Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria
One Cameron Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: 7036845080x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jeff Paul Lewis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria
Located in historic Old Town Alexandria behind the Torpedo Factory, Chart House is the area’s only waterfront dining location. It boasts panoramic views of the Potomac River, Woodrow Wilson Bridge & the U.S. Capitol Building. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From fresh seafood specialties to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, New Wave Surf & Turf & our slow roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines, & decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Waterfront dining at its best!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
668 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (553)special occasion (418)romantic (296)great for outdoor dining (249)good for groups (203)great for brunch (162)great for lunch (159)neighborhood gem (135)fit for foodies (132)notable wine list (111)hot spot (81)kid-friendly (65)vibrant bar scene (57)late-night find (55)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Table service, as always, was great. From server to busboys, the dining room staff is fantastic. You should pay them MORE! We were early by 1/2 hour for our reservation and told hostess that we could wait if needs-be. However, it seemed like we were interrupting their day, even with reservations, we got "the face." The rice that came with Rainbow Trout was *way* under cooked. Which is unusual since 99% of your dishes are fabulous. We come here often so will not let rice & a cold reception keep us away. Raw oysters on the 1/2 shell, made a wonderful birthday gift.Special Features:
- NoisyLancastrianDined on 9/13/2014We arrived at 12:15pm on Saturday. There were 4 of us, and conversation was easy. After an hour, the restaurant was full, and for our last hour we could hardly hear one another. Since the purpose of the visit was to reconnect two couples that hadn't been together in almost a year, the inability to communicate was very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE IT!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Every time I go, I fall more and more in love with the Chart House. From the wait staff to the food to the view. I was able to introduce 4 of my friends to this neighborhood gem and although it rained, the scenic view was made that much more beautiful by it. Thank you!!!Special Features:
- Waste of moneyClrvsDined on 9/12/2014We were very disappointed with our experience and we will not be going back. Portions of the meal were so bad as to be inedible and even when replaced with other items the replacement was equally bad (lukewarm, overcooked). Service was extremely slow as well and for an 8:15 reservation we were served entrees and 9:40 and had to leave before finishing. Appetizer was also poorly conceived (spaghetti in a spring roll?!) and had LOTS of pieces of lobster/crab shells inside. Overall we are very sorry we spent the money and we will not be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful!FouadDined on 9/12/2014A fabulous experience from reservations to dessert! Our server Connie was friendly, attentive and very knowledgeable about the menu items. We dined watching riverboats float lazily up and down the Potomac and people meandering along the boardwalk. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the view cannot be beatChuckieDined on 9/12/2014The Chart House in Alexandria is a special occasion restaurant. We dine there every 3 or 4 months. Unbelievably, we are seated at the same window table which has lovely views of the Potomac River and the downtown Washington skyline. Service is always attentive but not obtrusive and the courses arrive in timely fashion. We always have one of the wide assortment of seafood dishes and sometimes enjoy the lava cake for dessert. Altogether a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Bad ServiceunhappydinerDined on 9/11/2014I was absolutely amazed at the poor service. This is a restaurant I frequent and have always recommended. However, I am going to rethink my choices in the future. My waiter was inattentive and never came back to the table to take care of my needs. I waited for a drink order and had to remind him of the order. After taking the order, the waiter never came back to the table until we were about to leave. I ordered dessert of which I intended to enjoy at my table. He boxed it up and I decided to take my dessert and leave. I had the courtesy to leave him a tip of 15% which should have been zero. I passed the manager on the way out and he never bothered to even nod goodbye. It was my husband's birthday. Such a disappointment.Special Features:
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014It was amazing that they personalized the menu for us wishing us a happy anniversarySpecial Features:
- Great View & FoodBeachGirl70Dined on 9/8/2014Went there for lunch as an office luncheon and everyone was pleased. All enjoyed their food and the view. The service could have been better. The waiter wasn't very friendly and seemed rushed when there weren't many people in the restaurant at the time. I would definitely go back for dinner and would hope that the service would be better in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the ChartsAllanNanceVIPDined on 9/6/2014It was a rainy night in Old Town Alexandria and the Chart House was a welcome sanctuary. We enjoyed natures light show, the boats on the Potomac River, and then the food and drinks. We both had seafood of course, the snapper special, mixed seafood grill with fresh vegetables and orzo. Well worth the high prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/6/2014Food was good. Wish we were notified that the a/c was not working. We sweated through most of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerMysticDined on 9/6/2014Absolutely beautiful restaurant. The scene was breathtaking and the waiter was top notch. This restaurant is top of the line........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diningexperienceDined on 9/6/2014This was my first time dining at the Chart House and it was a great experience. The atmosphere was relaxed. The food was delicious, service was great. I will come back.Special Features:
- Service left a bit to be desiredDMVDinerDined on 9/5/2014We were seated as soon as we walked in the door... and then waited and waited and waited to be acknowledged by the waitstaff. He seemed rushed, and didn't provide the level of service I'd expect for white cloth, $30/pop entrees. Perhaps if we had a different server, we would have left feeling a bit more positive about dropping $120 on dinner. We had to ask twice to have water refilled... and didn't ever order second drinks for fear of how long it would take.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with a beautiful viewFoodieluvDined on 9/5/2014I took my husband here for the first time to celebrate his birthday. I indicated it was his birthday while making the reservation. When we sat the server came over and wished him a happy birthday and handed us menus with happy birthday printed on the top if the menu. I thought that was a nice touch. The view in the downstairs seating area is breath taking. It reminded me of being on a cruise with water all around you. The ambience is dark and romantic with just enough noise to be vibrant. Lastly, the food was great. My husband had the prime rib and loved it. He is hard to please when it comes go his steak so I was happy that I had made the right choice since it is not one of our usual places we choose for steak. Overall, we loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kudos for return of cell phoneAlexDinerDined on 9/1/2014Dinner was well presented and the food was good. The booth and view were beautiful. Special thank you for securing and returning my cell phone. The restaurant secured it and returned it the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 year AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2014My husband and I celebrated our 1 year Anniversary on 9/1/14 and everything I needed them to do thet did and more. Plus this is my husband's favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch restauraunt,awesome viewSeafoodieDined on 9/1/2014The food,atmosphere,serving staff and view at Chart House in Alexandria, Va is definately something you should exprience if you can. It's top notch and it doesn't get much better than this !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True waterfront diningDaleDined on 9/1/2014There are a lot of seats available at this restaurant to sit either by a window overlooking the water, or outside. Either way, it's a beautiful view. Fresh tasting iced tea, delicious cream of crab soup and the Chicken Francese Sandwich made my lunch very enjoyable. Service was first rate, as always when I visit any Charthouse restaurant.Special Features:
- Always Great!!!foodie0914Dined on 8/31/2014You can NEVER go wrong by dining at the Chart House, Old Towne Alexandria, VA! Service is always great and the food, well what can I say? The food is the best! Our waitress was outstanding, we never had to ask for anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The food was exceptional. Everything was full of good flavor and taste. Having a great view while eating made it even better. If I could afford it, I would come here every week!Special Features:
- Waiter and Food were OUTSTANDING...FoodyDined on 8/31/2014...BUT, the service at the front desk left a lot to be desired. I had made reservations two weeks ago for me and my Bridesmaids (a total of seven of us) ... well, we were initially seated at a table that sat six (yes, six) people and when we asked to be moved to a larger, roomier table, the "hostess" (I suppose that was her role) said it could not be done and that we needed to talk with the front desk. Well, when we went to the front desk, we were given another table, but not "willingly". It seemed as if we were causing them to be inconvenienced --- and, considering I dropped over $700 that day, I find that very unfortunate. The best part was our waiter ... he was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableHealthyChoicesDined on 8/31/2014I always enjoy the food, service and view when I come here for any occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for special occassionsiammyownmannequinDined on 8/31/2014went here for my boyfriend's birthday and we got the window seating. awesome scenic view by the bay. the service was good and staff are friendly. this is a place that you would like to go on special occassions and/or splurge on good food. a little pricey but the food is delicious! they have brunch special which is fitting for someone on a budget. i would advice for you to make a reservation since it gets a little crowded. two thumbs up for this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeatherVIPDined on 8/30/2014First time dining at a Chart House Restaurant. Great location on the water, excellent food. Would definitely return!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Good food but noise level very high. Lots of families with young children (including a set of newborn tripletts)
- Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014I very much enjoyed my evening out at the Chart House. Great scenery and atmosphere. The food was great, as well as the service. If dining after 6pm on the weekend, definitely make a reservation. The restaurant fills up quickly and, because of the great view and atmosphere, the table turnover rate is slow.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014The service was not as good as I expected. Waiter seemed preoccupied. Had to ask for bread plates after bread basket put on table. One seat at our table seemed to be the "go through" spot for staff. It was a bit disruptive to make way, especially since the person seated behind us had her chair out too far and no staff (kindly) asked for her to scoot closer to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday treatAlexDinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014A great place to spend a birthday. As always, food was wonderful, service was just right, and it was a nice night out.Special Features:
- Best meal at Chart House4oldfriendsDined on 8/30/2014Over the years, I have eaten at Chart House, Alexandria, many times. This was by far the best meal I've ever had there! The trout was cooked to perfection and my dining mates agreed. The sweet potato fries were delicious! Desserts (crème brulee and apple crisp should have been warmer when served but were very good).Special Features:
- Return to Chart HouseDanandLindaDined on 8/30/2014We return to Chart House every time we visit Alexandria. Great views of the Potomac, wonderful wait staff and yummy food made for an enjoyable late lunch. This was our first lunch visit, and we were delighted to find great seafood items on the menu. Overall, a very enjoyable meal. We recommend the blue crab dip with crostini for an appetizer, but be careful, it's very filling!Special Features:
- DC BoaterJosephDined on 8/30/2014We arrived by boat and paid $20 to dock the boat. Its super convenient to go to the Chart House for boaters on the Potomac River.Special Features:
- Thank youMarieDined on 8/29/2014My river view table was a treat that my visiting relatives enjoyed. They were also very taken by the waitress , who was very enchanting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NewintownDined on 8/29/2014Excellent service, excellent view, excellent location, and excellent food. Crab cakes, salmon, and key lime pie were all superb. Our out-of-town guests were very pleased and we had a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charthouserussianhouseDined on 8/29/2014Overall very enjoyable evening. Food was very good as was the ambiance. Waiter and other staff very responsive and attentive to our needs and the management team friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Always Nice to Come toGeraldDined on 8/29/2014This last visit was very nice. The staff and the food is outstanding. But, this time the waitstaff wasn't up to par. We waited a little longer than other times and it wasn't that busy to wait for our lunch. Otherwise all was great.Special Features:
- Lunch was goodfoodnymphDined on 8/28/2014The service, ambiance and view were excellent. The crab cakes were delicious and those tiny fries crunchy. I was not impressed with the gazpacho due to its strong acidity. And the spinach salad was odd in that the spinach was chopped finely.Special Features:
- Great for special occasion!JodyDined on 8/27/2014I had a small family birthday dinner there this week. Our waiter was very friendly and attentive, yet not obtrusive. We got seated at a window table that was just magical. Since we did not go with the anticipation that this restaurant was for foodies (it's more the ambiance/view), we were pleasantly surprised. I ordered a lobster tail and caesar salad. Both were prepared well and were very good, though I'm not sure that really was a cold water lobster. Seemed more like a warm water tail, but it was very enjoyable. My older son, who is an executive chef, arrived later and ordered a salad and oysters. He said they were good; enjoyed them. Overall, a very nice dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service makes all the differenceWoodpileDined on 8/27/2014We had a less than good experience here 2 weeks ago but decided to give it another go because of the outdoor seating and seafood. Our waiter Calvin made all the difference this time. He was attentive--didn't have to flag anyone down to refill our water glasses. Food was good. Think I'll be able to get my hubby there more often...as long as we can have Calvin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Great service too, but that is about all. The barramundi was dry and covered in sauce that looked like a cat threw up on it. I judge a restaurant by its creme brulee and this one fell significantly short. It wasn't even a quarter of an inch thick and the sugar was burned (I know, it's torched but this was too much to the the point of being bitter) and I had to send it back. I would not go back here, nor would I recommend it to a friend.Special Features: