Chart House Restaurant - Hilton Head
Two Hudsons Road
Hilton Head Island, SC 29926Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Hilton Head
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: 8433429066x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11am-3pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 3pm-9:30pm, Friday & Saturday 3pm-10pm. Sunday Brunch: 11am - 3pm; Happy Hour: Every Day: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Eric Seaglund
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Chart House Hilton Head can accommodate any catering needs for party's up to 100 guests.
- Entertainment: Live entertainment on our outdoor patio on Wednesday's from 6:00pm-9:00pm. Please call for up to date seasonal details.
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Hilton Head
Located on beautiful Hilton Head Island, Chart House overlooks picturesque Skull Creek. Combine the extraordinary setting with outstanding cuisine & it’s not hard to see why this restaurant is a local favorite. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 28 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From seafood specialties to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Pan Seared Scallops, Macadamia Crusted Mahi & our Slow-roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, Lowcountry options, an extensive wine list & decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chart House Restaurant - Hilton Head - Best Restaurants in Hilton Head ›
Chart House Restaurant - Hilton Head reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (132)great for outdoor dining (114)special occasion (91)romantic (67)good for groups (41)fit for foodies (40)great for lunch (31)notable wine list (25)great for brunch (19)neighborhood gem (18)kid-friendly (17)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (6)late-night find (2)Show More
- ConventionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Friendly staff. Had drinks at bar before dinner. Sandy was attentive and prompt. The bathroom was not very clean and was not attended to after I asked the manager to check it out. He seemed to not care. Steak was cooked to temperature. Alaskan king crabs were not "steamed to perfection". They were just warm. By the time we were asked how is your dinner it was too late to complain. The manager never came by to ask about our dinner and they were not very budySpecial Features:
- FoodiePatootieDined on 8/23/2014Fabulous food, superior service, lovely view and great ambience. Only disappointment was the oysters were not shucked well, there were shards of shell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovsoufflesDined on 8/21/2014Food outstanding. Dessert soufflé excellent. Service weak our night: long wait for entrees, with wine & bread showing up only just before entrees & dessert soufflés ready before we finished entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy and classic HHI viewWeKenDineInStyleDined on 8/18/2014Best view on the island of Skull Creek. For a romantic sunset view and the best food outside of a major city, Chart House has always impressed me and my guests. It refuses to disappoint. Elegance and comfort without being snooty has been my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good meal.c3gramDined on 8/17/2014Chart House Hilton Head is consistently fine. This was a lunch visit and the restaurant was serene with service inside and out. The creek view provides a nice background to a well- presented lovely meal. Seafood is the specialty and is fresh and tasty. Don't miss the shrimp and fritters and the lava cake!Special Features:
- Really badwtlacyDined on 8/14/2014My friend and I were going to the neighboring joint, Hudson's, but the wait was over 2 hours so we decided to hit the Chart House. We ate at the bar and while the service was fine, the food was really bad. We both had the Snapper Hemingway at the bartender's suggestion and it was gross. The breading was too thick and the fish was very dry. It tasted like it was made somewhere else, frozen, and then fried up. I'll never go back because if there is one thing I hate it is a seafood place on an island or at the beach that screws up seafood.
- Food not worth the priceBRS1Dined on 8/14/2014Clam chowder and She Crab soup excellent. Everything else was mediocre.Server was not attentive. Side were not correct on meal and new sides arrived after we finished. Great view but not a great experience otherwise.
- Over RatedWeeatoutalotDined on 8/9/2014We recently dined at Chart House. Nice view. The food was ok. I should add the chowder was one of the best I have had. But the service was very poor. A not inexpensive restaurant so I expect a professional waiter or waitress. However, instead we had a young kid who was clueless on waiting and what the restaurant had to offer.Special Features:
- Good view, if ........TableforSixDined on 8/8/2014We usually visit The Chart House several times each summer while we're at Hilton Head. The food is always good. Service usually is as well, but not so much this year. Long waits between courses. Had to ask for bread, which in years past was never the case. Biggest complaint - even though we always make reservations beforehand, we never get a table anywhere near the ones with prime views. In fact, this year we were tucked up in a back corner with a very large family gathering whose many kids were completely out of control. Loud and unruly, running around and disruptive to pretty much everyone else in the area. Not so much a fan this year. Doubt that we'll make a return visit . . . .Special Features:
- FabulousBetsyDined on 8/8/2014Evening was perfect, food terrific, service perfection. Great choice for our last night in Hilton Head.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphere.MaryKLDawgDined on 8/8/2014We took our 2 kids - 10 and 8 to dinner at Chart House during our vacation and it was amazing. The food was delicious and even though the atmosphere was a bit "fancy" the restaurant was very kid friendly. I recommend for great seafood for a special occasion. The prices were a little on the high end ($8 for a bowl of soup- no option for a smaller, cup size) but it was totally worth it. We will go back next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venue AND foodPittsburghfoodieVIPDined on 8/6/2014We were there at Happy Hour. They had great wines and food selections for happy hour. fish tacos and fried green tomatoes. On the appetizer menu, my fav was Shrimp, Artichoke,bacon and brie dip. Wish they would email the recipe.Special Features:
- Wondeerful Server and menuSwampfoxDined on 8/2/2014Our Server was excellent. We had requested a table by window and they honored. We had not had that at other HH restaraunts. Wide selection, especially if you like fish and shell fish. They even had oysters rockerfellow.The she crab soup was different. We like it creamy. It did had a scoop of crab which was great. Would return on next visit to HH.Special Features:
- A different Chart HouseHWT3VIPDined on 8/2/2014I you are used to a large Chart House salad bar, this is different. No salad bar, but great food and beautiful sunsets over Skull Creek on Hilton Head Island, SC. Come and enjoy.Special Features:
- We loved our dining experience!CarolRutgersDined on 7/30/2014We celebrated ouranniversary at Charthouse. I had a chopped salad which was very fresh and my husband had the trio of soups. He liked the NE clam chowder the best. I enjoyed the blackened salmon with fingering potatoes. He had shrimp over linguine which he LOVED. We splurged and split the peach raspberry cobbler with. Ice cream which was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014Terrible food but a beautiful view. The best part about my meal were the cocktails! Martini's were good but the wine by the glass was terrible! Don't waist the money.Special Features:
- Good choice!Leeman72Dined on 7/29/2014Enjoyed everything here and our waiter Wayne was great....helpful and knowledgeable........all of us chose different dishes and shared..........all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceNonaDined on 7/29/2014We had a party of 7, including two children. We were greeted warmly, were seated immediately at a table with a nice view. Our waiter was excellent. He arranged for a grilled cheese for the five year old, even though it was not on the kid's menu. We had appetizers, entrees and dessert. The oysters , dip, and springs rolls were all good. Three in our party loved the grouper entree, two of us ordered crab cakes which were okay. Oh, and the she crab soup is the best I have had on the island! Also love that you can make reservationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with familyORdinnerVIPDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I had been to the chart house many times as we have been vacationing on HHI for the past 22 years. This year we invited the immediate family down for the week We had a party of 10 ,7 adults and 3 children.It was their last night in Hilton head before returning to NYC and wanted to have a good dining experience in a scenic restaurant. We started being seated outside,our request, but just before the appetizers arrived the heavens opened up and rained for the next 4 hours. Our server Sarah was magnificent getting us reseated in the main dining room . Everyone enjoyed their meals from steak to lobster , appetizers were excellent the best crab cake.Thanks for the dining experience. Wife and I are here for another week see you againSpecial Features:
- don't order beef!valuedinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014Although the fish the rest of our party ordered was great, my filet mignon was the worst I've had on ages - hardly worthy of such a high priced restaurant. I think better quality meat should be served at this price point - without gristle!Special Features:
- Good experienceMarkVIPDined on 7/23/2014Scenery and food were very good. Wait staff attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spend your hard earned $ elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014We were seated by a door leading to the outside - constant through fare. Waiter was trying to serve way too many tables with no bus boy. Food was good but for the lack of service - we finally stacked our own dishes to make room on the table - was not worth the price tag at all.
- A must in Hilton HeadClemmanDined on 7/21/2014This is the best restaurant in Hilton Head! The scallops were outstanding. Everyone in our party ordered something different and all were impressed. Service is second to none.Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014The Chart House did a stellar job of seating us, timely attending to and serving us, and our meals were unusually good. I "almost" listened to some of the negative reviews and if I had, we would have missed the finest evening of our ten night vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience!LibbyandMikeDined on 7/18/2014The food was great, the service was superb, and atmosphere was relaxing. Our server was the very best, and managers came over to check on us, as well. We felt like VIPs! We asked for and received water view seating, the best table in the house! The soup trio was yummy, especially with the delicious complimentary bread. We had coconut shrimp and shrimp and grits, both excellent! We will be back on our next HHI visit!Special Features:
- Bay viewmartigDined on 7/18/2014When I pay 25-30 per entree (that doesn't include a salad) I expect one of the best restaurant meals available. Chart House comes pretty close to meeting my expectations. It took the waiting staff 3 reminders to have lemon brought to the table, but overall the service and, especially, the ambiance, was excellent. I have had better fish entrees (K-Pauls in New Orleans comes to mind) but I give it 4 of 5 stars for food overall. I also had the chopped house salad and Key Lime pie which were excellent. As an added bonus, there was a wonderful guitarist on the back patio playing appropriate dinner music. All in all a nice experience...if a bit pricey.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014The Chart House, formerly Charlie's Crab, on Hilton Head transitioned perfectly upon it's purchase by the Landry's chain, however, several years later, their menu and subsequently their food is boring and lackluster. Gone are the days of exciting specials that would make your mouth water. Now, all of their "specials" are listed on the "summer menu"; the same food available night after night, without any chef's creativity. Fresh fish prepared grilled, blackened, or in herb butter...big deal. I opted for the Peach Glazed Mahi (or something like that) which was okay, not at all worth the $26 for the entree. As always, the She-Crab Soup and Martha's Vineyard Salad scored big time with me. The experience wasn't worth $150 for soup & salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow, bad service, lots of excusesRealdealdinerDined on 7/17/2014On time with reservations, good there. Food was good. Service was very bad. Food took forever and was wrong or missing something on every course. Excuses after excuse. Sitting at the table I read the online reviews and wish I would have done so beforehand! Tons of complaints about poor service and they were correct. This many complaints and problems is a clear management problem. Poor training and low expectations. Hugos, Marleys, Oyster Factory, Santa Fe, Salty Dog.....all much better choices.
- WallyVIPDined on 7/16/2014I had the local fish that was over cooked. Person I was with enjoy their food very well. We have eaten many times and the food is usually very good. It was the busiest I have seen this resturuant so that could have contributed to our experience. The service is usaually exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such potentialBandit29VIPDined on 7/16/2014Wednesday evening special dinner was the plan. Wonderful setting and spacious but shares parking with Hudson Seafood so parking at least 200 yards away. Bread amazing but server was pathetic. After waiting post appetizers for entrée more than 15 minutes he stopped back and inquired if we wanted desert before he brought us our check!!! After reminding him we were still waiting for our entrées...when they arrived (award winning seafood boil) we were faced with 3 shrimp...6 mussels and a piece of overcooked red fish). This restaurant could do so much better.Special Features:
- Nice treatPamperedDined on 7/16/2014Was a nice treat. Great food and excellent view. Sunset was exquisite.Special Features:
- Great food and viewKchampDined on 7/16/2014Overall an excellent experience food was great especially their bread and tuna appetizer! Bartender was friendly and really knowledgable for after dinner drinks. Great view of sunset and docks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OustandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Husband took me there for my 50th birthday. The food was delicious!Special Features:
- Go Here and Be DisappointedDennisSVIPDined on 7/15/2014I called to confirm and request a special table and requested a special desert for the anniversary couple. Our server was new and not knowledgeable of the menu or procedures for ordering. The appetizer was served promptly with drinks. However we then waited for almost an hour before our dinner was served. Our server apologized again and again for the poor service and said there was a new temporary chef as the normal chef was on vacation. The manager apologized too and said he could not even offer any compensation for the poor service. He also indicated there was a party of 52 people that was taking up the restaurant's resources. Of course, there was no recognition of the anniversary celebration or any special desert as requested.
- LetsEatDined on 7/15/2014Our 2nd visit. Rained both times. Seating inside was great but hope to sit outside and enjoy the view next visit. Food and service are reasons to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chart House ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2014The view from the Chart House is fantastic!!! Had a wonderful time there and will go back.Special Features:
- SLOWnormaldinerDined on 7/14/2014We always visit the Chart House when we're in Hilton Head and have always had great food and service. This time we waited an hour for our food to arrive. The restaurant wasn't even full! Even had to ask the manager what was going on. Don't know if we'll be back.Special Features:
- Not worth $$OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2014We eat at this chart house several times a year being locals. I have eaten other chart houses and this one is not great. First the manager is extremely unfriendly and curt. We were celebrating the wedding of a young couple in our group and asked for an ocean view table that we reserved 4 days earlier not only did we not receive that table there is also no mention of any sort omade to the couple that we are celebrating with. The waiter was gruff and possessed 0 charm or finesse. The food was fair to good but failed to keep our drinks filled or even bring bread to our table. Very disappointing , will not be returning to this HHI Chart House
- Will go backJJFAVIPDined on 7/12/2014This was our third visit to the Chart House (one for lunch and two dinners). The food was very good all three times. The outdoor table scenery is spectacular....with the view of the Skull Creek, the marina and a nearby large tree with two lg. blue herons perched in it, providing the backdrop. The food and drink were almost an afterthought. However, while the steak was good, if you want it medium (like nearly every restaurant), order it medium rare. The wine servings by the glass are also a bit skinny (6-7 oz.), and carefully measured out. No generous servings here. However, overall, knowing the above, we would come back for a try at the remaining ample menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't beat the viewsEnergymanDined on 7/8/2014We have been coming to Hilton Head for over 20 years. Ironically, there are only a handfull of good restaurants with nice water views. The Chart House restaurant has beautiful views of Skull Creek, several boating docks and wild life. The food is very good and the service is also good. Plus, it is a nice treat to walk around the boat docks after a big meal. I will definitely be back on our next visit to Hilton Head.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.