Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill'
5226 Shaw Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill'
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charliegittos.com/
- Phone: (314) 772-8898
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian
- Executive Chef: Charlie Gitto Jr.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full catering service. Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill' can accommodate private dining for up to 100 guests.
- Special Events: Private banquet space available to accomodate 10- 100 people. Please call for details
A word from Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill'
Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill' has been a St. Louis dining tradition for over 25 years. The restaurant boasts a menu of Italian favorites including pasta, veal & chicken entrees plus delicious steaks & seafood specialties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill' - Best Restaurants in The Hill ›
Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill' reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (137)neighborhood gem (126)romantic (100)fit for foodies (81)notable wine list (60)good for groups (55)great for outdoor dining (48)hot spot (24)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (8)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Always the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/19/2014Our long-time favorite restaurant "on the hill," Charlie Gitto's never fails in food, service and experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World TravelerWorldTravelerDined on 11/15/2014To quote the Lego Movie: "Everything is awesome!" The greeting at the door to the server to the food was all spectacular. Had the Filet and wife had seabass - both incredible. Tomas was our server and he is hilarious and very attentive. Would recommend for a special night out - anniversary or birthday or just a romantic getaway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tradition on the HillJoeRomaDined on 11/10/2014Born in St. Louis, I have known about this establishment for many years, but have always been drawn to other restaurants on the Hill, so this was my first visit to Charlie Gitto's. This place keeps many of the old traditions of the Hill alive: comfortable seating, good food, and informal ambiance. I will return.Special Features:
- excellenceJennysdayDined on 11/9/2014Food was incredible and service top notch. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one4illiniDined on 11/8/2014The food was delicious! They asked if it was a special occasion and we told them it was our son's birthday, but they did not recognize it at the table. The waiter was very enthusiastic, but paid more attention to the large group beside us. The bus boy(man) was great!!Special Features:
- SamanthaDined on 11/8/2014Excellent food and service as always. Great wine list.Special Features:
- Very Nice Italian on the HillinGwtDined on 11/7/2014Trip to St Louis and a good friend said I had to make it to "The Hill" for dinner at least one night. The seasonal beet salad was excellent as a special. Presentation and service was very good, our waiter Nick was knowledgeable, attentive and anticipated drink refills. The veal nunzio was outstanding! Desert was tiramisu and pistachio gelato and I think the gelato was made in house... both were very good. I have had good italian food across the world and when I am back in St Louis, Charlie's will be the first on my mind. Easy Parking too!Special Features:
- OutstandingJackViperDined on 11/6/2014Took the 2 daughters and the wife to Charlie's. One daughter and I had the Swordfish, the wife had the pork, the other daughter had steak. The food could not have been any better! The pork dish was the best pork any of us has ever tasted. The service is simply the best there is.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014Very accommodating.....we were seated first at a table, requested a booth and were re-seated at a booth. Food was delicious!Special Features:
- Classic on the HillKoLoDined on 11/2/2014The food, service, and atmosphere were all perfect. We could not have had a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out.RenaissanceManDined on 11/1/2014The Filet Nunzio my wife ordered (I tasted it to be sure) and the Veal Marsala that I had were both delicious. Good selection of wines by the glass or bottle. The service could not have been better, including the anniversary cake they provided. It is our favorite restaurant for special occasions, but it does not have to be a special occasion to eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time experienceNikkolisDined on 10/31/2014I really enjoyed my experience from the time we entered the door the way we were greeted and wait service was very good and to top it off the food was delicious the pricing of the food was very comfortable to the great food that we received. The lasagna was the next best tasting that I have had since eating lasagna in Italy. How they recommend a good night out for a couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014super food and all excellent. could have felt a tad bit rushed but nonetheless all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TexChefDined on 10/27/2014Really outstanding service and food. Chicken limonata sublime. Lobster bisque outstanding. The servers suggestions were all quite good. Local craft brew among best I've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best on The HillStLouisDinerVIPDined on 10/27/2014Have visited Gitto's a number of times. This visit I was entertaining a colleague from out of town. We sat in the outdoor dinning area. It was late October and we felt lucky to be able to still dine al fresco this time of year. Service was very attentive, waiter was very helpful and courteous. Food was very good and portions were adequate. Always a good choice when on the hill, will be back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014Good service, server was personable, excellent choices in menu items and specialty dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Food was amazing, and we are foodies! Toasted ravioli only disappointment. Service was a bit slow, but friendly and knowledgeable. It was Friday night and very busy, so not unexpected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Restaurant in St. LouisJonBDined on 10/23/2014I was a server and bartender through my twenties, so I can say with great confidence that Charlie Gitto's on the Hill is a fantastic place to enjoy a meal. The service is impeccable from the moment you step through the door. Amazing food, servers who know the menu inside and out, vast wine selection and every dish we've had has been spectacular. My girlfriend is quite the foodie, Yelper, etc. I'm a steak-and-potatoes Irish guy. Charlie Gitto's is our favorite restaurant, and it's the first place she recommends to out-of-town parents in her professional life. She has yet to hear a complaint. Thanks to the staff for being a wonderful institution when life merits celebrating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014There was a group of six dining. We were offered a round table, which was perfect for conversation. Food and service were excellent. Waiter Tomas was personable and able to answer any questions on the specials.Special Features:
- John KnechtStudentDined on 10/19/2014The food was best ever, service should be rated as a 6 star, and price value was fair. It was our anniversary and they treated us to a free dessert, Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningGroupdinnerDined on 10/18/2014I recently had a great evening with a group of friends and family at Charlie Gittos on the Hill. The ambiance was nice, the service was great and the food outstanding.Special Features:
- Great food, as usualChuckDined on 10/17/2014Dined at Charlie Gitto'd while on a recent trip back to St. Louis. The pasta was great as usual, but the peppercorn steak was awesome. Service is some of the best we have ever had and they accommodated my daughter's gluten free diet very well.Special Features:
- Back on the HillDoughtyVIPDined on 10/15/2014having lived in St Louis area years ago it is always a pleasure to return for Italian on the Hill, custard at Ted Drews and Cardinal baseball..we were not disappointed. Service and food quality was as I remembered it at Charley Gitto's, outstanding. Veal dishes and toasted ravioli knocked it out of park...and a wine suggestion, reasonably priced, was fantastic....everyone I take there that has not been , raves about the place....nice job...Special Features:
- Disappointing Service; Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014It was our anniversary. We were seated 30 minutes late for our reservation. The dining room was freezing cold and when the hostess went to retrieve my wife's coat she forgot and I had to walk up o the front to get the number from her (which was still in her pocket) and (at no fault of the waiter) he was busy with numerous tables and there was significant lag time between course orders. Nice waiter but too spread out. The food was awesome and the quality you expect from this St. Louis institution. My second experience with below par service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion Family DinnerKeelinDined on 10/9/2014We enjoyed having a pleasant dinner to celebrate a birthday. The meal was delicious. Our table location was a bit crowded and the area was very noisy. Service was not up to par as compared to the several other occasions when we have eaten there. After dinner, we were never offered coffee or desert. Finally we had a gentleman filling the water glasses find our waiter so we could proceed with ordering dessert. There was a large private party that seemed to impact our service.Special Features:
- Charlie G's when you in St. LouisdiningdivaDined on 10/9/2014We have been several times when we are in the St. Louis Area. Food is great, wine list fantastic, wait staff caring with great recommendations and atmosphere superb. Food is the best on the Hill. We've tried others but this is the bestSpecial Features:
- Perfect for client meetingBabadooDined on 10/6/2014We had studio executives in from Hollywood and the back room was perfect. It was quiet yet still had the feel of the restaraunt. The food was excellent. Our LA guests were impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Naples4Dined on 10/4/2014Enjoyed a lovely dinner with our daughter while visiting her at Wash Univ. Great service, wonderful food and wine. We will definitely return for another meal.Special Features:
- best of everything!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014A perfect dining experience and great place to celebrate a birthday. Food, service, and atmosphere were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early for a flight out of St LouisHoustonbbound2Dined on 10/3/2014We were trying to decide how to kill time waiting for our flight, so we chose Charlie Gitto's ! Outstanding everything , food and service . Tomas and Jeffrey were excellent, with Tomas extremely professional. Don't hesitate on CG's !Special Features:
- Delicious Authentic ItalianshantiDined on 10/3/2014This was our first time visiting St. Louis, my family and I all had delicious meals here, from the fresh beet & fennel salad to baked spaghetti & Meatballs & Eggplant Parmesan. The wine was yummy & our service was very attentive and friendly. They even had a taxi waiting for us when we were finished with dinner so we could head to the Scott Trade center for a concert after. I would definitely recommend and we can't wait to go back the next time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!Penny4yourthoughtsDined on 10/2/2014What a wonderful restaurant. We ate at their location on The Hill on a Thursday night while visiting St. Louis and it was perfect. The food and service were both outstanding. I would go there again in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as much fun as our first visitFormerchefDined on 10/1/2014We were a little disappointed in the restaurant after a very favorable impression the first time. Everything was OK. It was not as much fun or tasty as the first time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mizzou4us4Dined on 9/28/2014Birthday celebration with another couple. Food was excellent. Really like the Sunday evening availability. We'll visit again, may try the patio the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous steaks; "Mad Men" ambienceMelkatDined on 9/28/2014We are new to the city, and took a "foodie" business guest from San Francisco here. Lobster bisque and beet salad starters were delicious. Two steak entrees were exquisite -- both meat and toppings -- and cooked truly rare as we requested. Pricey but probably "prime", and worth it. Veal saltimbocca was less satisfying -- the main taste to me was salt, but would probably have been MUCH more enjoyable with a glass of carefully-chosen wine. (Alas, I was trying to stick strictly to my Atkins diet -- my loss!) Service was very friendly, old-school professional, and attentive, almost anachronistic, as if we were dining out in a "Mad Men" episode. In all, a very pleasant outing on "The Hill" -- even for celiac- and Atkins-diet-restricted diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingRockDined on 9/28/2014We go to this restaurant periodically for special occasions, and they always exceed our expectations.Special Features:
- Our First VisitLovetheHillDined on 9/27/2014We loved the quiet, low lighting atmosphere inside, the music and the overall cleanliness. The food was excellent with generous portions. The waiters were very attentive and polite. Will definitely be going back again.Special Features:
- Excellent as always!DanandJayneDined on 9/24/2014We love coming to Charlie Gitto's on the Hill! It is our special place to go. Service is always excellent and the food is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not disappoint.HappyDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I ate here to celebrate our anniversary. Our experience couldn't of been better. Great service from Nick and top notch food. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014As always, our meal was wonderful and the service was just as great! We love dining at Charlie Gitto's.Special Features: