Charlie Was a Sinner
131 South 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Charlie Was a Sinner
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://charliewasasinner.com/
- Phone: 2677585372x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Happy Hour: 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Santoro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Charlie Was a Sinner
Charlie was a sinner. is located at 131 South 13th street in beautiful Midtown Village Philadelphia. Owner Nicole Marquis and Chef Michael Santoro showcase an 100% plant based menu that specializes in tapas style small plates. In addition to the tapas food menu is a collective list of strong craft cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Charlie Was a Sinner - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Charlie Was a Sinner reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (54)vibrant bar scene (44)hot spot (38)neighborhood gem (33)romantic (24)special occasion (24)late-night find (21)good for groups (10)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- FabulousIndigoVIPDined on 9/19/2014Charlie Was a Sinner is currently my favorite restaurant in Philly. Wonderfully crafted vegan small plates, eclectic cocktails, good wine, funky atmosphere- A gem!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/12/2014Charlie was a Sinner is definitely a unique locale and a welcome addition to the Philly bar/restaurant scene. Cocktails and food were great - the Trouble Maker cocktail & potato croquettes were table favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Vegan Tapas-Style FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/6/2014Every course was delicious! Each dish was creatively prepared and served. We really enjoyed the fun atmosphere. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- I kinda want to keep this a secret!DNGReviewsDined on 9/6/2014This place is so fabulous. I almost don't want to say so because before you know it, it will be impossible to get a table! If you love vegan food, whether or not you are vegan, GO. You will LOVE LOVE LOVE it.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/1/2014Love all the vegetarian dishes- creative and varied. The Korean tofu was amazing Service was great Constant fill of our water glasses with sparking mint flavored water!
- Fun cocktails and tasty tapas.JennCDined on 8/31/2014The Crabcakes, Chickpea fries and the Korean Tofu were my favorites. Place was a little noisy but the service was great. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Sinfully GOOD!BeaVegDined on 8/28/2014Wow! What a great surprise. Loved it! With a name like this, I knew it had to be good..no, GREAT!!! To discover a great VEGAN gem in Philly was so exciting! The decor was different- very creative lighting and wall colors, progressive and chic. Nice modern ambiance. (the constantly running "light show" images was a little annoying if you were sitting at table facing it directly on the wall) The food was amazing, delicious and beautifully plated- everything we ordered (and we ordered a LOT) was creative and Umami. Really loved the combinations of veggies! The food was served quickly, but sometimes the pacing was off Can't wait to go back again:-) Meat eaters- I challenge you to try such great veggie food- you will never eat meat again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZOMGSko0Dined on 8/26/2014This place is so amazing I don't even know what to say about it.Special Features:
- Vegan DelightTeacherizzDined on 8/26/2014What a fabulous find! As vegans, we were thrilled to be able to choose anything on the menu and nothing disappointed. Servers were especially solicitous of one diner's nut allergies. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLBJ2011Dined on 8/23/2014small plates, beautifully executed and absolutely delicious...never thought vegan food could be so memorable...our party of five had many of the dishes together and loved everyone of them, can't wait to go back...just wish the chef would open another one in my neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vegan optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014The menu was interesting and offered some great options..we had the ricotta, mushroom taco, fava bean and gnocchi, grilled Caesar salad, fried spicy tofu, melon gazpacho and crab cakes. The "crab" cake was not our favorite...the spicy tofu was good..nice crunchy spicy outside. The the fava beans and gnocchi were I. A free sauce that was very earthy and grass tasting..almost like a shot of wheatgrass. A little too strong for my taste. The noise level was extremely loud...we arrive at 530 with only a few tables occupied and it was fine but by 700 when every table was full everyone was practically screaming to hear each other. I was glad we tried so e many different vegan options and I would go back to try some others..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBonnieVIPDined on 8/20/2014A pleasurable dining experience for a veggie - so many innovative choices - well presented, tasty and nicely varied! And priced well!Special Features:
- Delightful surprisebeachdreamerDined on 8/20/2014First time at Charlie. Took an out of town vegan colleague to dinner - Charlie did not disappoint! Food was delicious, staff friendly and knowledgable, atmosphere totally fun! This non vegan will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious birthday dinnermarietoppDined on 8/16/2014We came to celebrate my husband's birthday, and the food and service were excellent. We are both vegetarian, and so pleased to see more excellent restaurants opening that cater to that type of meal. Delcious! Our only caveat is that the restaurant is very loud. Don't expect a particularly romantic experience, but we had a lovely evening nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday groupOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014The restaurant was great. Service was superb with lots of attention and servers who seemed to love the menu themselves. Food tasted very fresh and constructed with care. Drinks were very well-made. Tried a little bit of everything and we all had different favorites. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocktails and Vegan Tapascomacow02Dined on 8/9/2014Great little place. I was surprised how good the food was and the cocktails were even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElizaBeetElizaBeetDined on 8/8/2014The food was great at this vegan hot spot - my husband was completely fooled by the "riccota cheese" on toast which was fabulous! It's a small, energetic place filled with a young crowd. Not the best place for conversation if you don't like to talk loudly to be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great in Every WayVeganFanDined on 8/7/2014The food at Charlie Was a Sinner is absolutely fantastic. Creative, beautiful, and tasty. The service was great and vibe really fun. I completely recommend it.Special Features:
- Very Good for AllSNJBobDined on 8/6/2014For vegans and open minded non-vegans alike, there should be something to satisfy any palate. If you aren't a fan of small plates then this may not be your thing however. Thoughtful food prepared with care and excellent service. There is a young bar crowd in the front and a pleasant dining area in the back. Worth a trip and more....Special Features:
- need more like thishuffDined on 8/2/2014Great décor, wonderful food. It is very refreshing to have multiple upscale vegan restaurants to choose from. From the crowd inside it seemed like lots of non-vegans were there too! can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014Need to turn down the volume. Difficult to have conversation. Otherwise , enjoyed the experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth a 2nd tripceksDined on 8/1/2014Table unavailable for our 6:30 reservation, but the staff provided us with complimentary glasses of proseco and menus to review while we waited. Waitress took our order promptly and put n as rush order so we were served quickly and didn't feel too rushed making our 8 o'clock show around the corner at the Forrest Theater. Food was good.Special Features:
- Ideal for the young and deafLocalYokelVIPDined on 7/30/2014While food was imaginative/tasty, and service outstanding, all that was sadly lost in the earsplitting cacaphony that basically obliterated any hope of conversing with our cousins, with whom we looked forward to reconnecting after several years apart. The surrounding parties were so loud & obnoxious that it defeated any attempt to carry on a coherent conversation. Problem was not helped by the fact that each time our server thoughtfully fulfilled our request to turn down the deafening music--which surely was to blame for the elevated voice-decibel level--the volume somehow kept creeping back up. Too many restaurants have missed the memo that people dine out not only to eat, but also to SOCIALIZE (i.e., not scream at each other)!Special Features:
- Wowie!WowieVIPDined on 7/29/2014Four of us dined here two nights ago, sharing nine dishes among us, every one of which was more spectacular than the last. Only one of us was a vegetarian but none of us cared that this was a vegan restaurant, nor should you (unless you are vegan or vegetarian) as, like Vedge, Charlie Was a Sinner blows out of the water every preconceived notion of what a vegan/vegetarian restaurant is like. Every dish offered an explosion of tastes without ever being overdone or precious or ridiculously complex in the way that some tapas dishes have become. It was clear that the chef's intention was to highlight flavors and textures and this was done with tremendous skill. Run - don't walk - to this terrific new restaurant!Special Features:
- High energy, noisy, & great dining!indee33Dined on 7/25/2014A lively spot that offers fresh and delicious cocktails, nice selection of wines by the glass, and great variety of small plate selections that easily combine for a satisfying meal. Hail to the chef. Fun destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PASQVIPDined on 7/23/2014Who could resist a name like "Charlie was a Sinner"? We did not know it was VEGAN, but everything was absolutely delicious! Small plate menu gave us a chance to try different dishes. Bar looked great, but we weren't adventurous in the drink department that evening. Have already recommended it to our friends. Good Luck, Charlie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatDisappointedVIPDined on 7/19/2014Too many interruptions from an inexperienced waitress, but even that couldn't ruin this culinary explosion. Perfect tapas portions and resonably priced. Vedge without the plastic atmosphere. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- Love it!yesse17Dined on 7/18/2014I am a fan of small plates and I am a vegetarian so this was everything I could want in a dining experience. The ambiance is cool and hip, plenty of yummy options on the menu, I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Vegan night out!MsPittsDined on 7/18/2014Tried it for the first time since my college age daughter is a vegetarian. The menu provided many options and perfectly sized - tapas style- so we chose a mix of items to sample. Recommend the chickpea fries and tofu & bean sausage - absolutely delicious! The place is apparently known for exotic cocktails - not a serious drinker and they were a bit too strong for my taste. Nevertheless, glad to find another spot where my daughter can have all selections to choose from!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyone!holidaybabeDined on 7/17/2014Six of us had reservations for a Thursday night, two were not drinking, one was vegetarian and the rest of us were up for anything. Everything from the food to the service to the atmosphere was perfect!! It was packed when we arrived at 845pm and stayed busy until we left around 11pm. We all couldn't believe how satisfying and delicious vegan food could be!! Some of the tables favorites were the Maryland Style Crab Cakes, Meatballs, Gazpacho, Potato Croquettes, Korean Tofu, Bbq Beets, Mushroom & Barley toast to name a few! We tried a number of different cocktails and mocktails. Their take on a Mango Lassi was a table favorite even though it didn't have alcohol. The Bramble and Mezcal Buck were also favorites. Thanks Charlie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 0 reviews are from the Charlie Was a Sinner reviews archive.