Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point
34442 Street of the Green Lantern
Dana Point, CA 92629Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: 9494931183x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 4:30pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef:
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point
From amazing views of the Pacific Ocean & Dana Point Harbor to unparalleled cuisine, Chart House is a feast for the eyes as well as the palate. Savor a seamless blend of fine seafood & steaks, while you enjoy the elegant atmosphere & impeccable service. With 28 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From signature fish specialties and seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, Miso Glazed Salmon & our slow-roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines and our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Don't miss out on our exceptional Happy Hour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point - Best Restaurants in Dana Point ›
Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point reviews from OpenTable diners
253 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (213)special occasion (151)romantic (124)great for outdoor dining (80)good for groups (45)neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (38)notable wine list (34)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (16)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (10)hot spot (10)Show More
- GrumblingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014I have eaten at ALL Charthouses in So Cal. This location is the balm. Service was exceptional, food was lousy. For the amount of money I paid, I was astonished that the food was not warm and not as good as I have found in Charthouses in other locations. Sorry, but have written this location off as a destination. Will continue to use the Marina location as home base.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Worst prime rib I have ever been served. it was like cutting a shoe. Service was horrible. Three hours for dinner, and very little attention.Special Features:
- Ruined our romantic anniversary.CarmensluvvickysDined on 8/27/2014Our waiter Chris had an excuses for everything! Very unattentive to us over tables of 5 or more. Hubby ordered crab legs and no way to open the shells! We had to ask for shell breakers and crab fork when waiter told us shells are not presliced because customers prefer to crack themselves! Additionally, the crab was cold! Why weren't 't we asked? No bus boys, either. My lobster and crab salad was droopy and swimming in dressing! Had to get another waitress to track down Chris. Had to ask for our anniversary desert and tea! Hubby ordered a separate desert and I didn't get mine for 30 min later! What happened to attentive service and salesmanship? We would of ordered more if the waiter was more attentive!Special Features:
- BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Birthday Dinner went very well, , service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Beautiful location draws you in. Subpar food and fair service quickly ruins the amazing view. By far Worst dinner of 4 we had at laguna beach area.Special Features:
- Did it again.....ElvisEatsDined on 8/24/2014We came to celebrate birthdays and also brought my Mom for the 1st time.... The Chart House and it's staff did it again. Everyone was friendly and professional and everything just tasted so good! Chilean Sea Bass, Chimichurri Shrimp, Shrimp & Artichoke Pasta.... yum yum yum. Also, I am a fan of Moscow Mules and I had their version called the Double Berry Mule which had fresh muddled berries mixed in. A delicious improvement!!! Ended with the signature lava cake and mud pie! Inudulgent... someone get the wheelbarrow and get us to our car... :-DSpecial Features:
- Over-priced for mediocre foodAHBobDined on 8/24/2014This was my first time at a Chart House and will probably be my last. The view from the restaurant is great (looking south along the Orange County coast), but that's about it. Three of us had fresh fish that was priced over $30 and each piece was mediocre. One of the members of my party had the prime rib and reported that it was not very good. Another member of my party cannot eat any dairy products. This was strongly communicated to the server but her fish still arrived covered with a cream sauce. She had to wait another 20 minutes for a dairy-free dish well after the rest of us had finished. The manager apologized, but that was all he did. Overall, not a good experience.
- Craig reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Appetizer was great, brie, shrimp, bacon and artichoke. Steak was cooked to perfection but lacked and seasoning or sauce, kind of plain. Waitress was very good but pulled away halfway through our celebration to co-wait on a party of 24 that just arrived. Difficult for her but she made it work. The view is normally great but this time the view was of a wedding party eating dinner right outside our window. Yet another disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist TrapOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014If you want great food and good service DO NOT go to the Chart House
- Bad service and over-priced foodChartlessDined on 8/22/2014The service was the worst I have had in years. The server was arrogant to start with and seemed to make a mess of everything. Very slow and untimely. Because of his age I thought he would be a professional but it was like amateur hour. The food is average yet way overpriced. King crab legs were mushy and tasteless. Baked potato was cold and undercooked. I typically enjoy Landry's restaurants but this one is not up to par. Sad considering the beautiful location.
- exceptional everythingbandb44Dined on 8/21/2014HUGO prepared and exceptional surf and turf with perfect scallops and Chelsea the waitress was awesome and Mike the manager was fantastic thank you very much 4 everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good nightgoodDined on 8/19/2014we had my wife's bday and everything was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday dinnerSgarciaDined on 8/19/2014It was my husband's Birthday & we really enjoyed everything! Ruben was an excellent waiter The food was delicious & the cocktails were very good. .. it is a beautiful & the view is fabulous....but it is not a "stuffy" atmosphere. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime Rib in TowntxtravelerVIPDined on 8/19/2014We ordered the Prime Rib and it was fantastic. Melted in our mouths. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as alwaysdanoDined on 8/19/2014We go to the Chart House a few times each year. The food is always spot on and so is the service and ambience. You cannot go wrong with the Dana Point location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedeatoutalotDined on 8/16/2014Had the cedar plank shrimp - it was bland overcooked - veg and potatoes where a combination of mush and undercooked carrots with little flavor. The salad bar is always great. Mud pie was great - wine is good We have been going to chart houses for 30 years - this was the worst experience for foodSpecial Features:
- DisappointedopenhouseDined on 8/13/2014I have been dining at the Chart House for over 30 years and have been increasingly disappointed in the quality of the food and the level of service. I love the location and the view but the service this time was terrible. The restaurant was not very busy so I don't understand why we had to flag down other waiters to get service at our table. Food was just so-so.Special Features:
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2014We love the Chart House! They seated us at a fabulous table and the food is always so good. Wish they had a broader wine by the glass list. The service was not up to par, however, waitress rarely came around and we poured our own wine. She may have been busy, but felt we should have had more attention to our table. All in all, it was wonderful and we will be back!Special Features:
- WaitingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I understand it was a busy night, but I had reserved a table couple nights prior and did not even get seated in a good table. Waited an hour to be seated even after I understand it was a busy night, but I had reserved a table couple nights prior and did not even get seated in a good table. Waited an hour to be seated even after reservations.Special Features:
- MUST 4 foodies who like srvc & viewSUPERIORDined on 8/9/2014This is about our 12th dining experience at Chart House Dana Point; we love it. Great food and service! And the views are outstanding!! We drive an hour and a half for this experience and believe it is well worth it.Special Features:
- sub par serviceBretDined on 8/9/2014while my wife and I love the Chart House our recient experience was sub par. I will give them another try because the food was fantastic but the service needs to get back to what you would expect for a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:
- Very dated and needing a faceliftkingoffoodDined on 8/9/2014Building is cool,view amazing! food is not worth the price. Alaskan king crab was frozen,then boiled and served to us luke warm like it had been sitting around awhile before the server got around to serving us. Caesar salad did not taste fresh and crispy like a salad should taste.No care was given to the parmesan cheese,as piles of it were just thrown on completely drowning out any kind of salad taste. Waiter was very kind but the service was so slow almost got up and left. I could go on and on but I won't. My advise is have a cocktail enjoy the view then go to an establishment that really understands the art of cooking great seafood.Special Features:
- FlashDined on 8/9/2014Beautiful setting above Dana Point Harbor. Pricey but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Chart HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Chart House Dana Point has always been one of our favorite restaurants to go to. Food is awesome, drinks are awesome, staff is awesome! We actually had our wedding there in Sept 2014 and wouldn't have changed a thing. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderf2fulWonder2fulDined on 8/9/2014We called Saturday afternoon for a reservation and were told their was an opening at 5:30 P.M. We were seated outside and enjoyed the view. We had our cocktails and ordered dinner. Our waitress was exceptional. I have told several people about our evening. Thank you!!Special Features:
- Great viewSlickerDined on 8/8/2014You can't beat the view in Dana Point. The food is good but there are no surprises.Special Features:
- Chart HouseFoodieforlifeDined on 8/8/2014Lobster Bisque was an excellent start - very creamy and exceptionally tasty. Followed by the Pan Seared Scallops which were cooked to perfection. Even though the scallops were very large, they were very tender. We topped the meal with the traditional Lava Cake - always a treat. Overall experience was very good, service was outstanding (Avalon). Have eaten at the Chart House several times and never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be Great...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014We have enjoyed coming to this Restaurant every year for many years, but sadly this year we had a bad experience. The hostess was nice to change tables for us and our waitress was very nice, but she had no help. No one to fill waters, clear dishes, run food, help with service. We waited way too long for someone to approach our table, waited for water, waited for entrees, waited for drinks, waited for dishes to be cleared, waited for our waitress. It was not an enjoyable evening. The view is great and the restaurant is beautiful, but unfortunately that doesn't help with the management. We did see the manager walking by our table but he didn't approach our table and didn't ask us about our evening--maybe he knew what the answer would be.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014Meat was overcooked, salad was average. A bit disappointing despite nice setting.Special Features:
- Chart Dana PointLove2eatDined on 8/5/2014Disappointing. Not up to the standards of Chart House as I used to know it. Food was okay to good - but, not great!Special Features:
- Monday Night TreatEat2MuchDined on 8/4/2014Dining on a Monday night was perfect! Much better chance of getting a window with spectacular view of the Dana Point Harbor. And, it was significantly less noisy than on a weekend night. Great ambience, service and food.Special Features:
- Customer dinnerBoomerDined on 8/3/2014The location of this Chart House is fantastic. The views looking south over Dana Point Harbor is amazing. The food is great. Service is great. You can't go wrong. I grew up in California and I have enjoyed this Chart House many times over the past 20+ years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What We ExpectedTitaLinPDined on 8/1/2014My husband and I have dined at various Chart House locations in the past, and looked forward to our experience. We made reservations, arrived early, and were given the option to wait in the bar area. We were dressed in dressy dinner attire, as has been fitting for other locations. However, were disappointed to see clientele in shorts, t-shirts, athletic shoes. The atmosphere was very noisy, and we could not have conversation sitting across from each other without raising our voices. Our server had a lukewarm demeanor, and only contributed to our lackluster experience. I understand that the bar atmosphere can be quite different from the dining area, however, Chart House standards should be upheld across the board.
- Not as good as it usually is....LoveCHDined on 8/1/2014We were celebrating a birthday and the menu didn't have the birthday boys name on it - it was generic. The waitress seemed sort of out of it. we had to order waters twice - never got the regular glasses of waters we requested. The birthdy boy ordered blackend halibut and it came out grilled like the grilled salmon that was ordered - not blackened. the waitress came back to the table to ask our order twice and still got the most impportant meal at the table wrong ;( My salmon on the mixed seafood grill was overcooked. We never rec'd bread with our soup and salad we ordered. We dine at this Chart house once a month or so - usually LOVE IT and we leave feeling so satisfied. OUr Friday night was not good - we won't be back for a while.
- WOW, what a viewWonderfulVIPDined on 8/1/2014Chart House restaurants are known for their spectacular architecture and this location does not disappoint. Perched on a bluff high above the Dana Point harbor the place is stunning. We sat outside on the patio (heated) and enjoyed a beautiful sunset and view. Food was very good and well presented. The service was very good until the end when we waited and waited after asking for the check; the server got distracted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service!CGanniversary2014Dined on 7/31/2014Anniversary dinner..horrlble service, poor management, and we had a reservation. It took 30-40 minutes to get anything but water. We never saw our waitress more than a couple of times, and we had to get up out of our seats to ask other servers for our bread, check, tea sweetner etc. It took over 2.5 hours to eat and get the bill. Server removed bread basket with bread and bread plates too. Medallions of beef were cold, the short ribs tasted like pot roast, our guest did not take home the leftovers. A huge stroller was parked inches from our table blocking the aisle. I should have read other reviews before choosing to go there for such a special occasion. No management to check on us. Landry's card holders are not priority guests!Special Features:
- fabulous find.AaronDined on 7/28/2014My wife and I have dined at the Chart House in Monterey and Dana point. Both have exceeded our expectations for quality. The food, service and views are top notch. For a party of two look to spend $120. It's well worth it for a special occasion with your spouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over all experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Best view in the area. Food has never been an issue, always good. When offered the special, make sure you ask the price so there are no unwanted charges. We did not and there were.Special Features:
- Delicious!rtnicDined on 7/26/2014Great location, delicious food! Having an ATM machine on site would help with the cash needed for the valet. Not everyone carries cash nowadays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AvalonJamesDined on 7/26/2014Our server Avalon was outstanding. She was efficient, helpful and very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.