Charr an American Burger bar
777 East Thunderbird Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85022Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Charr an American Burger bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charrburgerbar.com/
- Phone: 602-993-2427
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch/Brunch - Saturday & Sunday 11am-3pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Joe Aiello
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full Off Premise Catering Available. Please call Myrah Aiello to customize a package for you.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Myrah Aiello 602-993-2427
A word from Charr an American Burger bar
Acclaimed Chef Joe Aiello of Aiello’s goes American with his newest concept “Charr” an American Burger Bar. Why? That is the CIA Grads favorite food! Joe uses only Certified Angus meat & hand makes a huge garlic knot fresh from his pizzeria, Isa’s Pizza. This seals the deal for the best Burger in town. In addition, Joe also offers a handful of entrees, fresh healthy salads & sandwiches as well. The raw bar boasts oysters, clams & shrimp cocktail. Just to Nosh, there's plenty, all of which are offered in the best happy our in town. The warm urban feel with high booths, dark wood & cool backlit bar make you feel as though you are in a hip N.Y. neighborhood joint but reality sets in on the sprawling patio that overlooks the golf course. Big screens for your favorite game or just cuddle up by the fire pits on the patio sofas and enjoy a cocktail, craft beer or great by the glass wine list. Save room for the homemade tutto Americana desserts for the perfect end to a relaxing local evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Charr an American Burger bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- More than burgersOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/28/2013While vacationing in Phoenix we decided to dine at Charr due to the chef-owner's CIA credentials. We were not disappointed. Great food and ambiance. Menu more diverse than the restaurant name implies. Joe, the owner, personally visited each guest table. We were so impressed we dined at the owner's other establishment, Aiello's, the following night which was a few doors down in the shopping center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Will be going back.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/22/2013We went for restaurant week and loved it! Great food, great server, great overall. Definitely recommend! Make sure you get the truffle fries, they are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The portobello burger wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/10/2013The portobello burger was nice, but the truffle fries di not taste like truffle. The staff was nice but very involved in talking with each other as opposed to the guest.
- Great place to watch a sportsHungryBearVIPDined on 2/25/2013Great place to watch a sports game in their bar. Burgers are great and the day we were there they were $5.00! great place for a fast lunch or to watch a game. Staff were very friendlySpecial Features:
- Good Burger but ate in the darkbrunchieVIPDined on 1/21/2013My issue with Charr was not the food but the restaurant itself. I went for dinner and the lighting was so dark it was eery. There was a small wing of the restaurant that was lit and the main part of the restaurant like there was a power failure. Every table had their cell phones out, trying to read the menu. Pink Floyd was playing "The Wall" which makes a diner feel anxious when sitting in the dark. A lot of patrons were just yawning. The burger was perfectly cooked to temperature but underseasoned. The truffle fries were tiny, crisp and yummy. I appreciated how the Chef/Owner Joe touched every table. I would maybe go back in the daytime but I hope they consider changing the atmosphere.
- We had a party of 17 peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/27/2012We had a party of 17 people at two separate seatings, and we had negative comments from from three people. Two commented that the linguine with clam, the clam was overcooked and chewy. One commented that the veal in the veal picata dish was cold when served.
- We were not at all impressedSherDined on 5/27/2012We were not at all impressed with our meals. The service was fine, atmosphere was nice. We had heard about Aiello's for years and decided to give it a try, we will not be going back.
- Amazing, every single time !Jimmybo310Dined on 5/26/2012The owners are very friendly and make you feel like family. I recommend them highly. I enjoy the tartufo and tiramisu. I recommend ANY of the chicken, veal, or eggplant parm. All of the servers are helpful and chip in so you never feel like an orphaned able. Brian, Joe, Myra, Mimi and everyone else are truly customer oriented. I love the place and I am a pain the neck about good food. Gnocci pesto is best this side of the Hudson river. Enjoy! The pizza is real Brooklyn style. Get the fast, they only make 50 or so a night.Special Features:
- Visited Aiello's for the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/26/2012Visited Aiello's for the first time during Restaurant Week. As such we expected it to be busy. When we arrived we were asked if we had reservations and when they escorted us to a table it was for 4 in the middle of the room. I asked if we could have a different table (which was also set for 4) more out of the way. The individual said it was already reserved. ( I guess my reservation didn't count). The wait staff was friendly throughout the meal, but you could obviously tell they were rushed. Food was good, but not great. I noted this is a good spot for groups as there were a number of larger tables where you could carry on a celebration and not feel like you were being too noisy. Would I go back? - maybeSpecial Features:
- The caprese was weak (poorAZgalVIPDined on 5/25/2012The caprese was weak (poor quality mozzerella and basil and NO balsamic); the caesar salad dressing was uninspiring (lacked garlic, thin and dripping). The pasta was very good.Special Features:
- I've been here twice and onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/24/2012I've been here twice and only have good things to say about this place. The food is great, the service is even better.Special Features:
- My wife and I went to Aiello'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2012My wife and I went to Aiello's for our 32nd anniversary and had a wonderful experience. We liked the fixed menus; each of us chose an appetizer, entree, and dessert. We both found that our respective choices to be excellent. The ambiance was great too. Right place to bring special friends or date. Wouldn't recommend bringing small children; this place is best enjoyed in a subdued atmosphere.Special Features:
- Appetizers took over an hourunhappyVIPDined on 5/23/2012Appetizers took over an hour to to served. They were OK.The main course served to all 4 of us was cold.Upon complaining it was taken away and reheated. The meal was comped but that was not the point in going out.
- The food here isn't any betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/22/2012The food here isn't any better than what you could get at Olive Garden for about a third of the price. I'm not sure why people rave about this place but there's much better Italian to be had in Phoenix. The only reason I gave the food a fair rating was their one saving grace - their cannoli was amazing. Filling was perfect and the pastry crust around it was just the right amount of flaky/crispy yumminess. The rest of the food was blah. Watery pasta sauce, overdone meat, etc. The service, however, was excellent. Our server was very attentive and also entertaining. That combined with the company and the cannoli made the experience bearable, but we definitely will not be back. I'm saving my carbs for La Stalla Cucina.
- Food and service were excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/20/2012Food and service were excellent. Friendly place as well. All servers were polite and attentive to our needs.Special Features:
- Stick To Their ClassicsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/19/2012If you stick to what they say our their specials (veal, eggplant parmesean or spaghetti & meatballs) - it will be some of the best in those categories you've had. Those who strayed from that got dishes that were very bland and boring (e.g. parpardelle with scallops). As a starter, the Minestron soup is AMAZING if you're a veggie lover! :)Special Features:
- Great place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/18/2012The staff was very friendly and attentive. The owner checked on us a couple times and seemed interested in what we had to say. The food was excellent with a nice mix of choices. I'd definitely go back again. It was a place people felt comfortable to linger and talk. There was no rushing, no hurrying to get people out of there. We stayed for 2 hours, just chatting and eating and enjoying the ambiance. With the reservation I made an odd request to have a table near air flow or the AC and they even accommodated that! Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- Went for mother's Day andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012Went for mother's Day and All had a great experience especially Mom. We plan on being back and telling our friends about this neighborhood gem. Thank you.
- BEST ITALIAN CUISINE IN ARIZONAOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012had a great Mother's Day with family, will be back again with friends. This place has the best authentic italian food in az. Trust me they don't skip on quality food with extremely reasonable prices for the quality of food. Got to try Joe's meat balls.Special Features:
- The restaurant was a surpriseLuvitVIPDined on 5/12/2012The restaurant was a surprise find. The food was good and priced very well. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Average ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/12/2012NIce location, very friendly, good service. Unfortunaely, the Spaghetti Carbonara had very little pancetta flavor, almost as if the pancetta was added after the fact. My wife had their daily special, which was a ravioli in rosa sauce, the sauce also didn;'t have the flavor you'd expect from a special, tomato flavor overewhelmed the taste of the ravioli.
- Very good food. Nice personableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2012Very good food. Nice personable staff and owner...but way way overpriced. I can get the equivelant Italian food at other privately owned restaurants and at alot cheaper prices. I didn't know pasta was so expensive...lol Honestly could have gone to Durants or some other type of place and eat steak at a cheaper price than you can get for pasta at Aiello's.Special Features:
- Again..Perfect meal!!! : )SandiDined on 5/5/2012So good.... love this place second time there and everything was perfect! I had the portabella ravioli with a white sauce that was so tasty and the bread they give you before your meal is so good with like an herb type butter which is very tasty..my husband had the chicken parmesean again which he loves and will not try another dish because he loves that one so much and my daughter had the meatballs again which are the best we have ever tasted anywhere.The service is very good always right there for anything you need the owner was there again checking on every table greeting all his customers this is just an all round great place that cares about your dining experienceSpecial Features:
- arrived around 7 to realizeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/21/2012arrived around 7 to realize it was clearly "prom night"....the place was packed with high schoolers. nonetheless, the staff stepped it up and took great care of us. the food was terrific from the bread to the appetizers to the pasta and sausage dishes. Joe came out and chatted with us for a bit - nice touch. and don't forget to play the "tumbla" (sp?) game at the end of your dinner - if you guess the right number, dinner is free. and we won!!!
- This restaurant was very noisy.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012This restaurant was very noisy. There was 2 large parties in the same room (about 70 people), plus other tables for 2-5 people inside and outside for dining. Unfortunately this was not a pleasant dinning experience for a table with 3-4 people, as you had to shout at each to be heard. They really need a banquet room for large parties, and more employees to serve this amount of people.
- TASTE TASTE TASTE! Wow Awesome foodSandiDined on 4/21/2012Excellent food! First time there and wow were we impressed...From the Antipasta appetizer to the taramisu dessert wow is all we can say The taste the taste the taste of all the dishes was wonderful Service was incredible the waitress was very attentive but not annoying like some places can be The owner came to table to greet us and check on how it was all going and it was perfect than after we finished our incredibly tasty dinner another guy not sure who he was son maybe? came to verify our experience and he was as friendly and caring as can be we asked of other dishes to try on next visit and he took a lot of time with us to explain many other entrees to explore next visit which I can assure you will be many!!!Special Features:
- Food and service are outstanding!CWFdiningDined on 4/14/2012Food and service are outstanding! This was the 6th time visiting(took along some friends) and , as usual, all meals were great. The veal marsala and swordfish are terrific. All the pastas are plentiful with the just the right sauce. Tiramasu completes the meal. Outstanding!Special Features:
- Tender, fluffy meatballsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/6/2012As always, our dinner at Aiello's was perfection. Tender, fluffy meatballs with wonderfully flavored marinara. Not the least bit spicy, but many layers of flavor. The tre colore salad is simply the best.Special Features:
- We went to Aiello's to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2012We went to Aiello's to celebrate our tenth anniversary. Our waitress was from Spain and she was absolutely wonderful. Our food was excellent and we enjoyed that the owner, Joe Aiello made a point to go up to every table to make sure the food and service was good. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Excellent back east italian,BethWDined on 3/30/2012Excellent back east italian, cozy atmosphere and wonderful back east hospitality. Would highly recommend. Pizza looked great too for take out!Special Features:
- My Wife and I went go Aiello'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2012My Wife and I went go Aiello's or a birthday occasion after reading the reviews and on the recommendation of our friend Rick Dimico we were very impressed and will not hesitate to go there again. The staff were very attentive and made us feel right at home. The food was even me than we expected, the creamy pesto with gnocchi is a must.Special Features:
- Great place, the food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/23/2012Great place, the food was outstanding and the owner coming by was a nice touch. I would highly recommend this Place! The four guys in my party are hard to satisfy, but Aiello's knocked it out the park.Special Features:
- Food was pretty good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2012Food was pretty good, but service was far too slow. We were there early (5:30pm), so there weren't a lot of diners, but it still took them an hour to bring our food after we ordered.
- Incredible place to dine.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2012Incredible place to dine. Food was excellent. The dining setting was casual. I will be going to this establishment again!!! I had an incredible time.Special Features:
- A Neighborhood Gem - Great Staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2012Good food, generous portions, reasonable prices, and efficient and friendly staff. We'll be back. The entire Aiello family make you feel so very welcome. Plus, they have a number drawing where if guess the right number (from 1-100), you're meal is free!Special Features:
- Was very disappointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2012Was very disappointed with my dining experience here. The food was mediocre and even though it wasn't a busy night, it was very noisy. Would not come back.
- Was disappointed by the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/11/2012Was disappointed by the food. THe location was good for meeting friends but we thought the food was just ok. Bummer
- Great food, good spirits &OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012Great food, good spirits & awesome service! And if you are lucky enough to guess the right number, it could be all on Aiello's. What a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- This is a great neighborhoodRegosteinDined on 3/10/2012This is a great neighborhood find. A welcome change from all the other places trying to add a Southwest theme. The food is good and the staff helpful. Make a reservation. Joe the owner visits with everyone and is quite entertaining. Oh! And the food is very good as well. Portions are large. We will return on our next tripSpecial Features:
- We go to Aiellos everytimeMaldigDined on 3/9/2012We go to Aiellos everytime we're in Phoenix. Very good food. This past time I had fettecini with chicken and vodka sauce. I wasn't a fan do they brought me lasagna instead that was delicious. What awesome service!! We'll be back :)Special Features: