Char's Tracy Mansion
1829 N. Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17102Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Char's Tracy Mansion
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (717) 213-4002
- Hours of Operation:
Bar & Library: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm to 10:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Ron Canady
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Gallery, which features the mansion's original fireplace and a private terrace, seats up to 24 people. This room is equipped with internet access for corporate functions.
- Private Party Contact: Shana 7172134002
- Entertainment: Live Music in the sculpture garden Fridays and Saturday nights during the summer, 7-10 pm, weather permitting.
A word from Char's Tracy Mansion
An American Brasserie offering both casual and upscale dining experiences. A place where individuals will feel ‘special’ whether they come for a drink, small plates/dessert, a meeting, or an evening of fine dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Char's Tracy Mansion - Best Restaurants in Harrisburg ›
Char's Tracy Mansion reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (109)scenic view (83)fit for foodies (81)romantic (77)great for outdoor dining (49)notable wine list (47)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (19)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- This is one of our favorite restaurantsjwilliDined on 11/16/2014Absolutely love this restaurant. Pricey but worth it, you leave full and satisfied. Love the three course meal options on Thursday and Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Char's did not diasppointTeeBusterVIPDined on 11/13/2014I decided to try this restaurant on a trip to Harrisburg and was pleasantly surprised. Myself and business associate were both looking for a good steak, which is a difficult thing to find in downtown Harrisburg. The filet and NY Strip were both done correctly, had complementary sides and great presentation. Good wine selection and moderately priced for one of the areas better restaurants. Service was attentive without being bothersome and the waiter was very knowledgeable. I'm going back.Special Features:
- The Place to Go for a Classy Time with Great FoodMcDougallDined on 11/13/2014We have been wanting to get to Char's since it opened and for some reason could never get there. We finally made it and it was worth the wait. The environment is very nice, the service friendly and unhurried, and the food was superb. This is the place to go in Harrisburg for a romantic time, to impress visitors to Harrisburg and for really wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!SaraAimeeDined on 11/10/2014I chose to make my reservation at Char's based on some enthusiastic recommendations and I was not disappointed. The ambiance, food and our server made it a great experience. I brought my best friend there for her birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rater1bigguyDined on 11/8/2014This was our first time at Char's and it was outstanding. The food was great and the service was excellent! I would definitely dine here again after I pay off my credit card from the bill there.Special Features:
- Char'sTime2DineDined on 11/7/2014While the food was outstanding as usual, we were surprised that when we arrived quite early, we were told that it was necessary to have "bar reservations" to sit at the bar. The "library" where we like to have cocktails before dinner appeared to be closed. We were taken to our table (close to what we asked for). We said that we would like to have drinks before our meal, and we were told we could have them at the table. The wine was superb, and the food was delicious. The presentation was beautiful and appealing.Special Features:
- premier Harrisburg diningPadreGiovanniVIPDined on 11/7/2014Fabulous food, superb service and elegant ambiance make Char's Tracy Mansion a gem of the Capital of the Commonwealth. Wine selection is First Class and chef is very accommodating to special needs (low sodium, etc.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfactory at bestfirsttimer1Dined on 11/2/2014The service was extremely slow on Sunday evening. Food was prepared well, however they were out of the soup from the 3 course meal special. The environment was quiet for the first 20 minutes, then for the next 1 1/2 hours the patrons surrounding us were very loud. This was our Anniversary dinner therefore for us, it will most likely be one and done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, marginal serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014Overall, we found our food to be good - flavorful and well prepared. However, the service was poor - we waited way too long between all aspects of the meal from the time we sat down to the time we got our check. Seating is very close together, so you can too easily hear the conversations of those next to you. Price for the meal felt too high for our overall experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Driving from Boston to Pittsburgh, we stopped for the night in Harrisburg and booked a table at char. What a great find! Food, service, ambiance were wonderful. The locals we talked with at the nearby tables confirmed that this is the best restaurant in Harrisburg. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great foodsLisaDined on 10/29/2014Food and drinks were wonderful. We had a table of 6 and there was 20% gratuity added and the service was terrible. Service was terrible we had to ask to order apps ask for more bread and ask for more drinks. I am not from the Harrisburg area but do business in that market and have taken clients to Chars before the food is always great and so is the service this is the first time I have every had bad service. This is also the first time I was there and Char was not. Maybe that makes a difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014We tried to use a $100 gift card and then put the rest on my wife's debit card. The server came back and told us he couldn't get the gift card to work, that was fine we told him just to put the whole bill on the debit card. He then came back and told us the card was declined and he also doesn't think they accept debit cards. We found the reason it was declined after calling the bank. He swiped the card for the $170 bill 7 times causing her account to go into the negative and alert the fraud department in the bank to put a hold on the card. I ended up paying with my debit card even though the server said they don't accept debit cards. It took a whole week for them to refund my wife's card and release the hold on the gift card.
- Craig24Dined on 10/25/2014Great food, great cocktails, great desserts,great chef Ron, great server justin. Very friendly and view is awesome at sunset on the river. An eating and drinking experience. Janie and carol, your Erie friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014We've known this place since it was located in Shipoke. Wanted to come back since they opened at Tracy Mansion. The place it's beautiful, with great views of the Susquehanna River. The food was very good, although the risotto with Gouda cheese and pork shank was delicious, was too heavy for my stomach later on. The service and friendliness of the staff at the bar as well of our waitress was excellent. They could use a larger wine list.Special Features:
- Good but not greatTomPVIPDined on 10/20/2014I have come to expect exceptional from Char's but it was not this time. Just so so food. The prices are really getting too high for Harrisburg.Special Features:
- Early evening dinner at Char'sCatloversDined on 10/19/2014On Sunday evening we had an early dinner at Char's. Before dinner we had a drink in the library which was very pleasant. The wine selection was good and the bonus was "happy hour" from 4 to 6! Our table was near a window so we had a view of a nice sunset. The food and service were excellent as usual. One of our party was a vegetarian and he was quite please to see the menu had many options. We've never been disappointed at Char's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in HarrisburgVisitorVIPDined on 10/16/2014My wife and I went here for dinner while we were attending a horse show. Our water Alex was fantastic. He knew all the foods and wines and was attentive to our every need. The food was some of the best we ever tasted. Out-shinned most New York spots. I highly recommend this restaurant. Best in the city.Special Features:
- A Gem in PAchefnanaVIPDined on 10/15/2014It was a perfect evening to celebrate my husband's birthday. We had been traveling for several weeks and found this to be one of the best restaurants on the trip. It beat one of the top notch restaurants in New York and Montreal! The food was only exceeded by the great service! ChefNanaSpecial Features:
- Wonderful service & food!DebbieDined on 10/11/2014We really enjoyed the ambiance, the food and the scenery. We had a wonderful time! The service was impeccable, and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best EverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014I cannot express how wonderful the meal, service and atmosphere was on Saturday night at Char's. The rack of lamb was out of this world and the African stew ….. don't throw away that recipe either !!!! I just seems to get better and better every time we come for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aka1202Dined on 10/9/2014Nice atmosphere, enough to accomodate large parties. Confused about inclusion of asian menu but all we tasted were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another nice evening at Char'sPAVisitorVIPDined on 10/7/2014We enjoy going to Char's and having drinks and appetizers during the week. They have a very nice drink and wine list and its fun trying new items. Tried the butternut squash soup, arugula and tomato salad, and lamb sliders. Soup and salad were outstanding, the lamb sliders were okay but not one of my favorites. I'd suggest passing on that. Will return again.Special Features:
- Celebrated Silver Anniversary2inluvDined on 10/6/2014Arrived at Char's on a Monday night, we were seated right away. The restaurant was a romantic setting as my husband and I were celebrating our silver anniversary. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. Ordered a coconut/pinapple martini and their special $25 bottle of wine on Mondays only. We will definately be back again for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceIvaBDined on 10/3/2014We had a good time during our recent visit. Everyone was very friendly, the service was prompt, and the food was enjoyable. The prices seem a bit high, especially for the cocktails, but we left satisfied. Recommended for a special night out.Special Features:
- Very nice but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Very nice experience overall but it was significantly overpriced. The atmosphere was nice, service was great and the food was very good but at least a third of the price is for the location which isn't awe inspiring. I expected to be wowed by the experience and food and I instead felt satisfied with the experience but turned off by being significantly overcharged.Special Features:
- Parting from good friendsRG999Dined on 9/28/2014The ambiance, food, and service were wonderful. This is the last dinner I will enjoy with two good friends for the near future. It was a memorable occasion. Thanks, RussSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014We tried Chars for the first time Friday evening. We were worried because we had seen reviews stating the service was lackluster. Our server was fabulous! She was very attentive and knew the menu well. My husband got the fish du jour which happened to be grouper. He RAVED about the meal, he loved every part of it. My appetizer and dessert were delicious! My entree was mediocre at best. I got the pasta du jour. I was expecting homemade pasta, it was boxed. The pasta was also over cooked. I would rather under cooked than over cooked pasta. The sauce was just ok and had way too many mushrooms(I enjoy mushrooms). The scallops that were on top of my mushroom filled sauce and over cooked pasta were delicious and cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- artistStenDined on 9/26/2014Char, the staff and food never disappoint. we had an amazing evening.Special Features:
- One of the bestPapaDined on 9/21/2014Char's has been one of our top choices since our first visit, probably ten years ago when the restaurant was at its old location. The food, drinks, and service have always been first-class, and Char's collection of artwork makes the place very attractive.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner....in Harrisburg!SailorBobDined on 9/20/2014Well, honestly I wouldn't have expected this restaurant to be in Harrisburg, but what a treasure and a lovely find for us. Definitely will be a place we visit again. The food was well prepared, the homemade pasta we perfectly cooked and attractively presented, service was friendly, attentive and professional and the sunset next to the river made for a special setting and a great celebration evening!Special Features:
- A Lovely DinnerCarolandDavidDined on 9/19/2014This was our first visit, timed to take advantage of Restaurant Week specials. We were very impressed by the whole vibe. Our servers (2) were attentive and friendly, not stuffy as we thought it might be. Had a good deal on a flight of wines, which we shared. Loved the pierogies and chicken flatbread appetizers. Then we both had succulent short ribs. Ladies at a neighboring table also raved about their choices. These menu items however are not on the regular menu. Char, the owner, stopped by all tables, another nice touch. Happy Hour at the bar will be our next visit. The reason we would likely return for dinner only for special occasions is the pretty high prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harrisburg's finest.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014Four of us visited during Restaurant Week in Harrisburg. This is the closest we have come to fine dining in the area. The service was wonderful, the food delicious in an upscale environment!Special Features:
- Very nice, interestingnewbiefoodieDined on 9/17/2014A very interesting experience. Wish they had a second entrance/exit on Front St. We enjoyed everything as this was our first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An OasisItJustGetsBetterNBetterDined on 9/16/2014I met my friend since childhood at Char's and we had a wonderful evening reminiscing over memories. I did not realize it was Restaurant Week, but this did not interfere with excellent service and delicious food. I liked the Bar choices and the Wine List. My favorite is the dessert made with fresh pineapple. Just enough sweet and good for you too. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Disappointed.LaunatkDined on 9/16/2014Initally our wait staff seemed to be in a hurry then we had to ask another wait staff person to find her. Their features were a delightful variety of mouth watering appetizers, entrees, and desserts. One appetizer was barely warm & waited for quite some time for the replacement. We had the same wonderful pork entree but mine had snow peas and asparagus...her's didn't. Dessert was a wonderful grilled pineapple...Waited over 30 minutes, after our entree plates were removed/we were offered coffee. We watched others be served the same grilled pineapple (who came in after us.) The dessert had a rum sauce with a side of gelato; lost in the tongs of my fork as pineapple was grilled. No spoon. Our wait staff person blamed the error on the kitchen.Special Features:
- Best in Harrisburg2K2LDined on 9/13/2014Char's never disappoints. Excellent specials. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening!eatwellDined on 9/12/2014I was excited to experience this restaurant and it met all my expectations. The ambiance was lovely with a beautiful view of the river and two man band. The food was delightful and I savored each bite. Our server was professional and appeared at all the right times. We will definitely be back for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!RobBVIPDined on 9/11/2014First visit to Char's, but I'd heard nothing but good things about it. Went for anniversary dinner and everything was amazing! Our server was very helpful and knowledgeable. Food was perfectly prepared. A little loud but that may be due to it being restaurant week. We will certainly be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harrisburg Restaurant WeekSmittyDined on 9/11/2014Housed in the prior "Osteopathic Hospital" this place has been transformed. Don't miss sculpted glass lights & bathrooms. We delighted in the 3 course $30 restaurant week. It was a prix fixe with 3 interesting choices for each course. I had lamb ravioli, beef brisket and grilled pineapple with gelato--perfect all around. I was particularly impressed with their "wine flights"--a correctly paired glass of wine per course--I don't know much about wines, so this was wonderful. One of our diners knew the chef, Ron,who came out to warmly greet us & because 2 of our party were "foodies" we were given a wonderful, welcoming tour of the kitchen that he designed, complete with windows. The kitchen crew was great & said hi between their busy work.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialPerfectEveningVIPDined on 9/5/2014Nothing special. I had higher expections for Chars. Things were fair but nothing really stood out, except the live music.