525 S. Flower Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
EurasianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thechaya.com/
- Phone: 2132369577
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 12:00 - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Shigefumi Tachibe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Chaya Downtown offers a private dining room which can accomodate up to 36 guests. The Covered Patio can also be reserved for private parties up to 60 guests. For more information regarding all your private events contact Elaine Asada at 213-236-9577, Ext. 19. Or directly at 310-508-5356
- Cross Street: Between 5th and 6th
- Public Transit: FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE provided to and from major entertainment venues in Downtown Los Angeles. It runs every 15min beginning at 6:45pm.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: The valet is located in the City National Parking Plaza garage on level A. The private elevator will take you directly to Chaya on the ground level. For lunch the first Three Hours are a flat rate of $5.00 with validation, and anything beyond will be charged at the normal rate. Parking for dinner is free for the first Four Hours and a flat rate of $7.00 for anything beyond.
A word from Chaya Downtown
CHAYA Downtown, the newest member of the CHAYA family of restaurants, is located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, combining urban chic and European sensibility with Japanese hospitality. The menu plays off its French Japanese culinary tradition as it takes diner on an epicurean journey. The modern, chic ambiance sets the mood as diners enter the lively bar and lounge. The spacious dining room is lined with intimate booths that open to the outdoor patio surrounded by lush landscaping. The garden patio is available for bar seating and full dining. A 12-seat sushi bar features a full view of CHAYA sushi chefs at work. CHAYA Downtown offers convenient lunch menu options Monday through Friday for professionals looking to grab a quick bite. Guests can enjoy dinner seven nights a week. Happy Hour at CHAYA is a popular time for downtown dwellers and professionals to enjoy savory small plates and specialty cocktails. An extensive wine and sake list perfectly complements the menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chaya Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Chaya Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)great for lunch (57)special occasion (55)great for outdoor dining (55)good for groups (32)neighborhood gem (26)romantic (25)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (21)notable wine list (16)great for brunch (9)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Went for the Sunday wine and dine special. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/13/2014This was my first time at Chaya Downtown, and the experience was as great as the other locations I've been. The food is always very good, and everyone we interacted with was pleasant and accommodating.Special Features:
- reviewVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a great dinner here. Food and services was great. Had the vegetable sushi roll, delicious. My husband had the bento box, he loved everything in his bento. He said he would definitely get that again. I had the filet mignon, absolutely so tender and tasted fabulous. We shared the apple tart dessert and it was delicious also. My husband said the french pressed coffee was great and I was so happy they had simple Japanese green tea, so delicate and delicious. Most places do not carry green tea or they have it with they have floral flavoring with it. Overall we had a super dinner here.Special Features:
- megustacomerDined on 9/7/2014Excellent food and service. All very fresh. I would recommend for dinner prior to a show at the Music Center.Special Features:
- Great experienceRavensReviewDined on 9/6/2014Went here for a friend's birthday and the food and service were great.Special Features:
- I've never had a bad meal here.JulesVIPDined on 8/27/2014It's one of those places that you know you'll spend $30 for lunch, but you'll walk out happy and satisfied w/ a delicious meal. The bento box is always delicious. It's better japanese cuisine than you'll find in most places in LA's Little Tokyo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea bass is my favoriteFrequentdiner365VIPDined on 8/27/2014Reliable and consistent, accompanied by great service is the key to the success of this restaurant. Always satisfies and gets you in and out on time especially during a busy lunch.Special Features:
- DisappointingEZBreezyDined on 8/19/2014It's been a while since I've been to Chaya and it will be some time before I return. The food was just unremarkable. The skewers had not flavor, the tuna tartare the same and the sashimi wasn't the quality you'd find at a good sushi bar.
- Excellent Japanese/California food.downtownfanDined on 8/16/2014One of the best restaurants downtown. Great environment, food and service. An elegant place with delicious Japanese/California fusion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobmDined on 8/16/2014We have been to Chaya a number of times because amongst other reasons we enjoyed the food however that was not the case on our last visit.
- Cosmopolitan Night OutHungryDined on 8/15/2014Our party had a great time enjoying the excellent food and service. We visited on a Friday evening so the crowd was lively; however, the noise level was acceptable. The Be to box was my choice and it was a first rate. I look forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- Bad Experience in Valet ParkingLvtoeatVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have been going to Chaya Downtown for the Sunday dinners since long time ago. However, we were all disappointed when we went to Chaya Downtown this past Sunday night. Nothing really special in all 4 courses. One lady in our group did not even finish her main course. The dessert used to be very good but it was nothing to talk about this time. I missed the time when Chaya was serving the 3-course dinner for just $25. One more thing, and this is the main reason why we will not go back to Chaya again. The valet guy, Jose, was very rude and screamed at us when we told him that we wanted to do the self park which is allowed on Sundays. Jose even drove another restaurant patron's car to follow us around. This totally ruined the evening.
- Great for lunch, not for weekendWeekdayWarriorVIPDined on 8/10/2014Chaya is my preferred restaurant for business lunches . I enjoy it so much that I brought my family here for a weekend dinner before a concert. I was fairly disappointed with their dinner/weekend menu selection. Needed more options. Even a bento box option would have been nice and more options for my vegetarian daughter. Will keep coming for weekday lunches, but not so much for dinners.Special Features:
- Pre theater faveBeingVIPDined on 8/9/2014Lovely tasty beautifully presented fare. Daniel P was a wonderful waiter. Sitting outside on a summer day, watching the trees in the courtyard is so relaxing. A preferred way to dine. It is always a great restaurant for pre-theater dining.Special Features:
- Still the Best for Sunday dinnersGreensmarkVIPDined on 8/3/2014Had the best time here on Sunday. Actually are seeing some friends on our recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had in a long time!BigDVIPDined on 8/1/2014Excellent, high quality ingredients prepared by outstanding chefs. We ate in the beer garden (very energetic and busy with TGIF activity from the surrounding offices) before we went to the Music Center. A more serene setting is inside in the dining room. Our server accommodated our schedule, and was extremely helpful with the menu. We shared a bento box and some sashimi. Every item in the bento box was excellent, and the sashimi was top quality. We have eaten here several times before, and I don't know why it took us to long to return. I particularly appreciate that the restaurant highlights all of the farms that source their produce in the menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014The luncheon was for my girl friend's retirement. Chaya printed "Happy Retirement" on the menu header.Special Features:
- xxxxVIPDined on 7/28/2014I always like all the Chaya restaurants. I wasn't overwhelmed with this time. I have been here for lunch & i thought it's really good. there weren't many people dining. it took more than 5 minutes for the waiter to take a drink order. he was nice but anything that was asked was answered with a no. i wasn't asking for complete food makeovers. i guess their chef is not flexible. i had dinner last week at Spago and you can ask them for anything. Our waiter was ok but not great. Busboys were good, refilling water glasses, etc. i think they changed their menu. One thing they serve that is delicious is their fries.Special Features:
- reviewVIPDined on 7/26/20144 1/2 stars. Had a nice dinner here. We enjoyed the food and dinner, had a little higher anticipation since the last time we ate here we had one of the best dinners. Service was great and food was really good. We will have to come back on a Sunday for their 4 course meal, sounds interesting. Overall we did have a lovely dinner.Special Features:
- Exceptional welcomeJillDined on 7/26/2014Often when I go to restaurants now, the staff at the front desk are either so overwhelmed with the phone or they are clueless how to greet their guests. This restaurant is the exception. When I walked in, both of the women at the front desk said, "Hello and welcome" and quickly identified my name on the list. Then, I was cheerfully seated by the professional hostess (a blonde woman). My server was also particularly friendly and was open to asking the chef to do a special sushi plate for me (they did). I liked sitting on the "indoor patio" where you get the feeling of being outdoors but are still protected by a pergola. I would definitely come back here again although I wish the menu was more like the Chaya in Beverly Hills.Special Features:
- outstandingGrzyDined on 7/22/2014The whole experience was great. From the fresh baked rustic bread to the dessert, each dish had a wow factor in presentation and taste. You really can't go wrong with Chaya, no matter the occasion. Things like temperature of the restaurant and of the food were spot on, as well as the lightning. The food was incredible. Bonus: 4 hour validated parking underneath.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2014Jonathan our server was excellent!! Awesome Attitude & Very AttentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chaya is good, not greatLAStevenDined on 7/21/2014Have had several lunches at Chaya and I want to love it...but don't. Each time the service seems formulaic and rushed, it's very noisy, and food has been good but not great (burger is very good, short ribs "meh" and a salad was unforgettable). Service has always been "off", meaning that it feels like the server is not really attentive, just doing the minimum but all dressed up for a big party. Drinks were not refilled without flagging someone down.
- Great valuehardtopleaseVIPDined on 7/20/2014Had the Dine LA menu. Very good, not the tired steak/salmon/chicken offerings of most DLA menus. Vichyssoise with uni excellent. Halibut very good. Service a bit haphazard on a Sunday. But 1/2 price wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something DifferentJoyofFoodDined on 7/18/2014We enjoyed our lunch at this restuarant. It was a first time for both of us and I would recommend it for the look and feel. The food was good, but I think it could be better. I will return just to compare the experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Romantic AmbianceCaraDTLADined on 7/17/2014My boyfriend and I came here for Dine LA's Restaurant Week and their 3-course prix - fixe menu offers an array of choices to satisfy your taste buds. We highly recommend their filet mignon. We ordered it rare and it was cooked perfectly! The beets are good but for an extra $3.00, you can get their tuna tartare that will simply melt in your mouth. And of course, we'll talk about desserts! Two thumbs up for chocolate cake and caramel ice cream. It's a perfect combination of sweet and rich chocolate with a hint of saltiness from the caramel. With Chaya's good wine selection, we had an Oregon pinot to pair our meal. I really recommend dining in the outdoor patio for a touch of romance and privacy. Will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LA TreatHappydinningVIPDined on 7/13/2014Dinner at Chaya was a treat. Our group dined there on a Sunday evening and were pleasantly surprised by the tasting meal and the 1/2 bottle of wine. Delicious food, great service - Great evening.Special Features:
- I always enjoy ChayaHard2PleaseDined on 7/13/2014Because I live downtown and also work next door, it's an easy choice for me. However I would only choos it more than once if it didn't meet my standards. I particularly like the 4 course menu offered on Sunday nights, and try to indulge myself a couple of times each month. The service is flawless but friendly, and I always leave in a good humor. I've also had drinks or dinner with friends and family many times, and never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food in DTLA!FoodieatheartDined on 7/10/2014I took my husband for his birthday dinner here. The food was excellent from start to finish. Service was good as well, made our meal feel more special. Was surprised at how people were dressed down. From the website, it looked more upscale. Also, the DJ at the Happy Hour killed the intimate dinner we were hoping for. Bad taste in techno music, felt like we were in a dated club. Lower the bass! Overall though we would come back for the food and partake in Happy Hour with the yakitori and oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get there early for a quiet lunchroxleeVIPDined on 7/10/2014If you decide to eat inside, get there on the early side. As lunch goes into full swing, it tends to get pretty loud. Also, be aware that as the server offers you items, they may be charges associated with it. For example, we were offered bread with butter and their olive tempanade. The tiny bowl (and I mean very very small) cost $6. Not a big deal, but these things tend to add up - and I was surprised that this was not included with the bread/butter - by the way it was offered. Overall quite good, great ambiance and a good place for lunch, though on the more pricey side.Special Features:
- Consistently good foodatrisktravelerVIPDined on 7/9/2014Chaya Downtown has consistently been my "go to" restaurant for business lunches. Quality is always good and I have never been surprised by this place being off their game. Greens are always fresh and fish is never overcooked. I recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous service!JaneConsumerDined on 7/5/2014if you are a foodie you will find that the menu here isn't particularly adventurous or creative but their food is generally prepared well. they change items on their menu periodically excepting their cocktails. Those seem to remain the same. i recommend the oysters and any of the entrees. I do not go here for the sushi or the cocktails although both have on occasion impressed. it is pricey. all that being said, the service is consistently excellent and that coupled with general high quality of the food makes this one of my 'go to' places in dtla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceRichieRichDined on 7/5/2014Our Server Dan was great He recommended both a mixed drink that was perfect, and also hit the mark for dessertSpecial Features:
- Bento was the bombRickVIPDined on 7/1/2014Bento box of the day was terrific and not your average. Excellent sampler of sushi, seafood and steak.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/20/2014I always try one or more of their special. Fish is very fresh, beef is so tender, very creative, fusion style menu. Too bad they stopped the "nigiri" style of sushi. I guess the traditional style of sushi is no longer popular. I can see how most of the people order sushi rolls nowadays.Special Features:
- Nice downtown lunch siteHalHFinaprosDined on 6/12/2014This was a good recommendation by my downtown client; menu, service and food were all very good, but noise level a bit to high for a business lunch environment if you need to discuss important matters. Works fine if you're looking for a place to entertain a client for lunch. We were all satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous foodbusinessdinnerwinDined on 6/10/2014Some of the best I've had in a while. Went on business; very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointmentYummmmDined on 5/31/2014Great food always! We had a party of 40 people last month and it was amazing. Took my in-laws for a dinner for 4 on a Saturday night and it was just as amazing! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great place!DowntownDinerDined on 5/29/2014This is my second time at Chaya and I LOVE it! Food is awesome and so is the staff. Will def visit again soon!Special Features:
- Best Steak I've Had in YEARSPrettyDarnPickyDined on 5/24/2014First, our waiter Dan, was fabulous. He was personable, asked about our activities following dinner and it happened that we were going to see a show at the Ahmenson. It was then that we found out about the shuttle that takes you from the restaurant to and from the Music Center so that's a plus. Parked downstairs and everything worked like clockwork. OK that said, I have special dietary needs at present. He was very accommodating and worked with me and the chef (It wasn't too busy at 6:00 so it was possible to do some substituting). He had a good sense of humor, suggested good cocktails with our meals. Only thing: my husband's salmon looked picture perfect but tasted too fishy. The specialty salad with peaches was unique and just delicious!Special Features: