Chart House Restaurant - Portland
5700 SW Terwilliger
Portland, OR 97239Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Portland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: (503) 246-6963
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Happy Hour: Every Day: 4:00pm - 7:00pm. Sunday Brunch 10am-3pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Portland
Located on historic Terwilliger Boulevard overlooking the Willamette River, Chart House features magnificent views of twinkling city lights, the river and both Mt. Hood & Mount St. Helens. It’s one of the most remarkable settings in the Pacific Northwest. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From signature fish specialties and seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, Miso Glazed Salmon & our slow-roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines and our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Don't miss out on our exceptional, yet affordable lunch menu available Monday-Friday and a Sunday brunch you won't soon forget.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Chart House Restaurant - Portland - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Chart House Restaurant - Portland reviews from OpenTable diners
252 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (233)special occasion (201)romantic (143)good for groups (75)fit for foodies (72)notable wine list (61)neighborhood gem (42)great for lunch (32)great for brunch (32)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (12)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (9)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Dinner with friendsBarneyDined on 11/22/2014I am always impressed with the Chart House in Portland. It is a special place to have dinner and has a wonderful view especially in the winter months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2014Our server was excellent!!! Great attention to our needs & fun personality!!Special Features:
- thumbs upOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014always great food and service. We went on a whim and brought our 3yr old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Martha RamseyMarram1Dined on 11/16/2014The Chart House is one of my favorite timeless restaurants which I have had the pleasure of frequenting for over 25 years. The last two times I have visited have been for special occasions which were just perfect. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel taken care of without hovering. The views, even on a stormy day, are spectacular. I have never felt rushed. They have valet parking which makes arrival and departure a piece of cake. The brunch menu offers a good variety. They also have a lovely banquet space which I have been lucky enough to enjoy a few years back. The dining room is slightly tiered so if you do not have a window seat you still have a view. This past weekend a friend of over 20 years and I enjoyed reminiscing while gazing past the Willamette river, Ross Island, to the panoramic scene of the foothills and then on to see snow on Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Hood. I highly recommend dining at the Chart House. Never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I took my 84 yr old mom there for a special date. We split a Shrimp cocktail. Then she had a crab cake and I had the scallops. Both were delicious. She had a great view of the city which was a treat for her. The staff was cordial. The atmosphere inviting. All in all 2 thumbs up. My only complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High overhead, in every way!DougMDined on 11/15/2014If you're looking at value for the dollar, look at the unbeatable view, the attentive but unobtrusive service, the uncrowded table placement and the well-crafted cuisine -- but perhaps not for the rather parsimonious portions for the price. You're paying a lot, but for a lot more than the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ViewjdogDined on 11/15/2014The food plays second fiddle to the view, which is spectacular. Don't think any other restaurant in Portland can compete. Although it is a seafood restaurant, primarily, as reflected in the numerous seafood items on the menu, we opted for prime rib, which was excellent, and steak, which was well-prepared. The service was a little spotty, as we were promised items and refills that didn't show up in a timely manner. All in all, it is a great place to eat, especially if you want to impress someone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and viewMikeADined on 11/12/2014Only a couple other PDX area restaurants can boast a view as good as the Chart House. Great food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best scenic view and foodFrankDined on 11/9/2014Exceptional Food and Service. Our steaks were prepared to perfection."I love the relaxed feel of this place. Best view in town, complements to the chefSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GerryDined on 11/9/2014Always enjoy our dinners there and we especially appreciated the window seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseCitygirlVIPDined on 11/9/2014Very fine service; very good food; great views. Had not visited on several years and enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional viewswedishbakerDined on 11/7/2014The Chart House has an unparalleled view of the river and city lights. It's really stunning. The service is good and the menu has a nice variety of items.Special Features:
- Amazing Service, Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014The expense of Chart House is totally worth it! I can't choose the best aspect! The food? Delightful! The service? (Kevin) Amazing! The view? Beautiful. I can't wait to go back and gorge myself again! The lobster bisque alone is worth the evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chart houseDDrkVIPDined on 10/29/2014Dependably excellent every time whether for lunch or dinner, small intimate date or large fun group. We love going to the Chart house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable eveningJulieJVIPDined on 10/28/2014I made reservations for my husband's birthday. We had not been to CH for several years. We were at a window seat and had reservations for 6pm before it got dark, so it was nice to see the view and then the lights when it did get dark. The staff was wonderful and the food was excellent. Service and attentiveness was above expectations. We will be back!Special Features:
- All good except HostessStanleyDined on 10/28/2014Our experience started off poorly. We had a lunch reservation. Requested a booth facing out. When we arrived, the hostess was not friendly and then seated us in a side area not seated with any other folks, cold and although it was a booth facing out, it was not in the section with booths facing out in the main dining area. We have eaten here for years. We tried it, realized that unless they were really busy, it was odd. Another gal nicely reseated us in the main section, 3 empty booths ! Our waiter, the food, view were all 100 % ! They made up for the unfriendly hostess. Had it been our first visit we would never return or recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Only negative is how close the tables are. Makes atmosphere too noisy.Special Features:
- GreatCharthousefanDined on 10/25/2014Excellent service and food. Accommodation to requests and fresh foods. I love this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place that made me feel special.happymamaDined on 10/25/2014An experience worth the price. The whole family, ranging from 10 to adult were impressed. From the valet parking through the last bite of a meal prepared with care, we were made to feel like honored guests. The set up was great for conversation and view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectNightJCDined on 10/25/2014Chart House Restaurant is the perfect combination of art and taste. The food and presentation are fantastic. The view is spectacular, and was initially what brought us to the restaurant, but the excellent service and delicious food will keep us coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/21/2014It was our anniversary and the staff saved us a perfect table with a beautiful view. Wonderful service, delicious food! We will be back.Special Features:
- Not as good as usualjuju2Dined on 10/19/2014Appetizer was very good. Salad, soggy and tasted like it had set in dressing until all crispness was gone; Shrimp tasted OK but was overdone. Meal was not up to what we have come to expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousrosellicDined on 10/19/2014We took our special guests from Japan to the Chart House for Sunday brunch. It was the perfect place for an relaxing meal, with good food and service and a fantastic view.Special Features:
- food qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I have been to the Chart House many times over the years and this is the first time I was very disappointed in the food quality. The fish was over cooked and dry & my lobster was small and not very flavorful. If I am going to spend a $140.00 on a meal I expect it to be of top quality.Special Features:
- Great menuJohn500Dined on 10/18/2014Continues to update and add new items to the menu, great views and service.Special Features:
- Wow!HalstonDined on 10/18/2014My meal was so good, I felt like crying when the last bite was taken. Service was excellent as Anthony was right there to remove plates and see to our needs. View was great overlooking Portland. Attention to detail with personalize menus was awesome. This experience will be a huge memory and we determined to make our future anniversary celebrations at the Charthouse. Thanks to all the staff that made it great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night with the wifeAwalsh22Dined on 10/17/2014My wife and I were very impressed with all aspects of our dining experience. The views are stunning & the steak was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Greg was a very helpful and just attentive enough to meet our needs but not too interruptive. Our steaks were very tender and not over cooked. I would suggest a Burgundy or Balsamic reduction with the Blue Cheese on my Filet as opposed to the sweeter sautéed onions. Potatoes were perfect! Thank you for a wonderful evening! BarbaraSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never misses a beat!HappyDined on 10/16/2014As usual, the service was excellent (Connie is great), food absolutely delicious and the view is breathtaking. Love coming here!!Special Features:
- Love the CharthouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014I used to only go to the Charthouse for business lunches, etc. Now, my husband and I go at least a couple times a month. He loves your seafood, I love the steaks s, soups and salads. The waiters are exceptional, the atmosphere first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and great Paleo optionPaleofriendDined on 10/10/2014This is an old-time Portland favorite -- i.e. prom dates in June; grandma's birthday. That said, the beef is grass-fed, the seafood selection, excellent. They accommodated gluten free needs -- plantain chips vs bread in the beginning. Service is first rate and the view is AMAZING, the Willamette below, Mt. Hood on the horizon, and a full moon or stary skies above. Enjoy!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014We had a fabulous dinner at the Chart House. The food and view were wonderful! Very romantic!Special Features:
- Maryland BrotherMdBroDined on 10/10/2014We wanted to take my Wife's brother from Maryland to a place with a great view & food. We couldn't have done any better. The staff welcomed him warmly from the beginning. We were assigned a waiter who happened to have lived in Maryland also. The food was excellent, as was the service. By the way the view was wonderful but I don't think there is a table with a bad view in the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a top shelf experience!ShannonVIPDined on 10/9/2014If you're looking for delicious food, outstanding service and an amazing view, look no further. I enjoy the Chart House because I know it will always be a great experience and the servers are some of the best in the city!Special Features:
- Great Moon rise!TricksterDined on 10/7/2014The food, as always was fabulous. The view was stupendous. My companion and I had a wonderful window seat with a very dramatic view of Portland. And we were able to see the Super Moon rise. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Interesting experience, overall. We originally ordered an appetizer, a fish entre and a beef entre and they ended up being out of all of them. Our meal was complementary, which definitely helped with the overall experience, however it seems unprofessional for a high-end restaurant to run out of so many items. I was not very happy with the fish entre I ended up getting; the tuna.Special Features:
- Another Great Charhouse ExperienceDavidDined on 10/4/2014We celebrated my birthday at Charthouse this weekend. It was another great experience with a great menu and everyone more than impressed with their choices. From quick cocktail service to decanting the wine that we brought along to wonderful food and fabulous desert this was a truly enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Had higher expectationsRustyDined on 10/3/2014The view was gorgeous! We were sat next to the kitchen which was a little loud but didn't distract too much. It was the food that fell below what I had hoped for and maybe it was only my dish. We had the shrimp, artichoke and Brie appetizer which was amazing. I ordered the coconut crusted shrimp for my main dish and the batter was not great distracting from the shrimp. Along with that we had the risotto which was not very good. The lava cake was great! The waiter was great in the beginning when he was busy but then he became more absent. He passed us the three times and didn't take our plates which we were clearly done with. We ordered the desert with our order yet it took about 40 min to come out after he had taken our plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold SoupOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/30/2014Gazpacho soup was very well prepared. Tilapia fish was good, although as a fish it is not as tasty as others we have tried. Short ribs were served as shredded beef without fat or bone, considered very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- early night outformerfishermanDined on 9/30/2014We had a reservation for 5:30 pm, but overestimated traffic and showed up early. They were able to place us at 5 pm next to the window with great views of Portland and the Willamette River. We ate well and enjoyed very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.