for dessert which was a great ending. Our server was very attentive.
- Loud Atmosphere but Good FoodEnjoysEatingOutDined on 9/23/2014I've eaten at Checkers a number of times and definitely enjoy their food. Staff is friendly and efficient. Elegant atmosphere for lunch but dinner time is more lively and definitely loud. Unfortunately some people use this restaurant for business dinners which is quite annoying for those wishing to have a nice dinner. We enjoy talking with our friends and when the table next to you is conducting a sales pitch it interferes with a social atmosphere.Special Features:
- Serious regional contenderYankelDined on 9/20/2014More than just a neighborhood find, the restaurant is consistently delivering high quality, creative dishes that are on par with those ranked highly in major markets. Enthusiastic, knowledgeable wait staff makes the experience very enjoyable...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic birthdayAustinDined on 9/19/2014The fweling was Very relaxed and the door was great. Specialty drinks were above and beyond. My girlfriend left with a Rose compliments of our waiter and we highly suggest the blue Nile. Anytime were in the area we'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!!Love2lunchDined on 9/18/2014Everything from the romantic decor to great menu choices and attention to the customer makes this one of my favorite places to bring friends for lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable lunch.LancasterLadyDined on 9/17/2014The staff at Checkers is welcoming, friendly without hovering. Food is delicious. Salads looked beautiful when brought to our table. My friend had a Cobb salad which she commented was excellent; I had the caesar salad with chicken breast - it was very good. The only comment on the seating would be since she is tall, the booth seat was too short for her so she switched to one of the chairs at the table. The booth seat was comfortable for my height. My husband and I used to eat frequently at Checkers, and since the move to the new location we've been there for lunches but not dinner. Hope to soon. Very clean restroom.Special Features:
- wonderful price fix menueatsDined on 9/14/2014sunday night price fix menu was great. it included a drink, appetizer, entree, and shared dessert for 2 people at a good priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same outstanding food and service!luv2eatDined on 9/13/2014Simply said, Checkers Bistro is one of the best (if not THE best) dining experiences you will have in Lancaster. The service is outstanding and the food always interesting and delicious. This was my first visit to the new location. Many had expressed concern that the intimacy and charm would be lost with the move from N. Mulberry street. I am happy to say that is not the case. Executive Chef Daniel Quisphe continues to serve up the most interesting of plates. I have a hard time getting beyond the fish special. No one does fish like Chef Daniel. If you have only ONE night to spend in Lancaster and only ONE meal...do it at Checkers.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience!MichoelDined on 9/9/2014Freshly cooked food, welcoming staff, knowledgeable service and wonderful ambience! You nailed it! Consider us regulars! I do have (1) suggestion, though. Our 15 year old granddaughter was with us. Although hamburgers are not on your menu, without hesitation, our server apparently spoke to the chef and our granddaughter was happy with her burger. Ha! The next day she told me Checkers is now one of her favorite restaurants......but, said she recommends adding mac & cheese to the menu. You know, I think that is a great idea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with my mothergoodsonDined on 9/9/2014I took my elderly mother to dinner on a Tuesday to spend some time with her. It was a great choice as we had the atmosphere to talk and the food was very good. They had tucked us in a corner as requested, by was not necessary as it was not crowded or as loud as I have seen it on a Saturday night. Service was above average. Wine by the bottle was reasonably priced, but by the glass was not worth the money for such a small pour of wine. We will go again, but will drink water or iced tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still droolingFoodieCoupleDined on 9/6/2014From great craft cocktails to start to delicious apps and entrees- excellent dining experience! The lobster bisque was one of the best I've ever had- velvety and full of flavor. The petit filet was equally as good, done perfectly. In addition, the new location has a great ambiance. Looking forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud hum in the backgroundmetchem1VIPDined on 8/29/2014We went to Checkers because we heard that the food was quite good and we were not disappointed by the food. We were not pleased to be seated on the far side of tall room dividers / sofa seats. These were too upright and the space felt confined as a result. Most disappointing was there was a machinery hum in the background the entire time we had dinner that marred what was to be a very special evening. Service was very good and the scallops were great.
- Great first impressionOctober2013VIPDined on 8/28/2014This was our first time. Steak was cooked perfectly. Fish and chips are kind of hard to screw up. Bread was OUTSTANDING. Atmosphere and service very good. We'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed daveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The old checkers was great; the new checkers falls far short on ambiance, overall food quality and presentation, and friendliness of wait staff. This restaurant needs to lose the phony attitude, and return to the attributes that made the old checkers a great place to dine.
- Outstanding RestaurantBobbyVIPDined on 8/28/2014This is the best restaurant in the region , in terms of food, service and décor.Special Features:
- JimTDined on 8/27/2014Seated right away, nice table. waitress was slow to get our drink order. Food was great! Seemed like the Waitress forgot about us at the end of our meal. Getting coffee and desert was painfully slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabulous choice in Lancaster PACruvertwinVIPDined on 8/27/2014As a Local, I love having such amazing dining choices in Lancaster PA. One of my favorites is Checkers Bistro. The food is delicious and the staff is very professional. It's a great lunch option and their salads, soups and pizza are first class. This is a restaurant for all you foodies out there !Special Features:
- A great lunch spotGaryHDined on 8/27/2014The new location is convenient to Lancaster businesses and continues to serve great food. Ambiance is very good with well lit tables by a wall of windows. I have been to the new location several times and find the service quick and friendly. The Cuban sandwich is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but DeliciousSkimpyontheBreadDined on 8/23/2014Pricey but delicious. If money wasn't an option I would come back. But $84 plus tip for a party of 3 is alittle out of my price range. But dinners were cooked to perfection. Waitress was very attentive in making sure everything was ok. Skimpy on the bread but it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoodlemomDined on 8/23/2014Wonderful food. Very special restaurant. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!cjmargerumDined on 8/22/2014We had such a nice time at dinner!! Such a beautiful restaurant with the most amazing touches!! Our dinner was incredible from the French Onion Soup to the Roasted Chicken and Scallops with a truffle cream that melt in your mouth ... I asked for a spoon for the rest of the sauce. Yummy cocktails and crazy good service from Karen. We can't wait to go back!!!Special Features: