525 S. Flower Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
EurasianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thechaya.com/
- Phone: 2132369577
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 12:00 - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Shigefumi Tachibe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Chaya Downtown offers a private dining room which can accomodate up to 36 guests. The Covered Patio can also be reserved for private parties up to 60 guests. For more information regarding all your private events contact Elaine Asada at 213-236-9577, Ext. 19. Or directly at 310-508-5356
- Cross Street: Between 5th and 6th
- Public Transit: FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE provided to and from major entertainment venues in Downtown Los Angeles. It runs every 15min beginning at 6:45pm.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: The valet is located in the City National Parking Plaza garage on level A. The private elevator will take you directly to Chaya on the ground level. For lunch the first Three Hours are a flat rate of $5.00 with validation, and anything beyond will be charged at the normal rate. Parking for dinner is free for the first Four Hours and a flat rate of $7.00 for anything beyond.
A word from Chaya Downtown
CHAYA Downtown, the newest member of the CHAYA family of restaurants, is located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, combining urban chic and European sensibility with Japanese hospitality. The menu plays off its French Japanese culinary tradition as it takes diner on an epicurean journey. The modern, chic ambiance sets the mood as diners enter the lively bar and lounge. The spacious dining room is lined with intimate booths that open to the outdoor patio surrounded by lush landscaping. The garden patio is available for bar seating and full dining. A 12-seat sushi bar features a full view of CHAYA sushi chefs at work. CHAYA Downtown offers convenient lunch menu options Monday through Friday for professionals looking to grab a quick bite. Guests can enjoy dinner seven nights a week. Happy Hour at CHAYA is a popular time for downtown dwellers and professionals to enjoy savory small plates and specialty cocktails. An extensive wine and sake list perfectly complements the menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chaya Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Chaya Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (74)special occasion (66)great for outdoor dining (61)great for lunch (54)good for groups (44)neighborhood gem (32)romantic (28)notable wine list (22)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (19)great for brunch (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Tuna Tuna SaladOTfunVIPDined on 10/21/2014is a great option if you are looking for something with lots of flavor and light.Special Features:
- A bit priceyDonnaVIPDined on 10/16/2014I hadn't eaten at Chaya for years. I would probably not go back. Very pricey and so noisy that we couldn't hear each other at all. The waiters couldn't get around many chairs because the place was so crowded. I'm sure they were way over their capacity.
- weezyVIPDined on 10/11/2014Like to go here for before symphony at Music Center. They work hard to get you out on time and food is really good.Special Features:
- ecletictarlaVIPDined on 10/4/2014usually the food at chaya is excellent but the night I dined perhaps I chose wrong. My compressed salad was very boring as was the pumpkin tiramisu - missing some flavor....I hope things improve as it is very convenient to the music center.Special Features:
- Downtown LA - dine outsidefuntowineanddineDined on 10/4/2014We sat outside in a beautiful booth in a oasis in downtown. Food and service both excellent. Got us out in time to make Ahmanson show. Great evening.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencenucsdocDined on 10/4/2014Had the 5 year plan celebration menu.....3 course menu for 2 for $55..................great deal as were the $5 cocktails..........we are going back!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- roysrocksVIPDined on 9/30/2014always reliably delicious. I enjoy both lunch and dinner here. It is especially lovely to bring out of town guests who marvel at our temperate evenings and the lovely outdoor setting. if the stuffed squash blossoms are on the menu, you must try themSpecial Features:
- great value great foodRickyHollywoodDined on 9/28/2014Our party has been to both the downtown Chaya and the Beverly Hill Chaya and enjoy them both. We like the special price fixed menu and 1/2 off wine on Sunday night, but go other times as well. The waiter was efficient and very helpful, the wine selection was great, and the food is always delicious. We did not have the price fixed menu, but it looked very good. We like the ambience very much. We can actually hear each other talk. We'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch!wisefoodieDined on 9/25/2014I love Chaya for business lunches when I am Downtown. The food is consistently delicious and service is attentive. I particularly enjoy the daily Bento Box, a terrific sampling with "just right" portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, Especially Sunday DinnerCharmboyDined on 9/21/2014The chef does a special Sunday Prix Fixe for $30, and it was Excellent on 9/21,2014. With the 4 course special and another main course, the two of us had a delicious meal that was made even better by the fact of the half price wine on Sunday nights. Our Waitress was ideal. I have been there many times for "work dinners," taking out clients to impress them, but this Sunday special was even better, realizing I was paying on my own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Theater or Not--A Good ChoiceAnluVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is one of the best restaurants in downtown LA--It never disappoints. A gourmet experience of visual and taste--and it won't break your pocket book. Wonderful food in a beautiful environment.Special Features:
- Asian fusion find1derfullDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful food in a gorgeous setting. The menu was only one page which I love, they are not trying to please everyone.....they do what they do that is all...and they do it extremely well. 6 of us showed up before they were open and they gave us the best table in the house and when we asked for separate checks there was no problem. OSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service....starDined on 9/18/2014Had a wonderful lunch with old friends, food was great and felt no pressure to leave, as it is when good friends get together and just stay and stay and stay!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Hostess!!!!RestaurateurDined on 9/17/2014I made reservation and got there early. The place was empty and I was seated at the worst table in the house: by the kitchen and an open door where i was getting the hot draft on a very hot day. When I booked the reservations online I notated that I wanted an inside table. The food is OK nothing extraordinary. it is fresh though. I didn't comment about the table but they won't be getting my business anymore. When someone makes reservations and not just shows up, they better give a nice table especially when we arrive before the lunch crowd.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Went for the Sunday wine and dine special. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/13/2014This was my first time at Chaya Downtown, and the experience was as great as the other locations I've been. The food is always very good, and everyone we interacted with was pleasant and accommodating.Special Features:
- reviewVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a great dinner here. Food and services was great. Had the vegetable sushi roll, delicious. My husband had the bento box, he loved everything in his bento. He said he would definitely get that again. I had the filet mignon, absolutely so tender and tasted fabulous. We shared the apple tart dessert and it was delicious also. My husband said the french pressed coffee was great and I was so happy they had simple Japanese green tea, so delicate and delicious. Most places do not carry green tea or they have it with they have floral flavoring with it. Overall we had a super dinner here.Special Features:
- AverageBryanDDined on 9/12/2014Way overpriced for the quality of food. Nice decor and good location for a business meeting but I was left unimpressed after a $200 meal for 4.
- megustacomerDined on 9/7/2014Excellent food and service. All very fresh. I would recommend for dinner prior to a show at the Music Center.Special Features:
- Great experienceRavensReviewDined on 9/6/2014Went here for a friend's birthday and the food and service were great.Special Features:
- I've never had a bad meal here.JulesVIPDined on 8/27/2014It's one of those places that you know you'll spend $30 for lunch, but you'll walk out happy and satisfied w/ a delicious meal. The bento box is always delicious. It's better japanese cuisine than you'll find in most places in LA's Little Tokyo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea bass is my favoriteFrequentdiner365VIPDined on 8/27/2014Reliable and consistent, accompanied by great service is the key to the success of this restaurant. Always satisfies and gets you in and out on time especially during a busy lunch.Special Features:
- DisappointingEZBreezyDined on 8/19/2014It's been a while since I've been to Chaya and it will be some time before I return. The food was just unremarkable. The skewers had not flavor, the tuna tartare the same and the sashimi wasn't the quality you'd find at a good sushi bar.
- Excellent Japanese/California food.downtownfanDined on 8/16/2014One of the best restaurants downtown. Great environment, food and service. An elegant place with delicious Japanese/California fusion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobmDined on 8/16/2014We have been to Chaya a number of times because amongst other reasons we enjoyed the food however that was not the case on our last visit.
- Cosmopolitan Night OutHungryDined on 8/15/2014Our party had a great time enjoying the excellent food and service. We visited on a Friday evening so the crowd was lively; however, the noise level was acceptable. The Be to box was my choice and it was a first rate. I look forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- Bad Experience in Valet ParkingLvtoeatVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have been going to Chaya Downtown for the Sunday dinners since long time ago. However, we were all disappointed when we went to Chaya Downtown this past Sunday night. Nothing really special in all 4 courses. One lady in our group did not even finish her main course. The dessert used to be very good but it was nothing to talk about this time. I missed the time when Chaya was serving the 3-course dinner for just $25. One more thing, and this is the main reason why we will not go back to Chaya again. The valet guy, Jose, was very rude and screamed at us when we told him that we wanted to do the self park which is allowed on Sundays. Jose even drove another restaurant patron's car to follow us around. This totally ruined the evening.
- Great for lunch, not for weekendWeekdayWarriorVIPDined on 8/10/2014Chaya is my preferred restaurant for business lunches . I enjoy it so much that I brought my family here for a weekend dinner before a concert. I was fairly disappointed with their dinner/weekend menu selection. Needed more options. Even a bento box option would have been nice and more options for my vegetarian daughter. Will keep coming for weekday lunches, but not so much for dinners.Special Features:
- Pre theater faveBeingVIPDined on 8/9/2014Lovely tasty beautifully presented fare. Daniel P was a wonderful waiter. Sitting outside on a summer day, watching the trees in the courtyard is so relaxing. A preferred way to dine. It is always a great restaurant for pre-theater dining.Special Features:
- Still the Best for Sunday dinnersGreensmarkVIPDined on 8/3/2014Had the best time here on Sunday. Actually are seeing some friends on our recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had in a long time!BigDVIPDined on 8/1/2014Excellent, high quality ingredients prepared by outstanding chefs. We ate in the beer garden (very energetic and busy with TGIF activity from the surrounding offices) before we went to the Music Center. A more serene setting is inside in the dining room. Our server accommodated our schedule, and was extremely helpful with the menu. We shared a bento box and some sashimi. Every item in the bento box was excellent, and the sashimi was top quality. We have eaten here several times before, and I don't know why it took us to long to return. I particularly appreciate that the restaurant highlights all of the farms that source their produce in the menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014The luncheon was for my girl friend's retirement. Chaya printed "Happy Retirement" on the menu header.Special Features:
- xxxxVIPDined on 7/28/2014I always like all the Chaya restaurants. I wasn't overwhelmed with this time. I have been here for lunch & i thought it's really good. there weren't many people dining. it took more than 5 minutes for the waiter to take a drink order. he was nice but anything that was asked was answered with a no. i wasn't asking for complete food makeovers. i guess their chef is not flexible. i had dinner last week at Spago and you can ask them for anything. Our waiter was ok but not great. Busboys were good, refilling water glasses, etc. i think they changed their menu. One thing they serve that is delicious is their fries.Special Features:
- reviewVIPDined on 7/26/20144 1/2 stars. Had a nice dinner here. We enjoyed the food and dinner, had a little higher anticipation since the last time we ate here we had one of the best dinners. Service was great and food was really good. We will have to come back on a Sunday for their 4 course meal, sounds interesting. Overall we did have a lovely dinner.Special Features:
- Exceptional welcomeJillDined on 7/26/2014Often when I go to restaurants now, the staff at the front desk are either so overwhelmed with the phone or they are clueless how to greet their guests. This restaurant is the exception. When I walked in, both of the women at the front desk said, "Hello and welcome" and quickly identified my name on the list. Then, I was cheerfully seated by the professional hostess (a blonde woman). My server was also particularly friendly and was open to asking the chef to do a special sushi plate for me (they did). I liked sitting on the "indoor patio" where you get the feeling of being outdoors but are still protected by a pergola. I would definitely come back here again although I wish the menu was more like the Chaya in Beverly Hills.Special Features:
- outstandingGrzyDined on 7/22/2014The whole experience was great. From the fresh baked rustic bread to the dessert, each dish had a wow factor in presentation and taste. You really can't go wrong with Chaya, no matter the occasion. Things like temperature of the restaurant and of the food were spot on, as well as the lightning. The food was incredible. Bonus: 4 hour validated parking underneath.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2014Jonathan our server was excellent!! Awesome Attitude & Very AttentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chaya is good, not greatLAStevenDined on 7/21/2014Have had several lunches at Chaya and I want to love it...but don't. Each time the service seems formulaic and rushed, it's very noisy, and food has been good but not great (burger is very good, short ribs "meh" and a salad was unforgettable). Service has always been "off", meaning that it feels like the server is not really attentive, just doing the minimum but all dressed up for a big party. Drinks were not refilled without flagging someone down.
- Great valuehardtopleaseVIPDined on 7/20/2014Had the Dine LA menu. Very good, not the tired steak/salmon/chicken offerings of most DLA menus. Vichyssoise with uni excellent. Halibut very good. Service a bit haphazard on a Sunday. But 1/2 price wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something DifferentJoyofFoodDined on 7/18/2014We enjoyed our lunch at this restuarant. It was a first time for both of us and I would recommend it for the look and feel. The food was good, but I think it could be better. I will return just to compare the experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.