Chart House Restaurant - Monterey
444 Cannery Row
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Monterey
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: 8313723362
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Robert Noce
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have semi-private areas of the restaurant that easily accommodate groups of 15 to 50. All areas of the restaurant have fabulous views of the Monterey Bay! Available during the day for parties of 50 to 140 guests until 4:00pm Sunday thru Friday & until 3:30pm Saturdays & Sundays. The restaurant is available with limited availability for complete buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Ellen Marconi 8313723362
- Cross Street: Drake Avenue
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have a small private lot (complimentary) across the street from the restaurant for our guests. In addition, there is on-street parking available (metered) at the cost of $1.00 per hour. After 8:00pm street parking is complimentary. Diagonally across from the restaurant (north) there is a public lot with fluctuating rates.
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Monterey
A longtime favorite on Cannery Row, Chart House offers panoramic views of Monterey Bay & the city lights beyond. Watch the abundant sea life while relaxing at your table. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 30 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From top-of-the-catch seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Miso Maple Glazed Salmon, Seared Mahi & our slow roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines & decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Chart House Restaurant - Monterey - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Chart House Restaurant - Monterey reviews from OpenTable diners
297 reviews since May 17, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (267)special occasion (214)romantic (182)fit for foodies (75)notable wine list (73)good for groups (49)neighborhood gem (37)hot spot (34)great for lunch (24)great for brunch (22)vibrant bar scene (21)kid-friendly (21)late-night find (20)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Great restaurant with a beautiful interior. Our hors d'oeuvres came quickly and they were great. Then we waited 40+ min for our main dishes. They were barely worm. So not so good. you may need to manage the slow service. Staff friendly etc....Special Features:
- A Must when in Montereyhard2pleaseDined on 9/8/2014From reception, to coctails at the bar, to seating by the Monterey Bay window table, the ChartHouse is a must stop, when in Monterey.Special Features:
- Pretty Good but should be flawle$$BringmethegoodwineVIPDined on 9/7/2014one terrific meal and one mediocre. Grilled sea bass was a thin dry and tasteless piece of fish. I have never seen such a thin sea bass filet! The waiter had been attentive all evening but ignored the 2/3 left on the plate and didn't ask how dinner was. Fail.Special Features:
- Great FoodKTSFDined on 9/6/2014The food was to die for! We had the artichoke to start and we shared the filet and the seared ahi. The sauce with the ahi was amazing! The staff was very nice and our cocktails were delicious. I would highly recommend going here!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014I was completely surprised (in a great way) how the restaurant went above and beyond my expectations for my mom's birthday dinner!! They made special menus for us and gave her a dessert (the mud pie) with a candle!! I've never had a restaurant treat me and my family this way before and I will certainly recommend the restaurant to all of my family and friends for when they are visiting Monterey! We've been there before just have dinner but I will defintely go back for any and all birthdays in my family and friends in the future!!Special Features:
- perfect night outmrm69Dined on 9/5/2014Very good food & great view. Service was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Poor Customer ServiceTorontoGalDined on 9/4/2014Dined here on Thursday September 4th, was a very special occasion as my boyfriend and I were visiting from Toronto, Canada and got engaged before dinner. Although the view was magnificent that was about all.. Found a bone in my mashed potatoes (with steak) and the managers only comment was how did that get there? (hmmm not quite sure I didn't make it)... Offered dessert however after finding the bone in my mouth I wasn't very hungry. I've worked in this industry for over 10 years and have never heard of someone finding something in their food and not being comped that meal (I barely ate half of if before giving it back)... Super disappointed and was hoping for way more based on the reviewsSpecial Features:
- Always a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Food is generally very good. Our sevice was not exceptional but still good.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening55ProStreetDined on 9/3/2014We have dined at the Chart House many times, but this time it was extra special. The VIP treatment as a Landry Card holder was special.Special Features:
- GoodEveningwallbangerDined on 9/2/2014What a very nice night, good view, good food, great drinks, and the. Salad bar knocked it out of the park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular view and tasty mealdatenightDined on 8/31/2014Chart House is a dining experience that is worth it just for the view alone. The good thing is that the food does not disappoint! We went with friends and enjoyed a variety of fish options, but if you don't like fish, they do serve steak and pasta dishes too. The wine list had a variety to choose from. Since we were in Monterey County, I would suggest a wine from a local vintner to get a sense of the local style.Special Features:
- Not what it once wasJDbartenderDined on 8/31/2014I used to absolutely love chart house! It was one of my families favorite restaurants. Lately though service has slipped and food quality isn't what it once was. Still try it for your self. The views are the best in Monterey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great eats and viewTopfeasterDined on 8/31/2014Love this place. Good service, great food and best views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DsnakeDined on 8/31/2014Dinner war fabulous, and we got the best table in the houseSpecial Features:
- Amazing foodNikkiDined on 8/31/2014I had the east meets west app, so delicious I'm craving more now. And for an entree I had the Tilapia, a little heavy but very delicious. I was very full. The service was very good, attentive but not overtly so. The view of course is beautiful.Special Features:
- Not up to standard....carbcat0Dined on 8/31/2014No fault in the service. Pleasant, prompt, and personable. The food, however, was another matter. Seared scallops that were limp, swimming in a butter-soy concoction that overpowered the delicate seafood. Atop wasabi mashed potatoes -- another killer flavor to any subtlety in the dish. Garnished by Asian green beans. Shriveled in appearance and with a disturbing taste and texture. It was explained to me that they were 'flash-fried'. Why not finish the job and just incinerate them? Ugh. I could barely eat the scallops and left the rest of this soup-mixture on the plate. A signature dish? Hardly up to the standards of The Chart House. Chose something - anything - else!Special Features:
- disappointediEATVIPDined on 8/30/2014stayed in Monterey for the weekend and came here based on reviews. Our waitress was definitely untrained and most likely the fault of management. Management should have trained her before letting her wait on the floor. She was very nice and apologetic and we knew she was trying her best. She didn't know the menu and could not describe what the menu items were when asked. When we ordered wine, she wasn't able to open the bottle. Someone else had to open the bottle for us. Food served came out poorly prepared. The filet was dry. Lobster did not seem seasoned and had a rubbery texture. Ambiance was great and the view of the ocean was beautiful.
- Consider Carefully!Line6Dined on 8/30/2014There are no facilities to partision off large parties hence not a good ambiance for those who want a dinning experience where you can converse without having to shout....!!!!!!Special Features:
- Wow!cflynnlVIPDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful dinner at Chart House. We are Landry club members and were seated right on the windows at sunset, beautiful! Blue Cheese Steak, Potato Crusted Sea Bass and Crab Stuffed Shrimp were all delicious. Definitely get their signature lava cake, that thing is crazy good. Two drawbacks...server got overwhelmed with a large table halfway thru dinner and we all but lost him. Plus, I am familiar with dining by candlelight, but here we had to dine by cell phone flashlights it was so dark. Requests to bring up the lights a bit were mocked by the floor manager.Special Features:
- FabulousJan13Dined on 8/30/2014Great food, outstanding service, gorgeous view, best of everything, A++++++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but worth itLocalDudeDined on 8/30/2014As usual (we are many time repeat customers) CH comes through again. My guest, who is also a CH repeater, was more than satisfied with the salad bar, which he was looking forward to. My wife, a linguine aficionado, could not stop remarking how good her artichoke linguine was. And after salivating for several days in anticipation, the King Crab hit the spot; not over cooked and very succulent. While all the entrees were good, the Key Lime Pie was excellent. Smooth with just the right amount of tart and a melt in the mouth crumbled crust. Highly recommend the Chart House for a special night.Special Features:
- Great bay view. Parking was poor.DbigleaguerDined on 8/30/2014Make early reservations to get a table view. No no patron parking or ovale made it difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary. The special touch of our personalized menus and the mud pie was so special. The server was a very sweet young lady who was very attentive. Thanks so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful View very RomanticRicnKumiDined on 8/28/2014We had dinner here for our anniversary and they had prepared a personalized menu for us with congratulations and our names printed. This was a very nice and personal touch. The food was excellent and the service was as well. Would definitely dine here again. My husband had the Scallops and they were phenomenal. The Lava Cake was also worth the wait.Special Features:
- A quiet dinnerBB2014Dined on 8/28/2014Reservation made via web - worked well, including window table. View of wildlife in the bay was good as sun was setting. Food geenrous proportions and well cooked, keeping flavoursSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service not greatDK26Dined on 8/27/2014Food was amazing, and the views were stunning. I was very surprised with the poor service from our server. Long time between courses, only offered ridiculous excuses no apology for food taking so long. Then when asked for extra chocolate to go with the mud pie she never even came back! I had to ask someone clearing our plates to send the server back over for our check. When I asked what happened to the extra chocolate I got a very rude and inappropriate response, again no apology. A different server and I would have put 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisDined on 8/25/2014The food and the view were outstanding! Amy our waitress was terrific! She pointed out the sea otters and even a whale that was not too far away. She took very good care of us. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as we had expectedBonnVIPDined on 8/25/2014The food was good, but not nearly as good as we had expected or hoped. The halibut thermidor was a piece of halibut on a large pile of spinach with some lobster sauce poured over the top. The result was rather bland and not very interesting. My wife had peanut crusted tilapia. She ate the tilapia and left the peanut crust. Unfortunately, we were seated next to a large party that included a couple of ladies who laughed hysterically and loudly at almost everything said at the table. I assume that they were trying to impress their boss. We, on the other hand, were not impressed. To end on a positive note, the lobster bisque was very good with lots of lobster pieces in in it, the service was great, and the view of the bay was spectacular.Special Features:
