Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill'
5226 Shaw Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill'
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charliegittos.com/
- Phone: 3147728898x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian
- Executive Chef: Charlie Gitto Jr.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full catering service. Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill' can accommodate private dining for up to 100 guests.
- Special Events: Private banquet space available to accomodate 10- 100 people. Please call for details
A word from Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill'
Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill' has been a St. Louis dining tradition for over 25 years. The restaurant boasts a menu of Italian favorites including pasta, veal & chicken entrees plus delicious steaks & seafood specialties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill' - Best Restaurants in The Hill ›
Charlie Gitto's 'On the Hill' reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (154)romantic (125)neighborhood gem (124)fit for foodies (82)notable wine list (75)great for outdoor dining (70)good for groups (58)hot spot (16)great for lunch (11)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)Show More
- Does not disappoint.HappyDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I ate here to celebrate our anniversary. Our experience couldn't of been better. Great service from Nick and top notch food. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014As always, our meal was wonderful and the service was just as great! We love dining at Charlie Gitto's.Special Features:
- Good not greatJohnDined on 9/19/2014Host and server excellent. Our dishes ( veal saltimboca and chicken spedini) were blandly presented and nothing special on the palate. Would have expected more from this Hill classic. Maybe if you stick to the plainer pasta dishes it would be ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014I am always skeptical about Italian restaurants. They very so greatly in quality and overall flavor. This restaurant stands above the rest! Attention to detail, stellar service, and piping hot delicious food wins me over with a plan to return. Fantastic wine selection!Special Features:
- Charlie Gitto's on The Hill4lovefoodDined on 9/17/2014We hosted an out of town guest who is Italian. After reviewing several restaurants on The Hill he chose Charlie Gitto's and was pleasantly surprised by the courtesy he received by the host and hostess, the waiters and more importantly by the food. We all found the food to be exceptional and we all agreed Charlie Gitto's on The Hill is definitely a place to return to in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal. Wonderful eveningswfloridaladyDined on 9/16/2014We took our parents to Charlie Gitto's for dinner on a Tuesday night. It was so nice. The restaurant decor was lovely. Our waiter was awesome and the food was delicious. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple Great ItalianEnzoswiftDined on 9/15/2014Outstanding old school restaurant where anything ordered is executed with perfection.Special Features:
- My birthday dinnerMaggieDined on 9/10/2014We had our first "official" date at Charlie Gitto's 26 years ago, then went back again for our 10th wedding anniversary. This time we went there for my birthday celebration. It is still a very special place for us. Food, service, atmosphere, music was all quite nice! Loved the HOT coffee with my birthday cake at the end of our meal. Would definitely go again. Maggie and MikeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charlie Gitto'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014You must try Charlie Gitto's when on the Hill. Outstanding food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saint CharlesMaciDined on 9/6/2014First visit with friends from out of town. A top 3 mean experience since moving to the area 2 years ago. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been...happygoluckyDined on 9/5/2014We planned a special night for our anniversary and was very excited about going to this restaurant and had heard great things about it. The food was great, a truly remarkable meal, the host was very good, but the service went down hill from there. The waiter was disinterested in serving us, borderline rude! No one mentioned anything about our anniversary so there was no point in even mentioning it. Other restaurants make u feel special like Mortons, which Charlie Gittos completely lacked. But the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner!queenieDined on 9/4/2014Our dinner was mouth-watering DELICIOUS! Our minor complaint was that it arrived too fast, less time to savor our salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed a great mealRobertJDined on 8/31/2014We were in St Louis for a short getaway, and had dinner at Charlie's one night. It tends to be a bit dark inside and hasn't been updated in a while, but the food was excellent. The pasta is made there, as is the trimisu. The clams and linguini were fantastic. The veal marasla very rich, but good. A wine list covers most price ranges, though the better wines may be a bit over priced. We had a bottle we enjoyed. Even the beer choices were good. We'll be back again one day before long we hope. Jason was a great waiter. We enjoyed talking with him. Just be sure to get there early for your reservation. There are always people waiting to take yours, if you don't show up in time.
- Very nice dinnerOtnickDined on 8/31/2014Food, wine, and service were excellent. But our table was too small for people with legs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PizzaboyDined on 8/30/2014Excellent Italian food from the Hill. The staff is fantastic and very accommodating to our requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the hype all about?FitFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Looked for a special place to take my boyfriend while visiting St. Louis. Wanted a great place on the hill. After reviewing many places online I chose Charlie Gitto's. The restaurant ranked very high on many lists. Unfortunately I was highly disappointed. First, my I made reservations for 7:30pm and had to wait 34 minutes to be seated. Not good. Second, the toasted ravioli didn't taste anything like toasted ravioli. They brag how good it is. I had much better from another restaurant the night before. To even things out the entre was quite flavorful along with the wine. Can't say I will be visiting this restaurant any time soon.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Of our 4 meals 2 were not good. A pasta dish (tortellini) was too salty to eat and a veal chop was dry and had little or no marsala sauce with it. Restaurant was extremely crowded and perhaps their capacity was exceeded. Should have gone somewhere else.
- TGIF on the Hill!CamGDined on 8/29/2014Casual, welcoming, homey atmosphere... Our waiter accommodated our tweaks to the menu with ease and a sense of humor! The eggplant Parmesan was light yet satisfying. The seasonal caprese salad was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.lofti008Dined on 8/29/2014The food and service were outstanding. The decor seemed outdated however. We will absolutely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DianaBCVIPDined on 8/27/2014Since moving to St. Louis three years ago, I've dined at Charlie Gitto's several times a year and have taken friends. Everything I've had is outstanding and everyone I've taken also was impressed with the variety and quality of the food. I've eaten at half a dozen other restaurants and The Hill and this is my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! What a treat!Emptynester1Dined on 8/26/2014Great dining experience. A little pricy but really good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Hill RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014My husband and good friends of ours went to dinner here on Sunday evening. Charlie Gito's was one of the few restaurants open on a Sunday on The Hill, and since we had never been there, we were happy that they were one of the choices. We are so glad that we had the opportunity to discover this charming, friendly and wonderful establishment! I had the chicken rigatoni and chopped salad. Fabulous!!! My husband had the seafood risotto, and our friends had the spaghetti and meatballs. Every dish was incredibly delicious. For dessert we had cannoli and chocolate cake, which we shared. It was so refreshing to dine in a restaurant where attention to detail is paramount, the food and wine is wonderful, service impeccable, and the atmosphere ideal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highlight of our weekendHungryPeopleDined on 8/23/2014As we were planning a weekend trip to St. Louis (from Kansas City), family recommended we eat at Charlie Gitto's "On the Hill." We were so glad we did! It truly was the highlight of our weekend. From the minute we walked in, we felt welcome. Our waiter was personable, knowledgeable, energetic and happy to make recommendations on food and wine. We did have to remind him about my second glass of wine but it wasn't a big deal and he did apologize. I had the special, which was swordfish spiedini, with a caprese salad and loved both of them. My husband ordered off-menu but got exactly what he wanted and thoroughly enjoyed it. The wine recommendations were perfect. Wonderful experience!Special Features:
- A must try!MeredithnDined on 8/23/2014As a college student from Chicago, I make it a point to go to Charlie Gitto's whenever my parents are in town! Delicious food (the baked spaghetti and meatballs is to die for!!) and an excellent staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatMikeVDined on 8/22/2014Read some of the other "great" reviews before choosing Grittos. Location wasn't great (not being from the Saint Louis area I wasn't familiar with the neighborhood) atmosphere was great and the place was flu but food was just OK
- Love Charlie Gitto's!SalesDudeDined on 8/19/2014Outstanding food! Impeccable, friendly service! Great atmosphere! A St. Louis treasure!Special Features:
- Good timeCMMMDined on 8/17/2014I was entertaining out of town guests and this fit the bill perfectly. It was a marvelous experience.Special Features:
- Great food!outoftownersDined on 8/16/2014We went there with friends from out of town. Had a GREAT dinner! Everyone loved it. Couldn't get in until late and room was crowded and noisy, but delicious, so must sacrifice atmosphere for taste.Special Features:
- Gem on The HillFoodloverDined on 8/16/2014Charlie Gittos On The Hill is a must dining spot. Food is excellent and the service is outstanding. Don't miss their Tomato Salad during season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Place!DKPATDined on 8/16/2014Went to Gitto's on the Hill on 8/16 with a group of friends. For several years Charlie Gitto's has been my "go to" spot for all special occasisons. This night was a birthday. As always, the entire experience was Wonderful. From the minute we walked in until we left, we all felt pampered. The food was perfect (as it always is) and the service, OUTSTANDING! I'm so glad you all know how to make an evening perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastebud Happy Dance!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014A complete dining experience great food and service. My tastebuds do a happy dance every time i eat at Charlie Gitto's!Special Features:
- Our newest favoriteCallmeluluDined on 8/16/2014We have been enjoying the greatest Italian foods on the Hill for years. Recently went back to Charlie Gitto's and it's now our "go-to" for Italian food in St. Louis. Not only is the dining room perfectly "dressed" for a delicious dinner, the food made in house and tasting as fresh as possible, the staff make your evening perfect. Not too stuffy, not too relaxed…they seem to be able to sense your mood and serve you accordingly. You won't regret making Charlie Gitto's your next stop for top notch dining on the Hill in St. Louis!Special Features:
- Fabulous Food & ServicedoesnotliketoshareDined on 8/16/2014Everything was absolutely wonderful! Dinner, dessert, and drinks - all perfect! Service was exceptional! Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savory specialtiesJCDanVIPDined on 8/15/2014We were a group of five, 3 of whom ordered the swordfish special. Two ordered chicken prepared in various Italian sauces. The reviews were raves. Even a member from Michigan said that she would stop here again if she happened to come back to St. Louis. It is reasonably priced, but expertly prepared food. Foodies would enjoy this jem. The sides of pasta with alfredo sauce, spinach and cherry tomatoes were bursting with flavor. Gluten free choices are available for many dishes. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- First-Rate ServiceMMW50Dined on 8/15/2014Our server was a real pro! He met all of our needs in a courteous, pleasant manner. The food was great; we will be back!Special Features:
- HeavenlyMIssChatterbox3VIPDined on 8/14/2014A wonderful evening, the minute you enter the door you leave your cares behind and you are taken care of by the capable staff at Gitto's. The ambiance, the wait staff, the food, the drink, everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table For TwoEvryDayShouldFeelThisGoodDined on 8/13/2014I stumbled upon the name several times when searching for a suitable restaurant for my girlfriend and I at The Hill. I don't live a high class life, but we enjoy a finer side of dress code so it was an obvious pick for us. She was beautiful and the patio only complimented the night even more with the strung lights above. No doubt in my mind that I will take her back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationBobbieDined on 8/12/2014Someone greeted us as soon as we entered the restaurant. We dined in the outdoor area. The food and service were very good. The dish I had was prepared very well and the meat was flavorful and tender. It was my husband's birthday but the restaurant did not offer any kind of birthday dessert to celebrate. That would have been a nice touch.Special Features:
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Great authentic Italian food. Excellent service by entire staff. Good value for all that we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excited then disappointedOutstandingDined on 8/8/2014This place was highly recommended so we were excited to go. Salad was great but the veal Marsala was tough and way to sweet. Service was average but nothing to rave about. Will not return to this place.