Charlie’s Restaurant and Irish Pub at the Water Street Inn
101 South Water Street
Stillwater, MN 55082Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Charlie’s Restaurant and Irish Pub at the Water Street Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterstreetinn.us/
- Phone: 6514396000
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Mon-Fri: 7:00am - 10:30am Sat: 8:00am-10:30am; Sunday: 9:00am - 12:30am; Lunch: Mon-Sat: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 12:30pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sun-Thur: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Carter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music at Charlie’s Irish Pub located in the Historic Water Street Inn every Friday & Saturday night from 7:30 to 11:30
Past Entertainers -
Paul and Lorraine
Tramps and Hawkers
Two Tap Trio
Hounds of Finn
- Special Events: On Wednesday evenings Charlie’s offers a tremendous value in our four-course wine dinners. Each week’s menu is unique and expertly paired with complimentary wines from various appellations.
A word from Charlie’s Restaurant and Irish Pub at the Water Street Inn
Stillwater's only Historic Hotel and Restaurant on the Riverfront. The award winning Charlie’s Restaurant and Irish Pub at the Water Street Inn serves three meals daily in romantic fine dining rooms or casual pub settings. Located in the Historic Water Street Inn, Charlie’s features Irish-American and Steakhouse cuisine and an expansive beverage selection. Known for live Irish music every weekend, seasonal river-view patios and Jameson Bar. The lush colors and textures of this Victorian-style dining room and the lovely river views provide an elegant dining atmosphere. We offer spectacular outdoor dining overlooking the St. Croix River. For more information go to http://www.facebook.com/waterstreetinnContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Charlie’s Restaurant and Irish Pub at the Water Street Inn - Best Restaurants in Stillwater ›
Charlie’s Restaurant and Irish Pub at the Water Street Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (6)special occasion (3)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)good for groups (1)great for lunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I planned a lunch for my best friend's bachelorette party at Charlie's because it's her favorite place in Stillwater. It took 10 minutes to take our drink order, 15 min to get our drinks and 45 min to pay our bill. The server was nice but very green and was not fit to handle a party of 12. While half of the party is in the service industry and are more likely to let things go, we were extremely disappointed. My friend and I had a reuben and I believe it to be a hard sandwich to get wrong. It came out cold, without much sauerkraut and very little thousand island. We had to send the brisket back and remove from the bill because it was almost all fat. They were out of the prime rib sandwich, even though it was only 1pm.Special Features:
- Pretty goodloriDined on 8/29/2014The walleye in my dinner was good. The potatoes were drenched in gravy which was not mentioned on the menu and the green beans were undercooked. Waitress was not very knowledgeable about the entrees.Special Features:
- Glad We Tried!momof2Dined on 8/9/2014We wanted a place to go that was on the river so we choose Charlie's. When we got there there was a wedding going on so we had to walk through the wedding to get to the hostess stand and it did take awhile for someone to come and help us. Once seated on the covered patio we were happy. Had some good crabcakes and 2 different kinds of sandwiches. Food was really good and it was reasonably priced. The service was a bit on the slow side because of the wedding but we will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charlie's Irish PubResaVIPDined on 7/26/2014The steak was extremely spiced with peppercorns. The service was very slow. The cheese plate was good and the stew was very good.Special Features:
- Delicious, butLocalDined on 7/19/2014I had the Fruits de Mer (seafood pasta) and while it tasted delicious, I spent hours in the bathroom that night. To confirm that it wasn't just me, I asked my friend who dined with me if she had any side effects of having a bite of my dish. She also had some stomach trouble. No one else in our party had any problems.
- Good Location...Service not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014Saturday breakfast location was great (convenient, right on the river), but the service was slow, orders were wrong, refills on coffee were slow, just not a great experience (aside from location)Special Features:
- Not quite what we expectedJulieWIDined on 6/25/2014The food and atmosphere were mediocre at best. They weren't bad, but not exactly the fine dining we were hoping for. The waitress didn't come around much either. It seems to have a lot of potential, but missed the mark.Special Features:
- 54 minute preparation timemphillipsDined on 6/11/2014We arrived at 6:00PM for dinner on Wednesday. We were seated right away. Our server came over and took drink orders within a minute to two minutes. Our drinks came 3 minutes later. We ordered our meals, my wife a seafood dish and I a steak. She returned shortly after taking our order and refilled my wifes water glass, and brought me a refill of my drink. Over the next 54 minutes it took to get our meal, she returned 3 more times and refilled our drinks. Yes, 54 minutes from the time we ordered to the time our food arrived. The food was good, however just based on the wait time to get our order, I would not recommend this place.Special Features:
- The following 311 reviews are from the Charlie’s Restaurant and Irish Pub at the Water Street Inn reviews archive.
- Read the reviews, I was warnedDougDined on 5/21/2014Waited forever for our food. Told there was a 'rush'...yep, three other tables appeared to be dining at the same time. While waiting, wife asked if she could at least get some bread. Nope, that only comes with a pasta meal which hers wasn't. Finally brought her a rock hard roll. Regrettably, this choice will be memorable for our 26th wedding anniversary, but for all the wrong reasons. If you go, do it only for the food [and even then, be prepared to be underwhelmed]. Don't go for the ambiance or service.
- Mother's Day Dissapointment!CWB1Dined on 5/11/2014We had stayed at the Inn and had a good dinner before so decided to take my family including my elderly parents to Mother's Day brunch at Charlie's, Water Street Inn. The cost was high at $27 each but I figured it would be a good and memorable experience for our family. In short, the food was beyond horrible. Dry pork chops too tough to eat which you had to try to fish from the pan with a random spatula rather than tongs. The carved beef was more raw than rare and I like my meet rare! Dry pancake made from instant mix rolled around canned blueberry pie mix (gross!) Store bought dry pastries. As bad as the food was, it was also hard to get as the pans were left empty until one of the teenagers working noticed they were empty. Terrible!CWB
- tough day for Charliesreviewerfeyer33Dined on 5/11/2014We were disappointed. First off the value was not great at all considering the very low quality and lack of preparation for Mother's Day Brunch. For 3 moms and 2 little girls (including Tip), our bill was $120.00. That said, the buffet was out of PLATES, many of the dishes and the food was mediocre at best. The desert table was empty as well. The biggest disappointment was the decorating in the banquet hall, it was nonexistent and seemed cold and overly bright. The servers did work their tails off to try to make things better and I know they were extremely busy, but even so - we won't go back. The outdoor patio looked a bit more inviting and the live music sounded nice.Special Features:
- DisappointeddisappointedDined on 5/11/2014We visited the restaurant for mothers day. On website shows that they have a brunch buffet. When we get there we are informed that the "Lunch items are not served til 11am." How do you have what is called a "brunch" without lunch items. They did say there is a price difference before 10:30 and after 10:30. Our reservation was at 9.:45. The price of the so called brunch was also priced higher than what is shown on the website for the restaurant. Was very disappointed in that what was advertised and what was offered were different. We ended up eating what i would call a Breakfast buffet and paid more that what was advertised online.
- Mother's day brunchNjoyDined on 5/11/2014We were very disappointed. Having heard how great the champagne brunch was, it was a surprise to find that the menu was downgraded, the price was increased, and no champagne. A diner would have been a better choice!Special Features:
- Good, but...EREKDined on 5/11/2014We came on the earlier side of Mother's Day. Maybe we just hadn't done our research before going (this was our first time at the restaurant) but half of the brunch buffet was closed, and we still paid over $25/person. Once we got there, we found out that the 2nd half of the buffet didn't open until later in the day. The food that was available was good, but the pricing certainly didn't seem to match. The view was nice, our waiter was exceptional, and their outdoor area was great to sit at while we were waiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive!JillRoDined on 5/9/2014We love the deck, and had never eaten inside the restaurant. It was terrific. Would go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save Your Money!FoodLoverMNVIPDined on 5/8/2014My husband and I went here as we had a groupon we needed to use. What waste!! We went on a Thursday at 7pm. Our first indication should have been that the place was empty except for 2 others tables. We ordered the stuffed mushrooms with lobster, shrimp etc. No lobster, all other ingredients seemed to have come from a can. We then each had a cup of clam chowder, it was Very bland and runny. I had the garlic shrimp for an entree which not only had little flavor, but also tasted as though they were freezer burnt. My husband had a steak that literally came out still moo'ing after he he said medium.The food here was a COMPLETE disappointment and we will not be returning!
- Historic restaurant with ok foodOutnaboutDined on 5/6/2014Went with two friends for a weeknight dinner. We were the only people there. This is a very historic restaurant and inn so the atmosphere is rather old. Don't expect your typical Stillwater restaurant atmosphere (which we knew ahead of time.) The food was ok. Two of us had pasta and the third person steak which he did say was good. Just seemed average nothing amazing or out of this world.
- SubparOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014I was disappointed with the restaurant. We ate at Charlies for dinner, not the Irish pub. I actually want to go try the pub food. The walleye was loaded with fish bones, the broccoli was overcooked and the rice was just ok. I expected better for the price. It was a disappointing experience for our anniversary dinner.
- Historic gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014Food was excellent, service great and nice Irish music in the bar.Special Features:
- Not an Irish pubJulesPompeyDined on 4/25/2014This was not a pub at all, it was a fine dining resturant and felt very stuffy. The food was over priced but tasted delicious. Would only recommend for special occasions, nothing else.Special Features:
- 1000 point tableImpresarioVIPDined on 4/24/2014Food good but no one to check in. Had never heard of open table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Wanted to Like ItkbecerraDined on 4/20/2014My son (9) and I went here for Easter lunch buffet as my husband was out of town for the weekend and we were looking for something nice to do on Easter. Knowing about the mixed reviews I went into it without very high expectations. And, I am not a big fan of the "as much as you can eat" mentality that pervades our society today. It was simply one of the only options near our neck of the woods on Easter. Now, the review: Much of the "hot" food was lukewarm at the most and not for lack of sitting....many of the buffet pans were EMPTY the first 2 times we went through the line. It was better the 3rd time through (we had hardly eaten any food at this point) but by then I was bored and annoyed with the whole experience. Cannot recomomend.
- HorribleHBryantDined on 4/20/2014I can't actually say anything about the food, because we never made it that far! When we arrived, we were squeezed (literally) into a table that was wedged between two other tables and after it was obvious that we weren't physically able to sit at the table(and we aren't large people) it took the staff fifteen minutes to reseat us as we stood next to our original table looking crazy. There were dozens of open tables at this point, but the kids running the front of house were absolutely no help. They moved us to an empty dining room by putting a third chair at a table clearly made for two! I spoke with the manager and promptly left after half an hour or wasted time! ABSOLUTELY the worst dining experience ever!
- Good music, fair foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014We had a good time, the music was fun, but the food was average compared to the pricing we were expecting. We would come again for the live Irish music and the fun experience in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday nightjokerDined on 4/12/2014Great food as usual. Noisy group in first dining room used us to move into second dining room. Food took longer to arrive than usual. Mentioned this to the server. A little later a manager arrived at our table, apologized for the delay saying that they had a wedding occurring and were slightly understaffed. Offered us both a complimentary desert. Overall service was great. Definitely will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gluten Free FindGoodGlutenFreeDined on 3/28/2014Went there as the website stated they could make almost all menu items gluten free. One of the best gluten free meals I've had in years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an awesome time!luvstillwaterDined on 3/22/2014My mother chose The Water Street Inn for her birthday celebration since it was sort of central for me and my siblings. We were a party of 14 and had a great time, wonderful service and the food was great! Angie did a great job remembering who had what and made sure to keep our beverages full! I would definitely recommend this place for family gatherings or a romantic night out for two!Special Features:
- YummyRdrcr117Dined on 3/17/2014Good food, very reasonable prices, great service! The st. Patrick's day corned beef was very lean and I received a very large portion. The wine list was incredible, that's just my opinion and I'm not a wino. The waitress was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service!HelenDined on 3/15/2014I was there with a group of 14 for evening dinner. I expect service to be slow with that many, but the waitress was also rude! The two children ordered their drinks before everyone else and didn't receive them until asked again at the end of the meal. She never apologized and was very abrupt. The restaurant also ran out of duck and the waitress again was very abrupt with the two gentlemen who had ordered it. Never a smile or thank you from her. Maybe large groups are just too much?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold foodMightyKutDined on 3/9/2014Mixed reviews for the brunch... If you like your waffles and French toast hot... Don't eat brunch here. my husband had an omelette made fresh and that was awesome. My eggs were warm and good. There were a lot of interesting choices and they smelled delicious. I couldn't try everything. Coffee was scarce and just ok. We had breakfast the morning before and that was good, but service was slow and we were charged for extra coffee. Pub food was tasty and the service was very good there. Although I was charged extra to have a drink on the rocks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2014The food was excellent but the service could have been better. Our dinner was brought out before we were finished with our salads and it was hard to get her attention later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't see Irish Pub area-slpetDined on 2/15/2014Didn't see Irish Pub area- might be better ambience and energy there. Outdated simple dining rooms- old style wallpaper & carpet but no added decor to create either a Victorian or Irish feeling in dining area. Staff very friendly. Food was good but nothing special and not worth the price. Menu was expensive and we saw some people leave and go to the Pub after they saw dining room prices. Might try Irish Pub if we go again.
- Easy bar to get into on a weekendSt2598Dined on 2/8/2014Food was good but luke warm. Server was only server in bar and while friendly and knowledgable, service was slower and possibly why food was just warm. Will return again. Neat place and ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waterstreet Innpolis80VIPDined on 2/7/2014The food was expertly prepared and was very good, although it was not quite as good as we had last time. The service was extremely good and the place has a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Service!RussCGDined on 2/1/2014Can't say enough about how good everything was. It was worth every $ I spent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BreakfastSteveDined on 2/1/2014Wonder turn-of-century ambiance to to enjoy a delicious brunch. Good service. The quiet environment makes for relaxing and easy converation without having to shout across the table to be heard, as is required for conversation in other restaurants. Will go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need HelpBradDined on 1/19/2014Awful table service, only one server. Many apologies, food was poor, beer order wrong, pretty much nothing was good.
- Turn on the heater!ElenaD3LVDined on 12/31/2013Charlie's is one of our favorite places to eat and listen to music. We have spent many a NYE ringing in the new year with the Irish music and good food, great beer and great single malts. This time, everyone was leaving - including us - due to the frigid temperature. I had my usual outstanding Cobb Salad so the cold room didn't effect my food. My husband had a hot meal that he had to scarf, barely tasting it as it cooled off so fast because the room was so cold. By 10:30pm, we were so cold, we had to leave - along with just about everyone else. It's usually packed but not this year. Very disappointing and uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Very busy on a Saturday!GurtDined on 12/28/2013The food was absolutely wonderful. It was very busy though that night and they could have used some extra wait staff. It was hard for people coming in around the 7:00 hour to even find a table. The poor waitress was overwhelmed so we didn't have outstanding service (forgot to bring us a couple waters towards the end when we asked) but we looked past that given she was doing the best with the amount of tables she was assigned to. We left her the full tip but the people next to us had horrible service due to how busy it was. She really was on the ball but it was too much for one person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unprofessional restaurant staffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/14/2013Our dinning experience on Dec. 14, 2013, was a disaster. We were seated promptly at 5 pm and that is the only positive for the entire evening. Dinner reservations were made 2 months in advance (our '45th') Our dinner party included 4 adults and 3 children (ages 7,8,9). We ordered and were given an appetizer. Dinner was ordered and still at 6:30 pm no food. I asked the mgr. to deliver the food and desserts to our room. No apologies for the delays. Our cocktails and desserts were compensated. (because we asked). We checked out at 8 am. Upon leaving the hotel, we overheard the (same) restaurant preparing the brunch say "the lady made us bring the dinners and desserts to their room, etc." The "chatting" stopped when they recognized us.