Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria
One Cameron Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: 7036845080x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jeff Paul Lewis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria
Located in historic Old Town Alexandria behind the Torpedo Factory, Chart House is the area’s only waterfront dining location. It boasts panoramic views of the Potomac River, Woodrow Wilson Bridge & the U.S. Capitol Building. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From fresh seafood specialties to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, New Wave Surf & Turf & our slow roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines, & decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Waterfront dining at its best!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
704 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (586)special occasion (443)romantic (320)great for outdoor dining (261)good for groups (203)great for brunch (171)great for lunch (160)fit for foodies (127)neighborhood gem (125)notable wine list (105)hot spot (77)kid-friendly (72)late-night find (54)vibrant bar scene (49)Show More
- Lunch was goodfoodnymphDined on 8/28/2014The service, ambiance and view were excellent. The crab cakes were delicious and those tiny fries crunchy. I was not impressed with the gazpacho due to its strong acidity. And the spinach salad was odd in that the spinach was chopped finely.Special Features:
- Great for special occasion!JodyDined on 8/27/2014I had a small family birthday dinner there this week. Our waiter was very friendly and attentive, yet not obtrusive. We got seated at a window table that was just magical. Since we did not go with the anticipation that this restaurant was for foodies (it's more the ambiance/view), we were pleasantly surprised. I ordered a lobster tail and caesar salad. Both were prepared well and were very good, though I'm not sure that really was a cold water lobster. Seemed more like a warm water tail, but it was very enjoyable. My older son, who is an executive chef, arrived later and ordered a salad and oysters. He said they were good; enjoyed them. Overall, a very nice dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service makes all the differenceWoodpileDined on 8/27/2014We had a less than good experience here 2 weeks ago but decided to give it another go because of the outdoor seating and seafood. Our waiter Calvin made all the difference this time. He was attentive--didn't have to flag anyone down to refill our water glasses. Food was good. Think I'll be able to get my hubby there more often...as long as we can have Calvin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Great service too, but that is about all. The barramundi was dry and covered in sauce that looked like a cat threw up on it. I judge a restaurant by its creme brulee and this one fell significantly short. It wasn't even a quarter of an inch thick and the sugar was burned (I know, it's torched but this was too much to the the point of being bitter) and I had to send it back. I would not go back here, nor would I recommend it to a friend.Special Features:
- Unsatisfied CustomerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014I visit the Chart House for special occasions as with this recent visit. The view was lovely as always, however the service was incredibly poor. The waiter served us our initial drinks and didn’t come back to the table for an hour. We did not receive bread, which is always the first thing they serve. We did not receive offers of appetizers nor drink updates. We finally informed the desk manager that the waiter is not to return to our table and that if another waiter is less successful in serving us, we would not be paying. The service did pick up however our steaks were ordered medium rare and come out well done. By the time we were served and finished our meal; 3 hours had passed. I will not be returning to the Chart House.Special Features:
- Romantic Spot on the WaterMistique64Dined on 8/24/2014This restaurant is a must visit if you're looking for something overlooking the water. The ambiance is perfect for a date or anniversary. They also accommodated larger parties. We were only a couple and they tried to make our visit enjoyable from start to finish. We happened to order two items on the menu that they didn't have anymore and to make up for it they allowed us to move to a table in their fire pit room. Definitely one of the best areas in the restaurant. The food was good as well. The grilled fish was done perfectly and it was very moist and flavorful. A lot of customers were getting the salad bar which also looked like it had a good selection.Special Features:
- 75th BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/24/2014We came here for my Father's 75th birthday. Not only was the service excellent, personable, and suited to my Father's old-world service mentality - they went above and beyond! The menus had a printed inscription at the top for our entire party, "Happy 75th Birthday and wishing you many more years of happiness!" and they scroll wrapped them up at the end of the meal for my father to take home as a souvenir. From the food, to the view (every seat of our party of 8 had a view of the water!), to the exceptional service - I was so impressed with ChartHouse - and grateful we decided to celebrate with them! They truly made the experience special, memorable, and most important made my Dad feel amazing!Special Features:
- Tasty Meals but timing is offangus5678Dined on 8/24/2014We had a special dinner for 5. The reservation was fine, we were placed in a very scenic location, the service was fine and our server was very attentive. All our ordered items were well presented and exceptionally tasty. The only flaw in the ointment was that every course was delivered in an almost haphazard fashion - with time differentials of as much as 5 minutes between the arrival of the same items for two different diners. What is particularly distressing is that when we dined, the restaurant wasn't completely filled (like it was when we departed).Special Features:
- Food with little imaginationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2014For a restaurant of this caliber, the menu should reflect some more choices. Too many items with the same sides, sauces. Kitchen is stagnant. Someone needs to train the oyster shucker. It's a shame to shred a good oyster.Special Features:
- WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Our waiter Lewis (I believe that's his name) was just a friendly waiter. He made our dining experience excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere.SridharDined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed the food and the service! We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Won't be returning302RaocDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I were quite disappointed with our dining experience at Chart House Alexandria. We have eaten there several times af over the past years and were satisfied on these occasions . However this time the experience was negative due to an inexperienced and disorganized wait staff, sub-standard food quality and presentation, and a high noise level in the restaurant. We do not plan to visit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Wonderful, simply wonderfulShushYallDined on 8/23/2014Someone who has not lived in the DC or Northern Virginia area for the past 10 years may not appreciate the rarity of a fine restaurant with excellent food, great service and, wonder of wonders, elegant, QUIET ambience. The Chart House manages to deliver it all. It helps that the restaurant was (imagine this) designed for ambience with acoustic dampening materials. The food was excellent, especially the sea bass and swordfish, both of which tasted as if they were caught only minutes before and were perfectly cooked. Awesome salad bar. Caviar on a salad bar? Yes. Perfectly chilled, firm and buttery. Full Caesar salad WITH anchovies, if you like. Great bread. Josh, our server, was personable, efficient, friendly but not intrusive.Special Features:
- Just for looksMelissaDined on 8/23/2014The view and atmosphere was spectacular! The food was just ok. And the service was not great at all. Our waiter seemed on edge and shaky almost. I put in my reservation comment that I wanted a seat by the window and when I got there they admitted that they didn't read my comment and of course had no open seats by the window. Don't put that comment box there on the reservation if u r not going to look at it. Overal I was not very impressed.Special Features:
- Would go back for sure.CappieDined on 8/22/2014I went for restaurant week...I thought it could've been more options to choose from but the over all menu was good. The braised short ribs were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014We went for restaurant week and thought it was great. The portions were large and the food was good (although their regular menu looked better) - would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Rib was amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Food was delicious. However, even with a reservation, we had to wait for our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerJenRDined on 8/21/2014We went to the Chart House during restaurant week for my husband's birthday. Since we both seemed to be compromising to order from the restaurant week menu, we ended up just ordering from the regular menu. We were glad we did!! My husband loved his stuffed shrimp! My stuffed salmonwas delicious! If the waitress hadn't mislead us I the shrimp and crab appetizer we ordered, the Chart House would have received 5 stars! The avocado and mango was not ripe and we were expecting lumps of shrimp and crab meat, not a shrimp and crab salad. We only ordered it because the waitress had recommended it. Other than that, it was a great experience and we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but poor serviceAlexandriaTigerDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I had been looking forward to dinner expecting a tasty meal with scenic views of the Potomac. We were seated at a table not by a window, but we still got a panoramic view. We ate off the Restaurant Week prix-fixe menu, and were pleased by the quantity and quality of food. The only drawbacks were the loud background noise and server who came by three times solely to offer us drinks and another three times solely to push the Landry's Select Club membership card, neither of which we were interested in. It felt tacky enough that I would NOT recommend this or any other Landry restaurant, despite the quality of food. Other nearby restaurants offer views of the Potomac, great food, and waitstaff dedicated to serving, not selling.Special Features:
- A nice timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/20/2014This was an anniversary dinner. I had eaten there before for a retirement party. The waterfront location was perfect. The restaurant has great ambiance and decent food. We would go again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Lovely restaurant, outstanding service, excellent food....BUT there was a large party right next to us and the noise level was beyond deafening. Once they left, we were able to enjoy our dessert and coffee. Wish we had missed them entirely--that would have made this a truly excellent evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Room with a ViewBillofWashingtonVIPDined on 8/18/2014Beautiful restaurant with an amazing view. Our service was friendly and efficient. Food was ok but nothing special. Come here for the ambience and the view. Don't expect fantastic cuisine.Special Features:
- TheSpoonDined on 8/18/2014As the day was a special occasion for my sister, we found the meal and service to be delectable! The added touch to acknowledge her birthday was unexpected, and a touch of class!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceHaileyBDined on 8/17/2014We took visiting family members here for dinner as a special treat. While the food was great, the service was not. Our waitress forgot to put in our appetizer orders, and forgot to bring us bread as well. When our meal arrived, we asked for the appetizers to be canceled. (The manager came out to apologize and boxed up the apps for us to take home, which was a nice gesture.) Our waitress did not come by to check on our food, see if we needed drink refills, etc. None of these are serious problems, but it definitely became a topic of conversation at the table, instead of cheerier things. While the food was delicious, I do not recommend this restaurant for a special occasion, at the risk that the poor service will overshadow the great food.Special Features:
- Bad dining experience2lovedcDined on 8/17/2014I have been here about 5 times and most times were great. My last visit, we received really bad service. We waited 40 mins for bread and cold soup. We complained and received hot soup in 5 mins. Entree was fine when it came out in 1 hour. I will not be going back.Special Features:
- DCinDCDined on 8/17/2014Very helpful, friendly server. Thought the restaurant week menu was a little lacking in imagination, given the many interesting items on the menu, (particularly caesar salad or clam chowder for first course choices.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A memorable evening!FrankADined on 8/17/2014The Chart House was the special spot chosen to celebrate my daughter's 40th birthday and it was a memorable evening. From the wonderful service to the souvenir "Birthday" Menus - tied up in a bow - that my daughter was able to carry home in remembrance of the night. Great food, wonderful wine, and let's not forget the Key Lime Pie for desert all contributed to a great time!Special Features:
- Scenic view with solid foodokbpDined on 8/17/2014Had the filet with stuffed shrimp. The steak was very good with a great sauce. Stuffed shrimp was ok. Had the chocolate lava cake and it was outstanding! The meal was overall solid with a good view of the Potomac river.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014I would come back. The food and service were very good and the scenery was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014Thanks for your excellent seating and beautiful view and the food was delicious ... We really enjoyed everything !👏😃❗️Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014The food was delicious and so was the wait staff but the hostesses were a snooty when I asked for clarification on why they weren't serving restaurant week lunch. They also didn't advertise what they weren't not servingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent OptionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014My experience at the chart house was just ok. My server was nice and efficient, however I wasn't pleased with the fact that the restaurant week lunch special wasn't honored because it was Sunday even though there was no specification online that they wouldn't be serving lunch on Sunday's. Other than that it was a decent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food But Atmosphere Was NotLoveGoodFoodDined on 8/17/2014The food was excellent, but the service was not. Our waiter barely made an apperance and it was difficult to get his attention. While we had an excellent seat overlooking the water, our group of four was crammed between two huge groups and we could not get out of our seats. Despite the negative aspects of our experience, I would highly recommend the Charter House!Special Features:
- Delightful RestaurantdinemasterDined on 8/17/2014The Chart House is an Old Towne Alexandria staple. Great place for any meal and the view of the Potomac river is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist TrapOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Not impressed, other than the view this restaurant is not worth the price. My wife and I went for restaurant week and were disappointed. We had to ask for the "special menu" then once received saw that the selections were uncreative and frankly the cheapest thing the management could chose (baked chicken, pasta, grilled salmon). We chose to order the more expensive entrees and although good were nothing above standards at a lower priced seafood restaurant. If your picking a place in old town skip this restaurant and walk to peer to enjoy the view instead.
- Good TimeMsLadyTDined on 8/16/2014I had a great time, but the service and the food was sub-par this time. I usually have a great time, but I think that is was extremely packed and we did not get the food or the service we were used to. Nevertheless, I love the Chart House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Meal!weekendwarriorsDined on 8/16/2014This place is a must on a visit to Alexandria. The food was extraordinary, the decor was impeccable, the view was breathtaking and the service was flawless. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View!luv2eatfoodDined on 8/16/2014First off the location is AWESOME. Definitely get there 20-30 minutes early before your reservation and ask for a window seat. It is WORTH THE WAIT. I took my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner and have to say I wasn't that impressed with the main courses. The Blue Crab dip was AWESOME but the entrees were not anything special. I had the Mixed Seafood Grill and my shrimp were way over cooked. The portions were a little small and the baked potato looked like it had been hacked in half. If you order a side salad, it was like $7-$8 and it wasn't the impressive. My boyfriend had the Atlantic Salmon which was good but not great. Molten Lava cake: wasn't that spectacular. 5 stars for view/location, service, but 3 stars for food. It was too $$Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Dinner was great! We had the crab tattor tots, filet medalions with stuffed shrimp, and the stuffed salmon. All very delicious. The waiter missed the cue that it was my boyfriend's birthday, but once we told him we got the birthday menu and dessert. We had a window seat at dinner, so it overlooked the water. It was beautiful, especially around sunset time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed FeelingsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014This wasn't my first time at Chart House so I expected exceptional service which I didn't get. IDK if the waiter was new or not but he was not a good waiter at all. Our order was put in wrong on top of being brought out 30-40 mins later. In the interim of waiting, we were never asked if we would like anything to drink from the bar. The manager did bring us an extra side dish and apologized for the mix up. We didn't get to finish our meals so we asked the waiter to box our sides up as well as our main dish. He returned with both our meals packed in one container(we live in separate homes) and our vegetables and potatoes were in a flemsy container that eventually broke by the time we got in the house. The food was great other than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.