Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charliepalmer.com/
- Phone: 2025478100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm.
Closed Sunday & Monday in July & August
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jeffery Russell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Charlie Palmer Steak moves the political power meetings out of the back room and into private dining spaces, sleek enclaves of dark wood where gathering around the table gets things done in the best possible way. A rooftop terrace, which can accommodate 400 guests, possesses the city's most impressive view of the Capitol.
- Special Events: We offer free corkage on domestic wines everyday, Friday imported wines are also free of corkage.
Join us for cocktails on our newly opened patio!
A word from Charlie Palmer Steak - DC
Located in the United Brotherhood of Carpenters headquarters off the wide, open expanse of the National Mall, Charlie Palmer Steak is dedicated to another fine master craft: big, bold American food. Under the direction of Executive Chef Jeffery Russell, the menu stars the best American artisan beef cuts like an aged Angus Rib-eye "Cowboy" steak as well as updated seafood classics such as the Iced Shellfish Platter of lobster, shrimp, king crab, and oysters. Underscoring the patriotic menu, Palmer's innovative wine cube—which appears to be floating on water—features 3,500 bottles of exclusively American wine and over 600 selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Charlie Palmer Steak - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (85)notable wine list (51)scenic view (43)fit for foodies (41)romantic (38)great for lunch (27)good for groups (25)hot spot (13)neighborhood gem (11)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2014We chose this restaurant based on the description that it had a great view of the Capitol. Not in the summer time! We were at street level and all the trees blocked any view of anything. Food was good, but not as good as many other steakhouses we have been too. Overall it was a bit of a disappointment.Special Features:
- 30 minute wait for menusAnonymousVIPDined on 8/22/2014We love Charlie Palmer, but while the food was great the service was terrible. The restaurant was empty, and I had to call a server over after 30 minutes. While he was apologetic, I find it unacceptable to wait for 30 minutes for a menu. Someone came over to take our drink order and decant our wine but then nothing until I flagged someone down to come help us. I shouldn't ever get that abysmal level of service at a restaurant - let alone one where the meal costs nearly $100 per person without alcohol. I am not sure we will go back to what was one of our favorite special occasion places.
- Tony HornTonyVIPDined on 8/20/2014In all honesty this was a major disappointment. I ordered the filet mignon and I have never seen so much fat and gristle on a steak from such a reputable establishment. Whether it's lunch or dinner they should no better. They took the easy way out and it cost them a customer. I can't see ever returning.
- Food disappointed for rest. weekprichDined on 8/16/2014Went for restaurant week and was disappointed with the food. Someone should have tasted the beet salad before sending it out - the red beets were barely palatable, tasted like someone dumped an entire jar of salt on them. Others at the table had the same problem with the beets. Ambiance and service amazing as always.
- Food is the star of the showChefWhoDinesOutVIPDined on 8/16/2014Dined at CP for Restaurant Week. Great menu - the pasta to start was like a gourmet chicken noodle soup, the branzino for the main was perfectly cooked and the skin was crispy and amazing, and I love the fact that the chef used celery leaves as an ingredient in the dish, not just as garnish. The plum cobbler was a great end to the meal. Our server was nice and had good knowledge and recommendations, but the gentleman that greeted us who I assume was the sommelier was pompous and arrogant. I understand that it's Charlie Palmer, but especially in DC, you never know whom you're serving. It's insulting to assume that your guests know next to nothing about wine and food, and should never be expressed in your manner or attitude.Special Features:
- Skip this oneGreattasteDined on 8/15/2014Overpriced and veeeeeeery mediocre food. Dry pork chops, tasteless dessert. The best part was the ambiance and the free chocolates at the end.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Surprise DelightBluemoonzDined on 8/15/2014We visited for restaurant week and, in comparison to such outings elsewhere, the value, quality, and service were outstanding. The chilled corn soup and hangar steak with risotto were both outstanding and worth trying again next time.Special Features:
- had a great time.dcchefDined on 8/14/2014Had a wonderful night with my gifriend here. We got a tour of the rooftop, what a great view! Also got a tour of the kitchen from the chef. An absolutely exceptional meal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationsLovetodineoutDined on 8/14/2014The food was good, but not excellent. After reading the reviews I guess my expectations were too high. You would get a much better dinner - and less expensive at Ruth Chris or Morton's. The service was excellent, this restaurant was just not worth the price in my opinionSpecial Features:
- Simply wonderfulRobRVIPDined on 8/14/2014I visited during restaurant week and Charlie Palmer's again proved why they are one of the best. The chef's offerings still included steak in the prix-fixe menu. From the handmade pasta appetizer to luscious chocolate mousse everything was prefect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WORMDined on 8/14/2014I always enjoy Charlie Palmer, and the food is always delicious, and the service is excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- something has changeduknelijahDined on 8/13/2014I've been to CP at least 5 other times and my latest experience sadly might be my last. Shortly after being seated the waiter forgot about us and we couldn't actually order for 45! - we had to tell the water guy and then a general floor manager before we finally got service. The food was good but not to the degree it had been in the past. I found it all very ordinary very was not why I choose the place. I'm overall disappointed with the experience which is same because it was my go-to steak house.Special Features:
- walkDined on 8/12/2014Once again, very pleased with the food and the service. Selected from the Restaurant Week menu and totally satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale DiningJoeIIIDined on 8/12/2014Extensive wine list, knowledgeable server, small portions, but tender cuts of steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb restaurantJbrayVIPDined on 8/6/2014This place is one of my favorites in DC. Every time I come, I try to have dinner here at least once. The location is near the US Capitol and with the right table you have a great view of the Capitol dome. The service is excellent--good attendtion, but not overbearing. The food is outstanding. My favorite is the Cowboy Rib Bye--they have excellent starters and sides. I usually try to leave room for dessert. They have an excellent wine list, but you can also BYOB--which is unusual for such a fine restaurant. Do yourself a favor and stop by some time.Special Features:
- RuthsChrisFanDined on 7/29/2014The food was excellent. We ordered the bone in steaks and they came out perfect. Our problem was that we ordered wine, however, we didn't receive the wine for 20 minutes into our meal. We actually had the manager bring us the wine. The staff was friendly, but someone dropped the ball. Had they gotten the wine part right, I would have given them an outstanding.Special Features:
- Not celiac friendlyCrusherDined on 7/29/2014Waiter claimed to understand celiac (no wheat) issue, but I had to send back my appetizer (didnt know the soft-boiled egg in it would be deep-fried), and the entrée (steak had bread crumbs scattered on top). Brought a dessert menu but had no idea which items might be gluten free. Just bad service.Special Features:
- I expected better4HiMarksVIPDined on 7/28/2014This was supposed to be one of the Premiere steak houses in DC, in the shadow of the Capitol, where movers and shakers cut deals over a big steak. The steak was indeed good, but the rest of the experience left much to be desired. The manager, Todd, had a big stain on his tie, and was missing the top button of his suit jacket. The service was only so-so. My sister styles herself as a creamed spinach expert, and says it was the worst she has ever had. It wasn't really even creamed, just sauteed. The pureed Yukon Gold potatoes were very smooth and creamy, and the desserts were excellent, but for what I paid, I would just as soon have gone to a Ruth's Chris or Morton's.
- Not worth the moneyDojoVIPDined on 7/23/2014For the prices charged I would have expected steak that was the quality of a high end steakhouse. Not the case. Filet mignon was so fatty I had to send it back for a steak. Noise level was extremely loud. For the same money you would be much better off at R.C. steakhouse.
- CPOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/22/2014Charlie Palmer's has stepped up it's game and highly recommended ; had a perfect steak -- much better than last experience there -- well done!Special Features:
- Happy Birthday!ScoopDined on 7/18/2014Surprise for our son and such a surprise. Outstanding all around and so pleased that the manager came for a chat. Palmer's is a must if in DC. Will stop next time in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so steakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/15/2014As a relatively recent NYC transplant to DC, I was hoping that this would come close to the experience one has in the great steakhouses of NYC. It just doesn't measure up - steak was well seared and nice and medium rare inside, but was more or less room temperature when it arrived. I understand one has to let it rest, but I don't recall ever having a steak served that way. The side of asparagus was definitely not good - tree trunk sized asparagus that had no flavor - the mustard sauce they came in was watery and tasteless. I know Charlie Palmer is going to open a place in Manhattan soon, but he better have a better game plan than this.
- Charlie Palmer's never disappointsMarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 7/15/2014Outstanding food, ambiance and service! Always consistent and delicious. You can actually have intimate conversations without interruptions or noise from other tables. One of my absolute favorites in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic DC steakhouseKevinheadDined on 7/11/2014Charlie Palmers is expensive, but you get every cent that you pay for. Fantastic seafood and steak and sides. Being able to bring your own American wine for free is a fantastic plus and a great way to offset the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLubyDined on 7/9/2014The service and food was great. I took my best female friend for her birthday and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- laylamanDined on 7/3/2014The food was abosolutely out of this world. Loved the menu choices. Presentation was awesome. Had to take photos. Everything was prepared to perefection. Great selection of breads. Deserts were to die for. I would recommend this place to anybody.Special Features:
- Disappointing Steak and ServiceNilesVIPDined on 6/24/2014Went to this restaurant with high expectations and ended up with surprisingly mixed results. The most disappointing part was the steak - the filet mignon was far from tender. It had a lot of grizzle and was quite chewy - not at all what I would expect from an expensive steakhouse. The sides that we ordered - asparagus and mushrooms were excellent. The Béarnaise sauce was very good. But the steak was a real disappointment. Plus, the steak was overcooked the first time (had to send it back) and was undercooked the second time. Service was a mixed bag as well. At first it was very good. When the steak was not properly cooked, they immediately offered to replace it. But, when the new one came out no one came to check on us for quite a while.Special Features:
- Below average.Tma1Dined on 6/20/2014We were visiting DC from Los Angeles and wanted to try this recommended steakhouse with views of the capital. We were very disappointed. We have been to way better steakhouses with way better good and service. Food was average and the service was horrible. They couldn't even get our second round of drinks out (just a soda and. Glass of wine) during our meal... Why would it take so long to serve such simple drinks?! Would not return and would not recommend. The other reviews that mentioned these issues were on point. No wonder the restaurant was half empty on a Friday night! Definitely not worth the high prices, which we wouldn't mind paying had it been worth it!Special Features:
- Best romantic spot near CapitolgeegeeDined on 6/20/2014This is my favorite restaurant near the Capitol so we went there on my birthday. We sat at a wonderful window table. Everything was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate!Chatterboxx1969VIPDined on 6/20/2014I made this reservation for my parents' to enjoy their 50th anniversary. They thoroughly enjoyed the service, the food and entire experience. Thanks for making my parents feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, but worth itSheilaDined on 6/13/2014My friends and I chose from the price-fixed menu, which is a great bargain. We really enjoyed the selection and the quality of food. Everything was prepared to perfection and melted in our mouths. The service was a little slow and we had to wave for the waitress' attention a few times, but overall it was a good experience. As a side note, it was lunchtime when we went the world cup was playing in an area in or near the kitchen. Everytime the teams scored a goal we'd hear loud cheers coming from the kitchen, which made it a whole lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is the starHappilyfedDined on 6/11/2014This incredible steakhouse on the mall was a perfect choice for our anniversary. The halibut and filet were amazing and the dessert was perfection. The wine list is a nice mix of fancy bottles and solid mid price choices. The restaurant is a cool mix of quiet, romantic coves and a vibrant bar scene. No mTter where you eat, the food is fantastic and the service is incredible. Our waiter, Bobby, was a professional. Our glasses stayed full, his recommendations were spot on, and our dinner was perfectly paced. This place is worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great standardJDH1Dined on 6/11/2014Food, wine and service is always impeccable. Would recommend to anyone looking for a high quality food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014wait staff were incredibly helpful getting us in - out (we were working on rushed schedule)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but slow servicedbdcVIPDined on 6/10/2014Charlie Palmer's is definitely a place to be seen in the middle of a week when Congress is in session. The reservation was for 8 pm. We sat down about 750, ordered wine for the table and a few people ordered salads. The wine came immediately but the salads took about an hour to be served. The entrees, which were excellent,eventually arrived at 945 pm, nearly two hours after we sat down. People at our table were joking that the chefs must have gone on strike. Anyhow, the food was great but the service was very slow. One of the assistant managers did apologize, which was nice.Special Features:
- DisappointingMiekDined on 6/10/2014Charlie Palmer was recommended to us and we were quite excited to go there for a work dinner where I had invited a potential fundraiser and our CEO. His steak was chewy, her salmon was overdone. The fries were way too salty. Service was haphazard (lots of different waiters) and not ver unfriendly, but not very friendly either. The restaurant is pricey and certainly too expensive for the food they serve. My suggestion is that they spend less time making the plates and more actually cooking quality food. I will not ever dine there again, let alone take guests and business associated there.
- Simply The BestRagingmunkyzDined on 5/31/2014This was my third time at Charlie Palmers and it remains without a doubt the best restaurant experience I've had to date. The service is unparalleled, the food is perfection, the wine list is diverse and extensive. Everyone is friendly, knowledgable and professional. Yes, it is quite pricey, but you get what you pay for, and in this case, you're paying for the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Had an amazing dinner here. The appetizers were very creative and executed to perfection. The NY Strip was so flavorful and cooked perfectly. Cant wait to come back and try it again. Hands down the best Steak House in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2014There is nothing special about this restaurant other than its location. I've eaten in fine restaurants all over the world. I've eaten in many of the highly regarded places in DC. CP isn't remotely close to any of them. The food wasn't bad, but steaks at Ryan's Family Steakhouses aren't bad either. Not worth the money. Don't go.
- Capitol ViewLadmantVIPDined on 5/17/2014Majestic view, perfectly charred steak, huge salads. Portions are sizable enough to share. Loved the hangar steak, which I don't find often in American steakhouses. A great meal for a great evening.Special Features: