Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill'
5226 Shaw Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill'
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charliegittos.com/
- Phone: 3147728898x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian
- Executive Chef: Charlie Gitto Jr.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full catering service. Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill' can accommodate private dining for up to 100 guests.
- Special Events: Private banquet space available to accomodate 10- 100 people. Please call for details
A word from Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill'
Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill' has been a St. Louis dining tradition for over 25 years. The restaurant boasts a menu of Italian favorites including pasta, veal & chicken entrees plus delicious steaks & seafood specialties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill' - Best Restaurants in The Hill ›
Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill' reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (138)neighborhood gem (122)romantic (109)fit for foodies (78)notable wine list (60)great for outdoor dining (60)good for groups (51)hot spot (19)late-night find (9)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- John KnechtStudentDined on 10/19/2014The food was best ever, service should be rated as a 6 star, and price value was fair. It was our anniversary and they treated us to a free dessert, Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, as usualChuckDined on 10/17/2014Dined at Charlie Gitto'd while on a recent trip back to St. Louis. The pasta was great as usual, but the peppercorn steak was awesome. Service is some of the best we have ever had and they accommodated my daughter's gluten free diet very well.Special Features:
- Back on the HillDoughtyVIPDined on 10/15/2014having lived in St Louis area years ago it is always a pleasure to return for Italian on the Hill, custard at Ted Drews and Cardinal baseball..we were not disappointed. Service and food quality was as I remembered it at Charley Gitto's, outstanding. Veal dishes and toasted ravioli knocked it out of park...and a wine suggestion, reasonably priced, was fantastic....everyone I take there that has not been , raves about the place....nice job...Special Features:
- Disappointing Service; Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014It was our anniversary. We were seated 30 minutes late for our reservation. The dining room was freezing cold and when the hostess went to retrieve my wife's coat she forgot and I had to walk up o the front to get the number from her (which was still in her pocket) and (at no fault of the waiter) he was busy with numerous tables and there was significant lag time between course orders. Nice waiter but too spread out. The food was awesome and the quality you expect from this St. Louis institution. My second experience with below par service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion Family DinnerKeelinDined on 10/9/2014We enjoyed having a pleasant dinner to celebrate a birthday. The meal was delicious. Our table location was a bit crowded and the area was very noisy. Service was not up to par as compared to the several other occasions when we have eaten there. After dinner, we were never offered coffee or desert. Finally we had a gentleman filling the water glasses find our waiter so we could proceed with ordering dessert. There was a large private party that seemed to impact our service.Special Features:
- Charlie G's when you in St. LouisdiningdivaDined on 10/9/2014We have been several times when we are in the St. Louis Area. Food is great, wine list fantastic, wait staff caring with great recommendations and atmosphere superb. Food is the best on the Hill. We've tried others but this is the bestSpecial Features:
- Perfect for client meetingBabadooDined on 10/6/2014We had studio executives in from Hollywood and the back room was perfect. It was quiet yet still had the feel of the restaraunt. The food was excellent. Our LA guests were impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Naples4Dined on 10/4/2014Enjoyed a lovely dinner with our daughter while visiting her at Wash Univ. Great service, wonderful food and wine. We will definitely return for another meal.Special Features:
- best of everything!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014A perfect dining experience and great place to celebrate a birthday. Food, service, and atmosphere were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early for a flight out of St LouisHoustonbbound2Dined on 10/3/2014We were trying to decide how to kill time waiting for our flight, so we chose Charlie Gitto's ! Outstanding everything , food and service . Tomas and Jeffrey were excellent, with Tomas extremely professional. Don't hesitate on CG's !Special Features:
- Delicious Authentic ItalianshantiDined on 10/3/2014This was our first time visiting St. Louis, my family and I all had delicious meals here, from the fresh beet & fennel salad to baked spaghetti & Meatballs & Eggplant Parmesan. The wine was yummy & our service was very attentive and friendly. They even had a taxi waiting for us when we were finished with dinner so we could head to the Scott Trade center for a concert after. I would definitely recommend and we can't wait to go back the next time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!Penny4yourthoughtsDined on 10/2/2014What a wonderful restaurant. We ate at their location on The Hill on a Thursday night while visiting St. Louis and it was perfect. The food and service were both outstanding. I would go there again in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as much fun as our first visitFormerchefDined on 10/1/2014We were a little disappointed in the restaurant after a very favorable impression the first time. Everything was OK. It was not as much fun or tasty as the first time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mizzou4us4Dined on 9/28/2014Birthday celebration with another couple. Food was excellent. Really like the Sunday evening availability. We'll visit again, may try the patio the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous steaks; "Mad Men" ambienceMelkatDined on 9/28/2014We are new to the city, and took a "foodie" business guest from San Francisco here. Lobster bisque and beet salad starters were delicious. Two steak entrees were exquisite -- both meat and toppings -- and cooked truly rare as we requested. Pricey but probably "prime", and worth it. Veal saltimbocca was less satisfying -- the main taste to me was salt, but would probably have been MUCH more enjoyable with a glass of carefully-chosen wine. (Alas, I was trying to stick strictly to my Atkins diet -- my loss!) Service was very friendly, old-school professional, and attentive, almost anachronistic, as if we were dining out in a "Mad Men" episode. In all, a very pleasant outing on "The Hill" -- even for celiac- and Atkins-diet-restricted diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingRockDined on 9/28/2014We go to this restaurant periodically for special occasions, and they always exceed our expectations.Special Features:
- Our First VisitLovetheHillDined on 9/27/2014We loved the quiet, low lighting atmosphere inside, the music and the overall cleanliness. The food was excellent with generous portions. The waiters were very attentive and polite. Will definitely be going back again.Special Features:
- Excellent as always!DanandJayneDined on 9/24/2014We love coming to Charlie Gitto's on the Hill! It is our special place to go. Service is always excellent and the food is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not disappoint.HappyDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I ate here to celebrate our anniversary. Our experience couldn't of been better. Great service from Nick and top notch food. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014As always, our meal was wonderful and the service was just as great! We love dining at Charlie Gitto's.Special Features:
- Good not greatJohnDined on 9/19/2014Host and server excellent. Our dishes ( veal saltimboca and chicken spedini) were blandly presented and nothing special on the palate. Would have expected more from this Hill classic. Maybe if you stick to the plainer pasta dishes it would be ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here...ItalyboundDined on 9/19/2014I am always skeptical about Italian restaurants. They very so greatly in quality and overall flavor. This restaurant stands above the rest! Attention to detail, stellar service, and piping hot delicious food wins me over with a plan to return. Fantastic wine selection!Special Features:
- Charlie Gitto's on The Hill4lovefoodDined on 9/17/2014We hosted an out of town guest who is Italian. After reviewing several restaurants on The Hill he chose Charlie Gitto's and was pleasantly surprised by the courtesy he received by the host and hostess, the waiters and more importantly by the food. We all found the food to be exceptional and we all agreed Charlie Gitto's on The Hill is definitely a place to return to in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal. Wonderful eveningswfloridaladyVIPDined on 9/16/2014We took our parents to Charlie Gitto's for dinner on a Tuesday night. It was so nice. The restaurant decor was lovely. Our waiter was awesome and the food was delicious. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple Great ItalianEnzoswiftDined on 9/15/2014Outstanding old school restaurant where anything ordered is executed with perfection.Special Features:
- My birthday dinnerMaggieDined on 9/10/2014We had our first "official" date at Charlie Gitto's 26 years ago, then went back again for our 10th wedding anniversary. This time we went there for my birthday celebration. It is still a very special place for us. Food, service, atmosphere, music was all quite nice! Loved the HOT coffee with my birthday cake at the end of our meal. Would definitely go again. Maggie and MikeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charlie Gitto'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014You must try Charlie Gitto's when on the Hill. Outstanding food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saint CharlesMaciDined on 9/6/2014First visit with friends from out of town. A top 3 mean experience since moving to the area 2 years ago. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been...happygoluckyDined on 9/5/2014We planned a special night for our anniversary and was very excited about going to this restaurant and had heard great things about it. The food was great, a truly remarkable meal, the host was very good, but the service went down hill from there. The waiter was disinterested in serving us, borderline rude! No one mentioned anything about our anniversary so there was no point in even mentioning it. Other restaurants make u feel special like Mortons, which Charlie Gittos completely lacked. But the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicerecall1kDined on 9/5/2014My Wife and I go here for her birthday every year, and several times each year just for a regular dinner. Each time we've gone, the service has been stellar and the food has been wonderful. I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a quiet romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner!queenieDined on 9/4/2014Our dinner was mouth-watering DELICIOUS! Our minor complaint was that it arrived too fast, less time to savor our salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed a great mealRobertJDined on 8/31/2014We were in St Louis for a short getaway, and had dinner at Charlie's one night. It tends to be a bit dark inside and hasn't been updated in a while, but the food was excellent. The pasta is made there, as is the trimisu. The clams and linguini were fantastic. The veal marasla very rich, but good. A wine list covers most price ranges, though the better wines may be a bit over priced. We had a bottle we enjoyed. Even the beer choices were good. We'll be back again one day before long we hope. Jason was a great waiter. We enjoyed talking with him. Just be sure to get there early for your reservation. There are always people waiting to take yours, if you don't show up in time.
- Very nice dinnerOtnickDined on 8/31/2014Food, wine, and service were excellent. But our table was too small for people with legs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PizzaboyDined on 8/30/2014Excellent Italian food from the Hill. The staff is fantastic and very accommodating to our requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the hype all about?FitFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Looked for a special place to take my boyfriend while visiting St. Louis. Wanted a great place on the hill. After reviewing many places online I chose Charlie Gitto's. The restaurant ranked very high on many lists. Unfortunately I was highly disappointed. First, my I made reservations for 7:30pm and had to wait 34 minutes to be seated. Not good. Second, the toasted ravioli didn't taste anything like toasted ravioli. They brag how good it is. I had much better from another restaurant the night before. To even things out the entre was quite flavorful along with the wine. Can't say I will be visiting this restaurant any time soon.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Of our 4 meals 2 were not good. A pasta dish (tortellini) was too salty to eat and a veal chop was dry and had little or no marsala sauce with it. Restaurant was extremely crowded and perhaps their capacity was exceeded. Should have gone somewhere else.
- TGIF on the Hill!CamGDined on 8/29/2014Casual, welcoming, homey atmosphere... Our waiter accommodated our tweaks to the menu with ease and a sense of humor! The eggplant Parmesan was light yet satisfying. The seasonal caprese salad was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.lofti008Dined on 8/29/2014The food and service were outstanding. The decor seemed outdated however. We will absolutely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DianaBCVIPDined on 8/27/2014Since moving to St. Louis three years ago, I've dined at Charlie Gitto's several times a year and have taken friends. Everything I've had is outstanding and everyone I've taken also was impressed with the variety and quality of the food. I've eaten at half a dozen other restaurants and The Hill and this is my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! What a treat!Emptynester1Dined on 8/26/2014Great dining experience. A little pricy but really good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.