132 The Embarcadero
(between Mission & Howard)
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
EurasianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thechaya.com/
- Phone: (415) 777-8688
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm,
Dinner: Sunday:5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary European, Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Yuko Kajino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chaya offers specialty catering off-site. They work with each client individually and prepare menus to each client’s personal liking. If you have any questions about special events feel free to contact our Event Manager, Matthew Lamos at 415-777-8688 or thru Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Events: Wine Sundays, every Sunday evening. We are offering a 50% off of our entire wine list.
A word from Chaya Brasserie
Renowned for serving innovative cuisine that blends European and Asian flavors, CHAYA Brasserie has been tempting palates in San Francisco for the last 12 years. With the culinary expertise of Executive Chef Yuko Kajino at the helm, CHAYA Brasserie brings the restaurant’s Euro-Asian cooking to a comfortable, business casual atmosphere. The two combined rooms offer magnificent views from every seat in the restaurant that sweep from the Ferry Building to the Bay Bridge. The main dining room offers a lively bar/dining area and the more serene carpeted dining room offers a more private setting as well as a sushi bar and a glass sushi table, both reserved for reservation or drop-in guests. Chaya Brasserie is known for top quality Sushi, innovative cuisine, stunning design, and superb service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chaya Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (118)fit for foodies (85)special occasion (77)romantic (60)good for groups (47)great for lunch (35)neighborhood gem (31)hot spot (30)great for outdoor dining (29)vibrant bar scene (24)notable wine list (20)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (6)Show More
- Terrific experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2014My diners thought the service, atmosphere and the food were all wonderful!Special Features:
- Not a BrasserieMickDined on 9/18/2014The menu was more Japanese. Food was very good. Great service. The waiter comped the desert because it was a birthday celebration. Small things like that make a difference.Special Features:
- Pretentious serviceDaveVIPDined on 9/14/2014Didn't have a good experience here. Asked to modify two dishes to remove a couple of ingredients and got a lot of rudeness from the waiter. The whole meal, he was either absent or cold to us. The good was mediocre. There are better places in SF!
- Sunday dinnermargiepargie123Dined on 9/14/2014took a guest from NYC for dinner. He loved the view. Fish was very good and knowledgeable waiter. The bill was incorrect - we were charged for an extra drink. Waiter apologized and it was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewJerieDined on 9/13/2014Food was very good. Server was good but not the friendliest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and viewPLeLamVIPDined on 9/12/2014Always a slam dunk, especially when bringing out of town guests. Spectacular sushi with a beautiful view of the Bay Bridge all lit up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/11/2014We were lucky to get a seat at the window in the room further away from the bar which was good for the noise level and allowed to have a nice conservation amongst our group. Food was very nice and I still like the Filet Mignon as one of the best in town. Try the bread pudding dessert, it is fantasticSpecial Features:
- Everything was Amazing!CatttDined on 9/6/2014Sushi with a French flair? Yes, it is possible and very good! We were told you can't go wrong with what you order and it was proven after each of our three appetizers and then main dishes all arrived. Only gripe is I wish you could get a little more food for the money.Special Features:
- fabulous foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Excellent food, Very Knowledgeable Wait Staff Great Location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/4/2014Great food, services, and amazing view! Amazing place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb seafoodMskaiDined on 8/30/2014The service was superb. Cocktails, wine selections and of course the fresh seafood was just superb! I would go back here for sure when I am back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bigboyDined on 8/28/2014Great Asian fusion restaurant. Sushi is great. The food is well down.Special Features:
- AlamojoeDined on 8/27/2014The food, service and atmosphere never fail to deliver an excellent experience. Plus, valet parking @ $10 makes it super convenient. Chaya has become our 'go to' place when entertaining guests from out of town and it will continue to hold that spot.Special Features:
- Excellennt Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014We were celebrating my Birthday with Family and had excellent dinner and service was very good. Food was delicious and the selection was perfectSpecial Features:
- Sunday night favRobertVIPDined on 8/24/2014With all wine bottles at 50% discount on Sunday night, I dine here once or twice a month. It's a safe choice, not too expensive with above-average food and efficient service. Euro-Asian cuisine is often successful. Ask for a table with a view of the bridge.Special Features:
- Best Hamachi ever!bravobravoDined on 8/23/2014I've had a lot of Sushi in my day, but we had probably the best Hamachi I have ever had here. So buttery! We had the Miso Cod and cheesecake for dessert and both were excellent. Our waiter was the best we had in our whole time in SF, but we did notice some other waiters may not be as such. The location was great too, on the Embarcadero but away from the hustle and bustle, and overlooking the Oakland Bay bridge. I would say the only negative was it's a small place and the tables are very tight. We were a little to involved in the conversation of the table next to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Was Not GreatYummyInMyTummyVIPDined on 8/20/2014For the price, Chaya disappointed. We were given the wrong menu and then when we received the correct menu, our food was not very tasty. Both of us left most of our food due to disappointment. Will need to think twice before coming again.Special Features:
- consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/17/2014lovely seafood and steak options. we've never been disappointed with Mel's or drinks here. love the cucumber gimlet!Special Features:
- pc1244VIPDined on 8/16/2014I was a little disappointed with the service. I made a reservation for a party of 5 at a window table. The reservation was at 8.45pm and we were not seated until 9.15pm because "another party was finishing up at our table." Perfectly understandable. Once we were seated, we were seated in the back right next to the open kitchen area which is very loud and definitely not by the window. When we asked the hostess why we weren't able to sit at our requested table she said this was the best they could do. It would have been nice to know in the beginning of the night that we were not going to get our requested table. We ordered our food and waited about an hour before it ever made it to the table. Perhaps it was an off night for Chaya.Special Features:
- Awsome as usual.mickey184Dined on 8/16/2014Foodwas fresh, service was awsome. Don't forget the bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fusion AdventurepetiteFOODIEDined on 8/16/2014I really enjoyed the ambience at Chaya. It was lively but not overwhelming. The maître de was very accommodating and provided us a great booth even after we arrived late. My favorite entree was the duck. The sushi elements were a nice touch of Asian influence but I wish there was more of a crossover between the two cuisines. Overall, I'm glad I made the choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Nice touristy location but food is very average esp for the price.
- Nice View, Good FoodTony123VIPDined on 8/9/2014The food was good, and the view was perfect. I brought guests who were visiting from Italy, and they enjoyed it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- unremarkablepj126Dined on 8/9/2014Pricy for the quality. Fish and veggies were slightly over cooked, sushi was unremarkable and 2x market price for sustainable sushi. Waiter was stoic, but got the job done. Seems like you pay for the location and view, not the food.Special Features:
- Just great... again!MattlocksfDined on 8/5/2014Second time here for birthday celebrations (mature ones) and will definitely return for more in December. Impeccable food and service, and friendly fellow diners (I know, lucky) make for a pleasantly unforgettable meal. I can't say enough about Chaya, but I am doing this on my cell phone. Thank you to everyone at Chaya for another great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationBirthdaygirlDined on 8/2/2014Great food and atmosphere! We celebrated a birthday and althought the place was full we felt like the only party there. We were very happy with the service and food. I originally asked for a window seat but the window was full, but the manager showed us a few other options that worked out perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!NikinSFDined on 8/1/2014We were very happy with the food (especially the tuna tartare!) and jello pudding! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner!!!sk2014Dined on 8/1/2014Chaya came highly recommended by several of my San Francisco friends. As an out of towner, I relied on their recommendation, along with other reviews here on OpenTable. The food did not disappoint!! The service was pretty good, the server forgot a couple of items that we ordered. We had to remind him and then he brought them out. The view of the waterfront was a beautiful backdrop to our dining experience. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Chaya becomes a tradition...ClaudiaNetherland1Dined on 7/30/2014We have recently visit Chaya for the third time in our lifes. Every time if we are travelling to San Francisco, we have dinner at Chaya's. Nine years ago I visit Chaya's on a business trip for the first time. And made a promise to my husband that I invite him within a year to travel with me to San Francisco, especially to have dinner with me at Chaya's. And so we did a year later. Now, eight years later, we again visit with our son Chaya's. And surprisingly we again fell in love with the food, the ambiance and the service. So for us, due to the outstanding quality of Chaya's food and ambiance, Chaya has become a real tradition....Special Features:
- Good Business DinnerFoodieChapVIPDined on 7/29/2014Get a bottle of your favorite wine and pay the $25 corkage fee. Pick off the menu a variety of sashimi, sushi, or land fare. It's all quite tasty. I did wish the table was a bit bigger for the three of us. The restaurant is small and seating is compact. Service is a bit above average. Our server was as attentive as other places have been and he really didn't know how to pour wine.Special Features:
- Edible, but not worth the pricesf1777Dined on 7/26/2014The food: We had sushi rolls and squid for starters. The rolls were quite nice, but nothing special at all. The squid tough and bland, and really did not go with the tangy tomato sauce. We also got a complimentary sweetcorn soup which just tasted like canned sweetcorn. The main courses were significantly better. I had the duck and my girlfriend the salmon (I think), both of which were very tasty (although perhaps not tasty enough for the price) The interior: Comfortable and pleasant The service: Generally good. Our food was substantially delayed, but the manager came out and explained the situation to us and took our starters off the bill. Mistakes happen and they handled it well, so don't really fault them.Special Features:
- I will never come back againChayaRegulationVIPDined on 7/26/2014They were not nice to our group and kept avoiding seating us multiple times, although the restaurant was empty. Once seated the level of service on the restaurant part (the bar was great) was very disappointing. I plan on not returning ever again and will advocate again this place when sending recommendations around Embarcadero. I have never seen a place with so many rules and stupid formality to guests. Don't get me wrong, I've dined in multiple Michelin top restaurants around the globe and this place definitely needs to improve it's customer service.
- Will dine here again.Taster2VIPDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant was near the hotel we were staying in. This is the second time we have dined here. The food is very good, not overly seasoned or salty. One can taste the food and not be overwhelmed by the sauce. We will be back again.Special Features:
- Great California cousineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014This restaurant has a great mix of California and seafood dishes. Unfortunately they removed the Ahi tuna roll from the menu - this was our favourite dish! The view of the Bay bridge is great from the restaurant, especially at night. Parking is difficult in this area.Special Features:
- Not so goodLucieneVIPDined on 7/24/2014It was one of the worst sushis I ever had. The cod was good.
- Great place!FoodieDined on 7/24/2014I took my 3 friends here from New York, and they said they've never had such fresh amazing sushi! We are all foodies and loved our choices exept for 2. The risotto with bay scallops was very bland and boring, and the lobster roll appetizer was not a hit :/ wish we would have ordered more sushi and sashimi instead! Our waiter was the best, and the overall feel and decor along with the lighting was spectacular! I let them face the bay bridge and the light installation which they loved! Absolutely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RodAVIPDined on 7/24/2014The food was excellent and there is a great view of the Bay Bridge. The menu has choices of sashimi, seafood and steaks. We will go again when we're visiting SF.
- The following 1487 reviews are from the Chaya Brasserie reviews archive.
- Check out my blogchefbourgetDined on 7/22/2014you can go to my blog to see what I had to say about this restaurant. gourmetbourget.wordpress.comSpecial Features:
- Chaya Brasserie - Great Experiencetwhitaker33Dined on 7/16/2014I took an important business associate to Chaya and had a fantastic experience. Great seat with a terrific view of the Embarcadero and the food was impressive. Yes, it was on the high end, so expect that, but you get what you pay for in a great way. I also LOVED the convenience of valet parking...terrific all the way around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food.CDFoodieDined on 7/11/2014High quality and extremely tasty. The flavors really come out nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.