Charlie Was a Sinner
131 South 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Charlie Was a Sinner
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://charliewasasinner.com/
- Phone: (267) 758-5372
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily: 4pm - 2am
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 4pm - 11pm
Friday & Saturday 4pm - 12am
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 4pm - 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Santoro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Charlie Was a Sinner
Charlie was a sinner. is located at 131 South 13th street in beautiful Midtown Village Philadelphia. Owner, Nicole Marquis, showcase a 100% plant based menu that specializes in tapas style small plates. In addition to the tapas food menu is a collective list of strong craft cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Charlie Was a Sinner - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Charlie Was a Sinner reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (102)vibrant bar scene (65)neighborhood gem (65)hot spot (60)romantic (45)special occasion (37)late-night find (30)good for groups (18)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014Good cocktails, but small plates (which is to be expected at a tapas restaurant) but way too pricey for the portions.Special Features:
- "Sinfully" Good!SophiaSpeaksDined on 11/22/2014Two carnivores had an excellent experience at this wonderful vegan place. All of the staff is highly knowledgeable and eager to make sure you a) understand the concept of the place; and b) feel like you've been here often. Our server made wonderful suggestions for food and libation. We were delighted and impressed with the quality and intricate tastes of the foods. Try one from each category to get the full scope of the menu. And if the hot rum drink is available, that's the one to choose! We selected four items and that was enough for us, although if you haven't had a large or late lunch, you might want to go for more than that. We loved the polenta, the fig salad, the Korean fried tofu (it WAS spicy) and the potatoes with mushrooms. My only complaint was the noise: way too loud to have a good conversation, particularly if the people next to you have loud voices. But it wouldn't deter me from coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Wait To Go Back!FromageDined on 11/21/2014I am so impressed with the food. Everything we ate was packed with flavor, and in nice potions so you didn't leave stuffed. For two of us we ordered 7 small plates, probably could have done with 6, but gladly took home some leftovers. The potato croquettes are a must try as is the mushroom and barley toast. We kept ordering food because each dish was better than the last. Interesting cocktails, nice but small wine list. Our server, Melissa, was friendly, attentive and very helpful. She gave us excellent recommendations and was readily available without being intrusive. We were leaving around 10:00 on a Friday night and people were still pouring in. I would definitely go back for dinner and also remember it for an end-of-evening snack -- the small plates are a perfect size for a quick bite. The space is quite narrow so large parties could be difficult at peak dining hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forget what you think you know about vegetablesCrustyCurmudgeonVIPDined on 11/20/2014Why do restaurants try so hard to make vegan food sound like "real food"? When it's as wonderful as this, there's absolutely no reason to use traditional names for it - and it doesn't have to slink across the menu disguised as something it's not. This is simply wonderful fare! Why call a fabulous patty of spiced shredded zucchini a crab cake when it's better than 99% of crab cakes made from crab? Find a name that's both unique and more descriptive, like "squash patty" or "veggie shred" or even "CBCBGIN (could be crab but glad it's not)". The fig salad is amazing, with an incredible vanilla bean vinaigrette that's like nothing we've ever tasted before. The wild mushroom & barley bruschetta is a total delight, the artichokes are other-worldly, & the heirloom beans shame the Jolly Green Giant. The spiced cauliflower and the confit with mushrooms are beyond wonderful. Even the breads that accompany the dishes are stellar - you simply can't eat better than this. The staff are great - we enjoyed meeting & talking with them all. Joe's a delight at the bar, and it really feels like everyone who works there genuinely wants you to have a great time. We did...and we will again, soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around gem!thedantaylorDined on 11/15/2014We visited this vegan hot spot at the recommendation of a local friend while visiting Philadelphia for the weekend, and we were blown away. The food was amazing, the ambiance was stellar, and they have an amazing, unique list of cocktails and mocktails (for the non-drinkers in your party). I wish this place existed in NYC - and it is on my must-go list for every Philly trip from here on out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty vegan foodRachelDined on 11/13/2014I am so glad that another vegan restaurant has opened! This place is really good. It's not as good as Vedge, but could get there... It's also nice because you can get a reservation. The small plates are filling. My spouse and I had 6 (small) plates to share and we were full! There is a great variety of dishes with unique flavors and combinations. They are also flexible about leaving out ingredients for allergy purposes. The servers were very attentive and knowledgeable as well. I also really appreciate the extensive cocktail menu. However, the Beetle Juice is so good I've stuck with it both times I dined there! My spouse and I are vegan but I believe that non-vegans would enjoy this restaurant as well because the flavors are so varied and interesting. Check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portion ControlKateDined on 11/10/2014My first Vegan restaurant and I was a bit dubious at first. The food was very, very good, but the portions were miniscule. Okay, it was vegan tapas, but for the cost we expected more. there were four of us, and we had to get food post theater because we were so hungry. The cocktails were very generous though. Since we are not Vegan, it was one and done for us. Too bad, food was tasty but not enough of it for the price.
- Great find!ReviewerDined on 11/8/2014This was a great Vegan restaurant! The food was so unique and SO good! The same goes for the cocktails. The atmosphere was very cool too. I can't wait to go back and try more of their yummie dishes!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You don't miss the meatklussVIPDined on 11/8/2014A beautifully decorated and comfortable restaurant. The service was perfect. The dishes were served on small plates for everyone to share, so we had an opportunity to try many of the dishes on the menu. The bean and tofu sausages and the cauliflower were stand outs but we enjoyed every dish. There were four in our group, none of us are vegetarians, but we all enthusiastically loved this meal and would return to the restaurant. Also, the cocktail menu is interesting and inventive and the waitress was very good at helping us pick out the perfect cocktails for our tastes.Special Features:
- LynnDined on 11/7/2014Fabulous food, Nicole did it again! The atmosphere is great, and the service was excellent. We tried a lot of different things, loved it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!ksd23i5u3359Dined on 11/6/2014Wouldn't have known it was vegan if they hadn't told me. I eat meat and really like this place. Dishes are good to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/6/2014This bar/restaurant is new and amazing. It has become my weekly spot for awesome cocktails and vegan small plates. Herbivores and carnivores alike will be satisfied with the creative dishes and innovative cocktail list. A must try are the potato croquettes!Special Features:
- Even vegetarians get hungrycriticalcookDined on 11/6/2014Idea is a good one. the portions were too small. The spiced cauliflower dish recommended by the waitress was too vinegary.
- Veggies but not much moreReidVIPDined on 11/5/2014Plates were creative and flavorful, but the whole place lacked something. Also they kept bringing the food even though there was no more room on the tiny table for it. And the pasta was only luke warm so it had been sitting around for a while. I think this is a one and done.Special Features:
- YUMNaifyDined on 11/5/2014Great addition to the Philly vegan scene. Creative, yummy and fun. Food was on high level. drinks were great.Special Features:
- DaniDined on 11/4/2014Food is delicious, cocktails are superb, service is impeccable and the decor is stunning. My colleges and I truly loved everything. A must see when visiting Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan Gem!MelisaDined on 11/2/2014Everything was delicious. Brilliant menu. Mind blowing dishes. Creative drinks. Knowledgeable staff. Inviting atmosphere. Must go back soon!Special Features:
- Charming Place with Good FoodSarsaparillaVIPDined on 11/1/2014Highlights: Cauliflower entrée - spicy and unique, Fava Bean & Gnocchi entrée - unusual and tasty (be sure to order a side of crusty toast with it), Chocolate Dessert (vegan, like everything else, and delicious). Avoid: Arugula Salad - underdressed and bland, Potato Croquettes - mushy texture, bland and heavy. Lovely server - host staff polite and professional. Nice atmosphere, perfect for late night.Special Features:
- We'll be back!Kluvs2dineDined on 11/1/2014Made reservations for Charlie's at the last minute. It was very busy but the staff was friendly and greeted us immediately! Read several reviews so we already knew what to expect. Beautiful interior. We sat at the bar for about 20 mins. until our table was ready. I had a mixed drink but preferred my non-alcoholic beverage much more. Loved the charred caesar, chickpea fries, potato croquettes and the bucatini & meatballs. We did not love the crab cakes. And we sent the chocolate cake back and got a berry tart, which was amazing. Apparently, either you love the cake or hate it! We will be back! The staff was amazing! Everyone was really on point. The bar manager was really awesome and friendly and our server gave us great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/1/2014Food preparation is inconsistent: while leeks were outstanding, for instance, polenta was tasteless.
- Not just for VegansScooterDined on 10/31/2014Many choices with multiple flavors. Spicy meatballs, peppers on toast all delightful and delicious. Will definitely recommend to all. Service was outstanding and the staff was helpful, and very attentive.Special Features:
- Great Vegan foodChairmanMaoVIPDined on 10/31/2014Excellent food, and interesting and delicious mixed drinks. You'll have to ask your server however about half of the ingredients of the drinks. Potato croquettes excellent, as was fig salad. Very noisy though, even away from bar area.Special Features:
- ReservationshatterDined on 10/25/2014We had reservations for a week but were still sat over an hour late. Poor service and indifference to our situation by management.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/24/2014Delicious vegan food, you could take someone who isn't vegan or vegetarian and they would love it. Friendly, great staff all around.Special Features:
- Terrific foodLiamDined on 10/23/2014Great for vegans, vegetarians and carnivores. The vegan food is very creative, excellent taste. Well managed, too.Special Features:
- Great FoodallieDined on 10/23/2014Even if yo are not a vegetarian, the food will make you very happy. Great flavors. The drinks are awesome!Special Features:
- Delightful even if you aren't veganJessicaDined on 10/23/2014Small plates for sharing and well priced for the portions. The mushroom and barley toasts, the polenta and the chick pea fries were out of this world. The vegan ricotta cheese is more like a combo of hummus and baba ganoush but still good. Staff was ridiculously nice and helpful. Highly recommend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome vegan foodjje23Dined on 10/19/2014Loved everything we tried - for those meat eaters out there you won't miss a thing. Love the tapas idea so were able to share and try a lot of things. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Philly has another great vegan spotMicahBVIPDined on 10/18/2014Everyone wants to compare it to Vedge. It is veggie/vegan, but definitely different in style. I had read a mix of reviews on OT. LaBan's review was posted online hours before our reservation--and he was largely positive at "very good." Our meal and service were both excellent. Four of us shared about 12 plates and a round of drinks--with 20% tip and tax, just under 100/couple. All the servers were helpful and timely. There was not a dish we didn't like. The place was packed. We had the good fortune to have a perfect table location at the end of the dining room (we'll request that next time now as well). If you are vegan, it is a must. If not, still a great choice. Great for groups to try everything on the menu. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurantTraceyRachDined on 10/18/2014Great restaurant by the amazing hip city veg owners. So much effort and detail was put into the food and the drinks. Enjoyed this meal very much.Special Features:
- Better than expected..and then somelovemyveggiesDined on 10/12/2014We arrived here for our 6PM reservation on a Sunday night (my birthday and coincidentally National Coming Out Day.) We feared there would be as much chaos and partying indoors as there were outdoors. Howeve, ambience inside was soothing and intimate. Our server seemed to genuinely love each dish in it's own way and explained the menu very well. I think we ordered just about everything. Big hits were the artichokes, cauliflower, potato cups. Also had a lovely chardonnay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food (from a meat eater)kathDined on 10/11/2014The food was fanstastic from the perspective of a meat eater. I would certianly go back and recommendation to my veg and non veg friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food, good drinksHCPEVIPDined on 10/11/2014I'm a vegetarian - so I was looking forward to trying this place. The cocktails were excellent and the service was good. But the food was very disappointing. The broccoli rabe was over-spiced and overwhelmed the taste of the rabe, the chickpea fries were underwhelming. My carnivore friend said that the meatballs and the sausage were acceptable. Two of the three desserts were disappointing - the blueberry tart was good. We went for an early dinner, and by the time we left the place was full and very loud - it was hard to hear the person sitting next to me. A couple of cool things - they had some interesting books on a book shelf across from the bar. And they were projecting a movie onto the wall on the same side as the bar.Special Features:
- Move Over VedgeRickVIPDined on 10/11/2014Charlie Was A Sinner has taken vegan dining to a new level in Philadelphia. There are vegan restaurants and Philly and NYC that get a lot of press, and we've tried 'em all - but Charlie Was A Sinner is a newcomer that's sure to be making a lot of noise nationally. It's unlike any vegan restaurant in the northeast - part hip food, part hot bar: Charlie Was A Sinner's "small plates, strong drinks" approach is clever and fun. The food is just incredible - literally everything we've tried has been a home run. Korean Barbeque tofu, amazing Riccotta on toast, broccoli rabe, chickpea fries, charbroiled salad, and this fall: a cauliflower dish that is just CRAZY good. And the service is absolutely wonderful. Charlie Was A Sinner rocks!Special Features:
- Delicious!MasmDined on 10/10/2014Delicious vegan food with a great selection and variety of items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeHarryVIPDined on 10/9/2014Great restaurant and vibe for all people. A real gem. Non-vegans should NOT be reluctant to try it out!! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!CCFoodieVIPDined on 10/7/2014My boyfriend and I ate at the restaurant last Tues night not knowing it was vegan. We both absolutely loved it!! We never thought vegan food could be so good! The food was so creamy and delicious without any milk or cheese - it was amazing! It is also very reasonably priced. We are definitely going back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingChoiceDined on 10/3/2014We enjoyed dinner here. The food was excellent, the service friendly. It was loud and I found the changing light levels to be a bit annoying. The food was reasonably priced but the drinks seemed quite high to me.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC meal; stellar service!PhillydinerbriVIPDined on 10/2/2014The service was beyond fabulous; we did not particularly love the polenta (although it was fine) and they comped it for us so graciously! I will absolutely return to the restaurant, STAT, and encourage others to do so as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is for cocktails only!PhilafoodEVIPDined on 10/1/2014The space is well designed, and has a really dark saultry feeling. However, The food is disappointing. The menu descriptions do not match the food that comes to your table. I ordered the "famous crabcake "which on the menu sounds as if it is a crabcake only. It then comes out as a sandwich. This is fine, but state this on the menu. I also ordered the baby fennel, and there was none to be found in the dish. Not even a hint of the anise flavoring. I was hoping the food quality to be that of vedge. However, not the case.Special Features: