Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charliepalmer.com/
- Phone: (202) 547-8100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm.
Closed Sunday & Monday in July & August
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jeffery Russell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Charlie Palmer Steak moves the political power meetings out of the back room and into private dining spaces, sleek enclaves of dark wood where gathering around the table gets things done in the best possible way. A rooftop terrace, which can accommodate 400 guests, possesses the city's most impressive view of the Capitol.
- Special Events: We offer free corkage on domestic wines everyday, Friday imported wines are also free of corkage.
Join us for cocktails on our newly opened patio!
A word from Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
Located in the United Brotherhood of Carpenters headquarters off the wide, open expanse of the National Mall, Charlie Palmer Steak is dedicated to another fine master craft: big, bold American food. Under the direction of Executive Chef Jeffery Russell, the menu stars the best American artisan beef cuts like an aged Angus Rib-eye "Cowboy" steak as well as updated seafood classics such as the Iced Shellfish Platter of lobster, shrimp, king crab, and oysters. Underscoring the patriotic menu, Palmer's innovative wine cube—which appears to be floating on water—features 3,500 bottles of exclusively American wine and over 600 selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (76)notable wine list (51)fit for foodies (49)romantic (38)good for groups (32)scenic view (28)great for lunch (26)neighborhood gem (20)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (11)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (5)late-night find (2)Show More
- Bravo to Charlie Palmer'sMarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 4/18/2014Charlie Palmer's never disappoints! The food, ambience and the entire dining experience from beginning to end is first class! It's the perfect place to bring families and friends for special occasions and just for lunch! It will be a superb experience every time!Special Features:
- Very DisappointingDCDinerVIPDined on 4/18/2014Been some time since I have dined here. Beautiful space, food was delicious and great desserts. But the coldest and most indifferent welcome from the start to exit. Servers disorganized and long long gaps between courses, some guests served and others we had to wait another 5 to 10 minutes for their dish to be served so as we waited food cooled. Lots of staff chatting with each other and paying no attention to the guests. Won't return to this place again.
- Lunch Time Favoritefoodie4lunchDined on 4/18/2014I enjoy lunch here every chance I get. The food selection and service is always excellent. The view is pleasant and the restaurant noise is low enough to hold a private conversation without a problem. I have taken a number of people from my office for special occasions and enjoy the fact that when we have a schedule to meet, we are able to get in and out without feeling rushed.Special Features:
- My family goes to CharlieMikeDined on 4/14/2014My family goes to Charlie Palmer's for special occasions and has never been disappointed. Steaks are the best we've had in town. Love the open atmosphere and moderate noise levels (we could actually have a converstion at a 6 person table).Special Features:
- Best for Price Fixe LunchBrianVIPDined on 4/14/2014Wonderful team. Food was great. Price was reasonable. Location can't be beat. Awesome experience.
- Known for Steaks?SteveVIPDined on 4/12/2014With the word "steak" in its name you would think this restuarant would ahve cooking a medium rare Filet down to a science. We had to send ours back twice. They did the right thing in not charging us for it. The server did the wrong thing when he suggested that we could not see how the steak was cooked very well due to the glare coming in from the window. Very strange. This had been our "go to" special event restaurant. We now need to find another.
- Hit and MissadadVIPDined on 4/12/2014It seems this place provides a widely variable experience. The location is great as was the steak. On the negative side were the sides. Both at our table were just cold (not really the way you'd like to see a multiply baked potato especially). The service was gruff and basically nonexistent - badly deficient timing and attitude. An appetizer was beyond soaked in soy sauce and overwhelmingly salty. When informed upon his asking, the waiter said "Oh," never to check in with us again. The runners were more helpful and informed than those you would expect to provide service. I can see how this place could be great, but sadly it just didn't happen when we were there.Special Features:
- Yummy food, too many lobbyists...DaisyVIPDined on 4/11/2014Charlie Palmer is conveniently located at the base of Capitol Hill which unfortunately means it's a magnet for lobbyists lunches and fundraisers in the private room, both of which give it that annoying networking vibe. People are constantly looking around to see who's there, who's arriving, walking over to another table to schmooze. To me, it detracts from what is otherwise a very good restaurant with excellent food, a bright and light decor, and great service that is attentive and deferential without being obsequious. Everyone from the staff who greet you at the door to the servers are efficient, pleasant and discreet. The steak salad is a favourite, substantial without being overly filling, and the crabcakes are especially delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch!!LKayCDined on 4/5/2014We took my father-in-law there on Sat to celebrate his 80th bday. Our table looked out to the Capitol and the food and service were terrific.Special Features:
- Fantastic DinnerTraceyDined on 4/2/2014I Loved Charlie Palmer's. The location was incredible with a perfect view of The Capitol! The halibut topped with blue crab meat was divine! Hubby's filet could be eaten with only a fork, tender and delicious. The twice baked potato was outstanding and could easily be split between 2 people. The staff was extremely polite and professional. Perfect night for 2 sightseers from Atlanta! Thank you CP!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTravisVIPDined on 3/29/2014The food at CP is wonderful. We love Cp and have many 20 times. This was the first time the service was poor. We will be back, hopefully with a better experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very upscale, great menuDoctorDDined on 3/29/2014The food was excellent and the service impeccable. A very elegant setting quite close to the capital building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Just for Great SteaksDining101VIPDined on 3/28/2014Charlie Palmer's in DC has it all - great steaks, seafood,desserts, ambiance and attentive service. One other big reason we ate there was they have one of the best policies in the city for bringing your own wine. Charlie Palmer's gets what customers are looking for in a terrific restaurant. If you only have 1 night in DC and you want a steak - this is the place.
- Fantastic EverythingBradDined on 3/28/2014Everything was fantastic. From the minute you arrive the check in, coat check, drink service ambiance, wait staff and the chef are all top shelf. We arrived on time for a reservation and we were seated immediately. The wine list is extensive and well rounded, the food was carefully , well prepared and delicious from bread to dessert and the entire wait staff was on the ball.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always FlawlessDeliciousVIPDined on 3/28/2014I frequent CP Steak because I have never been disappointed. This time was no different. I brought in some colleagues for lunch and they had the most fabulous restaurant experience of their life. From the Food to the Service to the Ambiance. It's always a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- on a snowy Tuesday night dinnerBubbaDined on 3/25/2014on a snowy Tuesday night dinner service was full of suited patrons conducting business dinners over a bottle of wine or a martini. The service was attentive but polite and respectful and clearly used to handling a full restaurant. This was my second trip and I ordered the bone in Rib eye which was cooked to perfection and was delicious to the last bite. The only problem is that my prior trip I ordered the bone in NY strip which was equally fantastic! My dilemma is which to order next time, and there will be a next time very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Power Lunching on the HillDiningOneDined on 3/24/2014Great food (but not cheap!) and very attentive service. A great Washington tradition near the hill. For those important lunches when you want the best. It's got to be Charlie Palmers.Special Features:
- Why is it so popular . . .kap1Dined on 3/24/2014Location^3. A quiet and upscale restaurant to take a guest for a celebration. The food is what one would expect: very good flavors, very small portions, very expensive. The service was less attentive than I have experienced at other (similar) restaurants. It is the place to go if one needs to impress a pretentious guest.Special Features:
- Amazing Birthday CelebrationmissylrpVIPDined on 3/22/2014We were seated at a window table with the Capitol lit up just beyond our reach or so it seemed. The service is polished, professional and unobtrusive as expected, but we felt they could be a tad less stiff and a little friendlier. The pomegranite martini was simply the best! Fresh, wonderful flavor. We ordered the burrata w/ beets to begin and we were in heaven! So creamy and we could've stopped there and been happy. We both ordered filets cooked med. My husband's was a little on the rare side but mine was perfect and just wonderful! The dessert was a little surprise...they mistakenly wrote "Happy Anniversary." Didn't matter...it was still very good but should've saved room for something chocolate. Loved my Anniversary/Birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for business dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/20/2014Good food and wine, spectacular view of the Capitol building and all-in-all quite affordable as business dinners go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/19/2014Great place so close to everything- Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/17/2014Worst Service I have had in years. We got water as soon as we sat down and I asked for a wine list. It was 20 minutes before we got a list or anything else. I ordered a NY strip and got a rib eye instead. By that point I was so anxious to leave I didnt bring it up. I ordered a 175 dollar bottle of wine and that service was not suprisingly pretty good. I spoke with 4 different servers but they all seemed confused as to who was supposed to be doing what. My sense is that the problem starts at the top adn that the servers are not trained or supervised as they should be. Servce at Longhorn or Outback is far Superior. I sent in a comment on their website and heard nothing back. I guess I should not have botheredSpecial Features:
- Impeccable service; special eveningDustinVIPDined on 3/13/2014I came to Charlie Pamler to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. It was our first one so I wanted to make it special. I put in my reservation notes that it was an important night. We got an amazing table by the glass wall which looked over to the Captial. They also brought out a beautiful dessert free of charge to the table for his birthday. A wonderful evening we both enjoyed immensely.Special Features:
- Solid ChoiceAnCGDined on 3/13/2014Excellent food in a large, convivial dining room. Given the number of people that were there the night we dined with friends from the city, it's obviously popular with the locals. I'm sure they have their off nights like every other restaurant, but overall it's a very happening place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and setting wonderful,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2014Food and setting wonderful, as always. However, very notable change in service. Now bread comes in a basket, need to wave to get servers attention, etc. It is clear they are cutting costs. Gone are the days where they would bring you black napkins if you were wearing black pants (to avoid the horrible lint problem) or they would bring drink refills for the kids without asking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!SienaItalyVIPDined on 3/5/2014The views from this perfectly situated restaurant match the wonderful service (including one of the friendliest sommeliers in DC) and excellent food. This was one of my best dining experiences in DC!Special Features:
- A lunch reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/5/2014I chose Charlie Palmer for a business lunch based on the location to my clients office and reputation. It didn't cut it on this visit. 12:30 reservation and it took 10 minutes in line to get to the host and be seated. Service felt rushed for us to order and once we did, the food flew out at a blistering speed. Once the food was dropped, we didn't see anyone until the plates were cleared and we were offered desert. We both had hanger steak and my medium rare was overcooked. The vegetables that were plated with it were bland and mushy. We ordered a side of their brussels with pancetta and again, bland and mushy and void of pancetta. Bread pudding for desert was cold. Had to leave my CC on the table to finally get a check.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food and viewWineauxDined on 2/28/2014This "ultimate DC real estate" restaurant caters to the Hill/lobbying community, and most of the menu is priced to the latter. But if you're looking for a class meal, great service, and maybe even somewhere near the Hill with an amazing Capitol View to dazzle guests, there's no place better - and much moreso if you have a small-moderate sized group. They've got two price fixed menus - one with three courses for $25 available to all, and a four course offering with many selections at $35 for a bit larger groups and the potential for a private room (by arrangement), so great food and service are still within reach for most. The extensive US wine collection is worthy as well. Highly recommend for great service and price on small groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- off night for serviceBeJayDined on 2/26/2014The coordination was way off. Steaks came be previous visits have beenfore starters. We had to request steak knives and the wine we ordered. Things got fixed but, this isn't how previous visits have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youSarahVIPDined on 2/25/2014We enjoyed our business evening at Charlie Palmers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced!lovefoodVIPDined on 2/22/2014For a place as expensive as Charlie Palmer's, I would have expected much better service and food quality. From the time we walked into the restaurant (or before - no valet service?), the hostess was not personable, the wait staff were somewhat awkward, not in sync with each other, and also not personable (our waiter did not even introduce himself, he just walked up to our table and started telling us about the appetizer special), and the food was not the same quality as the price paid. It is not a bad place, just not worth the high price tag for what you get in return. Some positives - great wine list, good appetizers, and wonderful desserts. Top negative - not the best steak in DC.Special Features:
- Service below expectations & priceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2014With a four $ rating, I expect impeccable service. I felt like I was interrupting our waiter to get him to take our order who was busy talking to the bus boys. And again, after dinner was long over, we didn't see him, so I asked the bus boy for some coffee. The waiter never checked back with us so we had to ask for coffee refills. He did manage to bring our check right away, but when we asked him to split the check between two credit cards he messed it up and over charged me and had to do run them both through again. $$$$ restaurants should make your business conversations run smoothly. They should anticipate simple needs and get it right. Lastly, the ambiance is only so-so. Not very intimate. We were disappointed.
- Exactly as I remembered...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014This was my second time to dine here and it was exactly as I remembered. As you can see, our dining experience was excellent. The steaks on the menu are large but they offered a smaller size which was perfect.Special Features:
- 5 StarsCdrWileyDined on 2/15/2014The service, food, and ambiance were all outstanding. They allow you to bring your own wine with no corkage fee which was a huge plus. It was one of the best dining experiences I’ve ever had. If you would like to spend the money, I would definitely recommend visiting CPDC when dining in the Nation’s Capital.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charlie Palmer Steaks Still TopsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014This venue is still top of my list. The steaks were cooked to perfection. The sides were fresh and did not appear to be café style fair. The wait staff and manager was really attentive and saw to our every need. My thanks to all for making this a most excellent Valentine's Day evening. I recommend this venue anyone looking for classy, good food place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT UP TO CHARLIE PALMER STANDARDSTomKVIPDined on 2/11/2014We live in New Jersey and have been to Charlie Palmer's Aureole restaurant in NYC three times in the last year - all excellent experiences. So when we visited Washington DC for a night, we picked out this restaurant based on that. What a disappointment. While the service was fine, the food was quite mediocre all the way around. For a premier steakhouse with this pedigree, the meal as not as good as a Longhorn Steakhouse, I am so sad to say. My advise - skip this Charlie Palmer location when in DC.
- Unusual LocationHappifeet2Dined on 2/8/2014The food and service we're outstanding. It just seemed like the actual location was more suited to corporate/daytime visitors than evening guests. The surrounding streets we're almost desolate at 8pm on a Sat night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakMichikoDined on 2/8/2014Good food but lacked the wow quality for the price.Special Features:
- Bad Night!! Bad Chef!Msliz3000VIPDined on 2/7/2014The fish was not cooked in the center. I then spat out the uncooked fish placing it back onto the plate. Mr Brown then got the attention of our garçon and advised him of meal to be cooked properly. The meal was taken away. The meal returned how it was taken away even with the piece of fish I spat out onto the plate cooked and placed before me to eat. I returned it immediately. I dine at Charlie Palmers all the time. I was appalled by what the Chef had done. I had a lost for an appetite. This was my man's celebration gathering and he was so concern that I didn't eat.Special Features:
- Absolutely perfect!McHargmkDined on 1/31/2014My fiancé and I chose this restaurant off open table for a fancy night out and it was wonderful - we had the place to ourselves at 530, had an amazing meal, and great service. They were also very knowledgeable and sensitive to eating gluten free. We highly recommend it for those special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.