Chart House Restaurant - Cardiff
2588 South Coast Hwy 101
Cardiff, CA 92007Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Cardiff
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: 7604364044x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm-10:00pm;
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm.
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 3:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Gerado Nava
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Spectacular ocean views available for corporate meetings, breakfast, lunch & dinners. Beautiful receptions, rehearsal dinners & wedding ceremonies as well a tour groups, bar mitzvahs & any special event. The Chart House - Cardiff offers a semi-private lofted area seating up to 40 guests as well.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Fortner 7604364044x
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Cardiff
You’ll have a front-row seat to catching waves & panoramic Southern California sunsets at this magnificent oceanfront Chart House located near San Diego. A modern and open decor makes the most of its location with windows that open the entire restaurant to its natural environment. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From signature fish specialties and seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, Miso Glazed Salmon & our slow-roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines and our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Don't miss out on our exceptional, yet affordable lunch menu available Monday-Saturday and a Sunday brunch you won't soon forget.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chart House Restaurant - Cardiff - Best Restaurants in Solana Beach ›
Chart House Restaurant - Cardiff reviews from OpenTable diners
265 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (235)special occasion (175)romantic (136)great for lunch (64)good for groups (52)great for brunch (47)neighborhood gem (46)fit for foodies (43)notable wine list (28)great for outdoor dining (26)hot spot (22)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (17)kid-friendly (14)Show More
- Perfect Anniversay dinnerPmsayreVIPDined on 9/14/2014We noted it was our anniversary on our reservation, and everyone set about making it special for us! The food was delicious and well-presented. The service was attentive yet unobrusive. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Great location & FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Service -- not so much. Nice people, but not set up to do simple things easily, like replenish sodas or coffee. Prime rib is most excellent. Awesome ocean view. We were there on a slow Sunday night and actually scored a window table seating 6, just for the 2 of us. Very nice. Waiter got side orders totally wrong, but did not charge us for them. Seems like the place needs more involved management. Still I would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Ever...AnonymousVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I made reservations and were present at this v busy restaurant 10 minutes early. We decided to go to the bar and enjoy the view and a drink. 1 HOUR later, no one ever called us, apologized to us, came to us or in any way acknowledged that we had been summarily bumped from our reservation. We've never had this experience in all our long years of dining out all over the world. We have enjoyed this restaurant in the past, which is why we were there. No one comped us for so much as a drink or dessert and of course, the front desk never apologized. Our poor waitress did her best but it wasn't her error. it stunned us that they could be so cavalier and indifferent. They seemed completely nonplussed. A first and we won't be back.
- 30 mins late & 85 degrees: no ACOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014We arrived 20 mins before our reservations in order to get a drink, we were seated 30 mins after our reservation. WE had to approach the hostess and as we were being seated we noticed three empty tables ??? There was a heat wave hitting SD and it was 85 degrees at the coast, they didn't have the air conditioning on! We asked the bar tender about it and she was even more upset about than we were. The waitress, Heather, was great. The food good but NOT NEARLY WORTH THE COST. The scenery was beautiful! Would not return, expected more with the cost of dinner.Special Features:
- super foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Been going to the CHART HOUSE for many,many years---your waiters are some of the best in north county,and the food is always outstanding---We have made it a habit of spending christmas dinner with you each year,we bring the whole family--quit a treat for the whole gang----THANKS for being there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Rib was horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014The prime Rib ordered was full of brisel and couldnt even chew it. Complained to manager that was pretty rude about it and didn't care. We had never been treated so terribly at a restaurant. He said the meat was fine but out of courtesy and courtesy only, he offered a free desert. We don't eat desert. We will not be returning to that restaurant.Special Features:
- TORRDined on 9/11/2014This was a special birthday occasion. I included details within my reservation request, including name of the birthday girl. This was the 3rd such time that no acknowledgement whatsoever was made by the receptionist or waiter (for an Open Table reservation). There were no menus when we arrived. At best there were 6 other tables seated in the restaurant. I really love the Chart House in Cardiff, though your service has been better managed in the past. Your atmosphere is exceptional, your food, very good, your service quality remains an opportunity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not satisfiedmassimoDined on 9/7/2014I found a piece of sharp metal in my cheeseburger, probably from the brush used to clean the grill. I immediately stopped eating it and politely let the waiter know. He apologized, but did not offer to bring another plate, nor he took the burger off the bill. Even though I showed him it was sharp and probably dangerous. I think they should have given us a huge discount, or at least offer dessert or something. Then on the way out I asked to put 5$ for the valet parking on the bill, but they said it was not possible. Since I did not have cash I had to go to the ATM and come back to pay the parking. The guy at the valet said they should have been able to put the 5$ on the bill and offered it for free, but I declined because it was nothisfault.Special Features:
- Birthday brunch with my "man"LuckyDined on 9/7/2014Everything was excellent. Great birthday dessert. Our server was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodCLKandRMKDined on 9/6/2014My husband & I celebrated our anniversary at our favorite Chart House in Cardiff. The food was very good & we enjoyed ourselves. My macadamia fish was not as good as last time but still delicious. Our waiter was outstanding!...great smile & very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichDined on 9/5/2014Service is marginal at best. Waiting 15 minutes for water or somebody to take a drink order. Pretty view but we'll find a iced place next time. This is our last time at this Chart House.Special Features:
- Not all that!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014Never acknowledged our 31st anniversary. Service was slow. Not that busy. My sea bass was very fishy, could not eat it. Boxed it up and took it home. I should have notified someone but by that time my wife just wanted to leave. Not a great experience!Special Features:
- Anniversarypartyof2Dined on 9/3/2014Beautiful view, wonderful food, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad foodDissapointingDined on 9/1/2014The food was really bad. Service bad. It would be nice to have a scenic view plus decent food. Very disappointed. The chart house used to be good. This was the 3rd strike.Special Features:
- Will not returnIdineoutoften2Dined on 9/1/2014The waitress did not introduce herself, and I tried to see her name tag, but could not see one. She did not offer bread, nor the special of the day, nor the specialty drink of the day which I overheard another waitress telling her guests. Another server who had more tables than she did was visible to his guests all the time. She only had 3 tables initially. Later she had 4, but she was not readily visible or available for long periods of time. She was slow, and I had to call her over a couple of times for requests. The tempura on both the Fish and Chips and Coconut Shrimp was extremely hard to bite and chew. The shrimp was so dried out, I told her I couldn't eat it. She said she was sorry and offered to have it remade, but I said no.Special Features:
- Beauty By The SeaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014We had a wonderful lunch at the Chart House in Cardiff. The view is spectacular. We started with an appetizer that had melted cheese and seafood and it was yummy. I had the tilipia topped with Panko bread crumbs on a bed of creamed spinach. The spinach is outstanding. My husband had the fish and chips which he enjoyed as well. We concluded the meal with the chocolate lava cake - perfect to share. Don't remember our servers name but she was attentive. We had a table as close as you could get to the ocean and had a clear beautiful day to enjoy the view. We got there at 11:30 when the restaurant first opened. If you want a window seat I recommend getting there early.Special Features:
- DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEYHorribleDined on 9/1/2014Server Tom was nice and somehow he was able to deliver good service in a horrible, snotty, unfriendly environment. Hostess was rude, snotty, did not provide any customer service. She refused to put two tables together so the six of us could eat as a party. We even had reservations. Instead we were put in a tight corner where the server could not even walk around so he had to hand our food/drinks to one of us to pass down. Not acceptable. I do not recommend this place it must be under a careless, management. It was good about 30 yrs ago. What a waste of time and our money. There was only three other tables and our food did not come out at the same time and it was COLD. Had to send some of it back. Again, Tom was trying to be accommodating.Special Features:
- Aim to Please4hi45tx5Dined on 8/31/2014We arrived about 8:15 pm and we seemed to miss most of the crowd. We don't particularly like a table for two because there is never enough room on the table for all the food (plates) . The waiter was more than happy to place us at another table as soon as one was available, after a few minutes had passed we decided to stay where we were. As the people left the restaurant we felt that we were in a good place. The service was GREAT, thanks to Justin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticGigiDined on 8/31/2014This place is a gem. Excellent food. Service Excellent. View Awesom. We visit at least 3 times a year. Wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Special Night OutVineanddineVIPDined on 8/31/2014Treated our grown kids and their spouses to dinner while in San Diego. We picked Chart House because of our relationship with Landry's. This was to be a special night. Although the food was very good the service lacked with empty water glasses and finished plates left on the table. Orders to the bar went unfilled and all we received was a joking waiter most of the night. It is not often we have the chance to take our kids to dinner and this night would have been great if not for the bad service. We will give them another try but would request a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why make a reservation?AnniversaryDined on 8/31/2014I made a reservation for Sunday August 31st for 5:00. We arrived a few minutes early but was told by one of the three hostesses that they were waiting for servers to arrive. We took a seat and as customers came in heard the hostesses say the same thing. During our ten minute wait we watched three hostesses socialize. Slowly some servers arrived and each stopped first to chat with the hostesses. Once seated, our server came but after taking our drink order we had a new server, ours already went on break. After break our server returned. The servers did a good job overall. I blame management or lack of it! My husband was looking forward to having the prime rib as many people told us it is great but fell short of his expectations.Special Features:
- Great Ocean ViewFlyingfinnDined on 8/29/2014The open window facing the ocean was great. With a gentle breeze, the table was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible servicePacificDined on 8/29/2014Not what this restaurant uses to de, good food, very bad service needs to be update, restrooms nastySpecial Features:
- Great views and food.LauraDined on 8/29/2014We had a front table so the view was wonderful. Everyone liked their meals, very tasty.Special Features:
- loved it!pennersDined on 8/28/2014The view is spectacular (if you like dining with waves crashing against the rocks just outside while the sun sets in the west)! The food was great, adorable waiter...all in all a great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean Front DiningLoveGrasingsDined on 8/26/2014We had front row seating that made lunch a great experience. Light ocean breeze and the sound of crashing waves created the environment. Friendly service and good food added to a fun lunch date. We would recommend this as a great way to enjoy life and lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean ViewFireretireDined on 8/26/2014Every table has a great ocean view and is only feet away from the sand, and no cross traffic in front of you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECTOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014We had a business dinner here and it was amazing from start to finish. Table was ready immediately, server was great, staff very very helpful. The food was amazing.Special Features:
- Expensive. Fabulous view, ambience.NutrnlMtblcDined on 8/24/2014Expensive but fabulous view and ambience. Slow service. Food not that good.Special Features:
- Calihan Prime RibMeatLoverVIPDined on 8/24/2014This was one of, if not the best prime rib I have had anywhere. It's my usual choice at the Chart House and I've only been disappointed once but this one was the best ever!Special Features:
- finediningbillyDined on 8/24/2014Very nice restaurant, well presented, fine dining, beautiful hostess and don't forget the service, very professional. Thank and you. Definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...SDFoodyatheartVIPDined on 8/24/2014We have been to the Chart House several times in the past, and were always happy with our meal and service; however, our visit this time was terrible. We notified the restaurant ahead of time that we were celebrating a birthday and anniversary - it was hardly recognized (with exception of the hostess) dessert was never offered. The service was terrible - it took at least 5-10 minutes to get non-alcoholic beverage refills (water and iced tea). Our meals came out very dry as if they had died in the window. Overall it was a complete disappointment.Special Features:
- Skip itSusan5300VIPDined on 8/24/2014Mediocre food, inattentive service, no management apparent. The only thing this place has going for it is the view.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Great food and atmosphere. But we had a 7:30 reservation and we weren't seated until 8:10...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch food fair, view excellentJimPowayDined on 8/20/2014Lunch: The fish in the fish and chips was good, but the tacos were fair at best. The fish was not fresh, the food not well prepared. Service and ambiance & seating were excellent.Special Features:
- lunch with a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014lovely ocean view, comfortable surroundings, average service, average food, average prices, valet parking,, chocolate lava cake- yummy,Special Features:
- not so good this timeregularDined on 8/17/2014Our entrees arrived before salads were - one entree coldSpecial Features:
- Wonderful eveningBeachGlassDined on 8/16/2014Always love the chart house! Beautiful views and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Had reservations at 7:30, was not seated until 8:30. Bit long to wait for a table that you had reservations for. Otherwise it was a great evening at the Chart House at Cardiff by the Sea.Special Features:
- LadyJane1Dined on 8/16/2014fantastic! food was supberb and having a window seat/table was spectacular!Special Features: