525 S. Flower Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
EurasianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thechaya.com/
- Phone: (213) 236-9577
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 12:00 - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Shigefumi Tachibe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Chaya Downtown offers a private dining room which can accomodate up to 36 guests. The Covered Patio can also be reserved for private parties up to 60 guests. For more information regarding all your private events contact Elaine Asada at 213-236-9577, Ext. 19. Or directly at 310-508-5356
- Cross Street: Between 5th and 6th
- Public Transit: FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE provided to and from major entertainment venues in Downtown Los Angeles. It runs every 15min beginning at 6:45pm.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: The valet is located in the City National Parking Plaza garage on level A. The private elevator will take you directly to Chaya on the ground level. For lunch the first Three Hours are a flat rate of $5.00 with validation, and anything beyond will be charged at the normal rate. Parking for dinner is free for the first Four Hours and a flat rate of $7.00 for anything beyond.
A word from Chaya Downtown
CHAYA Downtown, the newest member of the CHAYA family of restaurants, is located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, combining urban chic and European sensibility with Japanese hospitality. The menu plays off its French Japanese culinary tradition as it takes diner on an epicurean journey. The modern, chic ambiance sets the mood as diners enter the lively bar and lounge. The spacious dining room is lined with intimate booths that open to the outdoor patio surrounded by lush landscaping. The garden patio is available for bar seating and full dining. A 12-seat sushi bar features a full view of CHAYA sushi chefs at work. CHAYA Downtown offers convenient lunch menu options Monday through Friday for professionals looking to grab a quick bite. Guests can enjoy dinner seven nights a week. Happy Hour at CHAYA is a popular time for downtown dwellers and professionals to enjoy savory small plates and specialty cocktails. An extensive wine and sake list perfectly complements the menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chaya Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Chaya Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (77)great for outdoor dining (56)special occasion (52)great for lunch (47)good for groups (46)neighborhood gem (31)romantic (28)notable wine list (19)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (16)great for brunch (8)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/14/2014A dependably good restaurant with terrific service. I especially recommend the fish dishes including the spicy calamari. A bit on the noisy side, but what restaurant isn't these days?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!dadda0430Dined on 11/9/2014We had been dining @ Chaya Downtown for their Sunday Wine and Diet menu almost a year now. The food is fabulous and price is unbelievable. Service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewVIPDined on 11/9/2014We really enjoy dinning here. We decided this Sunday to try out their weekly Sunday Wine and Dine 4 course menu. This week's theme was centered around cheese and every dish had some cheese in it's preparation. Overall it was a fun experience and we plan to try it again since every Sunday is a different themed 4 course meal. Extra bonus is on Sunday's they have half price on their bottle of wines. I would definitely recommend this place in general, we have had lovely tasty meals here in the past but to add a little fun with a course meal a Sunday meal is the way to go. Not to mention our wait staff was so great.Special Features:
- Excellent quality foodCJinCADined on 11/8/2014Love the fusion menu which satisfies both sushi lovers and non-raw fish people! The crispy brussel sprouts were fabulous as was the cauliflower soup. Nice easy shuttle to our performance, valet parking validation, which simplifies everythingSpecial Features:
- Lunch at Chaya DowntownJeffDDined on 11/6/2014Attractive but bustling space with a different menu than the typical lunch spot. Very good service that enables a prompt but not rushed meal--perfect for a nice lunch during the business day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysgourmandDined on 11/4/2014They never fail to impress. The food is great and the service superb. It's a little loud, but that's because people are enjoying themselves.Special Features:
- DowntownDined on 11/3/2014The quality of the food appeared to have declined. I had a party of 5 and none of us were impressed with the food. The food tasted better a couple of years ago but after this experience, I will not be in a rush to come back. The menu tries to be creative, but too creative that it loses the original flavor. I ordered a cajun shrimp salad. Not only was the shrimp sub-par for an establishment like Chaya, but the mixture of chopped cucumbers, corn and avacado did not mix well. Was it Mexican, New Orleans, California? I couldn't tell with all the different things in there. The tuna tar tar was bland with no taste. I ordered cappuccino at the end of the meal and all I could drink was foam, which was not well-made at all. $5 for foam!
- Creative & Delicious!LuvtoeatDined on 11/2/2014We have only been to Chaya Downtown a few times, but each time has been memorable for the service and food and ambiance. The menu is creative and delicious! I am hooked on the set prix fixe meal as every course has always been excellent. The wine selection is also very good too. This location has become my favorite local secret, but I think it is time for everyone to know about it.Special Features:
- sunday night special!dntnexplorerDined on 11/2/2014Sunday night chef's tasting menu- 4 courses for $30, excellent value and selections! plus 1/2 price bottle wines- we tried one we might not be able to afford and it was wonderful! great service too. love this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bfloves2dineoutbflovs2dineoutDined on 11/2/2014Comfortable and attractive atmosphere where you can converse during the meal. The food is nicely presented, served attentively and good value. We enjoy going there after an opera or concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FoodMaureenVIPDined on 10/31/2014Our server Brandon, was adorable! He was very helpful in our ordering too, and his recommendations were excellent, from Champagne to dessert! The meal was delicious too.Special Features:
- BostonLAVIPDined on 10/30/2014First time at this Chaya. Beautiful to be in and the food and service were excellent. The shrimp salad and sushi were out of this world! Desserts were amazing - pumpkin tiramisu and their cookies - not to be believed! Daniel, our server, was attentive without being hovering. Brian, the manager, is very nice and friendly and knows how to handle his guests and staff. A wonderful dining and relaxing experience. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- great for date nights for foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Always excellent and inventive tasting menu and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just a okSouffleloverVIPDined on 10/26/2014if you work in downtown area and want to have a drink after work, this place will be ideal. No need to fight downtown traffic for their food. We went last Sunday to try the prefixe menu. Not impressive and i will not be back.
- Good, not great, food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/25/2014Chaya was having an anniversary special - $55 Menu For Two to Share To start, Kaisen salad: tuna, sea bream, salmon and greens with a ginger tomato dressing. It was quite refreshing. The entree was short ribs and sirloin w/ roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts. It was a pretty good dish, but not very inventive. For dessert, we had pumpkin tart & maple apple tart tatin. Both were creamy and rich. Portions for each course were adequately sized for 2. The food was good but not memorable. The atmosphere is sophisticated but not stuffy. Service was good, but our server was a bit curt and seemed as if he was always in a hurry. It was a great value for dinner. I would return if they were having another special-otherwise, I'm not sure I wouldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuna Tuna SaladOTfunVIPDined on 10/21/2014is a great option if you are looking for something with lots of flavor and light.Special Features:
- A bit priceyDonnaVIPDined on 10/16/2014I hadn't eaten at Chaya for years. I would probably not go back. Very pricey and so noisy that we couldn't hear each other at all. The waiters couldn't get around many chairs because the place was so crowded. I'm sure they were way over their capacity.
- weezyVIPDined on 10/11/2014Like to go here for before symphony at Music Center. They work hard to get you out on time and food is really good.Special Features:
- ecletictarlaVIPDined on 10/4/2014usually the food at chaya is excellent but the night I dined perhaps I chose wrong. My compressed salad was very boring as was the pumpkin tiramisu - missing some flavor....I hope things improve as it is very convenient to the music center.Special Features:
- Downtown LA - dine outsidefuntowineanddineDined on 10/4/2014We sat outside in a beautiful booth in a oasis in downtown. Food and service both excellent. Got us out in time to make Ahmanson show. Great evening.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencenucsdocDined on 10/4/2014Had the 5 year plan celebration menu.....3 course menu for 2 for $55..................great deal as were the $5 cocktails..........we are going back!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- roysrocksVIPDined on 9/30/2014always reliably delicious. I enjoy both lunch and dinner here. It is especially lovely to bring out of town guests who marvel at our temperate evenings and the lovely outdoor setting. if the stuffed squash blossoms are on the menu, you must try themSpecial Features:
- great value great foodRickyHollywoodDined on 9/28/2014Our party has been to both the downtown Chaya and the Beverly Hill Chaya and enjoy them both. We like the special price fixed menu and 1/2 off wine on Sunday night, but go other times as well. The waiter was efficient and very helpful, the wine selection was great, and the food is always delicious. We did not have the price fixed menu, but it looked very good. We like the ambience very much. We can actually hear each other talk. We'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch!wisefoodieDined on 9/25/2014I love Chaya for business lunches when I am Downtown. The food is consistently delicious and service is attentive. I particularly enjoy the daily Bento Box, a terrific sampling with "just right" portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, Especially Sunday DinnerCharmboyDined on 9/21/2014The chef does a special Sunday Prix Fixe for $30, and it was Excellent on 9/21,2014. With the 4 course special and another main course, the two of us had a delicious meal that was made even better by the fact of the half price wine on Sunday nights. Our Waitress was ideal. I have been there many times for "work dinners," taking out clients to impress them, but this Sunday special was even better, realizing I was paying on my own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Theater or Not--A Good ChoiceAnluVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is one of the best restaurants in downtown LA--It never disappoints. A gourmet experience of visual and taste--and it won't break your pocket book. Wonderful food in a beautiful environment.Special Features:
- Asian fusion find1derfullDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful food in a gorgeous setting. The menu was only one page which I love, they are not trying to please everyone.....they do what they do that is all...and they do it extremely well. 6 of us showed up before they were open and they gave us the best table in the house and when we asked for separate checks there was no problem. OSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service....starDined on 9/18/2014Had a wonderful lunch with old friends, food was great and felt no pressure to leave, as it is when good friends get together and just stay and stay and stay!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Hostess!!!!RestaurateurDined on 9/17/2014I made reservation and got there early. The place was empty and I was seated at the worst table in the house: by the kitchen and an open door where i was getting the hot draft on a very hot day. When I booked the reservations online I notated that I wanted an inside table. The food is OK nothing extraordinary. it is fresh though. I didn't comment about the table but they won't be getting my business anymore. When someone makes reservations and not just shows up, they better give a nice table especially when we arrive before the lunch crowd.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Went for the Sunday wine and dine special. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/13/2014This was my first time at Chaya Downtown, and the experience was as great as the other locations I've been. The food is always very good, and everyone we interacted with was pleasant and accommodating.Special Features:
- reviewVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a great dinner here. Food and services was great. Had the vegetable sushi roll, delicious. My husband had the bento box, he loved everything in his bento. He said he would definitely get that again. I had the filet mignon, absolutely so tender and tasted fabulous. We shared the apple tart dessert and it was delicious also. My husband said the french pressed coffee was great and I was so happy they had simple Japanese green tea, so delicate and delicious. Most places do not carry green tea or they have it with they have floral flavoring with it. Overall we had a super dinner here.Special Features:
- AverageBryanDDined on 9/12/2014Way overpriced for the quality of food. Nice decor and good location for a business meeting but I was left unimpressed after a $200 meal for 4.
- megustacomerDined on 9/7/2014Excellent food and service. All very fresh. I would recommend for dinner prior to a show at the Music Center.Special Features:
- Great experienceRavensReviewDined on 9/6/2014Went here for a friend's birthday and the food and service were great.Special Features:
- I've never had a bad meal here.JulesVIPDined on 8/27/2014It's one of those places that you know you'll spend $30 for lunch, but you'll walk out happy and satisfied w/ a delicious meal. The bento box is always delicious. It's better japanese cuisine than you'll find in most places in LA's Little Tokyo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea bass is my favoriteFrequentdiner365VIPDined on 8/27/2014Reliable and consistent, accompanied by great service is the key to the success of this restaurant. Always satisfies and gets you in and out on time especially during a busy lunch.Special Features:
- DisappointingEZBreezyDined on 8/19/2014It's been a while since I've been to Chaya and it will be some time before I return. The food was just unremarkable. The skewers had not flavor, the tuna tartare the same and the sashimi wasn't the quality you'd find at a good sushi bar.
- Excellent Japanese/California food.downtownfanDined on 8/16/2014One of the best restaurants downtown. Great environment, food and service. An elegant place with delicious Japanese/California fusion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobmDined on 8/16/2014We have been to Chaya a number of times because amongst other reasons we enjoyed the food however that was not the case on our last visit.