Char's Tracy Mansion
1829 N. Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17102Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Char's Tracy Mansion
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7172134002
- Hours of Operation:
Bar & Library: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm to 10:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Ron Canady
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Gallery, which features the mansion's original fireplace and a private terrace, seats up to 24 people. This room is equipped with internet access for corporate functions.
- Private Party Contact: Shana 7172134002
- Entertainment: Live Music in the sculpture garden Fridays and Saturday nights during the summer, 7-10 pm, weather permitting.
A word from Char's Tracy Mansion
An American Brasserie offering both casual and upscale dining experiences. A place where individuals will feel ‘special’ whether they come for a drink, small plates/dessert, a meeting, or an evening of fine dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Char's Tracy Mansion - Best Restaurants in Harrisburg ›
Char's Tracy Mansion reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (113)scenic view (104)great for outdoor dining (81)romantic (77)fit for foodies (70)notable wine list (46)neighborhood gem (28)hot spot (13)good for groups (9)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Loved the ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I went here on a Sunday evening (7:00). We sat on the patio. The entertainment was wonderful and the food was excellent, Service was very slow. We did order appetizers and dinners (no alcohol). The whole experience was over 2 hours. Had it not been for the entertainment, beautiful weather and view, I would have been upset. Great place if you have hours to spare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience!WenderFender7Dined on 8/21/2014I took my boyfriend here for a surprise night out. I read reviews for several restaurants in Harrisburg and finally chose Char's based simply on the feedback of others. I already had high expectations for the experience but I was NOT disappointed. My boyfriend and I started out with the lobster spring roll to share, chose the lamb and fish di jour for our entrees and concluded with the creme brûlée. WONDERFUL food, PERFECT service and an overall GREAT experience. Being a server myself, I HIGHLY recommend Char's to anyone & even raved about it to my own coworkers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect spot for diningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/19/2014great views of the Susquehanna river. Wonderful options for different palates. Just an all around comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:
- Want to love it but don'tOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/19/2014I really want to love Char's, but I just don't. On this visit, the service was particularly careless. It was a Tuesday, so maybe they were understaffed, but our waitress disappeared for long periods of time while we waited for every step of the restaurant experience. We weren't in any kind of hurry, but this was really long wait times. We ordered appetizers, mains and one dessert, and the only two that were really delicious were the mushroom crepes and the escargot. The rest were just ok. The fish special was $39 and when I took the leftovers home, I ended up pitching them rather than eating them. Lovely building and location, but service and food are not where they need to be.Special Features:
- Fantastic views!Foodie13Dined on 8/17/2014You cannot beat the views at this restaurant! Easy to find, ample parking. Service was great and friendly. Most importantly, the food was divine!Special Features:
- Central PA GemNo1FoodSnobDined on 8/16/2014My first time at Char's was super. Not sure why I waited so long to get there. The menu was very well thought out and interesting. Service was outstanding. Staff was very attentive and professional, without being intrusive. Food was amazing, both in presentation and taste. Can't wait to get back!Special Features:
- PerfectionJoebobDined on 8/16/2014From Char's personable greeting as we entered, to the last bite of desert the meal was spectacular. The apple carrot soup and endive salad, rositto with fish and sirloin entree were prepared and presented aptly. Adam, our server was attentive and obviously experienced.Special Features:
- mimosaDined on 8/15/2014everything was great...alittle priceySpecials were excellentSpecial Features:
- First visit to Char'sJohnVIPDined on 8/15/2014We paid a little more, but the food was exquisite. No entrees on this occasion. Appetizer, salad, small plate - more than enough. Cocktail was excellent. My partner had apple/butternut squash soup, pear and endive salad, lamb sliders. She oohed and aahed over the soup. The salad was not over-dressed. The lamb was good, but slightly more done than desired. I had sausage/bean ragout, spinach and berry salad and pasta Bolognese. All were top-drawer. Mini flan desert was classic flan dressed up with fruit and a little extra syrup. Char stopped by table and took us on a short tour of the property - classy lady and classy business woman.Special Features:
- Date nightSpokesDined on 8/13/2014Server was excellent. Presentation was creative, however it seemed as though each dish could have used one more ingredient to spice up the flavor a bit. This however will not keep me from returning. Ambience is hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!SnB10Dined on 8/13/2014We booked a reservation for Char's Tracy Mansion to celebrate our 10yr wedding anniversary. It was perfect! They gave us a window seat so we could watch the sunset (like we did for our Honeymoon in Vegas). The service was top-notch and the food was AMAZING (Lamb and Steaks, Salad, Dessert)!! This would be a perfect place to celebrate a special occasion. We were there on a Wednesday evening (8pm) and it was not too crowded/busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Birthday DinnerNateVIPDined on 8/12/2014We enjoyed a superb birthday dinner at Char's on Tuesday evening. Sal the bartender is very professional and he makes a fantastic blood orange martini. We enjoyed a local beet salad and two specials, including the lamb shank risotto and a fettuccine with mushrooms and breaded eggplant. We always have a great meal and a great time at Char's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UpscaleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Char's was the perfect setting to celebrate my wife's birthday. Our waiter, Justin, was the best and made the evening even better. We only eat at Char's on special occasions because it is pricey but, none the less, it is one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An incredible eveningHarrisburgEdDined on 8/9/2014This was our second time at Char's. The first time was New Years with old friends and it was delightful. This last time was a birthday dinner for my wife on the patio overlooking the river at sunset. The food was to die for and the ambiance was majestic. Nobody in town does it better.Special Features:
- deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Sal's unique cocktails are wonderful. The food and service are top notch.Special Features:
- Excellent eveningporcinaDined on 8/7/2014The food was outstanding, the view lovely, and the service excellent. Char came over to visit a little and ask us about the meal. We will definitely be back. Very good experience.Special Features:
- Value?RaiderDined on 8/5/2014First, the positives: Food: as expected, but did not blow us away. Service: average for this type of restaurant. Setting: beautiful river views! Now for the negatives... Beer & Wine: rather limited beer choices; wine was a little better selection. However, they were out of the first TWO beers we ordered. Menu: not as extensive as I expected; but maybe I had the wrong impression of this establishment from the beginning. Value: for the price, nowhere near the experience I expected. We were seated in an awkward corner, not facing, but seated at a 90 to each other. Our server, while friendly, did not know the beers or menu especially well. $140+ for two people (entrees, two drinks ea, app & dessert). For that, I expected better.Special Features:
- BEST RESTAURANT IN HARRISBURGBEV1951Dined on 8/4/2014Excellent. Only second time dining here but Char's is very very fine dining in more ways than one. All staff were very attentive but not overbearing. Felt our server was only there for us. Another great celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014This was our second visit to Char's, and it was every bit as enjoyable as our first. We plan to come back again, soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceSquidDined on 8/2/2014Char's is always great I have been several times for business dinners. I finally took my wife, and she absolutely love it!!! The Chef's there are amazing and it is always a pleasure to speak with Char herself.Special Features:
- Great dinner with amazing serviceSteveDined on 8/1/2014A very enjoyable meal and evening. The only detractor would be the price. Worthwhile but expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must….in HarrisburgOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/25/2014We had an outstanding dining experience. We had a table on the front porch overlooking the river. There was a nice acoustic group providing background music against the backdrop of the river. The owner, Char, introduced herself and helped us make menu selections. Our experience backed up what the cabbies told us that this is the best restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for out of town guestsFoodFanaticDined on 7/21/2014Had dinner at Char's with friends from Palm Springs, CA. We had just returned from seeing a show in NY and were very tired and I didn't really want to go. The seating outside rejuvenated us all! The staff, food and outdoor seating were fantastic. We have had many fine dinners with them in Palm Springs but they were very impressed with Char's and want to go back again. Always a wonderful dining experience at Char's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GymratGymratDined on 7/18/2014Incredible dinner on the veranda. Beautiful evening, exceptional service, mouth watering halibut and music set the tone for a very special night. Highly recommend Char's for top of the line dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerBilzoDined on 7/13/2014We took my wife there for her birthday. It was nice to sit on the porch, have a drink, listen to the music and enjoy the view before dinner. They had our server serve us drinks, which was a very nice touch. Having the same person take care of you from beginning to end seems lost on restaurants. I detest when a different wait staff person brings the food and in essence makes me order twice. In addition, that person doesn't get fresh drinks, etc. The food was great. The rack of lamb and veal with sage risotto were 10s, the port tenderloin was good, just not great. The atmosphere in the mansion is elegant.Special Features:
- good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014We started with the liver pate appetizer which we both love. We split a nice salad (with a $2 mark-up) and then the entrees. Mine was the pork. Good but not great. The sauce reminded me of a light barbecue sauce. It got better as it got colder. My wife had a seafood dish and the shrimp were huge but not especially good. Don't get me wrong, we both enjoyed our entrees but the price tag with 2 martinis and 3 glasses of wine almost hit the $200 mark. I want to be wowed for that kind of money and this didn't do that. We will definitely go back but the search for a great restaurant in the Harrisburg area continues.Special Features:
- Amazing food and drinksHowbryDined on 7/10/2014We went here for a special occasion and were very impressed all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTanyaDined on 7/9/2014We enjoyed our dining experience at Char's! We went for our anniversary and everything was awesome! They even wrote Happy Anniversary on our dessert as a nice surprise! Looking forward to going back! Food and service were top notch! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!snickersnackerDined on 7/8/2014This was our first visit to Char's, but we will most definitely return. There was an extensive martini list, a great selection of appetizers and small plates, and some unique dinner specials. The quinoa salad was visually delightful and equally delicious. The pace of service was relaxing and unhurried. If you are looking for a special occasion venue, this is it. Harrisburg has a true gem with Char's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good experienceTommygnDined on 7/3/2014My wife and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary with dinner here, so we wanted a nice evening out. The service was great. They paid attention to the small details that get over looked these days. The food was great as well. They were also kind enough to "quietly" acknowledge our anniversary with a happy 10th in chocolate sauce and a small candle on the desert plate. Every employee went out of their way to make sure our meal was great. Thank you, and a well done for Char's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for the ocasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014We (me and my wife) was celebrating her birthday (40th) and the place fit very well. My place was ready when we arrived including the flowers I ordered. The service was perfect including sugestions on drinks and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay but OverpricedHbgpaDined on 7/1/2014Harrisburg has only a few upscale restaurants so when it's time to go somewhere nice, Char's is usually it for us. It is close and has sufficient parking. Our entrees was good, I loved the sauce they put on the filet. Now, for the not so good. The salad was overdressed, drowning in the dressing, and the potatoes that came with the steak had as much butter as potato. My wine would have been good at the correct temperature, but it was very warm. Yes, I realize that red wine should be served warmer than white, but it should still be a little cool. Also, since they don't have a sommelier, the waitresses should be able to describe the wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honker774Dined on 6/30/2014Our favorite establishment! My go to place for special occasions.Special Features:
- bruceDined on 6/28/2014most excellent service, food and pleasant environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie2Dined on 6/26/2014We had a very enjoyable birthday dinner. We are pretty particular and all the items we ordered did not disappoint. We are retired and do not appreciate spending a large amt of money on a disappointing meal. We will definitely return to Char's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor dining with a viewGoodpiratetimDined on 6/26/2014Situated on the Susquehanna River, the view from the terrace was relaxing and romantic. The service was attentive and they still serve bread. The food was good but seemed trying hard to use the "fusion" word. Dessert were left alone and just really good. Great romantic spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth ItDGJxVIPDined on 6/26/2014It isn't cheap but it is worth the price. Right on the river in a charming old house.Special Features:
- Great dinnerGreatdinnerDined on 6/23/2014We went here for our anniversary. We had not been to their "new" location yet. The food was really fantastic! Our waitor really knew the menu and was able to make some wonderful recs. We will definitely be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menulafayetteDined on 6/21/2014many great menu items to select from...presented and done so perfectlySpecial Features:
- A wonderful night outLuv2WineNDineDined on 6/19/2014What a beautiful place! Great outdoor seating, great food and prompt service. The pickle point oysters were delicious as well as everything else. I will be returning for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.