Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point
34442 Street of the Green Lantern
Dana Point, CA 92629Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: 9494931183x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 4:30pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef:
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point
From amazing views of the Pacific Ocean & Dana Point Harbor to unparalleled cuisine, Chart House is a feast for the eyes as well as the palate. Savor a seamless blend of fine seafood & steaks, while you enjoy the elegant atmosphere & impeccable service. With 28 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From signature fish specialties and seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, Miso Glazed Salmon & our slow-roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines and our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Don't miss out on our exceptional Happy Hour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point - Best Restaurants in Dana Point ›
Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (202)special occasion (143)romantic (118)great for outdoor dining (78)good for groups (45)fit for foodies (43)neighborhood gem (42)notable wine list (29)great for brunch (14)hot spot (14)kid-friendly (11)vibrant bar scene (10)great for lunch (10)late-night find (7)Show More
- BirthdayJustinsanDined on 9/28/2014I always insist we go here for my birthday, Father's Day, and any other occasion when I have the choice. The sea food is the best, always fresh and cooked just right. The staff is very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- not just for localsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Everyone in our party lives in the LOS ANGELES AREA. Half of our party drove in from LA just to celebrate dinner with me. While the rest of us were staying the weekend. Everyone felt the food, and experience was worth the drive. Our reservation was for 6:30p, which allowed us to enjoy the view before the sun went down. Our server Mandy was excellent. Very polite and attentive. How she spoke to us reminded me of my recent visit to the French Laundry. With appreciation for us being their guests. When we left we didn't even realize that we had been there for almost 3 hours. It was that enjoyable of an experience we hadn't wanted to leave.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Been coming to the Chart House over 20years. No matter where we are visiting in sunny CA , we make a point to travel to Dana Point. Especially to have dinner and enjoy the amazing view. The food service atmosphere is simply outstanding!Special Features:
- Slow ServiceEllisDined on 9/27/2014Everything was fine,except it took a long time to get our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than mostRaeraeDined on 9/26/2014Had a great view of the ocean and harbor. We got there when they opened at 5:00pm and finally received our dinner at 5:55. Food was good even though the prime rib was a bit over cooked. We didn't see our server very much but there were a ton of people coming in about 5:45.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chart House Thumbs DownPablitoEatsVIPDined on 9/25/2014Not one piece of fresh seafood was served, it was defrosted, watery, yuck...really disappointed by the meal. I purchased better tasting crab legs at Ralph's. It took 50 mintues for us to get our main course, the waiter knew nothing about wine and a low level of food knowledge in general. Does not bode well for this review when the best part of the meal was the baked potato that I took from my daugher's plate. The Spinach Chopped Salad was decent. The Calamari appetizer, was luke warm, soggy, terrible dipping sauces. The panko crust on my fish was soggy and had no flavor. Creamed spinach under the dish was fine. I am sad that one of the two nights we had in Dana Point was spent at this place. One plus is the beautiful view.
- mid-week anniversary dinnerDaveDined on 9/24/2014The service from the hostess to our server was professional and very nice. We did have to wait for our table, but it was a cozy booth with a view. The calamari appetizer, clam chowder soup and salads were seasoned well and tasty. Our main courses of lobster and prime rib were cooked perfectly and delicious. The chocolate lava cake was very decadent and amazing. We want to come back next year for our 10th anniversary.Special Features:
- Fish poorly cookedSanchoDined on 9/20/2014Ahi - asked for medium, pink in the middle, but fish was overcooked and very dry. Had a reservation and arrived 5 minutes early, but still had to wait 20 minutes.
- Poor Service with large partyBummedoutDined on 9/20/2014We were so disappointed in the service for my sons birthday. We had a group of 9 and they were soooooo slow, never came to refill waters, never checked on us to see how we were and overall the service. for what you pay, was the worst I have had there. It was a bummer as they never sang happpy birthday and the onyl time the waiter talked to us was to sell us on this point card you could pay and sin up for. Very Bummed as we have been going for years and not sure I would go back!!!!Special Features:
- A Fine and Scenic Dining ExperienceCanyonrat12Dined on 9/20/2014As always, the Dana Point Chart House provides a wonderful ambience with a terrific view of Dana Point Harbor. The food is delicious and the service is always top notch.Special Features:
- Gorgeous, Perfect & FlexiblerjajdjDined on 9/20/2014We made a reservation for 5pm to celebrate my mother's Bday and even though we were running about 15 minutes late they were able to accommodate us and give us the table they reserved for our small celebration. Beautiful view, excellent table, excellent food & service. Can't wait to celebrate the next occasion there.Special Features:
- FUNPMRETIREDDined on 9/17/2014BEAT THE HEAT. MAKE RESERVATION AT DANA PT. CHART HOUSE FOR A GREAT MEAL OVERLOOKING THE HARBOR. SALAD BAR AND A GREAT GLASS OF WINE MAKES THE DAY BETTER. ASK FOR BRAD TO BE YOUR SERVER.Special Features:
- OutstandingLasVeganDined on 9/15/2014We thoroughly enjoyed everything about our evening. The lobster was incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner took too longSharonDined on 9/14/2014We usually have a wonderful experience at Charthouse but this time unfortunately we had to wait a unacceptable length of time. First for our drink order and then about 45 min to 1 hr for our dinner after we ordered. We couldn't figure out why because the restaurant didn't seem that full. It would have been more acceptable but nobody would come around asking if we would like more bread or drinks or water even. We kind of felt abandoned. The manager did come by and offer dessert on the house which was nice but didn't quite make up for the delay. The view is always outstanding but only goes so far when you are hungry and having to wait an extra amount of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ocean view Dana PointlocalfoodieVIPDined on 9/14/2014Chart house is a bit old school but great for a special occasion. The food is good and the restaurant has breathtaking views of the Dana Point Harbor.Special Features:
- 50th Brithdays CelebrationAmy22Dined on 9/14/2014My husband and I went to celebrate our 50th birthdays, which are 13 days apart. Much to my surprise, the menu we were given had a birthday message at the top! That was pretty cool! We had a window seat with a gorgeous view, and the booths were separated by walls, making the table seem more intimate. Our server, Justin, was awesome, and the food was out of this world! We shared a crab cake appetizer and clam chowder, both of which were the best we've ever had. I got mac nut crusted mahi, he got tilapia stuffed with crab, both dishes were fantastic. And then lava cake for dessert. It was all-around one of the best dining experiences I've had, one truly worthy of our 50th birthdays celebration!Special Features:
- Our special placeFuncoupleDined on 9/13/2014Every year we book a table here for my wife's birthday. This year was no different. We are so pleased that on such a special day we can always count on such excellent service and masterly prepared meals. And let's not forget the candle on their signature dessert.Special Features:
- Dining experience-AWFULLSceneEnoughDined on 9/12/2014Terrible food, lousy service, condescending management. Great view, but you can eat the view. This Chart House was terrific when owned by the original Chart House. The current owner should be punished for ruining a great scenic restaurant. I can't say enough about the bad prime rib that tasted like re-warmed pre-packaged pre-cooked slices of fatty overcooked meat. The accompanying garlic mashed potatoes were cold and tasted like they too were made on an earlier day. Not only was the food bad, but the prices are astronomical for what you are getting. $18.99 for the salad bar? Average greens. Our empty plates stayed on the table until we left. Really, really bad service. The only good thing this place has going for it is the view.Special Features:
- STeveDined on 9/11/2014We sat outside and it was a warm pleasant evening. Much preferred sitting outside and we were lucky to get a first come first serve outdoor table. That made the evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go somewhere else...GoliathDined on 9/11/2014Didn't appreciate the sales pitch from the weighter pushing a $25 gift card purchase after our meal. Found it very tacky for a "high end" restaurant. Food was average and overpriced. We won't be back.Special Features:
- OverdonePaulyDined on 9/10/2014For the money we spent, I was extremely disappointed. All three of our meals were forgettable. The shrimp was way overdone. When we told the waitress, all she said is "sorry". I'll never go back to a Chart House.
- gruntmarine1Dined on 9/8/2014All of the service folks/waiters/bar-keep etc.were all very professional/pro-active/neatly dressed and courteous// We will visit again in the near future. Jim Cravey Dana Point,Ca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuggestionnoneDined on 9/4/2014My one negative is that one or more server smelled of Febreze (or similar), so as that person passed our table, the smell carried and was not a pleasant mix with our dinner food. This was the second time we ate at the Chart House this past week and it was only on Sept. 4th that we smelled the Febreze smell.Special Features:
- excellent eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014We were celebrating two birthdays..arrived early sitting outside with a drink was perfect. Party arrived and we were seated on time. Food, service, and ambiance were wonderful. But why is it almost every time I book through Open Table I am told ..this reservation will not count towards points..?? I only used Open Table because that was what was offered for on line reservations.
- Chart House, Dana Point - A+RosenfritzDined on 9/1/2014This Chart House sits on the top of the bluff at Dana Point harbor. The view, day or night is stunning! The food was very good. The presentation was quite good too. The waiter was knowledgable, kind, and there immediately when we wanted him - and never when we didn't. All in all, The Chart House made an evening out very memorable!Special Features:
- Long time customerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/1/2014Great ambiance; fantastic service .. Wonderful view! The food was excellent as always however a couple of my all time favorites like jumbo shrimp cocktail and crab stuffed mushrooms had been removed from the appetizer menu under the new ownership ... Bring them back! ... I know it's financial! ... Just charge more for them! ... Customers in this area of OC won't care! ... Likewise for the Chilean Sea Bass!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Run ResturantEatHappyDined on 8/31/2014Completely overbooked. People with reservations were waiting 45 minutes to 1 hour past their reservation time. So, go to the bar for a drink! Half the bar was covered in dirty dishes and cups. There was some bar tender playing around with cups, and despite our best efforts and while staring at him for 7 minutes plus, he served neither us nor a single other person. Then, he walked off and left so that no one was serving the bar. Eventually, at 8:45, we were seated (8:15 reservation). So as we were taken to the back of the restaurant you think we would see a busy place right? No, we saw 8+ empty tables that had plates etc on them. No one was bussing the tables, which makes sense as my wife saw one table uncleaned for entire time we waited.Special Features:
- Charthouse Dana Point is a Bust!!!BigPapaTDined on 8/31/2014We Had a reservation @ 7:30 were seated at 8:30 with no compensation or regrets. Service very slow!!! Not worth the effort to return to this location.Special Features:
- GrumblingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014I have eaten at ALL Charthouses in So Cal. This location is the balm. Service was exceptional, food was lousy. For the amount of money I paid, I was astonished that the food was not warm and not as good as I have found in Charthouses in other locations. Sorry, but have written this location off as a destination. Will continue to use the Marina location as home base.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Worst prime rib I have ever been served. it was like cutting a shoe. Service was horrible. Three hours for dinner, and very little attention.Special Features:
- Chart House ViewgoldengirlVIPDined on 8/29/2014We had reservations in the dining room for 7 PM but arrived early and ended up sitting at a table outside in the bar area for drinks then dinner. Beautiful view! It was a little cold outside so servers arranged a heater for us. We were four 4: all four vegetarians and two of those vegans. We alerted the server and the chef was able to offer an Asian noodle dish which was not on the menu and very good! Thank you. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ruined our romantic anniversary.CarmensluvvickysDined on 8/27/2014Our waiter Chris had an excuses for everything! Very unattentive to us over tables of 5 or more. Hubby ordered crab legs and no way to open the shells! We had to ask for shell breakers and crab fork when waiter told us shells are not presliced because customers prefer to crack themselves! Additionally, the crab was cold! Why weren't 't we asked? No bus boys, either. My lobster and crab salad was droopy and swimming in dressing! Had to get another waitress to track down Chris. Had to ask for our anniversary desert and tea! Hubby ordered a separate desert and I didn't get mine for 30 min later! What happened to attentive service and salesmanship? We would of ordered more if the waiter was more attentive!Special Features:
- BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Birthday Dinner went very well, , service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Up To Par This TimecoachcariDined on 8/24/2014We have dined here for many years. We love the food and the view. Unfortunately, the service is not what it used to be. Having worked in the restaurant industry, I am traditionally quick to give praise to a manager and to over-tip, as well as to talk to the server and or manager if there is a problem. I know it is a tough business and I want to be helpful. I have spoken with various managers over the past couple years about service issues. They apologize and do what restaurant managers do, but I would far rather have consistent excellent service than a free appetizer or dessert. It has been so hit and miss that we rarely dine here anymore. We have gone from about once a month to about twice a year.Special Features:
- Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Beautiful location draws you in. Subpar food and fair service quickly ruins the amazing view. By far Worst dinner of 4 we had at laguna beach area.Special Features:
- Did it again.....ElvisEatsDined on 8/24/2014We came to celebrate birthdays and also brought my Mom for the 1st time.... The Chart House and it's staff did it again. Everyone was friendly and professional and everything just tasted so good! Chilean Sea Bass, Chimichurri Shrimp, Shrimp & Artichoke Pasta.... yum yum yum. Also, I am a fan of Moscow Mules and I had their version called the Double Berry Mule which had fresh muddled berries mixed in. A delicious improvement!!! Ended with the signature lava cake and mud pie! Inudulgent... someone get the wheelbarrow and get us to our car... :-DSpecial Features:
- Over-priced for mediocre foodAHBobDined on 8/24/2014This was my first time at a Chart House and will probably be my last. The view from the restaurant is great (looking south along the Orange County coast), but that's about it. Three of us had fresh fish that was priced over $30 and each piece was mediocre. One of the members of my party had the prime rib and reported that it was not very good. Another member of my party cannot eat any dairy products. This was strongly communicated to the server but her fish still arrived covered with a cream sauce. She had to wait another 20 minutes for a dairy-free dish well after the rest of us had finished. The manager apologized, but that was all he did. Overall, not a good experience.
- Craig reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Appetizer was great, brie, shrimp, bacon and artichoke. Steak was cooked to perfection but lacked and seasoning or sauce, kind of plain. Waitress was very good but pulled away halfway through our celebration to co-wait on a party of 24 that just arrived. Difficult for her but she made it work. The view is normally great but this time the view was of a wedding party eating dinner right outside our window. Yet another disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist TrapOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014If you want great food and good service DO NOT go to the Chart House
- Bad service and over-priced foodChartlessDined on 8/22/2014The service was the worst I have had in years. The server was arrogant to start with and seemed to make a mess of everything. Very slow and untimely. Because of his age I thought he would be a professional but it was like amateur hour. The food is average yet way overpriced. King crab legs were mushy and tasteless. Baked potato was cold and undercooked. I typically enjoy Landry's restaurants but this one is not up to par. Sad considering the beautiful location.