381 Bloomfield Ave
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chatnionline.info/
- Phone: 9733375753
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Delivery, Non-Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Chatni
We are pleased to serve you in heart of Montclair, New Jersey. In Indian cuisine, Chatni refers to a wide-ranging family of condiments that usually contain some mixture of spice(s) and vegetable(s) and/or fruit(s)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chatni reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (2)fit for foodies (2)romantic (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Fantastic FoodAnaSDined on 8/8/2014I am generally not fond of Indian food in restaurants, as they all taste similar to me. However, chatney provides fantastic tasty food, fresh and unique.Special Features:
- Glad we cameTahlaniVIPDined on 7/18/2014Wonderful to find such delicious good close to home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Meal!RedFlowerDinerDined on 7/11/2014The Chicken Tikka Masala and Garlic Naan were delicious! My first dinner experience at Chatni was delightful. I look forward to going again during the lunch hour. The service was friendly, yet a tad bit slower than I hoped. Overall, it was an excellent experience. I recommend Chatni!Special Features:
- Great Casual DiningPunkRockGirlDined on 6/6/2014It was great food and outdoor dining area was a surprise bonus!Special Features:
- The following 12 reviews are from the Chatni reviews archive.
- Excellent Food and fair pricesValentineDinerDined on 4/5/2014Have eaten here often. The food is excellent. Nice ambiance with minimal music volume greats a comfortable environment. Service can be spotty: they are always polite, but some things seem to get mis-communicated and this leads to longer wait times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Bad The Service Was AwfulAmorrisonVIPDined on 4/5/2014The food was good, the service was unprofessional & confused. 1.) delay in taking our order 2.) from finishing our appetizers to getting our entrees took 40 min 3.) the server was argumentative. When I asked for the naan bread that's included with the dinner. Server argued the bread is not included although it says it on the menu. I said what!?? The server said that once she got in trouble with her mgr by giving a cust naan bread. I asked to see her mgr, she said he was not there. I said what!?? I asked to see the person in charge. After 10 min, another person placed the bread on our table without any explanation, no one stopped by and asked "how's everything". When dining out, I do not want to get stressed out. I will not come back Chatni.
- Always satisfiedValentineDinerDined on 3/14/2014Chatni has become part of a regular rotation for myself and my girlfriend. Excellent food and service each time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceValentineDinerDined on 2/14/2014The food here is fantastic. The restaurant provides good service and is comfortable. The place was very clean, too. Finally, the prices are very reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodkasaVIPDined on 1/25/2014We really enjoyed the food at Chatni. Tikka Masal was outstanding and my son loved the chicken Tikka. Will definitely go back
- What A Gem!ASperlVIPDined on 1/3/2014A group of girlfriends and I decided upon this place at the last minute, but we're anxious to try something new in the neighborhood. When we arrived, the place was quiet, though very welcoming, and we were greeted by such a friendly staff. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding! They were very accommodating with any dietary restrictions and even overheard a friend of mine wish me a happy belated birthday and then took it upon themselves to bring out a delicious slice of chocolate cake (with a candle!) without my even knowing! We literally closed the place down that night, but they never made us feel rushed. We will absolutely return to Chatni for another meal -- and soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in town!JillybeanDined on 11/23/2013Montclair is known for its good-to-great ethnic food and there's no shortage of Indian restaurants. Having tried almost all of them, I find Chatni to be the best in town for quality and cost. The food is better than others along the Bloomfield Avenue corridor and the ambiance far superior to Upper Montclair's Brick Lane where one can't make a reservation often resulting in long waits, mediocre service and feeling of being rushed -- Chatni makes one feel welcome and valued. And like most Montclair restaurants, it's BYO so you can choose to bring wine, beer or both!Special Features:
- best Indian in MontclairSCcustomerVIPDined on 10/19/2013Never crowded, always consistently excellent food & service at reasonable price.Special Features:
- Great Indian FoodAnnetteDined on 10/9/2013Went to Chatni for the first time. The food was very good, and there was plenty of it. The chicken korma was tasty and mild, as I ordered. The others in our party were satisfied with their dinners as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful ServiceKathyDined on 7/20/2013We went here on a Sat. night and even though the restaurant wasn't packed we were completely ignored by the servers. Took 10 mins for someone to even come by our table and once we ordered our server never came again only to deliver our food an hour later. We didn't have complicated dishes & since there was only a few tables seated I see no reason for the hour wait. Food was ok, but I've definitely had better & definitely not worth the hour wait. Would not come back because of the service.
- food was excellent, well preparedAlanDined on 5/18/2013food was excellent, well prepared and spiced as requested service was very good a real find for good indian food
- Best Indian in MontclairSCcustomerVIPDined on 4/20/2013While there are many (probably too many) Indian restaurants in the area, this new one is fantastic. Big, interesting menu, good service. We overheard the Indian family behind us telling the waiter that it was the best Indian food in Montclair, which is a pretty strong endorsement.Special Features: