Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria
One Cameron Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chart-house.com/
- Phone: (703) 684-5080
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jeff Paul Lewis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria
Located in historic Old Town Alexandria behind the Torpedo Factory, Chart House is the area’s only waterfront dining location. It boasts panoramic views of the Potomac River, Woodrow Wilson Bridge & the U.S. Capitol Building. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From fresh seafood specialties to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, New Wave Surf & Turf & our slow roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines, & decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Waterfront dining at its best!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Chart House Restaurant - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
547 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (446)special occasion (350)romantic (250)good for groups (187)great for outdoor dining (174)fit for foodies (153)neighborhood gem (129)great for lunch (127)great for brunch (114)notable wine list (87)hot spot (65)kid-friendly (51)late-night find (38)vibrant bar scene (37)Show More
- Lovely birthday brunchDine2niteDined on 11/23/2014Pleasant service; not overly intrusive. The French toast was overly crisp and too sweet; it was missing that fluffy eggy center. The brunch buffet has improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafood but...WildblueyonderDined on 11/22/2014The Chart House sits on the end of a dock on King Street in Alexandria with a killer view of the Potomac River and a Gaylord's Resort (complete with a lighted Farris wheel) on the opposite shore. That's a positive. The food is mostly good. My wife and I had seafood which came well-prepared and promptly. Generally, the service was attentive and courteous. On the down side; the waiter spilled a Coke on our table, my sweater and my shoes (I think he comped our after-dinner coffee). Also, my son ordered the prime rib on the kids' menu (medium rare). After he complained about it, I tried a bite. It was the most tasteless piece of meat that I think I ever ate. In fact, I wondered how the chef even managed to make it so bland. Must have taken an actual effort! The Chart House has a salad bar--which seems more at home in a cafeteria than in a white tablecloth, "occasion restaurant." Finally, the place is brightly lit, to the point that it hinders the beautiful views outside the windows at night. Overall, while our Chart House experience was certainly acceptable, there are several other more cozy, candle-lit seafood restaurants along King Street that I would try instead during our next visit to Alexandria.Special Features:
- Chart HouserinermjDined on 11/22/2014We had a great time. Food was really good. Oysters Rockerfeller were wonderful. Chuck was a great server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing short ribsFoodiegirlDined on 11/22/2014We had the crab tater tots- great! Crab dip- ok, spinach salad- ok, rainbow trout- over seasoned, Mahi mahi- bland, short ribs- to die for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend this restaurant for all occasionsKurt2AngiDined on 11/16/2014The food was excellent, service was pleasant, our experience overall is satisfaction, so glad we made it, for your brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchNicholasDined on 11/16/2014Chart House continues a slow decline but the view makes it a decent value still. Salad bar had wilted lettuce and awful tomatoes, my steak and eggs ordered medium was gray all the way through, and the potatoes were over seasoned and reheated. My wife's eggs Benedict was okay, but drowned in sauce by lack of experience. Bloody Mary's were watery and lacked punch. Overall a B minus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply classicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014Chart House in Alexandria is simply an excellent seafood restaurant in a great setting. If you like classic seafood dishes, this is your restaurant. Snapper Hemingway was great, pan seared scallops were excellent. I highly recommend the chopped spinach salad and Dynamite Barramundi. All-around great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chart House has gone way downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2014The last time we dined at Chart House (perhaps 5 years ago), it was wonderful. Our waiter was wonderful, the food was wonderful, everything was just as it should be. This past weekend, however, it was awful. Our waiter was awful, rude, and entirely inattentive. The customers were loud with children running all over the place. The food was not up to the standard it once was. Our table had leaf extensions that kept falling down through out our meal. The food was way overpriced not only for the quality but for the quantity. I've had better food in my own kitchen. My husband and I will not be returning to Chart House.
- Great food and views!KTJM321Dined on 11/15/2014Very nice restaurant. Server was friendly and mahi mahi was delicious! Beautiful water views. "Lighthouse area" was a bit warm with all of the sun coming in, but we bared it for the experience. Overall great lunch experience. Get the crab dip as an appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014The server who took care of us was friendly, smiling and knowledgeable about the menu and he made our experience count, the food was bland (tuna & calamari) the hostess never looked at us or smiled and I think as the first impression she could smile a bit more or could make a genuine effort to make her guests feel comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice riverside viewBusinessReviewerDined on 11/14/2014Very friendly service, good quality food with choices for everyone. Decent wine list, although by the glass is fairly limited. Great view of the river!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/14/2014Although getting the food was a bit slow, the service was still good and the food delicious. We loved how they had my daughter's name printed on the menus for her birthday....that was cool!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, it's an amazing dining experience.MichelleDined on 11/14/2014Our server (Brandon) was phenomenal. He took great care of us, had a sense of humor and made us feel very welcome. We stayed longer than normal to visit but we never felt rushed or not welcome. Nothing but very positive things to say about this amazing restaurant!.Special Features:
- Ultimate ExperienceFirstLadyDivaDined on 11/11/2014My family and I went for my daughters 20th birthday. We had a group of six and it was an ultimate experience from the appetizers to the desert!!! Our wait staff was excellent!!!!! Wonderful restaurant with lots of ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceJeffDined on 11/9/2014Very enjoyable experience. We had the Alaskan king crab legs, fried calimari and ended with the chocolate lava cake. Everything was delicious, the service was friendly and the view over the Potomac was very nice.Special Features:
- Saturday eveningnycmillDined on 11/8/2014Reservations for my party of four to celebrate my wife's 39 birthday. cocktails, to appetizers, to main course was extremely well done. Then again that is to be expected at the Chart house ! Little touches from personalized birthday menu for my wife and the communication between the staff to us made for an awesome evening. The view from our table of national harbor awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View!AnonymousVIPDined on 11/8/2014This is going to be my go-to place for lunch when I have out-of-town guests. The decor is modern, clean and very pretty. But be sure to come for lunch and ask for a window table -- the view of the waterfront is really nice. You can watch the water taxis and paddle boats come in to dock, wedding parties have their pictures taken on the dock, and just generally people watch. The food is very good. Our server was outstanding! I highly recommend the restaurant. This is my third visit. I don't know if they have a Sat or Sun brunch but just lunch is great. If you come for an early dinner, you can watch the sunset. The menu is more extensive at dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice but...meredithDined on 11/8/2014although the location is scenic and the food were good the waiter seemed overly agressive in his attempt to "up sell" us, which wasn't appreciated. Also, there was a large baby shower being held next to where we were sitting so there was a high noise level. I don't blame the celebrants but the restaurant should re-consider hosting a large event in the center of the restaurant during the lunch hour on Saturday.Special Features:
- Consistantly good and predictableluvtoeatDined on 11/7/2014Met for a working lunch and the food was very good and original as my associate had a crab club sandwich which I had never seen on a menu before and it was a hit. My food was also, prepared well and met all of my expectations. The staff knew when to approach and provided excellent service while allowing for the business part of the lunch to occur.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Took the girl i like here for our first date, the wait staff was very attentive, and the blue crab dip was exquisite. the entree was also excellent. It was really loud though and I found that a bit annoying. The food is a bit over-priced in my opinion, but it was excellent. I recommend this place pretty much only for special occasions or if you just have a ton of extra money.Special Features:
- Chart House - not the sameOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/5/2014We do CH 3-4 times a year. This time it seemed like the menu selection was smaller, and the food wasn't as good as it has been in the past. It was still good, but not what it used to be. Our server Kalvin was great. We'll probably give it another shot, but I don't think we'll be taking out-of-town guests there again until we see what happens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife's birthday3thateatDined on 11/5/2014From our waiter,Reginald, who had the absolute best personality and level of attentiveness to the wonderfully prepared food,it was a memorable experience. That coupled with the view was a terrific. We will definitely be returning often. In addition, I would highly recommend joining the Landry frequent dining membership, it more than paid for itself with this meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationGreatDiningDined on 11/4/2014We celebrated by husband's birthday on Tuesday evening at the Chart House. There were 12 of us and we all received individual attention. Our Waiter was very responsive to our needs and the service was great. Everyone enjoyed their meal, portions were sufficient and we had a wonderful time. Thanks Chart House!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for lunch meetingsEnjoyDiningOutDined on 11/4/2014The Chart House is enjoyable for so many reasons which of course starts with the good food, menu choices and friendly service. The restaurant is also a good local place to catch up with friends or meet with colleagues. Great view.Special Features:
- Service and Food were Great!Twin1Dined on 11/2/2014Franz, our waiter, provided phenomenal service! It was our "Sibling's Gathering" and we had a great time. With the exception of some overhead construction noise (which we were forewarned) we spent 3 hours chatting, laughing and being served great food by professional and attentive staff. I recommend Chart House in Alexandria VA to ANYONE looking for a great steak, crab dip and a pleasant ambiance to accompany your meal.Special Features:
- Great salad bar and viewPamRVIPDined on 11/2/2014When we arrived an hour early than our reservation time,the hostess was very gracious & seated us immediately at a lovely window seat/view of the water. The brunch menu included egg dishes with the accompanying salad bar. It is difficult to view it as a "salad bar" as it included so many things - all the regular salad bar "stuff" - Caesar salad with anchovies,field greens,hearts of palm,artichoke heart salad, fresh fruit (fantastic sweet pineapple). It also included bagels, cream cheese, lox, sour cream, caviar, and croissants. I had a crab/asparagus omelet & my partner had the Maryland Benedict both were very tasty & presented beautifully with potatoes. The price was very good for the quality, freshness, & uniqueness of the offerings.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedDisappointedDined on 11/1/2014Our dining experience was not what I had expected from this restaurant. The servers were annoying running pass the tables and jumping up/down the stairs. The food was ok at best. Steak was a little dry and asparagus not seasoned well at all. The final disappointment was I didn't receive any eating utensils with my To Go dessert.Special Features:
- Chart House AlexandriaBeckyDined on 11/1/2014Had a lovely evening at the Chart House. Service was attentive, but not obtrusive. Do not order anything with crab. Sadly, it is mostly filler with crab seasoning. For the price, I would expect better.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceChartHouse1NovDined on 11/1/2014We have been to the Chart House several times over the past 10 years but this is the first time we had been back in almost two years. The salad bar is still one of the best you will find in the area. We enjoyed dinner with a couple of friends and, while the service was slower than usual this time, the food was outstanding. We all had barramundi served grilled or with crab and it was the best we tasted yet! Furthermore, the great view along the waterfront only added to the experience. This place does get busy so we highly recommend reservations.Special Features:
- Excellent food+service = memorableRAfriendsDined on 11/1/2014Our special birthday celebration was made extra special due to the special touches and warmth provided by restaurant and our server. Excellent service and the food was delicious! Our group went at lunch time and were able to be seated at a window table. Every one was pleased with the menu selection and the server helped us in making great selections.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Fantastic Experience!xpect2xperienceDined on 10/31/2014A special VIP guest from Alabama was in town for a conference. He knew I worked in Alexandria and wanted to see Old Town. He asked that I select a place for dinner. Without hesitation, I chose Chart House. Having been there before, every aspect of the dining experience is always impeccable. From the colorful design and atmosphere to the picturesque window view of the Potomac & National Harbor, it leaves little to desire. From the moment we were greeted, escorted to our table, to our introduction by Brandon, our waiter, my guest was VERY impressed. Both entrees were magnificent (he selected the stuffed shrimp and I selected the stuffed flounder), coupled with the incredible endless salad bar. Brandon's attentiveness was flawless. Excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!!Yummy2mytummyDined on 10/31/2014The server's engaged in convo. Response time on getting food and drinks were amazing. The food was great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice View - a bit PriceyAlRob360Dined on 10/30/2014Chart house has a wonderful atmosphere and great views. Happy hour bar drinks were reasonably priced but after that it gets expensive. The best thing there was the crab/mango/avocado stack thing. Best appetizer ever. That was followed by the wonderful salad bar w/caviar. The entrees were good but not great and for the price I kinda expected great. I had the Filets with crab stuffed shrimp again real good but not 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EVENING DININGOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/30/2014The setting was very nice. We enjoyed the atmosphere. The food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchklindb01Dined on 10/30/2014An occasion with family. We enjoyed the clamp soup as a start and enjoyed afterwards the calamities and salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charthouse AlexandriaBusterDined on 10/28/2014Food was fine. Service was very slow for a Tuesday evening. It took 45 minutes to be served. Long waits to order, ask for the bill, put my card with the bill, get the bill back. 2 hours - most of it was spent waiting. Epitaph for a waiter: "By and by, God caught his eye." The waiter talked up a bottle of red wine - "full of wonderful flavours, there's a lot going on with it". Probably the blandest red I have ever had - like a home-made wine (alcoholized Kool-Aid). We felt duped and wondered about the motives for pusing this bottle. I've been to Charthouse before and had decent lunches and meals. Doubt I'll return when there's lots of other selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HulapielvrDined on 10/28/2014Very good food. Great location on the water. I would suggest you make reservations. The lava cake is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful LunchGregDined on 10/28/2014My wife and I enjoyed our 3rd anniversary on the deck for lunch. The service was great and very attentive. The food was good, but was not overly remarkable. We had a wonderful and memorable lunch.Special Features:
- Excellent meal!KamikeaDined on 10/26/2014Our waitress did an excellent job and made recommendations we wouldn't normally have chosen and each one was a huge success. All our food was perfectly prepared and tasted great. No complaints at all....Special Features:
- barbaraVIPDined on 10/26/2014Alway a great experience. We love the restaurant, view of DC and the food was great. Service was very good too.Special Features: