Chart House Restaurant - Boston
60 Long Wharf
Boston, MA 02110Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: (617) 227-1576
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sat & Sun 11am - 3pm. Lunch: Monday-Friday 11am - 3pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 3pm - 10pm, Friday & Saturday: 3pm - 11pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 4:30pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Robert Bercume
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Boston
An incredible landmark location on Boston’s Long Wharf, Chart House is situated in the Gardiner Building – the restored 18th-century offices of American Patriot John Hancock. Combine the extraordinary setting with outstanding cuisine & it’s not hard to see why the restaurant is a longtime favorite. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From fresh fish specialties to slow-roasted prime rib, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, Miso Glazed Salmon & Whole Maine Lobster. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines & decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Pato Dining at its finest!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chart House Restaurant - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (121)scenic view (82)romantic (72)good for groups (64)great for outdoor dining (54)fit for foodies (51)notable wine list (40)neighborhood gem (37)great for lunch (27)hot spot (24)late-night find (14)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Perfect night out for two or moreDavisonDined on 11/21/2014Service and attention to detail very good. Waiter, Chris , should be commended for his pleasant demeanor. He even went out to find us a taxi for our ride back to the hotel. Never felt rushed. Would have loved knowing more about the history of the building because it is so unique in the heart of the boston waterfront. Food was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chart House for Husband's BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014We went to Chart House for lunch to celebrate my husband's birthday - my husband and I have a rather a hard-to-please palate and tend to compare every restaurant to the standard set by Mooo (located at XV Beacon, highly recommended). We were pleasantly surprised by the a) location, b) decor, c) exceptional service, and d) the food and beverages. My husband and I both had the crab cake/coconut crunchy shrimp platter and I can say it was truly the best crab cake I had ever tasted. The coconut shrimp were amazing, as well, and it was all served within 20 minutes of being seated and ordering. Please note, we went during a very slow lunch hour; however, we found ourselves out to dinner at Capital Grille later that night and with reservations and having arrived before the dining hall even opened, we still experienced a 30 minute wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinning MasterDinningmasterVIPDined on 11/10/2014We had a great experience. Our server (Stephanie) was wonderful. I have a gluten allergy, and she made several trips back and forth to the chef to assure me that my selection was gluten free. We started with a hummus appitizer, and then split a saled. My wife had the scallops, and I chose the Chilean Sea Bass. Both were delicious. My only advise would be for the bar to stock more gluten free vodkas (ie: Cool River, Titos, Chopin etc.). All and all a memorable dinner, and we will certainly return.Special Features:
- CARLTDined on 11/8/2014I HAVE BEEN GOING TO THIS RESTAURANT FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED IT. LAST SATURDAY, HOWEVER I WAS DISSAPPOINTED. THE ENTIRE EVENING WE FELT VERY RUSHED. OUR WAITER KEPT PRESSING US TO ORDER OUR MEAL. WHEN WE FINALLY GAVE AND ORDERED, WE RECEIVED OUR APPERTISERS VERY QUICKLY, AND BEFORE WE HAD EVEN FINISHED THEM OUR DINNER WAS BROUGHT OUT. OF COURSE I SENT IT BACK, BUT IT WAS BROUGHT OUT AGAIN BEFORE THE TABLE WAS EVEN CLEARED. DISHES WERE TAKEN OFF THE TABLE BEFORE EVERYONE HAD FINISHED THEIR MAIN MEAL. WE ORDERED DESERT AND AFTER IT CAME THE WAITER STAYED A SHORT DISTANCE AWAY AND WATCHED US EAT IT SO HE COULD CLEAR IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. FOR THE TYPE OF MONEY THAT WAS SPENT HERE FOR FOUR PEOPLE THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.Special Features:
- A Place to Make a MemoryLennyDined on 11/7/2014So I have special memories of meals at The Char House. Excellent food, never felt rushed, attentive wait staff (although not hovering). The building has lots of character, and a great location (maybe more special in the good weather and with views of the harbor), valet parking. Smaller portions (healthy size).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- juanVIPDined on 11/7/2014Knowing the Chart House is a chain I went in with low expectations but left following a great meal with my wife. Great setting for a resturant!Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceVIPperfectionDined on 11/3/2014Food was great environment was wonderful service was top notch highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyKathyDined on 11/2/2014Great time valet parking great being that it right on the water front. Inviting host greating us, Jeremy very in formative waiter, good history lesson about the old building. The food yum coconut shrimp, prime rib, lobster all very good. can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would def. recommendFoxsaysVIPDined on 11/1/2014Great place nice view good food and service , I attended on a rainy Saturday night would be great in the summer as it is right on the water, lobsters, crab legs were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mike492Dined on 10/28/2014Excellent and timely service. Fantastic food. This place rarely disappoints.Special Features:
- Nice timeTravelinderDined on 10/27/2014Beautiful setting in a historic building. Food was overall very good but my mahi was a bit dry. It was not a busy night. Service was good. Will try them again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for improvementFooderificDined on 10/26/2014This restaurant was nice and we had a great time but a few things that stood out as room for improvement. The temperature... We walked in and It was about 77 degrees. We adjusted eventually but it was a bit stuffy at first and our waiter was sweating bullets. The food: we wanted oysters and one of the fish dishes for dinner but they were out of both. The comped our replacement appetizer and dessert but I was disappointed we couldn't get our original choices. Missing one item we ordered is ok... But two is borderline unacceptable. The fish dish we received as a replacement was a bit basic.... I believe it was haddock. Having said that, the waiter and manager couldn't be nicer and were so apologetic. The place was charming and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ManagementOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/25/2014This restaurant is quite charming and the food is also not bad but the management is horrendous. We made a reservation and were seated about an hour after our reservation time. No one gave us a clear answer as to how long we had to wait or what the reason was for the delay. The table service was also poor with drinks taking 30 minutes and entrees over an hour. A simple dinner took 3.5 hours and we all left disappointed and frustrated with the whole situation. The management at this place needs a lot of work for a place that charges $30-40 a plate. I regret not walking a few hundred feet to Legals.
- Service? Drinks?teeteeDined on 10/25/2014Waiter started by telling us we were going to receive excellent service - that there were three people who were on the floor ready to serve us. We had to remind them for bread, more coffee, etc. They didn't come to the table and ask if we were all set. Manager came by once, but it's the waiters/waitress that weren't on top of their game. DRINKS were poor. Two sips and it was over. Small glass with a lot of ice and filled only half way. We asked for baked potatoes instead of mashed and got a $2.99 charge per change.
- Good meal - Good funTheBigEDined on 10/25/2014We had a marvelous time at the Chart House. Victoria, our server was knowledgeable and directed us towards those options best for is. And she ensured that we were satisfied without hovering. It was a very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Experince at Chart HouseJohnDined on 10/19/2014my wife and me invited our guest in the resturant , we got execellent treatment , very unique enviromental house , the waiter is very nice and professional , recommend wine , food appropriately to you . food tast is delicious and special . I believe all people will love it if they have dinner or lunch here . definitely come here again and highly recommend to firnds this is nice place for dinner and is worht of trying. Thanks agin. JohnSpecial Features:
- Always a great place for friendsMitziDined on 10/18/2014I am never disappointed at Chat House. We went there with another couple, and they really enjoyed the building, and the food. I had the Chillean Sea Bass with cranberries and it was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceEconRonDined on 10/18/2014WE had not been to the Chart House for several years and we went on Saturday night.We had drinks in the bar area first, very nice.. busy, but got waited on promptly. Good list of drinks and cocktails. Then the four of us had a nice dinner in the main dining room. We all had prime rib, excellent and cooked as we wanted. The sides were great too!Special Features:
- Not as expectedBillVIPDined on 10/15/2014While the Chart House is well known for good food and service, we were somewhat disappointed. The server was likely the problem. First we noticed that all of the tables around us had bread provided and we had to ask for some. Then when the food arrived the potatoes were cool and while the meat was good, it was just warm.Special Features:
- What I'd expectItsajoytodineVIPDined on 10/15/2014The Charthouse Boston is in a charming location on Long Wharf. The ambience, food, and beverages are what I'd expect, excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great serviceLonecatDined on 10/14/2014Food was excellent and service including valet parking was over the topSpecial Features:
- SecretUndoneDined on 10/14/2014Food was excellent and the Kale and Butternut squash salad was super. We are light eaters and shared the surf and turf entree between myself and my date. Still I was a little disappointed that the "surf" was a serving of just two scallops. The braised beef was perfect however and, otherwise the ambiance and views are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservationsJohnDined on 10/11/2014Had 7:30 reservations. Arrived at 7:15. Did not get a table until 8:20. Did see two couples get upset and leave. Didn't really matter to us because we were enjoying our time in the bar. Would have been upset if we were really hungry, or had somewhere else to be. Service was great at the bar even though the bartenders were slammed due to a large wedding party. Our waiter was excellent, and the food was outstanding. We have been to Chart Houses all over the country, even some that no longer exist (St. Croix). Still our favorite restaurant. Please consider opening one in Nashville Tennessee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday ChoiceMorganGVIPDined on 10/11/2014We went for my grandpa's birthday and they made us feel special since mentioned in reservation! Had table and separate menu and treat for us. The ChartHouse has definitely stepped up in going beyond the basic food with some of their entrees but that being make you check out the entrees if you are picky in how you like your fish cooked. If you are willing to try something new, go for it! Everyone at my table left full and pleased. Service was great, wine was great and my ahi tuna was cooked PERFECTLY!Special Features:
- Outstanding experiencebrcasDined on 10/11/2014We showed up early for our reservation and were seated with no hassle at all. Our waiter (Dennis) was fantastic and we totally enjoyed ourselves on a busy weekend. Great food and the old building was awesome.Special Features:
- Very Nice MealStringbeanDined on 10/9/2014This was my second visit to Charthouse Long Wharf, and my wife and I enjoyed our meal. A lively, energetic place in a wonderful location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patio dining with a viewCherVIPDined on 10/9/2014Loved the view, lobster bisque, gazpacho, and ahi tuna. Great people watching!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston's BestOffthechartsDined on 10/8/2014Enjoyed this place, the food, the service and getting the best seat in the house on the second floor. Everything was great and nothing could have been better.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendNettDined on 10/6/2014The service was great. The food was fantastic. There is an large list of chardonnay and wine to choose from. We celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Chart House and it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Great food. Very pricey. Super for a special night.Special Features:
- allbizVIPDined on 10/6/2014Service was excellent as was the food. We were there for lunch and were on our way back to the office in just over an hour, with dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceTheFoodyDined on 10/4/2014Despite excellent service by front of house the server was very poor with no hello, welcome or good-byes. I've been welcomed and felt more appreciated by restaurant staff at fast-food chains.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food!foodieVIPDined on 10/4/2014Food was awesome, service good and I will be returning next time I'm in Boston!
- always love the Chart HousejazzyDined on 10/1/2014We love the Chart House for its food and views. The food was wonderful. Very surprised to find they did not have a view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaryDined on 9/27/2014Food was terrible. go and loved it. Had chowder and mussels. Chowder tasted like they dumped a salt shaker in it and mussels had no taste at all. Sauce they were in was salt water. Will never go back
- DisappointingIggypopDined on 9/27/2014We had reservations but they were still running an HOUR or more late in seating customers with reservations. Unacceptable. We wound up having to eat at the bar so we could eat before 10PM. The food was not hot but at least it was tasty. It made me reluctant to try it again. Most restaurants would have given patrons some kind of gratuity for the excesive wait like free drinks or desserts but we weren't offered anything!Special Features:
- Special placerunwithitDined on 9/27/2014We were in town to visit our college student for Parent's Weekend. He chose the spot based on recommendations from friends. We arrived a little late and were told that they were behind with reservations. The front of the house staff seemed very harried and somewhat unorganized and maybe were understaffed. We were ushered to the bar for a drink while we waited and ended up sitting outside in a nice courtyard area. The weather was gorgeous so this was very comfortable. My martini was perfect. We were concerned the chaos might be representative of the meal but that was not the case. The tables and atmosphere were very comfortable, our food was excellent, and our server superb despite being very busy. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Bittersweet feelingsDisappointedDined on 9/27/2014Food was incredible and delicious, as always. The waitor- Tony, was incredible and exceeded excellent service. However, I made reservations at 7:30 and was not seated until 8:45. The hostess was not honest about the wait, and did not even provide an option to cancel the reservations. In addition, the floor manager for the night, did not offer anything until we had already paid and were literally walking out of the restaurant. The restaurant and atmosphere is amazing and worth dining for, but management needs to provide better training to the host/ess, who should have provided a realistic, honest timeframe for the wait. This 1 hour and 15 minute wait, made the whole experience less than what it had potential to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was good, but service was not. Although the restaurant wasn't busy, 30 min passed between our arrival for a reservation and seating. More than an hour went by before our first round of drinks and appetizers arrived; two hours until our entrees came out. The restaurant was not busy. I've typically been very happy at this location. This was a very disappointing experience - not to mention I had indicated this was a birthday occasion.
- So so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014Server brought wrong entrées twice and slow in getting drink order. Overall just ok, nothing to wow about.Special Features: