132 The Embarcadero
(between Mission & Howard)
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
EurasianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thechaya.com/
- Phone: (415) 777-8688
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm,
Dinner: Sunday:5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary European, Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Yuko Kajino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chaya offers specialty catering off-site. They work with each client individually and prepare menus to each client’s personal liking. If you have any questions about special events feel free to contact our Event Manager, Matthew Lamos at 415-777-8688 or thru Email at: email@example.com.
- Special Events: Wine Sundays, every Sunday evening. We are offering a 50% off of our entire wine list.
A word from Chaya Brasserie
Renowned for serving innovative cuisine that blends European and Asian flavors, CHAYA Brasserie has been tempting palates in San Francisco for the last 12 years. With the culinary expertise of Executive Chef Yuko Kajino at the helm, CHAYA Brasserie brings the restaurant’s Euro-Asian cooking to a comfortable, business casual atmosphere. The two combined rooms offer magnificent views from every seat in the restaurant that sweep from the Ferry Building to the Bay Bridge. The main dining room offers a lively bar/dining area and the more serene carpeted dining room offers a more private setting as well as a sushi bar and a glass sushi table, both reserved for reservation or drop-in guests. Chaya Brasserie is known for top quality Sushi, innovative cuisine, stunning design, and superb service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chaya Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (115)fit for foodies (84)special occasion (77)romantic (58)good for groups (45)great for lunch (35)great for outdoor dining (31)neighborhood gem (31)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (24)notable wine list (19)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/22/2014Had a great dinner on Saturday night. Drinks and snacks in bar prior to dinner hit the spot. Very good service, attentive and helpful. Our party of four ordered the sole, salmon, lamb and the black cod, all receiving kudos. I especially love the black cod, every bite a treat. The views out the large windows were fabulous, the Bay Bridge light show a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TandTVIPDined on 11/21/2014We were greeted and seated right away. The bar was very crowded and lively. The noise level was fine -- the 4 of us could carry on a normal conversation without yelling. We had cocktails before dinner and were given time to enjoy them before the order was taken. The wine we ordered for dinner was brought, opened and poured to breathe a little even before the dinner order was taken. Food arrived in a very relaxed timeframe. We appreciated that, as we were having a good time catching up with each other. The appetizers were very different but quite good. The salad was a surprise as there was no lettuce, but it was good, with lots of different kinds of shaved radishes, fennel and beets. The entrees were fabulous, the lamb dish was very tasty as was the petrale sole and cod. We shared a chocolate dessert that was to die for. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese American fusion cuisine.bonappetitVIPDined on 11/16/2014Excellent Japanese-American fusion cuisine. Excellent sashimi, especially the hamachi, very fresh and buttery.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2014Went here for a nice dinner. had the duck and it was amazing. the cod was great as well. The service can be a little more attentive as the gaps between follow-ups were to far apart. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seen Better DaysSFFoodie77Dined on 11/9/2014This restaurant is beautiful. Sadly the food/menu is a bit dated.
- Fantastic view of Bay Bridge lightsHGWTVIPDined on 11/9/2014Service is friendly and efficient. Oysters on the half shell were delicious. My duck breast was perfectly prepared with a delicious sauce. My wife's petrale sole was good except the lardons in the dish were not rendered and the plate was swimming in oil. A bit disappointing as the fish was cooked perfectly. When she mentioned this to our waiter an expediter came over immediately and offered a complimentary dessert and told us that they would review the dish with the chef. Very professional. I have eaten here many times and have always enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!DatenightfoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014Celebrated our anniversary at Chaya and could not have been happier that we chose this restaurant. It was our first visit here and everything was wonderful. We have no complaints regarding the food, service, atmosphere, etc. Will definitely be returning!!Special Features:
- Best Dessert. Ever.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014The chocolate croissant bread pudding was the reason behind dragging my date all the way from the central valley to eat dinner here - but the rest of the menu never disappoints. Everything we had was amazing, though I do miss the little gem salad. It was one of my favorites. The bread pudding is to die for. It's the best thing I have ever tasted.Special Features:
- across from the waterUcheSFDined on 11/7/2014This was my first time here, had the ribeye and a speakeasy mixed drink. Everyone I was with really liked their food. The presentation was very good, portions were not too small. The seating was slightly cramped but not extremely so. Overall I liked the place and would go back.Special Features:
- BUSINESS LUNCH SUCCESSOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Brought a group of 10 for a lunch. Everyone was impressed with the food and the service. Had a great table with a good view. Happy and full clients are a good thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 11/5/2014Pre-dinner drink poorly made. service was slow. Not the usual outstanding experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/3/2014Reason I gave only 4 stars is because I find the main course a little bit small.Special Features:
- Thanks for the effort!FishDined on 11/1/2014After writing a simple note when making our reservation, letting the restaurant know that it was our 2nd anniversary and that we would like a nice view, they gave us one of the best tables in the house and did everything right to make our evening special! The sushi was fresh and delightful, we enjoyed some creative cocktails and the views....wonderful!! Thanks to all that helped make our anniversary special!!Special Features:
- BLapVIPDined on 10/30/2014the service here is always top notch! and the food is pretty amazing.Special Features:
- Best of All WorldsSunshineDined on 10/27/2014Started off with a couple of sushi rolls, the American Wagyu, which was fabulous. First time ever tried wagyu on sushi and I loved it. Escape from Alcatraz roll was also very good. Main course Honey Glazed Duck Breast prepared perfectly. Finally, the dessert, Warm Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding with Caramel Ice Cream was out of this world. Everytime I come here, anything we order is fantastic. They have a wide variety from Ambience is very nice with a fabulous view of the Bay Bridge. Got a bit noisy, since it was a full house even on a Monday night, but not to complain because everything else was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pumpkineaterVIPDined on 10/27/2014Sashimi and sushi are very fresh and elegantly presentedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go to the barwahteverDined on 10/25/2014The dinner as good, but I would not try to have a drink at the bar again. We ordered drinks and appetizers at the bar since the restaurant doesn't seat you unless everyone in your group is present. The appetizers arrived just as our table was ready. The waitress bar insisted that we could not take our appetizers to our table at the restaurant. Very awkward. She said that food from the bar cannot be taken to our table in the restaurant area. Also, we did not like the high glass "dining" table by the former sushi bar. There's no sushi bar anymore so it was like being stuck in the hallway.Special Features:
- All about It!HorribleServiceDined on 10/25/2014Had such a great experience here on a Saturday night! Firstly the service was impeccable, never a moment did we feel ignored. Secondly, the foooood! The Spicey Tuna Roll is a MUST, just to die for! Also the Warm Chicolate Croissant Bread pudding was just ridiculously delicious! Our whole dinning experience was just fabulous, such a laid back sophisticated vibe this place has. We will definitely be back for another elegant dinner soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful!DorothyVIPDined on 10/20/2014Food was wonderful, view magnificent! We enjoyed the excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Better than the lastpc1244VIPDined on 10/18/2014My visit this time around was pleasant as my requests were met and there was no wait time this go around.Special Features:
- Food, View & ServiceDCFremontDined on 10/18/2014Went out for our Anniversary Dinner. We shared a Rainbow Sushi and Seaweed Salad which is just okay. For entrees my hubby ordered the Honey coffee glazed Duck Breast and I ordered the Brioche Crusted Sole Fish. Both entrees were awesome! We also ordered the Roasted Cauliflower Medley to share as recommended by our waiter. Although it was good, you can skip the sides to save room for dessert which we didn't had a chance cause we were both full. Prices are a bit steep! After all, you dine in the city and it's all about ambiance and that lit up Bay Bridge view. Romantic!!! Request a window seat. I love that they have valet parking esp. we were running a bit late.Special Features:
- Was just okyupitsmeDined on 10/17/2014A large party of us came here after a museum opening, I made a reservation for 8 in advance. They called every day to make sure we were going to honor our reservation. On the way to the restaurant they called to tell us they were not going to give us the quiet table I requested and seated us right near the kitchen, it felt like the hallway. That was the first disappointment. The other was that the food was uneven. Some of the sushi and chiraishi was good. But my Mother's duck entree was dry, flavorless and disappointing. Waiters were rushing around our table all night since we were right in the flow of traffic. I will tell the museum director that this was a huge disappointment and that they should not host out of town guests here.
- SunInTheCityDined on 10/17/2014This was our first time at the restaurant and my first time writing a review. The food was excellent. They have some of the best sushi I have had in the Bay Area. It was fresh, the presentation was great, and I love the smaller size of the pieces. Unfortunately, the hostess was a little snobby. More than 50% of the tables were open, yet they sat us right by the entrance where there was a lot of noise and people walking by. We asked to be moved to any other table before we sat down, and at first the hostess said ok, but then after consulting with another hostess, we were told that we couldn't sit anywhere else. The table was so low that I couldn't cross my legs while seated. It was a minor annoyance, but I just didn't feel comfortable there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great decisionMBODDined on 10/16/2014amazing view of the bay bridge, expansive menu and almost everything was delicious. Great wine and cocktail menu and a happy hour menu as well!Special Features:
- We enjoyed sushi .... Delicious !!!FireflyDined on 10/10/2014Perfect place to take friends from Michigan when they only had one night in San Francisco .... Sushi was beautifully presented ..... Our waiter was delightful ..... Table was just what I asked for ..... Bay Bridge was Gleaming !!!! Great work !!!!Special Features:
- Best View of Bay BridgeKidCudiDined on 10/7/2014From anywhere in The main dinning room there is a perfect view of the bay bridge and lights. Wonderful sushi and main course options. The Hamatchi is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what i expectedDinerGirlDined on 10/5/2014Service was super slow, we asked for bread, water, utensils, etc multiple times and had to ask different servers to finally get it. appetizers were really good, the entrees were mediocre. waitress was not paying attention at all, ordered the wrong dish for us and then when she "corrected" it, it was still not the dish we asked for, but at that point we said forget it because everyone else was done eating and they made it very clear they were closing so we felt very rushed. no one was actually rude, but no one was friendly at all. not one person smiled or made us feel welcome! We treated our guests for a nice dinner out for a special occasion and we were all so disappointed that we promised to take them out again to make up for this!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014Horrible waiter...rude, pompous...the water server was better. Did not care to explain the menu or give recommendations, did not offer coffee with our dessert. Other than that the food was amazing. Get the croissant bread pudding.Special Features:
- tasty but overpricedluv3di0rDined on 10/4/2014I've been here twice and had two different experiences. The service this most recent time was pretty meh. It wasnt that busy and there seemingly were a lot of servers going around, yet it took them 10 minutes even to bring us bread and 5 minutes to get water. The food came pretty fast, but the servings were frankly too small. Great steak, perfectly cooked and tender. Pretty good, just felt like it was overpriced, and the wine and beer menu is pretty underwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KenandMargiePDined on 10/3/2014Poor service. Waiter seemed irritated at us. Cocktails took a long time to be served to us. Arrived after our appetizerSpecial Features:
- For a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014My daughter's 21st birthday, so she ordered a drink for the first time. It arrived with a small fruit fly in it. When we asked the server for a new one, he looked at it and said "is it okay if we used the same glass?" Of course, he was joking, and that's what we really loved about this restaurant. It was elegant, delicious, beautiful view, but NOT pretentious. Every dish was amazing! Our entrees were all brought at the exact same time by servers who knew who got what without asking. The bread pudding we ordered for desert came on a plate with a candle and Happy Birthday written in beautiful chocolate writing (we didn't ask, it just came - thanks Open Table). The miso cod was the best I've ever had. We will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, better bartenderspociusDined on 10/3/2014We had reservations but we arrived early and stopped at the bar for a pre dinner drink. After 5 minutes talking with Eric we decided to eat at the bar. Great drinks, great conversation, excellent (non traditional) sushi. Loved it and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Excellent experiencelookingforperfectionVIPDined on 9/23/2014Our dining experience was almost flawless from start to finish. The only dish I didn't care for much was one of the salads, which was too bland for my taste. The entrees, the drinks and the wine made up for it.Special Features:
- Wowed againFoodEnthusiastVIPDined on 9/22/2014This was not our first time at Chaya but it has been a few years since we were there. The place still serves great food and when you have the chance to sit near the large windows you get a lovely view of the Bay Bridge/Bay/Embarcadero. The drinks from the bar are masterfully mixed so that is another plus. And as for dessert you have to get the chocolate croissant bread pudding. I am not a bread pudding person at all but this is the only one I will eat and would go out of my way to eat here just to get it.Special Features:
- accomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/22/2014Accomodated well with large party and LATE guests. Food was really good as well. Would come here again.Special Features:
- DorsetDined on 9/22/2014The seafood choices are not only delicious, but the presentations are beautiful. A bit pricey for lunch, but the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fooddining4funDined on 9/21/2014The food was amazing. Every dish was delicious. The view of the bridge with the lights are perfect at sunset moving into night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceCarolVIPDined on 9/20/2014Our view was looking at the new illuminated Bay Bridge which is gorgeous. The food was good but the service wasn't great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so-so experiencelovedelishfoodandgreatsvcVIPDined on 9/20/2014We dined at Chaya this past weekend on the fly-we hadn't been there in years and have always enjoyed both the food and the service. Our host greeted us warmly and seated us at a fabulous table. But it took at least 15 minutes for our server to come over and even acknowledge us. Once he was there, he was delightful and knowledgeable...but the level of attention (or lack thereof) continued ALL evening. The busboy was good & it would have been an all out horrible experience if it wasn't for him. We were very surprised at the lack of attention of our server. I don't think we were the only ones - they must have been short on staff that day. But atleast acknowledge, apologize and gain our empathy! I don't know if we will go back any time soon.Special Features:
- Party of 8OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014This was a special occasion, a gathering of 8 old friends that had not seen each other in quite awhile. I called 2 days ahead to confirm and everything was good, the restaurant also called one day ahead. The hostess was very attentive to our party and my special requests of ordering appetizers ahead of time so that they were at the table soon after our party was seated. The food was fantastic, from the sushi appetizers to the bread pudding dessert. The filet melted in your mouth. What I also appreciated was the staff did not rush us, we lingered for quite awhile after dessert ordering more after dinner drinks and we never felt that we had to rush out. It was a very lovely evening. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.