Chart House Restaurant - Portland
5700 SW Terwilliger
Portland, OR 97239Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Portland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: 5032466963x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Happy Hour: Every Day: 4:00pm - 7:00pm. Sunday Brunch 10am-3pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Erik Anderson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Portland
Located on historic Terwilliger Boulevard overlooking the Willamette River, Chart House features magnificent views of twinkling city lights, the river and both Mt. Hood & Mount St. Helens. It’s one of the most remarkable settings in the Pacific Northwest. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From signature fish specialties and seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, Miso Glazed Salmon & our slow-roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines and our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Don't miss out on our exceptional, yet affordable lunch menu available Monday-Friday and a Sunday brunch you won't soon forget.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Chart House Restaurant - Portland - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Chart House Restaurant - Portland reviews from OpenTable diners
278 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (265)special occasion (205)romantic (139)notable wine list (66)fit for foodies (66)good for groups (63)great for brunch (53)great for lunch (52)neighborhood gem (46)vibrant bar scene (15)kid-friendly (14)hot spot (13)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Great service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Best service we have had in years!! We arrived earlier than our reservation time, and were seated immediately. Our waiter, Ryland was very friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingCodyDined on 9/19/2014We will go to the chart house again and again. The gentleman that serviced our table was very gracious and had great knowledge Of the menus and local area.He even knew it was my wife's Birthday. I'mSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannot give it a "5"STaaDined on 9/19/2014The Chart House is always a "must" when I go to any city where there is a location. The views are always spectacular, and the Portland location, sitting over the Williamette River, certainly is a great view. Why must they skimp and provide a tiny portion? Other locations give a generous size piece of fish, so you really get the sense you got something for the higher price that you paid. The preparation was good, it is just a bit of a letdown when a petite portion of fish is placed in front of the diner, when you know that you are paying top dollar for your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View-Perfect LocationGDawgDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant offers all the right services, except more often than not, we end up with a server that has the "TAVERN" style service. Rough around the edges, not polished with proper manners and etiquette. Training would help, but not certain in all cases the training would matter.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening!cherDined on 9/18/2014As usual, we had a wonderful dinner with excellent food, drink and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food quality on declineAchoosiefoodieDined on 9/18/2014Ordered prime rib with blue cheese sauce. Prime rib very fatty and blue chees sauce curdled ( over cooked and separated ) Have been going to that location since called hill villa, 4 times a year for 30 years with 3 others. Great view and location but over priced and declining food quality!Special Features:
- The perfect date night dinner spot!SandJDined on 9/17/2014We had a lovely anniversary dinner. The service and food was top notch. We will return for future special occasions or even just to treat ourselves. Romantic yet friendly and welcoming with a spectacular view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- peterfromportlandDined on 9/14/2014Wonderful evening with friends from Texas who had never been in Portland, except for a Convention -- one of the those in-and-out type trips. This time for several days, so time to enjoy the Chart House.Special Features:
- A True GemDavidDined on 9/14/2014Chart House Portland always delivers. The menu has something for everyone and every offering is outstanding. The blue cheese filet may be the best steak in Portland. I have never had a better Ceasar salad. This Portland Gem always exceeds expectations. While a bit spends, the Chart House is worth the extra.Special Features:
- Poor experience for the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The overall experience was pretty bland and did not seem to reflect the image Chart House is trying to portray. I ordered a diet coke that came back flat twice. The brunch entrees were mediocre with my wife's side salad tasting more like onion than anything else. The onion flavor was so strong that, if I didn't see what I was tasting, I would not have figured it for a lettuce salad. The view is great but this is really the only reason to spend time/money hereSpecial Features:
- Great dinner, but a little noisy.RichardDined on 9/13/2014There is a lot to like about the Chart House...excellent food, great service, great drink selection, the scenic view of the City below. The only thing I did not like was the noise level. I think the noise was very high for a restaurant of that caliber. My wife and I had to talk loudly so that we could hear each other over the din of the restaurant. It probably did not help that we were seated in the upper part of the restaurant. The Chart House is a little dated in its finishes, so it could stand a style update, which would be a perfect opportunity to add some sound-absorbing textures.Special Features:
- Can't beat the viewLindaRDined on 9/13/2014Perfect choice for a clear summer evening. Don't fret about getting a window table because all tables have a spectacular view of the city. My mom loved her prime rib. Scallops were wonderful. Good spinach salad tossed at the table and plenty for us to split. Nice list of wine by the glass as well as extensive bottle list. 10% discount on food with the AARP card!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chart houseKimberlyDined on 9/11/2014Service was very slow and they charged us for bottles water when there water was bad because of a fire that was in the area. They should have at least given us free water!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FamilyDesiDined on 9/9/2014My family has been coming to the Chart House in Portland for many years. As of now I live in Southern California, but whenever I return to visit in the Portland area I make it a must to go to your restaurant. Many memories have been made for me at the restaurant. Oh, and yes the food, view, service are awesome. DesiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best in PortlandOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/8/2014We went to the Chart House for our 35th anniversary. We have been there before and wanted to spend our anniversary there. The setting is beautiful and the food superb. We had excellent service. A great time to go is at dusk. You can enjoy the view and then watch the lights come up in the city. We watched the super moon rise over Mt. Hood.Special Features:
- Happy 48 AnniversarymandsDined on 9/8/2014Great for special occasions. We love the service, view, food, and ambiance.Special Features:
- Charter house always greatPortlandDined on 9/7/2014Over the years this place never ceases to maintain. As a couple or a family, we always feels like we treated ourselves here!Special Features:
- Disipointed in choicelanderycardholderDined on 9/7/2014I have visited the Chart House several times and loved the food and service. On my last visit I ordered a selection they called "surf and turf". It was described as scallops with tender ribs that fall off the bones. When it came the scallops excellent, but the over cooked roast beef that was served like shredded like pulled pork with a heavy sauce that tried to save the dish. The ribs were so dry and difficult to chew. I left very disappointed in my meal.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food with a View!!!PDXDAVEDined on 9/7/2014Chart House Portland combines all the necessary elements for truly spectacular dining. The building itself is very comfortable, with interesting geometry that takes full advantage of a second-to-none view of the city. Obviously, without food & service to match, it would be a sad disappointment. Fear not, the menu is as delicious as it is varied. I have yet to have a complaint against the talents of the chef & his minions. On my last visit I enjoyed appetizers: a beautiful prawn cocktail, coconut shrimp, and some award-winning clam chowder. Perfect. I often do that, unless I'm in the mood for their New York steak, or filet mignon. Top it off with warm, yet professional waitstaff, and you've got the winning evening. Bon Appétit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServicesimplefolkDined on 9/5/2014This is a very nice restaurant unfortunately we had a bad experience because our server was not on top of things. The food here is very good, ours was just slow in coming and not very warm when we got it. Needless to say one poor server should not damage the whole restaurant. So I would be willing to try it again, but we were disappointed being it was our Anniversary and were looking to have a nice time. We never even heard from the manager after we sent our food back and our server didn't even own up to the problem... :-( Disappointing :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and delicious.cheersDined on 9/4/2014The best service I can remember having ever. We had happy hour in the bar, daily 4-7 and the dinner. Breathtaking view. We had one of the appetizers, a trio of hummus with plantains and a interesting assortment of bread. Seared scallops, Opah, shrimp and bronze tilapia all delicious. Great sorbet, mud pie and acrobats for dessert. Dozens of wine in every hue by bottle or glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodLunch MenuOftenGuestVIPDined on 9/4/2014We all had a cup of clam chowder that was great and filled with clams. One had fish and chips and the other two had the crab louis. All were excellent, with a lot of crab on the salads. The view, as always, is fantastic. This was a blue sky day with the mountains in view, but that view is great for different reasons even in a rain storm.Special Features:
- nice place and great viewBethanyresidentDined on 9/4/2014Great location with fantastic view. Nice food but not outstanding. I will go back to enjoy the sunset and night scenary later.Special Features:
- Probably won't go againSBWWDined on 9/3/2014The view as usual was lovely. Staff was accommodating in finding us the only window table available but only after I explained we made reservations early to obtain one. Our 71+ aged guests just got engaged and we wanted this dinner it to be special for them. Although the restaurant isn't totally capable of managing guest's children, we were placed close to a table with two that outdid themselves on who could make the most noise. The lava cake was nice but the entrees were blah and small; certainly not worth what we paid for them.Special Features:
- Exceptional!!schubieDined on 9/3/2014We had our nieces from out of town, and inasmuch as I love The Chart House both from past experiences in San Francisco and Portland, I thought the perfect place for us to have a long due family luncheon, and it certainly exceeded my expectations. The view was spectacular and the food outstanding. We left husbands hat and only knew that because they called us to let us know. A great excuse for us to have another lunch when we go to pick it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding... everything!good2eatDined on 9/1/2014The view was breathtaking, the food outstanding and the staff made every minute a joy helping us celebrate our 35th anniversary. Their food recommendations were spot on and it was also a nice touch having the menus printed up with our names and the fact it was our special day. Thanks again for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Lovely viewSheilainBelltownDined on 9/1/2014Our request for a window table was graciously accommodated. He had steak which was too well done, but it was tender so he was satisfied. My assorted seafood plate was OK but not memorable. The salmon was tasty but a bit overcooked, the coconut shrimp was fine and the crab cake was full of crab, but bland and soggy. (I make a great crab cake so am always comparing and coming away disappointed. Therefore, my comment may be too critical.) We shared a delicious molten lava cake, so ended the evening on a happy note. I think the prices were a on the high side but the service and view make this a worthwhile experience. Our server was attentive and the recommended wine was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Great restaurant, good for special occasions , romantic , service was excellent ,although pricey , the food was great with generous portionsSpecial Features:
- sam36Dined on 8/30/2014We are never disappointed when we dine at the Chart House and this visit was no exception. Starting with the greeting by the parking valets to the table we were given and the superb service provided by "Michael". I might add we drive 120 miles from Eugene just to dine at the Chart House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OregoldDined on 8/30/2014For a special occasion it is hard to beat the Chart House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TriciaVIPDined on 8/28/2014The Chart House never disappoints. Food is delicious, presentation beautiful, servers very accommodating, making the experience so very pleasant. The personalized menus are an added feature. We recommend The Chart House always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special or ANY occasion spotShellyDined on 8/28/2014My husband and I took my mom there for her birthday last month... it was fantastic as always! Consistent food, lovely view, great service etc... it is always a great time. She likes the prime rib and I like the filet minon. Both the caesar and spinach salads are fabulous as well. Don't miss the chocolate lava cake... it is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationstormdebDined on 8/28/2014I took my friend to the Chart House to celebrate her birthday. We had a wonderful table with a beautiful view. Our server was great..... as was the food. My friend felt loved and pampered!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for special occasionsalpocopalDined on 8/27/2014We wanted a special place to celebrate our 60th wedding anniversary....and we found it! I am 82 years of age and have eaten hundreds of Filé Mignóns, including in Buenos Áres the beef capital of the world, and the steak I had at the Chart House was hands down the best ever! We were treated like royalty, including a specially printed menu with our names and the occasion printed at the top. The view is spectacular both during day light and after dark. Yes, we had a long enjoyable evening arriving when still day light and leaving after dark!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best view in PDXJspencer29Dined on 8/27/2014The chart house is a regular place it take visitors to Portland. Amazing view, great local fish and top notch service.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationclarkDined on 8/26/2014We always try to celebrate our birthdays with dinner at Portland's Chart House. From the time we drop off our car (valet parking), through dinner time, back to our car, the evening is always a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th anniversaryYummDined on 8/26/2014Great food....great views....and service was good even though it was busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent viewSTaaDined on 8/25/2014As we drove down from Seattle, and our reservation was during rush our, it was a challenge to get to the restaurant on time. The pace of our meal was perfect. The teriyaki sirloin was excellent. The view is really outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable.Xntric1Dined on 8/25/2014My husband and I were visiting Portland for our anniversary. I had noted on our Open Table reservation form that it was our first visit to the city and our anniversary. We were seated at a table with a wonderful view of the river. Our food was great and it will be remembered fondly for the wonderful service, great food & wine, scenic view and overall delightful dinner.Special Features:
- Anniversary Dinner7years2getherDined on 8/25/2014Wanted a special place. Wonderful view. Loved the numerous seafood options. The food was good / pretty presentation, overall a bit bland. For the price I have had better. Good Cocktails. Service fast & friendly. The menu had a special anniversary note for us which was a nice touch. The parking was valet only and it was backed up so we had to circle the neighborhood while that cleared cars away. Not really sure why they have valet when the parking lot was small and conveniently located in front of the restaurant. Our car was literally parked 10 feet away from the door so not worth the wait to drop off and pick up. I'd give it another try, it was good but for the price I would expect more. Definitely you are paying for the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.