Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charliepalmer.com/
- Phone: 2025478100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm.
Closed Sunday & Monday in July & August
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jeffery Russell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Charlie Palmer Steak moves the political power meetings out of the back room and into private dining spaces, sleek enclaves of dark wood where gathering around the table gets things done in the best possible way. A rooftop terrace, which can accommodate 400 guests, possesses the city's most impressive view of the Capitol.
- Special Events: We offer free corkage on domestic wines everyday, Friday imported wines are also free of corkage.
Join us for cocktails on our newly opened patio!
A word from Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
Located in the United Brotherhood of Carpenters headquarters off the wide, open expanse of the National Mall, Charlie Palmer Steak is dedicated to another fine master craft: big, bold American food. Under the direction of Executive Chef Jeffery Russell, the menu stars the best American artisan beef cuts like an aged Angus Rib-eye "Cowboy" steak as well as updated seafood classics such as the Iced Shellfish Platter of lobster, shrimp, king crab, and oysters. Underscoring the patriotic menu, Palmer's innovative wine cube—which appears to be floating on water—features 3,500 bottles of exclusively American wine and over 600 selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (73)notable wine list (52)fit for foodies (45)romantic (34)scenic view (31)good for groups (28)great for lunch (24)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (10)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (1)Show More
- Slacking and Lacking.PoppyDined on 10/11/2014We've immensely enjoyed Charlie Palmer's several times before tonight's visit as both guests and paying customers. The host was less-than-charming, detached but not quite surly. The waiter should be at another restaurant -- I had a hard time hearing him and a worse time understanding him. I'm all for diversity, for sure, but not when it diminishes my dining experience. They had no Grey Goose vodka. There are numerous liquor stores in the immediate vicinity -- make use of them, already. The food was beautifully plated and for the most part delicious. $4 for au poivre sauce was insulting and not tasty! If the chef could see the amateurish presentation in the dining room, he/she would be less than pleased. Will not recommend.Special Features:
- Exceeded Expectations!DarnellDined on 10/10/2014I arrived early so I had a drink at a most vibrant bar with knowledgeable and friendly bartender. Food was great and service was omnipresent. Great business dinner and will return and place this restaurant in my rotation of favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always PleasesHrocksDined on 10/2/2014Any time I'm in DC, I dine here. Customers always enjoy the experience.Special Features:
- Mixed opinionsDisappointedfoodiesDined on 9/27/2014We were impressed with the service at the beginning but it dwindled. Within the first 15 minutes 4 or 5 different people were at our table, we love that. We ordered our food and our steaks were cooked to the opposite requests, mine rare (what my husband ordered) and my husbands turned out cooked to my medium taste. After the food was there we would have loved more of the delicious fig mustard but service just did not return. My husband ordered a martini dry and up and it came 15 minutes later in a low ball glass, warm, and not to his liking. Our water glasses also remained empty for quite some time. The 'compliments of the chef' bites were a nice touch and delicious, just not impressed with the meal and service during.
- poor service spoiled dinnerRterdfghyttgVIPDined on 9/27/2014We have been to Charlie Palmer's several times and this was an unfortunate visit. The food was outstanding but the service was poor- not acceptable when you are spending well over $125/person. I won't blame our waiter because he was capable but they were severely understaffed for a Saturday night. There were two main waiters taking orders (drinks and food) for the entire dining room. There were plenty of busboys clearing plates/empty drink glasses but they have not been trained to ask if you want another cocktail or to see the wine menu when they clear an empty glass. The manager and sommelier didn't seem to notice the problem. Not a level of service expected for the price tag.Special Features:
- SalsunshineDined on 9/26/2014A great experience! We had heard about the restaurant and had only two nights in DC. It was really good. Thoroughly recommend it!Special Features:
- Amazing experienceoverpricedDined on 9/22/2014The service and the food is excellent. We ordered the streak, salmon and 2 side dishes and all were delicious. While we are not big desert eaters, we ordered the chocolate pave since it was a b'day celebration and it was delicious!!! Highly recommended and perfect finish to a great meal.Special Features:
- UnbelieveableScubafoodDined on 9/20/2014What an excellent restaurant. We have been lucky enough to dine all over the world, but this is one of the best restaurants in terms of service and food we have been too. From the moment we walked in early Brad made us feel very welcome at the bar, recommending wines and giving samples. He and the other staff had a real passion for the restaurant and its food. Our waiter (sorry forgot his name) was outstanding and his knowledge of the menu was excellent. The food was outstanding and at just the right level for what we were looking for. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone that loves good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 stars all the wayRyanZDined on 9/19/2014Went here for our annoversary dinner and every part of the meal was special. From the little amuse before the entree to the anniversary cake and the chocolates after dessert we were well taken care of by all the staff. Excellent steaks, the sides were out of this world, and the drinks were superb. For dessert, the trio of creme brûlée was some of the best I have ever had. We loved every minute of our meal here. We will definitely be back to celebrate something else. Thank you to all the staff for making our weddingbee anniversary so special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better look the part!lovegreatfoodDined on 9/17/2014A very nice restaurant with diner service. I'm not sure what happened here... did we not dress up enough? Did we not order enough wine? We got in an order without any talking points about what was great... then someone else brought us food. I had to ask for our check and then find someone to take payment... it was a very weird dining experience. Food was good but not fantastic and we were so uncomfortable it just wasn't worth it.
- Great everything....RonSkiDined on 9/15/2014The service was excellent, the food was fantastic, a greta experience and highly recommend.Special Features:
- Special Occassion DinnerIansladiessocialDined on 9/13/2014It was a special occassion dinner. Service was top notch, food was delicious and it was an enjoyable birthday celebration!Special Features:
- Terrific for birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014We were seated right on time and received exceptional service throughout. The restaurant got my private note about the birthday and gifted the celebrant with a beautiful dessert we chose. The wine list is filled with ones I don't know but the waiter recommended an excellent choice in my price range. Of course our steaks were excellent. Waiter also warned us that the sides are family sized so we ordered accordingly. An excellent evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terribleCreditwherecreditisdueDined on 9/9/2014After being seated by an outgoing and competent fellow, the table service for the balance of the evening was virtually non-existent - 25 minute wait for a second cocktail after flagging down a passing waiter who had difficulty with English ( no one bothered to check back with us ). After dinner was served we never saw any wait staff again until it was time for them to leave the bill - at which time they were immediately back to pick up the credit card!! We have entertained business guests here many times over the years but this past visit will be our last. Other DC high quality restaurants do a far better job of attentive service.Special Features:
- Great food, mediocre servicejb1968Dined on 9/9/2014The food was fantastic! Steaks are awesome and prepared to perfection. We had a great time. Service is lackluster for a high end place. Empty glasses, unattentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KillerCountVronskyVIPDined on 9/9/2014Total package here. Get business done with no worries. Focus on business while Charlie takes care of everything else. Insiders know how important this is.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner - but...PatriciaDined on 9/5/2014We had an outstanding dinner at CP's Steakhouse; however, while the service was good, it was not exceptional. Our waiter did not know the answers to the questions we had and had to get the Captain each time. In other fine dining establishments, the Captain typically takes your order rather than the waiter. And, while the waiter did know the wine to get, he was rather aloof and just not up to the standards of fine dining. Additionally, if the restaurant wants to attract a bar crowd, they should put up a dividing wall so that those in the dining room cannot see the TV nor hear the loud music coming from the bar. This was probably our best meal (food wise) in 3 nights in DC...just disappointing service.Special Features:
- fantasticRegmrgVIPDined on 9/3/2014the best restaurant on the hill easily, and one of the best in dc .Special Features:
- Dining on Capitol HillMarkVIPDined on 8/30/2014Did not disappoint! Food was very tasty and original. Oysters in the half shell were clean and fresh. Steak was so flavorful that the 5 different mustards choices that accompanied it was not necessary! Desserts was up to par with the rest of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer DinnerFoodGuyDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant has a beautiful interior, and friendly staff. I had four in my party, two meals were delicious, the other two left something to be desired. The New York Strip was fantastic, but the Filet Mignon had a large amount of fat and gristle. One of my guest ordered Halibut, it came out over cooked. My last guest had the Pork Chop, it was delicious. The potato puree was amazing, but the asparagus was limp and un-flavorful.Special Features:
- awesome lunchHarryVIPDined on 8/29/2014We lunched at the bar, where we chatted amiably with the bartender throughout. He was wonderful, generous with his time and information about the menu and other things. The food was prepared perfectly and served artfully, but so bountiful that it took a couple of days before we could eat again.
- DisappointingfoodietouristDined on 8/22/2014We chose this restaurant based on the description that it had a great view of the Capitol. Not in the summer time! We were at street level and all the trees blocked any view of anything. Food was good, but not as good as many other steakhouses we have been too. Overall it was a bit of a disappointment.Special Features:
- 30 minute wait for menusAnonymousVIPDined on 8/22/2014We love Charlie Palmer, but while the food was great the service was terrible. The restaurant was empty, and I had to call a server over after 30 minutes. While he was apologetic, I find it unacceptable to wait for 30 minutes for a menu. Someone came over to take our drink order and decant our wine but then nothing until I flagged someone down to come help us. I shouldn't ever get that abysmal level of service at a restaurant - let alone one where the meal costs nearly $100 per person without alcohol. I am not sure we will go back to what was one of our favorite special occasion places.
- Tony HornTonyVIPDined on 8/20/2014In all honesty this was a major disappointment. I ordered the filet mignon and I have never seen so much fat and gristle on a steak from such a reputable establishment. Whether it's lunch or dinner they should no better. They took the easy way out and it cost them a customer. I can't see ever returning.
- Food disappointed for rest. weekprichDined on 8/16/2014Went for restaurant week and was disappointed with the food. Someone should have tasted the beet salad before sending it out - the red beets were barely palatable, tasted like someone dumped an entire jar of salt on them. Others at the table had the same problem with the beets. Ambiance and service amazing as always.
- Food is the star of the showChefWhoDinesOutVIPDined on 8/16/2014Dined at CP for Restaurant Week. Great menu - the pasta to start was like a gourmet chicken noodle soup, the branzino for the main was perfectly cooked and the skin was crispy and amazing, and I love the fact that the chef used celery leaves as an ingredient in the dish, not just as garnish. The plum cobbler was a great end to the meal. Our server was nice and had good knowledge and recommendations, but the gentleman that greeted us who I assume was the sommelier was pompous and arrogant. I understand that it's Charlie Palmer, but especially in DC, you never know whom you're serving. It's insulting to assume that your guests know next to nothing about wine and food, and should never be expressed in your manner or attitude.Special Features:
- RowanMaeDined on 8/15/2014Went here for Restaurant Week, hoping they would offer a different Restaurant Week menu, but it was the same, so that was a disappointment. The service overall was not as stellar as my previous visit (also during a Restaurant Week)Special Features:
- Skip this oneGreattasteDined on 8/15/2014Overpriced and veeeeeeery mediocre food. Dry pork chops, tasteless dessert. The best part was the ambiance and the free chocolates at the end.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Surprise DelightBluemoonzDined on 8/15/2014We visited for restaurant week and, in comparison to such outings elsewhere, the value, quality, and service were outstanding. The chilled corn soup and hangar steak with risotto were both outstanding and worth trying again next time.Special Features:
- had a great time.dcchefDined on 8/14/2014Had a wonderful night with my gifriend here. We got a tour of the rooftop, what a great view! Also got a tour of the kitchen from the chef. An absolutely exceptional meal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationsLovetodineoutDined on 8/14/2014The food was good, but not excellent. After reading the reviews I guess my expectations were too high. You would get a much better dinner - and less expensive at Ruth Chris or Morton's. The service was excellent, this restaurant was just not worth the price in my opinionSpecial Features:
- Simply wonderfulRobRVIPDined on 8/14/2014I visited during restaurant week and Charlie Palmer's again proved why they are one of the best. The chef's offerings still included steak in the prix-fixe menu. From the handmade pasta appetizer to luscious chocolate mousse everything was prefect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WORMDined on 8/14/2014I always enjoy Charlie Palmer, and the food is always delicious, and the service is excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- something has changeduknelijahDined on 8/13/2014I've been to CP at least 5 other times and my latest experience sadly might be my last. Shortly after being seated the waiter forgot about us and we couldn't actually order for 45! - we had to tell the water guy and then a general floor manager before we finally got service. The food was good but not to the degree it had been in the past. I found it all very ordinary very was not why I choose the place. I'm overall disappointed with the experience which is same because it was my go-to steak house.Special Features:
- walkDined on 8/12/2014Once again, very pleased with the food and the service. Selected from the Restaurant Week menu and totally satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale DiningJoeIIIDined on 8/12/2014Extensive wine list, knowledgeable server, small portions, but tender cuts of steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb restaurantJbrayVIPDined on 8/6/2014This place is one of my favorites in DC. Every time I come, I try to have dinner here at least once. The location is near the US Capitol and with the right table you have a great view of the Capitol dome. The service is excellent--good attendtion, but not overbearing. The food is outstanding. My favorite is the Cowboy Rib Bye--they have excellent starters and sides. I usually try to leave room for dessert. They have an excellent wine list, but you can also BYOB--which is unusual for such a fine restaurant. Do yourself a favor and stop by some time.Special Features:
- RuthsChrisFanVIPDined on 7/29/2014The food was excellent. We ordered the bone in steaks and they came out perfect. Our problem was that we ordered wine, however, we didn't receive the wine for 20 minutes into our meal. We actually had the manager bring us the wine. The staff was friendly, but someone dropped the ball. Had they gotten the wine part right, I would have given them an outstanding.Special Features:
- Not celiac friendlyCrusherDined on 7/29/2014Waiter claimed to understand celiac (no wheat) issue, but I had to send back my appetizer (didnt know the soft-boiled egg in it would be deep-fried), and the entrée (steak had bread crumbs scattered on top). Brought a dessert menu but had no idea which items might be gluten free. Just bad service.Special Features:
- I expected better4HiMarksVIPDined on 7/28/2014This was supposed to be one of the Premiere steak houses in DC, in the shadow of the Capitol, where movers and shakers cut deals over a big steak. The steak was indeed good, but the rest of the experience left much to be desired. The manager, Todd, had a big stain on his tie, and was missing the top button of his suit jacket. The service was only so-so. My sister styles herself as a creamed spinach expert, and says it was the worst she has ever had. It wasn't really even creamed, just sauteed. The pureed Yukon Gold potatoes were very smooth and creamy, and the desserts were excellent, but for what I paid, I would just as soon have gone to a Ruth's Chris or Morton's.