Char's Tracy Mansion
1829 N. Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17102Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Char's Tracy Mansion
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7172134002
- Hours of Operation:
Bar & Library: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm to 10:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Ron Canady
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Gallery, which features the mansion's original fireplace and a private terrace, seats up to 24 people. This room is equipped with internet access for corporate functions.
- Private Party Contact: Shana 7172134002
- Entertainment: Live Music in the sculpture garden Fridays and Saturday nights during the summer, 7-10 pm, weather permitting.
A word from Char's Tracy Mansion
An American Brasserie offering both casual and upscale dining experiences. A place where individuals will feel ‘special’ whether they come for a drink, small plates/dessert, a meeting, or an evening of fine dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Char's Tracy Mansion - Best Restaurants in Harrisburg ›
Char's Tracy Mansion reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (115)scenic view (94)romantic (81)fit for foodies (80)great for outdoor dining (72)notable wine list (51)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (14)hot spot (14)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Best in HarrisburgVisitorVIPDined on 10/16/2014My wife and I went here for dinner while we were attending a horse show. Our water Alex was fantastic. He knew all the foods and wines and was attentive to our every need. The food was some of the best we ever tasted. Out-shinned most New York spots. I highly recommend this restaurant. Best in the city.Special Features:
- A Gem in PAchefnanaVIPDined on 10/15/2014It was a perfect evening to celebrate my husband's birthday. We had been traveling for several weeks and found this to be one of the best restaurants on the trip. It beat one of the top notch restaurants in New York and Montreal! The food was only exceeded by the great service! ChefNanaSpecial Features:
- Wonderful service & food!DebbieDined on 10/11/2014We really enjoyed the ambiance, the food and the scenery. We had a wonderful time! The service was impeccable, and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best EverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014I cannot express how wonderful the meal, service and atmosphere was on Saturday night at Char's. The rack of lamb was out of this world and the African stew ….. don't throw away that recipe either !!!! I just seems to get better and better every time we come for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aka1202Dined on 10/9/2014Nice atmosphere, enough to accomodate large parties. Confused about inclusion of asian menu but all we tasted were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another nice evening at Char'sPAVisitorDined on 10/7/2014We enjoy going to Char's and having drinks and appetizers during the week. They have a very nice drink and wine list and its fun trying new items. Tried the butternut squash soup, arugula and tomato salad, and lamb sliders. Soup and salad were outstanding, the lamb sliders were okay but not one of my favorites. I'd suggest passing on that. Will return again.Special Features:
- Celebrated Silver Anniversary2inluvDined on 10/6/2014Arrived at Char's on a Monday night, we were seated right away. The restaurant was a romantic setting as my husband and I were celebrating our silver anniversary. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. Ordered a coconut/pinapple martini and their special $25 bottle of wine on Mondays only. We will definately be back again for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceIvaBDined on 10/3/2014We had a good time during our recent visit. Everyone was very friendly, the service was prompt, and the food was enjoyable. The prices seem a bit high, especially for the cocktails, but we left satisfied. Recommended for a special night out.Special Features:
- Very nice but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Very nice experience overall but it was significantly overpriced. The atmosphere was nice, service was great and the food was very good but at least a third of the price is for the location which isn't awe inspiring. I expected to be wowed by the experience and food and I instead felt satisfied with the experience but turned off by being significantly overcharged.Special Features:
- Parting from good friendsRG999Dined on 9/28/2014The ambiance, food, and service were wonderful. This is the last dinner I will enjoy with two good friends for the near future. It was a memorable occasion. Thanks, RussSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014We tried Chars for the first time Friday evening. We were worried because we had seen reviews stating the service was lackluster. Our server was fabulous! She was very attentive and knew the menu well. My husband got the fish du jour which happened to be grouper. He RAVED about the meal, he loved every part of it. My appetizer and dessert were delicious! My entree was mediocre at best. I got the pasta du jour. I was expecting homemade pasta, it was boxed. The pasta was also over cooked. I would rather under cooked than over cooked pasta. The sauce was just ok and had way too many mushrooms(I enjoy mushrooms). The scallops that were on top of my mushroom filled sauce and over cooked pasta were delicious and cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- artistStenDined on 9/26/2014Char, the staff and food never disappoint. we had an amazing evening.Special Features:
- One of the bestPapaDined on 9/21/2014Char's has been one of our top choices since our first visit, probably ten years ago when the restaurant was at its old location. The food, drinks, and service have always been first-class, and Char's collection of artwork makes the place very attractive.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner....in Harrisburg!SailorBobDined on 9/20/2014Well, honestly I wouldn't have expected this restaurant to be in Harrisburg, but what a treasure and a lovely find for us. Definitely will be a place we visit again. The food was well prepared, the homemade pasta we perfectly cooked and attractively presented, service was friendly, attentive and professional and the sunset next to the river made for a special setting and a great celebration evening!Special Features:
- A Lovely DinnerCarolandDavidDined on 9/19/2014This was our first visit, timed to take advantage of Restaurant Week specials. We were very impressed by the whole vibe. Our servers (2) were attentive and friendly, not stuffy as we thought it might be. Had a good deal on a flight of wines, which we shared. Loved the pierogies and chicken flatbread appetizers. Then we both had succulent short ribs. Ladies at a neighboring table also raved about their choices. These menu items however are not on the regular menu. Char, the owner, stopped by all tables, another nice touch. Happy Hour at the bar will be our next visit. The reason we would likely return for dinner only for special occasions is the pretty high prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harrisburg's finest.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014Four of us visited during Restaurant Week in Harrisburg. This is the closest we have come to fine dining in the area. The service was wonderful, the food delicious in an upscale environment!Special Features:
- Very nice, interestingnewbiefoodieDined on 9/17/2014A very interesting experience. Wish they had a second entrance/exit on Front St. We enjoyed everything as this was our first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An OasisItJustGetsBetterNBetterDined on 9/16/2014I met my friend since childhood at Char's and we had a wonderful evening reminiscing over memories. I did not realize it was Restaurant Week, but this did not interfere with excellent service and delicious food. I liked the Bar choices and the Wine List. My favorite is the dessert made with fresh pineapple. Just enough sweet and good for you too. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Disappointed.LaunatkDined on 9/16/2014Initally our wait staff seemed to be in a hurry then we had to ask another wait staff person to find her. Their features were a delightful variety of mouth watering appetizers, entrees, and desserts. One appetizer was barely warm & waited for quite some time for the replacement. We had the same wonderful pork entree but mine had snow peas and asparagus...her's didn't. Dessert was a wonderful grilled pineapple...Waited over 30 minutes, after our entree plates were removed/we were offered coffee. We watched others be served the same grilled pineapple (who came in after us.) The dessert had a rum sauce with a side of gelato; lost in the tongs of my fork as pineapple was grilled. No spoon. Our wait staff person blamed the error on the kitchen.Special Features:
- Best in Harrisburg2K2LDined on 9/13/2014Char's never disappoints. Excellent specials. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening!eatwellDined on 9/12/2014I was excited to experience this restaurant and it met all my expectations. The ambiance was lovely with a beautiful view of the river and two man band. The food was delightful and I savored each bite. Our server was professional and appeared at all the right times. We will definitely be back for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!RobBVIPDined on 9/11/2014First visit to Char's, but I'd heard nothing but good things about it. Went for anniversary dinner and everything was amazing! Our server was very helpful and knowledgeable. Food was perfectly prepared. A little loud but that may be due to it being restaurant week. We will certainly be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harrisburg Restaurant WeekSmittyDined on 9/11/2014Housed in the prior "Osteopathic Hospital" this place has been transformed. Don't miss sculpted glass lights & bathrooms. We delighted in the 3 course $30 restaurant week. It was a prix fixe with 3 interesting choices for each course. I had lamb ravioli, beef brisket and grilled pineapple with gelato--perfect all around. I was particularly impressed with their "wine flights"--a correctly paired glass of wine per course--I don't know much about wines, so this was wonderful. One of our diners knew the chef, Ron,who came out to warmly greet us & because 2 of our party were "foodies" we were given a wonderful, welcoming tour of the kitchen that he designed, complete with windows. The kitchen crew was great & said hi between their busy work.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialPerfectEveningVIPDined on 9/5/2014Nothing special. I had higher expections for Chars. Things were fair but nothing really stood out, except the live music.
- Casual Elegance is good for youjoeyeatsoutDined on 8/28/2014We find ourselves in Harrisburg for no particular reason other than it’s halfway to where we’re headed. The mansion looks the part and has a view of the languid Susquehanna river. And, joy of joys, it has its own parking lot. We have a view of the river from our table even though we’re inside. There’s lots of glass art and what looks to be a Chihuly sculpture hanging from the ceiling. Since we had small dinners, we opted to share dessert. A small banana walnut bread pudding is topped with vanilla ice cream and sprinkled with berries. A perfect ending to a delicious meal. I heartily recommend that you check this place out; if you’re local and a wino you might want to come when wine specials are offered.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Great location, views, decor, ambiance, cocktails, service, food. Cant't be beat for an evening out in Harrisburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!CocoDined on 8/27/2014I have been to Char's many times in the past, and have never been disappointed. The food and service are always outstanding. This was our first time out on the veranda with the live music, and I have to say we'll be aiming for Wednesdays again in the future when we are looking for a place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the ambiance.needtorelaxDined on 8/24/2014I went here on a Sunday evening (7:00). We sat on the patio. The entertainment was wonderful and the food was excellent, Service was very slow. We did order appetizers and dinners (no alcohol). The whole experience was over 2 hours. Had it not been for the entertainment, beautiful weather and view, I would have been upset. Great place if you have hours to spare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience!WenderFender7Dined on 8/21/2014I took my boyfriend here for a surprise night out. I read reviews for several restaurants in Harrisburg and finally chose Char's based simply on the feedback of others. I already had high expectations for the experience but I was NOT disappointed. My boyfriend and I started out with the lobster spring roll to share, chose the lamb and fish di jour for our entrees and concluded with the creme brûlée. WONDERFUL food, PERFECT service and an overall GREAT experience. Being a server myself, I HIGHLY recommend Char's to anyone & even raved about it to my own coworkers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect spot for diningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/19/2014great views of the Susquehanna river. Wonderful options for different palates. Just an all around comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:
- Want to love it but don'tOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/19/2014I really want to love Char's, but I just don't. On this visit, the service was particularly careless. It was a Tuesday, so maybe they were understaffed, but our waitress disappeared for long periods of time while we waited for every step of the restaurant experience. We weren't in any kind of hurry, but this was really long wait times. We ordered appetizers, mains and one dessert, and the only two that were really delicious were the mushroom crepes and the escargot. The rest were just ok. The fish special was $39 and when I took the leftovers home, I ended up pitching them rather than eating them. Lovely building and location, but service and food are not where they need to be.Special Features:
- Fantastic views!Foodie13Dined on 8/17/2014You cannot beat the views at this restaurant! Easy to find, ample parking. Service was great and friendly. Most importantly, the food was divine!Special Features:
- Central PA GemNo1FoodSnobDined on 8/16/2014My first time at Char's was super. Not sure why I waited so long to get there. The menu was very well thought out and interesting. Service was outstanding. Staff was very attentive and professional, without being intrusive. Food was amazing, both in presentation and taste. Can't wait to get back!Special Features:
- PerfectionJoebobDined on 8/16/2014From Char's personable greeting as we entered, to the last bite of desert the meal was spectacular. The apple carrot soup and endive salad, rositto with fish and sirloin entree were prepared and presented aptly. Adam, our server was attentive and obviously experienced.Special Features:
- mimosaDined on 8/15/2014everything was great...alittle priceySpecials were excellentSpecial Features:
- First visit to Char'sJohnVIPDined on 8/15/2014We paid a little more, but the food was exquisite. No entrees on this occasion. Appetizer, salad, small plate - more than enough. Cocktail was excellent. My partner had apple/butternut squash soup, pear and endive salad, lamb sliders. She oohed and aahed over the soup. The salad was not over-dressed. The lamb was good, but slightly more done than desired. I had sausage/bean ragout, spinach and berry salad and pasta Bolognese. All were top-drawer. Mini flan desert was classic flan dressed up with fruit and a little extra syrup. Char stopped by table and took us on a short tour of the property - classy lady and classy business woman.Special Features:
- Date nightSpokesDined on 8/13/2014Server was excellent. Presentation was creative, however it seemed as though each dish could have used one more ingredient to spice up the flavor a bit. This however will not keep me from returning. Ambience is hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!SnB10Dined on 8/13/2014We booked a reservation for Char's Tracy Mansion to celebrate our 10yr wedding anniversary. It was perfect! They gave us a window seat so we could watch the sunset (like we did for our Honeymoon in Vegas). The service was top-notch and the food was AMAZING (Lamb and Steaks, Salad, Dessert)!! This would be a perfect place to celebrate a special occasion. We were there on a Wednesday evening (8pm) and it was not too crowded/busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Birthday DinnerNateVIPDined on 8/12/2014We enjoyed a superb birthday dinner at Char's on Tuesday evening. Sal the bartender is very professional and he makes a fantastic blood orange martini. We enjoyed a local beet salad and two specials, including the lamb shank risotto and a fettuccine with mushrooms and breaded eggplant. We always have a great meal and a great time at Char's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UpscaleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Char's was the perfect setting to celebrate my wife's birthday. Our waiter, Justin, was the best and made the evening even better. We only eat at Char's on special occasions because it is pricey but, none the less, it is one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.