- Service ?FoodiesDined on 8/24/2014We arrived for our 7:00 pm reservation on time and the hostess tells us "give us 10-15 minutes to set up. The party before you isn't finished eating". That makes no sense we had a reservation for 7:00 and we expected to be seated at 7:00 not 7:30. After we were seated it took them another 10 minutes to order our drinks and another 10 minutes to bring the drinks. Then another 10 minutes to order our food. So we are about 1 hr behind schedule so far when you include the wait for our reservation. The food was sub par. I ordered lobster and found it wasn't worth the 41$. My girlfriends steak was very good. After we got the check the waiter never returned to give us our change. When a party spends over 400$ we expect prompt friendly service.Special Features:
- Great stopHappyRVerDined on 8/24/2014My wife and I recently celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary, and part of that celebration was dinner at Chart House. Lawrence made it very easy to be comfortable and was pleasant to talk to. The food was excellent, and the view beyond compare. I would go there again for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Berry'sBayareafriendsDined on 8/23/2014We were welcomed to the chart house as we checked in with our reservation. We asked for a window sear if possible. We were told that would be possible if we could wait for 15 minutes. We said yes and took a seat. Shortly we were escorted to a beautiful table. The first server was very helpful and friendly. He let us know that he would just be getting us started and help us until our server was back from her dinner break. When she arrived to our table she welcomed us and identified herself and took care of us for the remainder of our visit. Our dinner was excellent. The view was beautiful. Even though the restaurant was very busy we were well taken care of.Special Features:
- monterey mustvickiDined on 8/22/2014the Chart House is one of our favorite reasons for going to Monterey -- and definitely is part of our trip's traditions. The salad bar continues to be scrumptious and other menu items delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014friendly faces,outstanding service specially the food is awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBest4agesDined on 8/20/2014Truly delicous and memorable, all the food was superb and the dishes showed thought and imagination. Good special diet requirements attention and good looking cildrens menu. Not as many others in Jacket and tie as I expected but ambience was Ok. Beatiful view of the bay.Special Features:
- MaggieDined on 8/20/2014Service was great, view was beautiful as always. A small glitch in our order(due to change in waiter delivering food and waiter handling our table) and the manager made it right. Very attentive to great customer service. We love this restaurant. Friendly welcome from entrance to waiters. Truly felt my business was appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute MustFMingsDined on 8/19/2014Beautiful, quiet and the food is absolutely delicious! Fantastic service! Even if all you need is the perfect dessert this is the place to go. Order your Lava Cake when you get there because they make it when you order it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedWolfpeople2Dined on 8/18/2014Usually enjoy this Chart House. Understood from August email they were featuring a few shrimp dishes. Chose to dine specifically at this Chart House on a vacation trip to Monterey this August to partake of the featured promotion. Disappointed to find items were no longer available - four days after receiving promotional email! The items we finally ordered were quite good, as usual, and the view - a table facing the Bay - was breathtaking as always. However, can't let go of the fact I was "invited" to enjoy a special promotion, and - in less than a week's time - it was no longer being served!Special Features:
- Great meal with friends!MissyLynnDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I chose to eat at the Chart House to reunite with dear friends after moving away 3 years ago. The view was amazing (we had a window table) and the server, Jordan, took very good care of us all evening! The food was unbelievable!! One of our friends had never been to the Chart House before, and he is now hooked! We cannot wait to come back to Monterey to visit and dine here again!Special Features:
- Always Great Food & ViewBudMVIPDined on 8/17/2014We have been coming here for years and are never disappointed. Great variety, nice service, beautiful views. It's all good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Controlled chaosJhuffDined on 8/16/2014We arrived on time, were asked twice if we had a reservation then were told there were 3 parties ahead of us. While waiting a party also waiting said they too had that same time but had arrayed earlier. We were seated before them! The noise was high and wait staff seemed polite but rushed. Wait time for cocktails was about 20min. with appetizers coming ahead by 5min. In spite if being ordered after. Our wine arrived about 10 min after that then 15min later our waiter announced it was his break time and introduced his replacement, but I observed him at other tables for the next 10min or so. Our main courses were delivered then he came to check 5min after. Not sure he got his break. Cioppino was ok, crab too soft to crack so messy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.