Chart House Restaurant - Monterey
444 Cannery Row
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Monterey
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: 8313723362
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Robert Noce
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have semi-private areas of the restaurant that easily accommodate groups of 15 to 50. All areas of the restaurant have fabulous views of the Monterey Bay! Available during the day for parties of 50 to 140 guests until 4:00pm Sunday thru Friday & until 3:30pm Saturdays & Sundays. The restaurant is available with limited availability for complete buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Ellen Marconi 8313723362
- Cross Street: Drake Avenue
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have a small private lot (complimentary) across the street from the restaurant for our guests. In addition, there is on-street parking available (metered) at the cost of $1.00 per hour. After 8:00pm street parking is complimentary. Diagonally across from the restaurant (north) there is a public lot with fluctuating rates.
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Monterey
A longtime favorite on Cannery Row, Chart House offers panoramic views of Monterey Bay & the city lights beyond. Watch the abundant sea life while relaxing at your table. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 30 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From top-of-the-catch seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Miso Maple Glazed Salmon, Seared Mahi & our slow roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines & decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Chart House Restaurant - Monterey - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Chart House Restaurant - Monterey reviews from OpenTable diners
295 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (265)special occasion (214)romantic (176)fit for foodies (75)notable wine list (67)good for groups (49)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (29)great for lunch (23)great for brunch (22)kid-friendly (21)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (18)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- DsnakeDined on 8/31/2014Dinner war fabulous, and we got the best table in the houseSpecial Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I had the east meets west app, so delicious I'm craving more now. And for an entree I had the Tilapia, a little heavy but very delicious. I was very full. The service was very good, attentive but not overtly so. The view of course is beautiful.Special Features:
- Not up to standard....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014No fault in the service. Pleasant, prompt, and personable. The food, however, was another matter. Seared scallops that were limp, swimming in a butter-soy concoction that overpowered the delicate seafood. Atop wasabi mashed potatoes -- another killer flavor to any subtlety in the dish. Garnished by Asian green beans. Shriveled in appearance and with a disturbing taste and texture. It was explained to me that they were 'flash-fried'. Why not finish the job and just incinerate them? Ugh. I could barely eat the scallops and left the rest of this soup-mixture on the plate. A signature dish? Hardly up to the standards of The Chart House. Chose something - anything - else!Special Features:
- disappointediEATVIPDined on 8/30/2014stayed in Monterey for the weekend and came here based on reviews. Our waitress was definitely untrained and most likely the fault of management. Management should have trained her before letting her wait on the floor. She was very nice and apologetic and we knew she was trying her best. She didn't know the menu and could not describe what the menu items were when asked. When we ordered wine, she wasn't able to open the bottle. Someone else had to open the bottle for us. Food served came out poorly prepared. The filet was dry. Lobster did not seem seasoned and had a rubbery texture. Ambiance was great and the view of the ocean was beautiful.
- Wow!cflynnlVIPDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful dinner at Chart House. We are Landry club members and were seated right on the windows at sunset, beautiful! Blue Cheese Steak, Potato Crusted Sea Bass and Crab Stuffed Shrimp were all delicious. Definitely get their signature lava cake, that thing is crazy good. Two drawbacks...server got overwhelmed with a large table halfway thru dinner and we all but lost him. Plus, I am familiar with dining by candlelight, but here we had to dine by cell phone flashlights it was so dark. Requests to bring up the lights a bit were mocked by the floor manager.Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Great food, outstanding service, gorgeous view, best of everything, A++++++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but worth itLocalDudeDined on 8/30/2014As usual (we are many time repeat customers) CH comes through again. My guest, who is also a CH repeater, was more than satisfied with the salad bar, which he was looking forward to. My wife, a linguine aficionado, could not stop remarking how good her artichoke linguine was. And after salivating for several days in anticipation, the King Crab hit the spot; not over cooked and very succulent. While all the entrees were good, the Key Lime Pie was excellent. Smooth with just the right amount of tart and a melt in the mouth crumbled crust. Highly recommend the Chart House for a special night.Special Features:
- Great bay view. Parking was poor.DbigleaguerDined on 8/30/2014Make early reservations to get a table view. No no patron parking or ovale made it difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary. The special touch of our personalized menus and the mud pie was so special. The server was a very sweet young lady who was very attentive. Thanks so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quiet dinnerBB2014Dined on 8/28/2014Reservation made via web - worked well, including window table. View of wildlife in the bay was good as sun was setting. Food geenrous proportions and well cooked, keeping flavoursSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service not greatDK26Dined on 8/27/2014Food was amazing, and the views were stunning. I was very surprised with the poor service from our server. Long time between courses, only offered ridiculous excuses no apology for food taking so long. Then when asked for extra chocolate to go with the mud pie she never even came back! I had to ask someone clearing our plates to send the server back over for our check. When I asked what happened to the extra chocolate I got a very rude and inappropriate response, again no apology. A different server and I would have put 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisDined on 8/25/2014The food and the view were outstanding! Amy our waitress was terrific! She pointed out the sea otters and even a whale that was not too far away. She took very good care of us. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as we had expectedBonnVIPDined on 8/25/2014The food was good, but not nearly as good as we had expected or hoped. The halibut thermidor was a piece of halibut on a large pile of spinach with some lobster sauce poured over the top. The result was rather bland and not very interesting. My wife had peanut crusted tilapia. She ate the tilapia and left the peanut crust. Unfortunately, we were seated next to a large party that included a couple of ladies who laughed hysterically and loudly at almost everything said at the table. I assume that they were trying to impress their boss. We, on the other hand, were not impressed. To end on a positive note, the lobster bisque was very good with lots of lobster pieces in in it, the service was great, and the view of the bay was spectacular.Special Features:
- Service ?FoodiesDined on 8/24/2014We arrived for our 7:00 pm reservation on time and the hostess tells us "give us 10-15 minutes to set up. The party before you isn't finished eating". That makes no sense we had a reservation for 7:00 and we expected to be seated at 7:00 not 7:30. After we were seated it took them another 10 minutes to order our drinks and another 10 minutes to bring the drinks. Then another 10 minutes to order our food. So we are about 1 hr behind schedule so far when you include the wait for our reservation. The food was sub par. I ordered lobster and found it wasn't worth the 41$. My girlfriends steak was very good. After we got the check the waiter never returned to give us our change. When a party spends over 400$ we expect prompt friendly service.Special Features:
- Great stopHappyRVerDined on 8/24/2014My wife and I recently celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary, and part of that celebration was dinner at Chart House. Lawrence made it very easy to be comfortable and was pleasant to talk to. The food was excellent, and the view beyond compare. I would go there again for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Berry'sBayareafriendsDined on 8/23/2014We were welcomed to the chart house as we checked in with our reservation. We asked for a window sear if possible. We were told that would be possible if we could wait for 15 minutes. We said yes and took a seat. Shortly we were escorted to a beautiful table. The first server was very helpful and friendly. He let us know that he would just be getting us started and help us until our server was back from her dinner break. When she arrived to our table she welcomed us and identified herself and took care of us for the remainder of our visit. Our dinner was excellent. The view was beautiful. Even though the restaurant was very busy we were well taken care of.Special Features:
- monterey mustvickiDined on 8/22/2014the Chart House is one of our favorite reasons for going to Monterey -- and definitely is part of our trip's traditions. The salad bar continues to be scrumptious and other menu items delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014friendly faces,outstanding service specially the food is awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBest4agesDined on 8/20/2014Truly delicous and memorable, all the food was superb and the dishes showed thought and imagination. Good special diet requirements attention and good looking cildrens menu. Not as many others in Jacket and tie as I expected but ambience was Ok. Beatiful view of the bay.Special Features:
- MaggieDined on 8/20/2014Service was great, view was beautiful as always. A small glitch in our order(due to change in waiter delivering food and waiter handling our table) and the manager made it right. Very attentive to great customer service. We love this restaurant. Friendly welcome from entrance to waiters. Truly felt my business was appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute MustFMingsDined on 8/19/2014Beautiful, quiet and the food is absolutely delicious! Fantastic service! Even if all you need is the perfect dessert this is the place to go. Order your Lava Cake when you get there because they make it when you order it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedWolfpeople2Dined on 8/18/2014Usually enjoy this Chart House. Understood from August email they were featuring a few shrimp dishes. Chose to dine specifically at this Chart House on a vacation trip to Monterey this August to partake of the featured promotion. Disappointed to find items were no longer available - four days after receiving promotional email! The items we finally ordered were quite good, as usual, and the view - a table facing the Bay - was breathtaking as always. However, can't let go of the fact I was "invited" to enjoy a special promotion, and - in less than a week's time - it was no longer being served!Special Features:
- Great meal with friends!MissyLynnDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I chose to eat at the Chart House to reunite with dear friends after moving away 3 years ago. The view was amazing (we had a window table) and the server, Jordan, took very good care of us all evening! The food was unbelievable!! One of our friends had never been to the Chart House before, and he is now hooked! We cannot wait to come back to Monterey to visit and dine here again!Special Features:
- Always Great Food & ViewBudMVIPDined on 8/17/2014We have been coming here for years and are never disappointed. Great variety, nice service, beautiful views. It's all good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Controlled chaosJhuffDined on 8/16/2014We arrived on time, were asked twice if we had a reservation then were told there were 3 parties ahead of us. While waiting a party also waiting said they too had that same time but had arrayed earlier. We were seated before them! The noise was high and wait staff seemed polite but rushed. Wait time for cocktails was about 20min. with appetizers coming ahead by 5min. In spite if being ordered after. Our wine arrived about 10 min after that then 15min later our waiter announced it was his break time and introduced his replacement, but I observed him at other tables for the next 10min or so. Our main courses were delivered then he came to check 5min after. Not sure he got his break. Cioppino was ok, crab too soft to crack so messy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experiencege53Dined on 8/16/2014This is still one of the most beautiful places to eat. The service is great and the food is outstanding. My favorite was the peanut sauce with the halibut. I think it helps to be a Landry's member. You get little special touches like personalized menus. It is a must-stop in the Monterey area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't have been betterFishFoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014We loved everything! The view from our table as the sun went down was great - and the food was delicious, especially the tilapia I had. But best of all were both desserts - we ordered and love mud-pie but we also tried a bite of our friend's lava cake. OMG - that is amazing - but we'll probably still get mud-pie again next time because you make the best mud-pie in the world and we always pick desserts with coffee and chocolate.Special Features:
- ValentinevalentineDined on 8/16/2014We had to wait for a table even though we had reservations. Every one was nice and attentive and the waiter ask if we would like a drink while waiting for our table. The food was excellent and the view was so beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch serviceBuffaloLaurenVIPDined on 8/16/2014The view on the water matched with great food and fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Car Show WeekGinnyDined on 8/15/2014Our waitress was so nice and our dinner was excellent. Alcoholic beverage was weak in the pour of the alcohol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High class/ Great gluten free menuThorDined on 8/15/2014This is a VERY GOOD restaurant. It is not outstanding, and I don't think they have ambitions above current level. Early Friday morning we booked a table for five persons at 5 pm. We got a great table; a round corner table "hanging over the ocean" in the far end of the restaurant. This is an upper scale restaurant and menu/ price reflects that. They have a great gluten free menu and are very flexible concerning any individual adjustments. The view is fantastic, we saw otters, seals, dolphins and even a small whale from our table during dinner. Kids were exited. Our waitress was tentative, professional and personal. Being a bit pricey, for us this is a restaurant for the special occasions and a great place to bring visitors to Monterey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, scenic, and satisfyingBusinessCasualDined on 8/13/2014We chose the chart house to dine on the evening of a busy day during Monterrey Car Week. Unlike all the events, it was pleasantly quiet, gave us a nice view of the bay, and offered very good seafood. A relaxing respite. This is clearly a special occasion place - they asked if this were a special event for us, and others around us seemed to be celebrating their own events. It's not inexpensive, but a nice find in amid a busy touristic event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning food and locationKitkatDined on 8/12/2014If you want to propose, this is the place! Great sunset views, with delicious food, the macadamia crusted mahi mahi was a revelation. Interesting cocktails won't a twist, all round excellence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinner/vacationfoodieDined on 8/12/2014We were staying at the Monterey Bay Plaza Hotel which was right next door to the restaurant. Had an ok view. Mostly we looked at the side of the hotel. Would have liked to been out on the center edge better. Ambiance was great. Linen tablecloths. Service was a bit slow and I felt we had been forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great choiceMidwest19Dined on 8/12/2014Three of us dined at the Chart House in Monterrey and the whole experience was wonderful. We are here for all the car auctions, shows and vintage racing-- we were not rushed, food was excellent and staff couldn't have been more friendly, professional and helpful with local suggestions etc.Special Features:
- scenic view and a great meallongbeachbobDined on 8/11/2014We had an outstanding meal with an absolutely amazing view of the Monterey bay while enjoying our time. The service was exceptionalSpecial Features:
- larrylikeDined on 8/10/2014We had a very pleasant evening dinner date and really enjoyed the atmosphere,we will definitely return when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014We just had a wonderful dinner at the Chart House! The waitstaff is attentive, the food was wonderful and their Salad Bar had so many items to choose from. We had a lovely window seat overlooking Monterey Bay. I would highly recommend this restaurant for anyone wanting an excellent meal and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but bad service .....,,,,Nt2happyDined on 8/10/2014The view was great. , food was good , very romantic but got poor service and felt over looked by waiter and staff ... To expensive not to have excellent servous !! Will NOT return !Special Features:
- Not HappyVerdiVIPDined on 8/9/2014We are long time diners at this restaurant and I had out of town family visiting with a child who was really looking forward to seeing otters out of the windows. I requested a day early on open table when I made a reservation. We arrived early as I know its hard to promise a table when you are late. They showed me to a table in the back by the wall in the dark! I refused it, we ended up in a table next to another table but not by the window. We spend a lot of money at this restaurant and bring friends and family here often for the food and the views. The server told us, the windows were first come, first serve, then WHY HAVE A SPECIAL REQUEST BOX ON OPEN TABLE???? THEN YOU IGNORE IT! Not happy with the attitude at this restaurant anymore.Special Features: