Chart House Restaurant - Cardiff
2588 South Coast Hwy 101
Cardiff, CA 92007Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Cardiff
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: 7604364044x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm-10:00pm;
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm.
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 3:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Gerado Nava
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Spectacular ocean views available for corporate meetings, breakfast, lunch & dinners. Beautiful receptions, rehearsal dinners & wedding ceremonies as well a tour groups, bar mitzvahs & any special event. The Chart House - Cardiff offers a semi-private lofted area seating up to 40 guests as well.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Fortner 7604364044x
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Cardiff
You’ll have a front-row seat to catching waves & panoramic Southern California sunsets at this magnificent oceanfront Chart House located near San Diego. A modern and open decor makes the most of its location with windows that open the entire restaurant to its natural environment. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From signature fish specialties and seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, Miso Glazed Salmon & our slow-roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines and our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Don't miss out on our exceptional, yet affordable lunch menu available Monday-Saturday and a Sunday brunch you won't soon forget.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chart House Restaurant - Cardiff - Best Restaurants in Solana Beach ›
Chart House Restaurant - Cardiff reviews from OpenTable diners
273 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (247)special occasion (185)romantic (145)great for lunch (69)good for groups (61)great for brunch (57)neighborhood gem (46)fit for foodies (42)notable wine list (29)great for outdoor dining (24)hot spot (21)kid-friendly (20)late-night find (19)vibrant bar scene (17)Show More
- Great views and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We had a front table so the view was wonderful. Everyone liked their meals, very tasty.Special Features:
- Ocean Front DiningLoveGrasingsDined on 8/26/2014We had front row seating that made lunch a great experience. Light ocean breeze and the sound of crashing waves created the environment. Friendly service and good food added to a fun lunch date. We would recommend this as a great way to enjoy life and lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Every table has a great ocean view and is only feet away from the sand, and no cross traffic in front of you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECTOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014We had a business dinner here and it was amazing from start to finish. Table was ready immediately, server was great, staff very very helpful. The food was amazing.Special Features:
- Expensive. Fabulous view, ambience.NutrnlMtblcDined on 8/24/2014Expensive but fabulous view and ambience. Slow service. Food not that good.Special Features:
- Calihan Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014This was one of, if not the best prime rib I have had anywhere. It's my usual choice at the Chart House and I've only been disappointed once but this one was the best ever!Special Features:
- finediningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Very nice restaurant, well presented, fine dining, beautiful hostess and don't forget the service, very professional. Thank and you. Definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/24/2014We have been to the Chart House several times in the past, and were always happy with our meal and service; however, our visit this time was terrible. We notified the restaurant ahead of time that we were celebrating a birthday and anniversary - it was hardly recognized (with exception of the hostess) dessert was never offered. The service was terrible - it took at least 5-10 minutes to get non-alcoholic beverage refills (water and iced tea). Our meals came out very dry as if they had died in the window. Overall it was a complete disappointment.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Great food and atmosphere. But we had a 7:30 reservation and we weren't seated until 8:10...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch food fair, view excellentJimPowayDined on 8/20/2014Lunch: The fish in the fish and chips was good, but the tacos were fair at best. The fish was not fresh, the food not well prepared. Service and ambiance & seating were excellent.Special Features:
- lunch with a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014lovely ocean view, comfortable surroundings, average service, average food, average prices, valet parking,, chocolate lava cake- yummy,Special Features:
- not so good this timeregularDined on 8/17/2014Our entrees arrived before salads were - one entree coldSpecial Features:
- Wonderful eveningBeachGlassDined on 8/16/2014Always love the chart house! Beautiful views and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Had reservations at 7:30, was not seated until 8:30. Bit long to wait for a table that you had reservations for. Otherwise it was a great evening at the Chart House at Cardiff by the Sea.Special Features:
- LadyJane1Dined on 8/16/2014fantastic! food was supberb and having a window seat/table was spectacular!Special Features:
- 22 year AnniversaryMrobert636Dined on 8/15/2014Chart house is nothing but professional and friendly. I made my reservation on line and specifically stated that it was my 22yr anniversary. I called the manager the same day (Christopher), to see if they happened to have Sparkling Apple Cider since my wife doesn't drink alcohol. Christopher was very friendly and caring, although they didn't have the cider he allowed me to bring a bottle the day before and he would personally insure that the cider makes it to our table the next day. Staff was very friendly and curtious with a how can I make your experience here better attitude. The food was fantastic, although my steak was a little under cook from what I asked for. Chart house made our special night memorable by personalizing our menues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beFoodie10Dined on 8/15/2014Out of 8 items ordered 5 were delivered out of spec. Could not get attention for 20 minutes. No drinks delivered. Salads after entrees. Sad, sad depths.Special Features:
- Very scenicSdDinerDined on 8/15/2014Great view. Pricey, but great way to show off out-of-town guests San Diego's beach view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014We took some kurt or town guests for a sunset dinner. Shrimp, fish and prime rib, all very good, Recommend using the valet parking.Special Features:
- Horrible serviceFood4yumDined on 8/12/2014One guest ordered a steak medium, had to be taken back and redone Yet it came back overcooked again. Our server failed to come and ask if we wanted the chocolate lava cake which takes 30mins to bake until we asked him if they carry it any longe. That's when he informed us oh. It takes 30 mins to bake. After we were well done with our lunchSpecial Features:
- Good food but not great foodMudsharkDined on 8/10/2014Great location right on the beach. Great service. Loved the booths and ambiance. Special manhattan too sweet. Recommended Sea bass was good but not great. For $40 a plate food should be much better, or charge less. Dinner for two was $150. Bread was terrible. No excuse for bad bread. Chopped salad was almost as bad. Veggies were good, rice was excellent. Great place for a date, but guys the chef has to be on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bloody MaryTonyDined on 8/10/2014So glad you asked for my opinion. The seven of us have been to this location many enjoyable times but this time it was not. Two ordered eggs surf n turf that was tasteless, the English muffin soggy the Hollandaise sparse and tasteless. The Cardiff omelet was dry. The steak and eggs ordered med rare, came well, was dry and stringy. It was returned and came back looking like and tasting a prim rib should. The potatoes were on the cold side. The two orders of bacon and eggs were good. And the bloody Mary was great. I would not recommend this Chart house for brunch. Diners were always good and would come for diner again but not for brunch. In January we were there for brunch and it was good, this was not. Great location and view.Special Features:
- awesomeJeffDined on 8/9/2014says it all........................................................................................................................................................................................Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014Great, romantic atmosphere. Can't get over how close the beach is to the spacious windows. Beautiful view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset view diningmermerDined on 8/6/2014We had a short wait at the bar to be able to dine by the window. The bar tender was helpful in selecting new choices. Our waiter was great and our variety of food was delicious. We enjoyed every moment. The window location of our table was a large factor in having a more intimate special experience; Although, anywhere on the first level has an ocean view. I'll go back soon.Special Features:
- servicegreatviewDined on 8/5/2014Although 2 out of 3 entrees were great. The fish tacos were disappointing for my friend. Not ver flavorful. The main complaint, however, was that it took a VERY long time to get our food (only few people at the restaurant at the time) and we had to ask for bread much later as it was never offered to us while we waited for our lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaDisappointedDined on 8/4/2014This was our anniversary. I expected a great experience from this chain. We got there in time for "happy hour" so we had appetizers and drinks not too expensive, got a table next to the window. I asked one waiter if he could close it some as it was getting chilly, he did, but then a little while later OUR waiter came back, and without asking, opened it all the way up - I was freezing. Our waiter was made aware it was our anniversary and yet not ONCE during the two hours he waited on us did he ever wish us a happy anniversary. He recommended the "halibut" said it would be enough for two, it wasnt, small portion, and to pay $41.00 for a small halibut is steep to say the least. Not impressed with the food, prices or service here.Special Features:
- Feast for the eyes, not the palateMy2CentsDined on 8/4/2014This is a beautifully decorated and magnificently situated restaurant. We were disappointed in the food, given the prices, however. Especially notable in this regard was my wife's beefsteak tomato salad. At the height of summer tomato season, these tomatoes were tasteless (like what we get in the midwest in January). Like the restaurant, the salad was strong on presentation and weak on flavor.Special Features:
- Great food and service!wc2014Dined on 8/4/2014We had a great anniversary dinner at the Chart House. Food was great, service was great. Our only complaint was it was very warm on the right side on the restaurant in the window booth. Need more ventilation. Would go back only on a cooler day. Thank you for a great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why?GmanDined on 8/2/2014Why take a reservation just to be running over 1/2 hour behind and then get seated at an oceanfront restaurant with no ocean view (not a drop or wave) and not once offer an apology, a complimentary dessert or waive the $15 corkage fee. No manager touches at all.
- Good food, Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We went here for our anniversary dinner because of the food and the sunset view. We showed up to our reservation about 15 minutes early (res time was just before sunset) but waited an hour to be seated. There was noticeable confusion at the front and others waited about an hour and a half to be seated. Staff was talking about each other being undertrained to customers, which seemed very unprofessional. Once we were finally seated, our server seemed to be poorly trained or just way too busy and we waited quite some time to have our order taken. Because of this, we ordered everything up front that we wanted to eat for the entire night in one order so we didn't get missed or lost in the crowd anymore. Once the food came, it was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent location - beachfrontNewportfamDined on 8/2/2014No better place to celebrate a special occasion than this classic beachfront steak and seafood house. Be sure to request a window table, definitely worth the wait. We enjoyed a delicious meal with excellent service. Delivered on our high expectations,Special Features:
- what good are advanced reservationsfoodloversincDined on 8/2/2014We made reservations weeks earlier stating it was our sons 21st birthday and requesting a window seat. Upon arrival we were told it would be a 60 to 90 minute wait for a window seat. We were seated at the furthest table from the window. Looking to our left we could see behind the work station, the floors were littered with napkins and debris. Not very appetizing. Wanted the dinner experience to be a special as we drove from LV, but that did not happen. The kids you call hostesses were nice enough but need lessens in customer service.
- Good but comes with a sales pitchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The sales pitch at the end of the meal to sign up for a card for 25 dollars is really not necessary and actually left us with a bad taste in our mouths. We did not appreciate the attempted sneaky sell. I would definitely tell others about the card pitch as a negative aspect about the restaurant.Special Features:
- Hit and Miss Food2fishyfoodiesDined on 8/1/2014It has been quite a while since we last ate at this Chart House. Crab, Mango, Avocado stack is still a Hit. Cedar Plank shrimp with Chimichurri were tough and overcooked. Surf and Turf (Scallops and Short Rib) was mediocre.Special Features:
- Family DinnerHughDined on 7/30/2014Our first visit to this particular location of Chart House. Windows were open to enjoy the surf and our window table was perhaps 20 feet away from the ocean. We met a family member there for dinner and we all loved the facility and the food. A memorable occasion, wonderful food, terrific service. We will definitely keep this on our list of favorite restaurants in Southern California. The entire staff are top notch when it comes to service and customer relations in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JhmlvJulesm6121Dined on 7/29/2014My husband and I were celebrating our 19th anniversary. It was the perfect place for dinner!Special Features:
- Great Date PlaceMsThingNVDined on 7/27/2014This is a great place to take a date - great views, great ambiance and great food.Special Features:
- Pick another place!kotelqtrDined on 7/26/2014We were finally seated about 50 minutes past our reservation time. We were continually told it would be 10-15 minutes----about 5 times. Once seated the service and food were good, but we were already tired and angry about being continually lied to. I would think twice about going back.Special Features:
- Can't Go Wrong!SteveAndEllieDined on 7/26/2014Food is always excellent, service is always excellent, and being right on the water's edge, you can't beat the view! Our last dinner, had an added bonus of having the huge windows open to the warm evening summer air, that added the sounds of waves crashing just few feet away. It reminded me of Hawaii, where most beachfront restaurants are open to the outside air. LOVED IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.