132 The Embarcadero
(between Mission & Howard)
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
EurasianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thechaya.com/
- Phone: 4157778688x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm,
Dinner: Sunday:5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary European, Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Yuko Kajino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chaya offers specialty catering off-site. They work with each client individually and prepare menus to each client’s personal liking. If you have any questions about special events feel free to contact our Event Manager, Matthew Lamos at 415-777-8688 or thru Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Events: Wine Sundays, every Sunday evening. We are offering a 50% off of our entire wine list.
A word from Chaya Brasserie
Renowned for serving innovative cuisine that blends European and Asian flavors, CHAYA Brasserie has been tempting palates in San Francisco for the last 12 years. With the culinary expertise of Executive Chef Yuko Kajino at the helm, CHAYA Brasserie brings the restaurant’s Euro-Asian cooking to a comfortable, business casual atmosphere. The two combined rooms offer magnificent views from every seat in the restaurant that sweep from the Ferry Building to the Bay Bridge. The main dining room offers a lively bar/dining area and the more serene carpeted dining room offers a more private setting as well as a sushi bar and a glass sushi table, both reserved for reservation or drop-in guests. Chaya Brasserie is known for top quality Sushi, innovative cuisine, stunning design, and superb service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chaya Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (122)fit for foodies (84)special occasion (78)romantic (58)good for groups (47)great for lunch (38)great for outdoor dining (31)neighborhood gem (30)hot spot (28)notable wine list (23)vibrant bar scene (23)late-night find (10)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Beautiful!DorothyVIPDined on 10/20/2014Food was wonderful, view magnificent! We enjoyed the excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Better than the lastpc1244VIPDined on 10/18/2014My visit this time around was pleasant as my requests were met and there was no wait time this go around.Special Features:
- Food, View & ServiceDCFremontDined on 10/18/2014Went out for our Anniversary Dinner. We shared a Rainbow Sushi and Seaweed Salad which is just okay. For entrees my hubby ordered the Honey coffee glazed Duck Breast and I ordered the Brioche Crusted Sole Fish. Both entrees were awesome! We also ordered the Roasted Cauliflower Medley to share as recommended by our waiter. Although it was good, you can skip the sides to save room for dessert which we didn't had a chance cause we were both full. Prices are a bit steep! After all, you dine in the city and it's all about ambiance and that lit up Bay Bridge view. Romantic!!! Request a window seat. I love that they have valet parking esp. we were running a bit late.Special Features:
- Was just okyupitsmeDined on 10/17/2014A large party of us came here after a museum opening, I made a reservation for 8 in advance. They called every day to make sure we were going to honor our reservation. On the way to the restaurant they called to tell us they were not going to give us the quiet table I requested and seated us right near the kitchen, it felt like the hallway. That was the first disappointment. The other was that the food was uneven. Some of the sushi and chiraishi was good. But my Mother's duck entree was dry, flavorless and disappointing. Waiters were rushing around our table all night since we were right in the flow of traffic. I will tell the museum director that this was a huge disappointment and that they should not host out of town guests here.
- SunInTheCityDined on 10/17/2014This was our first time at the restaurant and my first time writing a review. The food was excellent. They have some of the best sushi I have had in the Bay Area. It was fresh, the presentation was great, and I love the smaller size of the pieces. Unfortunately, the hostess was a little snobby. More than 50% of the tables were open, yet they sat us right by the entrance where there was a lot of noise and people walking by. We asked to be moved to any other table before we sat down, and at first the hostess said ok, but then after consulting with another hostess, we were told that we couldn't sit anywhere else. The table was so low that I couldn't cross my legs while seated. It was a minor annoyance, but I just didn't feel comfortable there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed sushi .... Delicious !!!FireflyDined on 10/10/2014Perfect place to take friends from Michigan when they only had one night in San Francisco .... Sushi was beautifully presented ..... Our waiter was delightful ..... Table was just what I asked for ..... Bay Bridge was Gleaming !!!! Great work !!!!Special Features:
- Best View of Bay BridgeKidCudiDined on 10/7/2014From anywhere in The main dinning room there is a perfect view of the bay bridge and lights. Wonderful sushi and main course options. The Hamatchi is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what i expectedDinerGirlDined on 10/5/2014Service was super slow, we asked for bread, water, utensils, etc multiple times and had to ask different servers to finally get it. appetizers were really good, the entrees were mediocre. waitress was not paying attention at all, ordered the wrong dish for us and then when she "corrected" it, it was still not the dish we asked for, but at that point we said forget it because everyone else was done eating and they made it very clear they were closing so we felt very rushed. no one was actually rude, but no one was friendly at all. not one person smiled or made us feel welcome! We treated our guests for a nice dinner out for a special occasion and we were all so disappointed that we promised to take them out again to make up for this!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014Horrible waiter...rude, pompous...the water server was better. Did not care to explain the menu or give recommendations, did not offer coffee with our dessert. Other than that the food was amazing. Get the croissant bread pudding.Special Features:
- tasty but overpricedluv3di0rDined on 10/4/2014I've been here twice and had two different experiences. The service this most recent time was pretty meh. It wasnt that busy and there seemingly were a lot of servers going around, yet it took them 10 minutes even to bring us bread and 5 minutes to get water. The food came pretty fast, but the servings were frankly too small. Great steak, perfectly cooked and tender. Pretty good, just felt like it was overpriced, and the wine and beer menu is pretty underwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KenandMargiePDined on 10/3/2014Poor service. Waiter seemed irritated at us. Cocktails took a long time to be served to us. Arrived after our appetizerSpecial Features:
- For a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014My daughter's 21st birthday, so she ordered a drink for the first time. It arrived with a small fruit fly in it. When we asked the server for a new one, he looked at it and said "is it okay if we used the same glass?" Of course, he was joking, and that's what we really loved about this restaurant. It was elegant, delicious, beautiful view, but NOT pretentious. Every dish was amazing! Our entrees were all brought at the exact same time by servers who knew who got what without asking. The bread pudding we ordered for desert came on a plate with a candle and Happy Birthday written in beautiful chocolate writing (we didn't ask, it just came - thanks Open Table). The miso cod was the best I've ever had. We will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, better bartenderspociusDined on 10/3/2014We had reservations but we arrived early and stopped at the bar for a pre dinner drink. After 5 minutes talking with Eric we decided to eat at the bar. Great drinks, great conversation, excellent (non traditional) sushi. Loved it and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Wowed againFoodEnthusiastVIPDined on 9/22/2014This was not our first time at Chaya but it has been a few years since we were there. The place still serves great food and when you have the chance to sit near the large windows you get a lovely view of the Bay Bridge/Bay/Embarcadero. The drinks from the bar are masterfully mixed so that is another plus. And as for dessert you have to get the chocolate croissant bread pudding. I am not a bread pudding person at all but this is the only one I will eat and would go out of my way to eat here just to get it.Special Features:
- accomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/22/2014Accomodated well with large party and LATE guests. Food was really good as well. Would come here again.Special Features:
- DorsetDined on 9/22/2014The seafood choices are not only delicious, but the presentations are beautiful. A bit pricey for lunch, but the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fooddining4funDined on 9/21/2014The food was amazing. Every dish was delicious. The view of the bridge with the lights are perfect at sunset moving into night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceCarolVIPDined on 9/20/2014Our view was looking at the new illuminated Bay Bridge which is gorgeous. The food was good but the service wasn't great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so-so experiencelovedelishfoodandgreatsvcVIPDined on 9/20/2014We dined at Chaya this past weekend on the fly-we hadn't been there in years and have always enjoyed both the food and the service. Our host greeted us warmly and seated us at a fabulous table. But it took at least 15 minutes for our server to come over and even acknowledge us. Once he was there, he was delightful and knowledgeable...but the level of attention (or lack thereof) continued ALL evening. The busboy was good & it would have been an all out horrible experience if it wasn't for him. We were very surprised at the lack of attention of our server. I don't think we were the only ones - they must have been short on staff that day. But atleast acknowledge, apologize and gain our empathy! I don't know if we will go back any time soon.Special Features:
- Party of 8OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014This was a special occasion, a gathering of 8 old friends that had not seen each other in quite awhile. I called 2 days ahead to confirm and everything was good, the restaurant also called one day ahead. The hostess was very attentive to our party and my special requests of ordering appetizers ahead of time so that they were at the table soon after our party was seated. The food was fantastic, from the sushi appetizers to the bread pudding dessert. The filet melted in your mouth. What I also appreciated was the staff did not rush us, we lingered for quite awhile after dessert ordering more after dinner drinks and we never felt that we had to rush out. It was a very lovely evening. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is EverythingAtYourServiceDined on 9/20/2014I hate lover, however, with impeccable service I might just enjoy it. As a business owner, I often watch the consistency of service per person and per table. Let's just say as a single diner I do not feel I had a solid experience until I asked for their name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious sashimi; wine advise ?PrincetonVIPDined on 9/19/2014Outside is first come first serve. Although along the Embarcadero, I would still prefer to sit outside, but the ambiance inside is also great. Service was ok, friendly, but not outstanding. Food was delicious. We shared sashimi and sushi. The waiters need to know more about the wine. I asked for the most 'oaky' chardonnay, paid almost 100$ for 1 bottle (was the second bottle), and it was a good wine, but not oaky.Special Features:
- Terrific experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2014My diners thought the service, atmosphere and the food were all wonderful!Special Features:
- Not a BrasserieMickDined on 9/18/2014The menu was more Japanese. Food was very good. Great service. The waiter comped the desert because it was a birthday celebration. Small things like that make a difference.Special Features:
- Pretentious serviceDaveVIPDined on 9/14/2014Didn't have a good experience here. Asked to modify two dishes to remove a couple of ingredients and got a lot of rudeness from the waiter. The whole meal, he was either absent or cold to us. The good was mediocre. There are better places in SF!
- Sunday dinnermargiepargie123Dined on 9/14/2014took a guest from NYC for dinner. He loved the view. Fish was very good and knowledgeable waiter. The bill was incorrect - we were charged for an extra drink. Waiter apologized and it was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewJerieDined on 9/13/2014Food was very good. Server was good but not the friendliest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and viewPLeLamVIPDined on 9/12/2014Always a slam dunk, especially when bringing out of town guests. Spectacular sushi with a beautiful view of the Bay Bridge all lit up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/11/2014We were lucky to get a seat at the window in the room further away from the bar which was good for the noise level and allowed to have a nice conservation amongst our group. Food was very nice and I still like the Filet Mignon as one of the best in town. Try the bread pudding dessert, it is fantasticSpecial Features:
- Everything was Amazing!CatttDined on 9/6/2014Sushi with a French flair? Yes, it is possible and very good! We were told you can't go wrong with what you order and it was proven after each of our three appetizers and then main dishes all arrived. Only gripe is I wish you could get a little more food for the money.Special Features:
- fabulous foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Excellent food, Very Knowledgeable Wait Staff Great Location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/4/2014Great food, services, and amazing view! Amazing place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb seafoodMskaiDined on 8/30/2014The service was superb. Cocktails, wine selections and of course the fresh seafood was just superb! I would go back here for sure when I am back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bigboyDined on 8/28/2014Great Asian fusion restaurant. Sushi is great. The food is well down.Special Features:
- AlamojoeDined on 8/27/2014The food, service and atmosphere never fail to deliver an excellent experience. Plus, valet parking @ $10 makes it super convenient. Chaya has become our 'go to' place when entertaining guests from out of town and it will continue to hold that spot.Special Features:
- Excellennt Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014We were celebrating my Birthday with Family and had excellent dinner and service was very good. Food was delicious and the selection was perfectSpecial Features:
- Sunday night favRobertVIPDined on 8/24/2014With all wine bottles at 50% discount on Sunday night, I dine here once or twice a month. It's a safe choice, not too expensive with above-average food and efficient service. Euro-Asian cuisine is often successful. Ask for a table with a view of the bridge.Special Features:
- Best Hamachi ever!bravobravoDined on 8/23/2014I've had a lot of Sushi in my day, but we had probably the best Hamachi I have ever had here. So buttery! We had the Miso Cod and cheesecake for dessert and both were excellent. Our waiter was the best we had in our whole time in SF, but we did notice some other waiters may not be as such. The location was great too, on the Embarcadero but away from the hustle and bustle, and overlooking the Oakland Bay bridge. I would say the only negative was it's a small place and the tables are very tight. We were a little to involved in the conversation of the table next to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Was Not GreatYummyInMyTummyVIPDined on 8/20/2014For the price, Chaya disappointed. We were given the wrong menu and then when we received the correct menu, our food was not very tasty. Both of us left most of our food due to disappointment. Will need to think twice before coming again.Special Features:
- consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/17/2014lovely seafood and steak options. we've never been disappointed with Mel's or drinks here. love the cucumber gimlet!Special Features: