Charley's Steak House - Tampa
4444 W Cypress St
Tampa, FL 33607Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Charley's Steak House - Tampa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charleyssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 8133539706x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Scott Trepanier
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Charley's Steak House - Tampa
Charley's Steak House is owned by the Woodsby family and has operated in Florida since 1974. Charley’s serves only three-year-old USDA prime and choice Angus steers, aging them four to six weeks for tenderness & flavor and hand-cutting the steaks daily to ensure consistent quality. The steaks are then flame-broiled over Florida citrus and oak wood in a custom-built pit at 1200º searing in the tantalizing taste that has made Charley’s the #1 steakhouse in America every year since 2007! Charley’s philosophy of providing only the finest extends from the kitchen to the wine cellar. The wine list approaches 1000 selections from scores of exceptional wineries around the globe. Charley’s has been recognized with numerous awards including “Best of Award of Excellence” from Wine Spectator magazine, DiRōNA and Orlando Magazine’s“ Best Steak House & Best Old Favorite”. Charley’s has been creating fans from around the world for nearly 40 years. We look forward to having you become a fan soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Charley's Steak House - Tampa - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
Charley's Steak House - Tampa reviews from OpenTable diners
283 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (210)notable wine list (128)romantic (111)fit for foodies (84)good for groups (69)vibrant bar scene (37)hot spot (36)neighborhood gem (35)late-night find (15)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014This is only the 2nd time I've dined here. The 1st was this past June for my birthday. I had the best Filet Mignon I had ever had. This time I took my girlfriend there for her birthday. She ordered a Bleu Cheese Stuffed Filet Mignon (medium). I ordered the Filet Mignon(medium) and Lobster Tail. Her steak arrived at the table with no bleu cheese and my steak arrived well-done (very little pink, no red). I was disappointed that the best part of my meal was the potatoes and bread.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite spotsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Great staff, service and food and wine...great place I would highly recommend it in Tampa Must visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening - Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We found this great steak house a few years ago when our go-to steak place (Berns) was booked up. A truly great find. Great steaks, superb service and friendly staff. A really fun place. If you like shrimp cocktail you'll find none better. GIGANTIC shrimp - fantastic presentation and only $13.50.Special Features:
- Love CharleysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Always great food and good service; steaks always cooked to perfection and melt in your mouth!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I'm sorry, but the Food was not as good as it used to. :( best thing was friendly server and nice tasty drinks.
- Worth The Moneyzgoldberg5Dined on 10/16/2014The Charley's staff knows how to make dining a great time. When we first got there, our waiter was very nice and promptly took drink orders. Ordering did take a bit longer then I would have liked, but not a crazy amount of time. The waiter also explained all cuts of meat and went over the menu with us, which was very helpful. We both got 12 oz. Filets, and they were amazing. Great flavor! I would recommend this cut @ medium well. Dessert was also tasty. Between drink, salads, entres, dessert, and a tip, the total came to about $200.00 for two. While this is expensive, trust me, you won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor excuse for a steak houseappreciatesgoodfoodDined on 10/15/2014Every aspect of the experience was horrible. Valet parking was a joke. The hostess attempted to seat us in an empty room two rooms away from any other diners. Our appetizers -lobster bisque came out ice cold. Was reheated in a microwave, having breaded lobster, broth that was pathetic. To their credit, bread rolls were good. Entrees were average - filet mignon was average. Side dish - Lobster mac and cheese was not flavorful. Was surprised that restaurant manager didn't stop by and check on us - but not unexpected because of the overall poor overpriced atmosphere. I would liken the experience to a bad dinning experience at a low end steak house. Do yourself a favor, avoid this place!
- Always wanted to go here.DaverDined on 10/14/2014We were always wanting to go here. Usually we do Flemmings. This night on an unexpected flight cancellation and the subsequent overnight stay and the need to eat we decided this was the night. The entire resturant machine was spectacular. The general flow inside the building and ambiance was 5 stars. Our food was close to being perfect except for my steak. It was the small filet. It was acceptable and not returnable but I was expecting a better steak experience. It was cooked to perfection but not a melt in my mouth meal. However, my wife's meal was! The wine list was too! In fact we purchased two $100.00 certificates to get the free steak knives which we were going to buy but discovered the gift certificate deal and was pleased to use it!Special Features:
- Ponderosa steak at 100 x the pricecoro650Dined on 10/14/2014Charley's Tampa is extremely overpriced for a marginal steak experience. We ordered 8 oz. filets which were overcooked and tasteless. The booth that we were seated at was dark. We had to use flashlights to see the menu. We asked for a bit more light so that we could see our food but nothing was done to provide the necessary lighting. This is the third and last time I have/will dine(d) at Charley's. I teach a quarterly executive seminar in Tampa. I use to recommend Charley's as a quality dining experience to the Executive attendees. I was embarrassed by the consistently poor reviews, consistent with mine, that were shared by that group the morning after their dining experience.
- Great ExperiencechrissydDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I went to Charley's for our 1 year wedding anniversary. We had an excellent experience. The steaks were delicious, the service was great, and their cheesecake was to die for! It is on the pricey side, but not too much more than what you would spend at a chain steakhouse. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitDurexDined on 10/11/2014I've been wanting to go to Charley's for several years; being well aware of their reputation as a steakhouse. I was waiting for a special occasion due to the high priced bill I was expecting to get but was pleasantly surprised when I noticed they have reasonably priced options for a premium steakhouse. Of course they have the high end choices as well but you can have a dinner for two out the door for around $86 which is tremendous and worthy of visits on much more than just special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST steak house ever.MissHappy1Dined on 10/11/2014Everything was WONDERFUL. It was what I expected plus more. I loved the private dinning room (wine room) they put me and my party in. The food was amazing, our waitress Susan was absolutely fantastic. I recommend Charley's Steak house for ALL occasions. I will be visiting again and very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Charley'sFoodLuvrVIPDined on 10/11/2014Charley's is always delicious, I've never had a bad experience there! Took family for the first time, they really enjoyed it as well. This is probably my favorite steakhouse in Tampa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JakeDined on 10/11/2014We have been here many times before and really enjoyed it. This used to be my wife's favorite restaurant. It fell short on many levels this trip. The wine we previously enjoyed was not on their list any longer. The cocktail I ordered they happened to be out of. Water was never brought until my wife asked. The waitress expressed two persons would be taking care of our table, I never saw a second person. They forgot part of my wife's dinner and finally, their bread is no longer hard crusted sour dough but rather a soft dinner roll. Seems like they might have been a little short on staff and they were trying to cut expenses. The food was average at best. Not their best night. We'll try it again in a few months.Special Features:
- Good reason for not to go backIvanaxDined on 10/11/2014Considering the great experience we had at Charley's Steak House, we decided to take family for a dinner there. But, unfortunately it isn't worth it. First, they have quite an extensive wine-list, but not many of the wines are available by the glass. We ordered salads : caesar - Ok, but wedge without blue cheese - you have to pay as a side, the ribeye was OK and sides were awful: black pepper parmesan fries - a little too soggy and greasy, instead of crispy and dry. The jumbo fresh asparagus - overcooked, small, and didn't seem fresh. For dessert we enjoyed a "crunchy pecan pumpkin bread pudding with toasted marshmallows and cinnamon ice cream" - this may sound pompous, but it isn't delicious. The best steakhouse ? I wouldn't bet on it!
- Amazing!JohnnyboyDined on 10/10/2014Great food, great service, great pricing. A little loud at first but everything else was AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Filet MignonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014I was disappointed in the quality of my steak. I only order filet mignon when I dine at a steakhouse. The very center was tender but the outter inch around the steak was not so tender. The steak was cooked perfectly, medium rare. I have had much better cuts at other locations in the Tampa area.Special Features:
- Good but unremarkableCreekmanDined on 10/10/2014We had a good overall experience but with Bern's a mile or so away don't think it is distinctive enough. Good wine list and good flavor on steaks. The place is smokey from the open kitchen which you realize after you leave. Give it a try but for my taste, Bern's is in a whole other class.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The food was fantastic. Steaks cooked perfectly. We got the creamed spinach and au grautin potato sides. Fantastic! Salted caramel cheesecake? Was. Amazing. Wouldn't necessarily recommend Oscar-style, crab was somewhat dry, too many peppers, only two asapragus sprigs and almost no hollandaise sauce. Overall, sevice was decent, atmosphere good. Food worth the price.Special Features:
- A great special occasion placexraymanDined on 10/8/2014Service was Exceptional-Kasey made the evening special, Food, though expensive was outstanding though a little too salty for my taste-A great special occasion place-Unbelievable Steaks,great Baked potato and Salad.Special Features:
- Give the pork chops a try!TampaJoeDined on 10/6/2014My wife discovered a hidden gem on the menu several visits ago: Charley's Pork Chops. You can get either one or two HUGE pork chops (almost a pound a piece) cooked perfectly. We get two chops because its only a few dollars more. My wife eats half of one and I eat about 3/4 of one and we take the rest home for another meal (or two!). Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/4/2014The food was amazing as always!!!! Sherrie is GREAT....one of the best servers ever!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible experienceHorribleDined on 10/3/2014The waiter was non existent, the food was cold and tasteless and we were sat in an area with two large loud parties. When I made reservation I specifically mentioned it was for a special occasion. We will never go back. Waste of time and more importantly MONEY!! Certainly not a Berns or Flemings!! Very upset it ruined our special night!
- Delightful dining experiencenightoutDined on 10/3/2014This was our first visit to Charley's. We were celebrating my husbands birthday.....the big 70. Our waitress Shelly was very pleasant and presented the steaks to us to preview. We first had lobster bisque and it was delicious. Would highly recommend it. The steaks were outstanding and with the wonderful wine and dessert it was a fantastic evening. Will definitely return for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on Oct 3OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/3/2014Well this was not the best experience this time. We go to Tampa about 4 times a year and always dine at Charleys. We always make reservations and sit in the bar/lounge area since there is only 2 of us. Tonight the restaurant was especially dark and loud. The server was awesome and our salad and bread were awesome as well. However, our steak was not near as good as we usually have - we ordered the Bison and the Kansas Steak. Which as you know is slight costly but we usually enjoy it. Tonight it had not such a good flavor. Our server did apologize for the loudness of parties around us but nothing you can really do about intoxicated patrons enjoying there Friday night as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CostBringmoneyDined on 10/2/2014Way too expensive for me. But thanx for a continued great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great nighttarheelsDined on 10/1/2014We took some old dear friends on this night. The food was great and the service was perfect. I always get the delicious Australian cold water lobster tail and once again it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for specially reserved meatVeganFoodieDined on 9/30/2014The service is great. I got some aged ribeye that it was amazing I don't like fat on my steak but this has such an amazing flavor. Expensive at $85 but was worth every bite..Special Features:
- Justthe2ofusDined on 9/27/2014The service was outstanding. Our meals were delicious.Special Features:
- Great steak house!KritchieDined on 9/27/2014Being picky steak waters, my husband and I are always skeptics of any new place- Charley's was certainly up to par! Side dishes are a bit much but overall great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Steak, Bad LobsterGandKDineOutDined on 9/27/2014This was our 2nd trip to Charley's & it was our anniversary. We ordered surf & turf both times, however this time we mentioned to the waiter that we didn't want our lobster charred/dried on the edges, that was how it was the last time we were there. The waiter said he would talk to the chef about that. The Lobster tail we received did not look like the one we had last time so we thought it would be better than the last, however this too was dry & tough. A lobster tail should be tender & moist, this was neither. We did not mention it to the mgr who came to the table as we did not want to make a scene, but as far as I'm concerned, if you pay upwards of $120 for surf & turf, the lobster tail should be much better than it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingdinner45Dined on 9/26/2014Best steak ever. Wine list was great. Pricey but well worth every last penny...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dry cigarsMsunsatisfdDined on 9/26/2014I took my husband to Charley's to celebrate his birthday. The service and food was just "ok". Our server was young and appeared to be inexperienced. It took a while to receive our bread and salads. My steak tasted like charcoal and my husband had more fat on his steak than ever before. We have been there many times before and had a better experience. We ordered cigars to enjoy later after the meal. The cigars were dry even though they were presented to us in a humidor!! My total bill was $200, so everything should have been a much better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ultimate steak experiencePrimeSteakHeavenDined on 9/26/2014Want your prime, aged steak skillet-fried, oven-baked, or swimming in butter? Then don't come here. But if your priority is to savor the finest cut of beef (or fish) that proves its' merit through careful searing and grilling over wood that brings the ultimate steak flavor to the highest level, then Charley's is a must! My wife's sea bass was moist and flavorful in every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much FatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Steak was half fat had 22 oz kansas sirloin tasty but 11 oz of fat. Wife had filet no taste decent size. Salad was good. Noise level was so loud we could hardly talk to each other. Not a good romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Off the markOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Was not the experience that we are used to from Charlie's. One steak over done, one underdone, coffee was served cold, molten chocolate desert served cold as well , service was marginal. Well you get the idea. Was also very loud in the room that we where located in. We will be going to Burn's for our next steak outing.Special Features:
- Birthday PartySandyDined on 9/20/2014Great service and the server was wonderful. Lobster Great and those in the party that had other entrees raved about them also.Special Features:
- Butter on steakCharleysDined on 9/20/2014I ordered the T-bone. I was surprised it came with a large pat of butter melting on the the steak. Was it necessary to add cholesterol on top of cholesterol? The sides were wonderful. We had the fried green tomatoes, smashed potatoes and sauted onions and mushrooms. I thought the onions and mushrooms were a bit heavy on the fats also. A steak house obviously is not a place for heart patients but to add more fats on top of the fat is a bit much. It could have been made a bit lighter. Next visit I will request that ahead of time. The server was very attentive except when it came to coffee refills. Why don't restaurants offer coffee refills like they used to?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!ThefoodguyVIPDined on 9/19/2014Went here for my friends birthday! It was awesome! Food was amazing and service was the best (ask for Suzi) definitely will be coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014Nice place for an excellent steak. Waiter very attentive. Only drawback was the booth we were seated in. Bench seat low to the ground and felt cramped. Took away from the otherwise outstanding ambience. Would recommend sitting at a table instead.Special Features: