Chart House Restaurant - Boston
60 Long Wharf
Boston, MA 02110Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: 6172271576x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sat & Sun 11am - 3pm. Lunch: Monday-Friday 11am - 3pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 3pm - 10pm, Friday & Saturday: 3pm - 11pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 4:30pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Robert Bercume
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Boston
An incredible landmark location on Boston’s Long Wharf, Chart House is situated in the Gardiner Building – the restored 18th-century offices of American Patriot John Hancock. Combine the extraordinary setting with outstanding cuisine & it’s not hard to see why the restaurant is a longtime favorite. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From fresh fish specialties to slow-roasted prime rib, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, Miso Glazed Salmon & Whole Maine Lobster. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines & decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Pato Dining at its finest!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chart House Restaurant - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
259 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (140)scenic view (115)romantic (90)great for outdoor dining (84)good for groups (68)fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (48)notable wine list (41)great for lunch (37)hot spot (22)great for brunch (15)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (11)Show More
- GaryDined on 9/27/2014Food was terrible. go and loved it. Had chowder and mussels. Chowder tasted like they dumped a salt shaker in it and mussels had no taste at all. Sauce they were in was salt water. Will never go back
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had reservations but they were still running an HOUR or more late in seating customers with reservations. Unacceptable. We wound up having to eat at the bar so we could eat before 10PM. The food was not hot but at least it was tasty. It made me reluctant to try it again. Most restaurants would have given patrons some kind of gratuity for the excesive wait like free drinks or desserts but we weren't offered anything!Special Features:
- Special placerunwithitDined on 9/27/2014We were in town to visit our college student for Parent's Weekend. He chose the spot based on recommendations from friends. We arrived a little late and were told that they were behind with reservations. The front of the house staff seemed very harried and somewhat unorganized and maybe were understaffed. We were ushered to the bar for a drink while we waited and ended up sitting outside in a nice courtyard area. The weather was gorgeous so this was very comfortable. My martini was perfect. We were concerned the chaos might be representative of the meal but that was not the case. The tables and atmosphere were very comfortable, our food was excellent, and our server superb despite being very busy. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Bittersweet feelingsDisappointedDined on 9/27/2014Food was incredible and delicious, as always. The waitor- Tony, was incredible and exceeded excellent service. However, I made reservations at 7:30 and was not seated until 8:45. The hostess was not honest about the wait, and did not even provide an option to cancel the reservations. In addition, the floor manager for the night, did not offer anything until we had already paid and were literally walking out of the restaurant. The restaurant and atmosphere is amazing and worth dining for, but management needs to provide better training to the host/ess, who should have provided a realistic, honest timeframe for the wait. This 1 hour and 15 minute wait, made the whole experience less than what it had potential to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was good, but service was not. Although the restaurant wasn't busy, 30 min passed between our arrival for a reservation and seating. More than an hour went by before our first round of drinks and appetizers arrived; two hours until our entrees came out. The restaurant was not busy. I've typically been very happy at this location. This was a very disappointing experience - not to mention I had indicated this was a birthday occasion.
- So so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014Server brought wrong entrées twice and slow in getting drink order. Overall just ok, nothing to wow about.Special Features:
- ❤️RTaylorDined on 9/25/2014Great place, our server was excellent (I can't remember her name, she's from Bulgaria-- absolutely fantastic) and accommodating. Can't ask for a neater building. Pricey, but you know that before you come here. Wonderful wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Chart HouseDarla4hlDined on 9/24/2014Great atmosphere, great food, and great wait staff all make this restaurant a great experience! I highly recommend this restaurant if you are planning a trip to Boston or just want a great place to enjoy with family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CH BostonSEGUINDined on 9/21/2014Really enjoyed the Fire Cucumber Martini, Cucumber Vodka with a rim of Salt Cayenne and Lime Zest! Very RefreshingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch50thcelebrationDined on 9/21/2014We asked for a table with a view, but the windows are high so you really can't see much of the harbor unless you sit outside. The rolls, which we were told needed to be baked, were cold and stale the first time...second request were yummy and warm. The online menu said they served brunch on Sunday and we were looking forward to steak and eggs, lobster omelets, etc. however when we arrived the waitress told us they never served brunch on Sundays and the menu was different than what was shown online. Overall, the food was delicious and special cocktails were tasty and a good size, especially for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night outacarDined on 9/20/2014great spot to celebrate a special occasion, the food was excellent and the wait staff was first class.Special Features:
- Great food but had to wait.APlanteDined on 9/20/2014Despite making a reservation, we waited at least a half hour before we were seated, maybe even longer. The hostess apologized and said a manager would come by our table, but no one did. The food was fantastic, but not sure I'd go back any time soon.Special Features:
- Awsome atmosphere and great foodfunwithfriendsDined on 9/20/2014We decided to celebrate here our Wedding Anniversary with a group of friends. Very pleased with our decision. The food and atmosphere was just perfect.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Everything was wonderful. Especially the birthday touches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappygalHappygalDined on 9/19/2014My boyfriend and I were there for a romantic dinner and to say our dining experience was wonderful is an understatement. The hostess put us at a window table in a corner. Jason our server was extremely attentive, esp when I told him about my mango allergy. The ahi tuna app was one of the best we have had, and the baked shrimp and salmon entrees melted in your mouth. The Bogle sauvignon blanc was a perfect wine for dinner.For couples looking for that "special atmosphere" this is the place. We will definitely come back for another romantic dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentmike492Dined on 9/19/2014Service and food were excellent. Obnoxious customer at the bar before dinner was the only downside, but that's not the restaurants fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedProduceGalDined on 9/17/2014It is too bad that our experience with the food here was so poor because the location and view are great. Crab stuffed mushrooms were so fishy, neither me or my clients would eat them. Our guests barely ate their meals and asked for more bread. Not a great place to take clients or a family that are seeking quality food and a memorable experience in Boston.
- Beautiful & delicious!LisaTVIPDined on 9/16/2014We dined at Chart House recently with an out-of-town guest and had delicious dinners. The spinach and chopped salads were huge, fresh, with great flavor. The fish and scallops were equally fresh and tasty. The ambiance was lovely with exposed brick, beams, and interesting artwork and great light. We were disappointed that there wasn't the harbor view that we expected, although the overall experience was solid.
- Chart House FlagshipOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/15/2014For a chain the food was good to very good. Service slow at lunch, but dinner was okay. Although I did eat very early. Very noisy. I was by myself and they put me by two large groups. Ambience not good. Disappointed. They had a another floor that they could have placed me onSpecial Features:
- pradeepDined on 9/12/2014your waiter makes a difference and your impression of the restaurant. I know this from zillion visits over years and this was no different. Wish it was a good waiterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/11/2014We were rushed out because a party of 90 people was coming soon ! I think in such a case the restaurant should be closed except for the party instead of disappointing other customers. Also, compared to the Cart House Philadelphia, there is no view our from that one. After my memorable experience at the Chart House Philadelphia recently, the contrast was chocking. Bottom line, I'll never go back to the Chart House Boston
- 2nd visit this yearshart43Dined on 9/10/2014Our second time here this year. The service was very fast, almost too fast. The table was ready and there were plenty of other open tables. Oddly, we were seated next to a group. The food was ok. Not really warm enough considering the kitchen was very close to where we were sitting. Had the short ribs/scallops. The ribs were only so/so, scallops were good, potato was barely warm. My wife had fish and it too was just ok. The spring roll appetizers were very good. Still on our list based on past experiences. We first went here 40 years ago. Never base a reatuarant choice on one visit unless it is horrible, not the case here. Just off their game a bit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant I wouldn't Rec.AndyDined on 9/6/2014I made a reservation for 8pm, but wasn't seated until 8:45pm. For the time I waited I went to their bar, ate appetizers and had a few drinks, which is as it turns out why I am giving Chart a high star rating. The bartender there was fantastic, friendly, and checked on our table constantly and reported back the time left. Once we were seated however, the room was hot, loud, the waiter spoke little english, and the food was plain. Very nice place, but the food didn't live up to the expectations...or price.Special Features:
- Never dissappointsjaybeckyDined on 9/6/2014Every trip to Boston in the last 5 years has included a stop at this restaurant. Whether for lunch or dinner, it never disappoints. Makes sure you order the chocolate lava cake when you order as it takes 30 minutes to bake. Will return when I return to Boston!Special Features:
- Mr & MrsDislikeDined on 9/6/2014Food portions small All fish over cooked and some not fresh, as it smelled fishy?? very noisy service slow
- RJGJAGVIPDined on 9/6/2014Food was great......waiter lacked personality.....did not put bread plates on tableSpecial Features:
- Birthday dinnerDelraydinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014We had not been to The Chart House for 30 years. There were many choices for dinner that I would have been happy with. Everyone had fish, swordfish and mahi mahi, and everyone loved their food. We washed dinner down with the lava cake! Way to spend my birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnernoankpearlDined on 8/31/2014We celebrated a birthday in a group of seven. With advance notice, the restaurant customized the menus and provided acknowledgement of the "birthday girl" and a special dessert, all of which went over well as a very nice surprise for the guest of honor. Food was delicious and everyone had a great time. The only negative was that the white sangria was described as being moscato-based, which implied that it would be sweet, but instead it was overly tart and acidic.Special Features:
- Chart house in bostonSteakmanDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I were visiting boston for her birthday and we chose the chart house for her birthday dinner. We both had prime rib and it was ok. The sides we had were mashed potatoes, they were dry and we did not eat them. We also had the mushrooms and the green bean, they were also disgusting. The bill was 171$ and we left a 20$ tip. So total over 200$. This meal was worth maybe 60$ not 200$. Also did not even receive a salad. For this kind of money I would expect a better quality meal. I will not recomend this resteraunt nor will I return. The server and service was great and the steaks were cooked well. Wine and drinks were also good. Verypoor sides. We visited del friscos also while we were in boston and they were much better.Special Features:
- water-water-everywhereRussVIPDined on 8/31/2014Food & service good (macadamia crusted fish and lobster stuffed scrod), but two issues. 2 tries at 2 martinis and still no detectable vodka or gin. My date was offered a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, & our waiter said he watched the drinks being made, but I suspect someone has been refilling the bottles with H2O. Our waiter understood that we were low-carb diners by preference by our substitutions, and commented on it, but never mentioned the lobster stuffing was short on lobster and long on bread products. Anyone dining with specialized needs should not rely on menu descriptions. We would certainly return for the ambiance and menu, but next time would choose an (unopened) bottle of wine and would certainly ask more questions.Special Features:
- Always goodEattoomuchVIPDined on 8/31/2014We usually go here a few times per year, mostly for occasions. Food always good. Service is variable, but our last server was outstanding, ask for Bill. He knows the history of the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chart Housepaul1Dined on 8/30/2014Good food, seated immediately, valet parking, great deal for the waterfrontSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John GodleyweejohnnyDined on 8/30/2014Bar staff aggressive. Server too pushy. Starter over cooked. Seafood plater disappointing. Just felt like we were on a money making conveyor belt.
- ExceptionalsldbDined on 8/28/2014The Chart House is beautifully situated on Long Wharf, and the decor is lovely. The food was delicious. The service outstanding. Our waitress overheard that it was my birthday, and a little later, she arrived with a piece of cake decorated with a lit birthday candle. It was such a pleasant and unexpected surprise. Not only that, she had heard me mentioning I didn't like coffee ice cream, so instead of the usual mud cake they serve to customers who are having a birthday, she served a white cake (which was delicious). I would come back for the exceptional food, but it was the exceptional service that I will long remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing its flavor, going downhillbostonisawesomeDined on 8/27/2014Made a reservation for specifically Dine Out week. Hostess seats 3 of us immediately although we were 30 minutes early for reservation. Restaurant is half empty. She seats us near the kitchen door, which is opening in and out constantly and where is the AC on this hot, humid night? I have to get up to ask if our seats could be changed...........wait for hostess to come back upstairs. Our seats are changed, not that much cooler where she puts us, but not near the kitchen door. I ask waitress where the Dine Out menus are. She says we have to ask for them and then has to go back downstairs to get them. Since When do you have to ASK for them? I have been to Flemings, Capital Grille, Oceanaire, Ruth's Chris, did not have to ask.
- Unbelievably good foodPeteDined on 8/25/2014This is the 2nd time I had been here. We came this time for restaurant week, and the food was incredible. The lobster-stuffed scrod was top 5 dishes I've ever eaten. I would absolutely come here again.Special Features:
- Great food, not so good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/24/2014She dropped water on a friend's bag and didn't apologize, starting picking up completed plate as some of our guest was still eating, served coffee before picking up the table (our forth guest just completed his dinner). We had a very loud table beside us which also made the experience less than enjoyable. It was a table of eight people with 4 kids. The kids kept on screaming and banging their forks and spoons. It was really excessive. It’s a shame as the food was really good (I had Salmon whereas my friend’s had the surf and turf). The desert (lava cake) is a must and can easily be shared between four people. I would consider twice before returning here.Special Features:
- Just bad...LocalDined on 8/23/2014We had a reservation at 845, and weren't seated until 940. Then the waiter ignored us but was able check on the other tables around us. When we were final permitted to order it was almost 10. We ordered two glasses of wine, which were forgotten. I had to remind the waiter and finally received the wine after our starters had been finished. Our meal arrived and the food was ok but could not overpower the bad taste in my mouth from the experience. The diners next to us did not even receive the appetizers they ordered. They were offered a free dessert, they didn't want, to make up for it. Similarly we were given wine to make up for the inconvenience of being an hour behind schedule. This was inadequate and unwanted. Don't waste your money!Special Features:
- Bad ExperienceMM1234Dined on 8/23/2014Had open table reservation for 8:15, told it would be 20 minutes late, waited for 45 minutes and left,
- Not geat for business dinnerBusinessDinerDined on 8/23/2014Took out some important clients. Chose Chart House based on reputation. Immediately got the impression if was more.of a casual restaurant. Server was slow. Didn't have the wine we wanted and wasn't willing to work with us on price for our second choice. Didn't have the lobster I ordered. Forgot to take my client's order and was flippant about it after we pointed it out. Service was slow overall. I actually met someone at a bar today who told me they had the same exact experience taking clients there as well the same night I was there. We won't be coming back....and I never write reviews. Felt compelled on this one.Special Features: