Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria
One Cameron Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: 7036845080x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jeff Paul Lewis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria
Located in historic Old Town Alexandria behind the Torpedo Factory, Chart House is the area’s only waterfront dining location. It boasts panoramic views of the Potomac River, Woodrow Wilson Bridge & the U.S. Capitol Building. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From fresh seafood specialties to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, New Wave Surf & Turf & our slow roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines, & decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Waterfront dining at its best!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
653 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (540)special occasion (416)romantic (287)great for outdoor dining (240)good for groups (205)great for lunch (152)great for brunch (148)neighborhood gem (142)fit for foodies (139)notable wine list (105)hot spot (79)kid-friendly (59)vibrant bar scene (55)late-night find (51)Show More
- LOVE CHART HOUSEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014THIS IS THE FOURTH CHART HOUSE I'VE EATEN IN AND THEY ARE CONSISTENTLY GOOD AND IN GREAT SCENIC LOCATIONS.Special Features:
- Chart HouseDinearoundDined on 9/27/2014Fantastic overall experience. Outstanding service, menu, atmosphere and food was delicious. Had a great table By the window view of the water. We arrived at 9pm after The Washington Nationals win over The Marlins. Was a the best way to celebrate. Go NATS!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMosbyDined on 9/27/2014We were yjere on a Saturday. Very Busy but service/servers were very good. Food excellentSpecial Features:
- I can say I've been...FoodieNYCDined on 9/27/2014I made reservations well in advance but didn't realize until I arrived that outdoor seating is first come first serve. Off season Saturday night was an hour wait so I opted for indoor seating, three rows away from the window. The wine list was decent but needed to promt the waiter for what beers were on tap. The limited beer option was followed by the limited wine options if you only wanted a glass. Our waiter was more than polite but I felt like he was rushed in answering my questions. He served my tablemate my wine and vice versa which we determined after we had each taken a sip. Oysters on a half shell were yummy but there was no options to choose from. Dinner was good but our waiter swung by, asked how it was and left before we replied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceAlexandria929Dined on 9/27/2014I loved the food, it was excellent. However, the restauruant was loud, crowded and chaotic at 6pm on a Saturday night, and the bathroom was a mess. and our waiter was very friendly but harried. It was 2 hours before we actually got our entrees. This didn't seem to be the waiter's fault, they may have been understaffedSpecial Features:
- ServiceAlexDined on 9/27/2014Waiter barely spoke English, unfamiliar with many items. He also wouldn't bring out the entree until he cleared the appetizer which I asked to stay on the table. Entries were sitting under heating lamp for over 30 minutes. However the manager was accommodating, recooked our entrea and took them off bill in addition to getting us new waiter. However this shouldn't have occurred in the first placeSpecial Features:
- View 10, Food 1OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Though I have never had a good meal here, the view on most days more than makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit....Love2DineDined on 9/26/2014Hello, Nicole and I visited Chart House together for the first time on January 17th; my 48th birthday. The food, ambiance and service was absolutely perfect. On our recent visit, the calamari & friends was tasteless and we sent it back. Nicole's mixed seafood dish; the fish was hard, overcooked and she had to request another. The second one was fine. We were looking forward to this evening as we really had a beautiful experience, the first time. Nicole was really looking forward to this visit and had been saying for weeks now; "We have to make time to go back to Chart House." We were both very disappointed, however we may eventually again revisit Chart House, as Nicole really likes the ambiance. Thanks, Brian & NicoleSpecial Features:
- Not the Best VisitpeterackDined on 9/26/2014For this visit we were sat, it felt like we had been there awhile before our server noticed us. He then proceeded to tell us that he would be available to take our food and drink order...and then left, without taking a drink order, for ANOTHER five minutes. Unfortunately he was a conversational type specifically a table away from us...with attractive women, thus he rarely paid attention to us. I constantly had to flag him down to order something or get a refill. Add in a clueless, uncaring hostess who allowed other patrons practically sat with us as they waited for their table and the capping off of the evening by a restroom visit where I discovered a homeless man taking a bath in the sink! Not the way I planned to spend our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedKevinDined on 9/26/2014Used to love it here. They have drastically cut back on portion seafood size. $30.00for 5 oz of fish totally not worth it. Our food came out at different times and I had to send my Prime Rib back because it was cold and obviously it was sitting in the window for a long time. Manager came out and dropped off anew Prime Rib, but , didn't even offer a free drink for the hassel. Probably will not go back again.Special Features:
- First time a winnerJCinDCDined on 9/26/2014This was my first time at the Chart House. On a busy Friday night our table outside was ready within 15 minutes. Both the menu selection and the wine list give you much to choose from but are not overwhelming. I ordered Chilean sea bass. My wife ordered ahi tuna. Both were exemplary. The service was not quite as attentive as we might have hoped, but later we agreed that our waiter saw we were enjoying ourselves and decided to give us some space. The view of the Potomac and National Harbor is quite enjoyable, especially at sunset. Overall, we had a great time. I will say the prices are a bit high to make this a regular dining choice.Special Features:
- the food isn't worth talking aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014Only plus was the dessert "lava cake" very good. However, run of the mill appetizers and dips. The main dish was just fish and rice in a plate. Didn't wow me when it came out and didn't leave any interesting flavors on my palette. Although the view from where we sat was nice. Would go back for dessert only!!!Special Features:
- HerbertDined on 9/25/2014Excellent food but rather pricey, probably due to the river view. Most seafood entrées were over $32, which is higher than the norm in the Old Town area.Special Features:
- Disappointment at a priceWhineandDineDined on 9/24/2014The quality has fallen way off over the year's we've dined there. The service was impersonal and the waiter was always trying to sell us something extra. He seemed to be dropping off out stuff on his way to something more important. My scallops were mushy (frozen?), Other's fish dishes were OK an for a place in the Nation's capital that advertising itself as a seafood restaurant without a whole Maine Lobster on the menu - very disappointing! The prices were well in excess of the quality. For $35 I expect something fresh and well well prepared. On the plus side, they do have a nice view of the Potomac River for most tables.
- BandJDined on 9/24/2014Had a superb time, and retain fond memories firmly founded in our palates. Chart House is definitely the premiere dining venue in historic Alexandria.Special Features:
- Another Great Dinner!VIPDinerVIPDined on 9/23/2014Another great dinner at Chart House! We celebrated our 30th anniversary there and the evening was perfect. Great view, great menu, great food, and great service, all at a reasonable price! Perfect!Special Features:
- Not so freshAJ10Dined on 9/22/2014For a place that specializes in seafood and with its proximity to the ocean, one would think they could not mess up fish--yet they do. The food was mediocre at best, and the service did not compensate for the poor quality. They appeared to be understaffed and very unattentive.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant, Great LocationNeighborDined on 9/21/2014It's a great restaurant in a great location with good choices on the menu. The waiter, Ken, was excellent. We enjoyed our dinner and glad it was quieter than normal, beautiful evening, great table we had. Would recommend for others to come on a date and enjoy the dining here.Special Features:
- BeachGirlDined on 9/20/2014We had a wonderful meal. It was. as usual, very enjoyable. It was my birthday, and I really enjoyed spending in your restaurant. Thank you chart House.Special Features:
- Quiet Romantic dinner on deckYummyDined on 9/20/2014I took my boyfriend to chart house because I always have a wonderful experience on the deck. It was quiet and our waiter was excellent. He was funny, knowledgable and helpful with out being intrusive. We took our time and enjoyed wine, appetizers, dinner and dessert (that lava cake is awesome). They did bring me the wrong fish for my order and the manager came out and apologized. They quickly brought my dinner (after I had eaten 1/2 of my boyfriend's dinner). I did not mind at all because the ambiance was so wonderful with the water, boats, lights and breeze. It was also quiet and private enough that we could have a romantic conversation and no one would overhear.Special Features:
- Great experienceFoodieMooneyDined on 9/20/2014My boyfriend wanted to dine some place with spectacular views of the Potomac. I suggested the Chart House as it's been a long time favorite for years. We had a blast! Very romantic elegant dining experience. We will be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RicksDined on 9/20/2014Food was good, but not great like i remembered. Service was not good at allSpecial Features:
- gnealevangDined on 9/20/2014The prices are a little to high for thing but a special occasion but it's a great experience when we attend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful42strongDined on 9/20/2014Good food, good service, and the view of the Potomac was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationSmiley62Dined on 9/20/2014I really enjoyed everything about the Chart House & will go again at the drop of a hat, on someone else's dime :).Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2014The quality of the salad bar was not the same. The dressing was behind other items at the bar and everyone was dripping the dressing on other veggies on the bar. My lobster tail was dry . The last time I had lobster there it was also dry. We were placed beside a large birthday party. We could not here each other talk. I ordered a baked potato with butter and sour cream. I received bacon on my potato, that is how load the noise was. The waiter could not here me.Special Features:
- Great Food and View!JimCVIPDined on 9/20/2014Four of us -- three of whom were celebrating birthdays had dinner on a Saturday night. We received special menus with birthday wishes and the manager met us when we entered (I had notified them in advance of the birthdays.) We had a special table by the window and great service initially -- later as it got busier, our server got side-tracked by the other tables he was responsible for. We had to ask to see the wine list after we had a glass of prosecco to start -- and ask for the coffee dessert menu. But the food and view were terrific and the restaurant tried to make sure our evening was very enjoyable! We have been here many times and have recommended to many others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best wine, and food I have hadWineanddineDined on 9/19/2014We came for a birthday, our table was ready right away, the wine recommendation was great, and their were options for everyone, I had an amazing experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change in ReservationWithSassDined on 9/19/2014Arrived early and was quickly provided a table with a view. Our waiter, Justin, was informative and very attentive. Good was out of this world - do try the calamari and sea bass; clam chowder is the best I've every had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad foodstatatDined on 9/17/2014My wife and I have been to the Chart House for many years and never had a bad meal as we did last Wednesday evening. We both had the 12 oz. Certified Angus Beef sirloin marinated and the meat had the consistency of straw and no flavor whatsoever. VERY disappointing. We hope that this was just a single occurrence and that the main chef will return before too long.Special Features:
- Great dinnerAlexandriaLocalVIPDined on 9/16/2014I love this restaurant primarily because of its location and view. Service by Allison was excellent and she was very attentive to our needs. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary CelebrationswmboVIPDined on 9/14/2014We celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary and had a great first-time experience. We were seated in the window, our waiter was attentive but not intrusive, and the food was very good. We live in the neighborhood and will be back.Special Features:
- Love the viewviohowDined on 9/14/2014We had brunch outdoors and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food was good and the view was good. The choices for brunch are good and the food was very good. I recommend it.Special Features:
- LocalLoyalsDined on 9/13/2014Table service, as always, was great. From server to busboys, the dining room staff is fantastic. You should pay them MORE! We were early by 1/2 hour for our reservation and told hostess that we could wait if needs-be. However, it seemed like we were interrupting their day, even with reservations, we got "the face." The rice that came with Rainbow Trout was *way* under cooked. Which is unusual since 99% of your dishes are fabulous. We come here often so will not let rice & a cold reception keep us away. Raw oysters on the 1/2 shell, made a wonderful birthday gift.Special Features:
- NoisyLancastrianDined on 9/13/2014We arrived at 12:15pm on Saturday. There were 4 of us, and conversation was easy. After an hour, the restaurant was full, and for our last hour we could hardly hear one another. Since the purpose of the visit was to reconnect two couples that hadn't been together in almost a year, the inability to communicate was very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE IT!LondaDined on 9/13/2014Every time I go, I fall more and more in love with the Chart House. From the wait staff to the food to the view. I was able to introduce 4 of my friends to this neighborhood gem and although it rained, the scenic view was made that much more beautiful by it. Thank you!!!Special Features:
- Waste of moneyClrvsDined on 9/12/2014We were very disappointed with our experience and we will not be going back. Portions of the meal were so bad as to be inedible and even when replaced with other items the replacement was equally bad (lukewarm, overcooked). Service was extremely slow as well and for an 8:15 reservation we were served entrees and 9:40 and had to leave before finishing. Appetizer was also poorly conceived (spaghetti in a spring roll?!) and had LOTS of pieces of lobster/crab shells inside. Overall we are very sorry we spent the money and we will not be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful!FouadDined on 9/12/2014A fabulous experience from reservations to dessert! Our server Connie was friendly, attentive and very knowledgeable about the menu items. We dined watching riverboats float lazily up and down the Potomac and people meandering along the boardwalk. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the view cannot be beatChuckieDined on 9/12/2014The Chart House in Alexandria is a special occasion restaurant. We dine there every 3 or 4 months. Unbelievably, we are seated at the same window table which has lovely views of the Potomac River and the downtown Washington skyline. Service is always attentive but not obtrusive and the courses arrive in timely fashion. We always have one of the wide assortment of seafood dishes and sometimes enjoy the lava cake for dessert. Altogether a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Bad ServiceunhappydinerDined on 9/11/2014I was absolutely amazed at the poor service. This is a restaurant I frequent and have always recommended. However, I am going to rethink my choices in the future. My waiter was inattentive and never came back to the table to take care of my needs. I waited for a drink order and had to remind him of the order. After taking the order, the waiter never came back to the table until we were about to leave. I ordered dessert of which I intended to enjoy at my table. He boxed it up and I decided to take my dessert and leave. I had the courtesy to leave him a tip of 15% which should have been zero. I passed the manager on the way out and he never bothered to even nod goodbye. It was my husband's birthday. Such a disappointment.Special Features: