Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point
34442 Street of the Green Lantern
Dana Point, CA 92629Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: (949) 493-1183
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 4:30pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef:
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point
From amazing views of the Pacific Ocean & Dana Point Harbor to unparalleled cuisine, Chart House is a feast for the eyes as well as the palate. Savor a seamless blend of fine seafood & steaks, while you enjoy the elegant atmosphere & impeccable service. With 28 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From signature fish specialties and seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, Miso Glazed Salmon & our slow-roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines and our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Don't miss out on our exceptional Happy Hour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point - Best Restaurants in Dana Point ›
Chart House Restaurant - Dana Point reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (164)special occasion (124)romantic (108)great for outdoor dining (61)neighborhood gem (46)good for groups (45)fit for foodies (41)notable wine list (25)hot spot (13)late-night find (12)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Incredible view and ambianceBarbroDined on 11/14/2014This is the place to take your sweet heart or friends from out of state! The window seating is gorgeous. Food is good but not what I expected. Prices are quite steep! The service was excellent and overall we had a very nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NinoDined on 11/8/2014Thank you for the review opportunity. I was mislead and disappointed. I did make online reservation for a party of six. it was mentioned that there will be no guarantee for a window sitting. so I called the next day and spoke to John who told me to be on time and noted my reservation. I did got there on time and found out that I have to wait an hour for a window sitting. I asked for the manager who was not friendly and in my opinion was not professional at all. he told me that there is only one window table in the restaurant that will fit 6 people. I ended setting where they assign my table and had an okay evening. the food was excellent and the place as always nice to dine in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RJOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Sitting outside was the best seat in the house but it's 1st come 1st serve so be ready to have a drink in the bar until a table is open. We had a fantastic dinner and dessert for our anniversary. View is of Dana Point Harbor and was spectacular. All the staff was super friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great harbor view, little elseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014Short poured drinks, bad tasting white sea bass and slow service.Special Features:
- Great view, not great foodCookieDined on 11/6/2014The fish was overlooked and dry, not served hot. Unfortunate since the view is so wonderful that food is very poor.Special Features:
- Always pleasedklsbeachmomDined on 10/31/2014Always have had a great experience. Will be coming back over and over again.Special Features:
- Our birthday special placeDPvrDined on 10/30/2014We love to come here for our birthdays. This time it was my wife's turn. The food is great and the view can't be matched. We are never disappointed. The welcome is done with a great smile and the server is always very friendly and accommodates any special wish.Special Features:
- Excellent spot!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014Had a great time with my wife ... Food and location were fantastic ... Waitress was very friendly and accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding seating, service, foodSilverfoxDined on 10/24/2014Preferential seating exactly as requested with outstanding courtesy. Prompt appearance of our waiter a few minutes later who is extremely well versed on the wine and food menu providing a visual example of a dessert under discussion. The waiter continued to provide appropriately prompt and outstanding service after aiding us in selecting the meals we wanted . I enjoyed my Mahe with a very fruity and smooth goblet of Rodney Strong white wine. We were easily able to converse at the table and thoroughly enjoyed our meal and ambiance including the beautiful view of the Marina.Special Features:
- Million Dollar ViewMickeyDined on 10/24/2014The view of the ocean and harbor are to die for. Get there before dark to take real advantage of the view. Food is excellent and wait staff is good. Special occasions are great at this place. Just moved to OC from NorCal and been here twice already. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- First time, loved it!KimmiDined on 10/21/2014I've been to Chart Houses in other areas so I knew it would be good. We had a great seat overlooking the bay. Food was great. The wild mushroom bruschetta was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best king salmon everSasaDined on 10/20/2014The seafood was exceptional with the wild mushroom salad. Of course the view of Dana Point was marvelous. Only two negative comments. The spotlight lamp over the table was too bright and unflattering. We asked to have it dimmed, however, it didn't help much. The spotlight was very distracting even making the terrific view less sensational. A candle on the table would have sufficed. At the close of an expensive and great dinner, the server went to great lengths to try and sell us a $25 discount card to other chart house owned restaurants. It ruined the afterglow of what should have been a great dining experience. ShameSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip This Chart House!!!OceanblisssDined on 10/19/2014I was astounded by the lack of quality of food and service and staff at this Chart house. I have been to the one in San Diego a few times that is excellent! This Chart house so very loud, we were seated next to a bus station and heard nothing but orders print and, plates banging, the bus boys speaking loudly to each other in Spanish. It was difficult to have a conversation. On top of that the food was terrible. I've had better meals at Denny's sadly to say. The price we paid for food, we should be eating very well. The food should be consistent with the other restaurants. I held the Chart house with such a good opinion and this experience ruined it, and I will not be returning.Special Features:
- Great FoodGT81VIPDined on 10/18/2014The food was great. The service was a bit slow, probably from the number of patrons in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular ExperiencebuffalogalDined on 10/18/2014Restaurant is a gem overlooking scenic Dana Point. We had told them in advance that it was our anniversary; and we were able to get a window talbe. The menus also wished us a happy anniversary. Service was excellent including our server, the hostess and valet staff. Meals were explained well and served with great presentation. And the chocolate lava cake was to die for. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PotentialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Not sure if this place lacks the right management or feels that the view is what's worth the money. And the wait. Our whole evening was filled with apologies. From the reservation right down to how long it took for the bill. Drinks took forever. Never had the right amount of silverware. Food was meh. She put our dessert order in when we ordered dinner because it "takes a while to prepare" and still was another 30 minutes after our plates were cleared before we saw it. NOT WORTH THE PRICE of this place. The view is fantastic, but that's really the only thing they have going for them.Special Features:
- Everyting was excellentGreatexperienceDined on 10/17/2014Service provided by our waiter Ron was fantastic. The food and the view were perfect for our occasion. We will be back and soon.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere food okLaarnDined on 10/16/2014The atmosphere is incredible but the food is average. Prices are too high given the food qualitySpecial Features:
- MoondoggDined on 10/16/2014The chart house was just as great as I would ever expect. The ambiance, the service and the food were exquisite. I'd definitely recommend this location to all. I cant wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant.RobertDined on 10/16/2014Wonderful view, great service and deliciously prepared seafood. We always enjoy coming to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Its a chart housereggiesdadVIPDined on 10/14/2014Chart House is consistently good but not especially noteworthy anywhere. This one has a great view that makes it worth it. We had a large party near us that raised the noise level and tok some of the waiters attention away. Its worth it for the view and knowing the food will be good.Special Features:
- Wow! The View!Chownowbrwncow1VIPDined on 10/14/2014Most beautiful view and awesome salad bar, great service, lots of booths for privacy, wish there was one in the Chicago area! Only wish they had chilled the martini glass!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- getyourvalueVIPDined on 10/13/2014Not a review comment, but it would appear I was only credited 100 points for this visit, vs the 1000 points your system said I would get when I made this Monday evening reservation. Please make that adjustment.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beCarrieVIPDined on 10/12/2014The Chart House's food was fair, but the ambiance still was remarkable.Special Features:
- not what it wasdisappointedDined on 10/12/2014Wilted lettuce over cooked fish expensive scallops the size of a quarterSpecial Features:
- not too happyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Service was just ok... nothing special. . Food was blah... fish was fishy. .. filet mignon had no flavor. ... not worth it for the 125.00 price tag. .. Not at all... would not recommend other than the view... that's worth a million dollars.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014I have eaten at the Dana Point Chart House at least half a dozen times. I have always had a wonderful experience. The view is magnificent during the day time as well as at night. Food was excellent. Great ambiance and friendly staff. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- always delicioussomethingnewVIPDined on 10/10/2014Chart House has wonderful coconut shrimp. Their lobster bisque is one of the best, and when the mangoes are ripe, the avocado mango c r about stack is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View.. but bland foodWorldTravelerDined on 10/3/2014I ordered the King Salmon... and it tasted and looked exactly like farm raised Atlantic Salmon which I detest. My wife had the filet and was not impressed. The view is absolutely stunning, the service was very good.... Not sure what goes on in the kitchen though.Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Service was okay. Food was blah! No flavor. Really disappointed. Even the food from the children's menu was terrible. My niece would not eat the food and she is not a picky eater. Location is amazing. Will not return.Special Features:
- BigDogBillDined on 10/1/2014This truly is one of our favorite, if not our favorite, restaurants. The ambiance and food preparation and taste are second to none. We were with clients who had never been to this particular Chart House, and they were awestruck with the entire experience. Perhaps our server had more than the normal amount of tables to tend to, but we felt he was not attentive to us. He never came to refill our water glasses and didn't ask if we needed anything. We would have had to leave our seats to get his attention, as he didn't look our way, and was not in speaking distance to summons him to our table. There was, what appeared to be, a large corporate group at a table a bit across from ours and we observed that he serviced that table very often.Special Features:
- BirthdayJustinsanDined on 9/28/2014I always insist we go here for my birthday, Father's Day, and any other occasion when I have the choice. The sea food is the best, always fresh and cooked just right. The staff is very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- not just for localssunpoweredDined on 9/27/2014Everyone in our party lives in the LOS ANGELES AREA. Half of our party drove in from LA just to celebrate dinner with me. While the rest of us were staying the weekend. Everyone felt the food, and experience was worth the drive. Our reservation was for 6:30p, which allowed us to enjoy the view before the sun went down. Our server Mandy was excellent. Very polite and attentive. How she spoke to us reminded me of my recent visit to the French Laundry. With appreciation for us being their guests. When we left we didn't even realize that we had been there for almost 3 hours. It was that enjoyable of an experience we hadn't wanted to leave.Special Features:
- OutstandingTraveler1Dined on 9/27/2014Been coming to the Chart House over 20years. No matter where we are visiting in sunny CA , we make a point to travel to Dana Point. Especially to have dinner and enjoy the amazing view. The food service atmosphere is simply outstanding!Special Features:
- Slow ServiceEllisDined on 9/27/2014Everything was fine,except it took a long time to get our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than mostRaeraeDined on 9/26/2014Had a great view of the ocean and harbor. We got there when they opened at 5:00pm and finally received our dinner at 5:55. Food was good even though the prime rib was a bit over cooked. We didn't see our server very much but there were a ton of people coming in about 5:45.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chart House Thumbs DownPablitoEatsVIPDined on 9/25/2014Not one piece of fresh seafood was served, it was defrosted, watery, yuck...really disappointed by the meal. I purchased better tasting crab legs at Ralph's. It took 50 mintues for us to get our main course, the waiter knew nothing about wine and a low level of food knowledge in general. Does not bode well for this review when the best part of the meal was the baked potato that I took from my daugher's plate. The Spinach Chopped Salad was decent. The Calamari appetizer, was luke warm, soggy, terrible dipping sauces. The panko crust on my fish was soggy and had no flavor. Creamed spinach under the dish was fine. I am sad that one of the two nights we had in Dana Point was spent at this place. One plus is the beautiful view.
- mid-week anniversary dinnerDaveDined on 9/24/2014The service from the hostess to our server was professional and very nice. We did have to wait for our table, but it was a cozy booth with a view. The calamari appetizer, clam chowder soup and salads were seasoned well and tasty. Our main courses of lobster and prime rib were cooked perfectly and delicious. The chocolate lava cake was very decadent and amazing. We want to come back next year for our 10th anniversary.Special Features:
- Fish poorly cookedSanchoDined on 9/20/2014Ahi - asked for medium, pink in the middle, but fish was overcooked and very dry. Had a reservation and arrived 5 minutes early, but still had to wait 20 minutes.
- Poor Service with large partyBummedoutDined on 9/20/2014We were so disappointed in the service for my sons birthday. We had a group of 9 and they were soooooo slow, never came to refill waters, never checked on us to see how we were and overall the service. for what you pay, was the worst I have had there. It was a bummer as they never sang happpy birthday and the onyl time the waiter talked to us was to sell us on this point card you could pay and sin up for. Very Bummed as we have been going for years and not sure I would go back!!!!Special Features: