Charley's Steak House - Tampa
4444 W Cypress St
Tampa, FL 33607Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Charley's Steak House - Tampa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charleyssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 8133539706
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Scott Trepanier
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Charley's Steak House - Tampa
Charley's Steak House is owned by the Woodsby family and has operated in Florida since 1974. Charley’s serves only three-year-old USDA prime and choice Angus steers, aging them four to six weeks for tenderness & flavor and hand-cutting the steaks daily to ensure consistent quality. The steaks are then flame-broiled over Florida citrus and oak wood in a custom-built pit at 1200º searing in the tantalizing taste that has made Charley’s the #1 steakhouse in America every year since 2007! Charley’s philosophy of providing only the finest extends from the kitchen to the wine cellar. The wine list approaches 1000 selections from scores of exceptional wineries around the globe. Charley’s has been recognized with numerous awards including “Best of Award of Excellence” from Wine Spectator magazine, DiRōNA and Orlando Magazine’s“ Best Steak House & Best Old Favorite”. Charley’s has been creating fans from around the world for nearly 40 years. We look forward to having you become a fan soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Charley's Steak House - Tampa - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
Charley's Steak House - Tampa reviews from OpenTable diners
273 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (208)notable wine list (128)romantic (118)good for groups (77)fit for foodies (76)neighborhood gem (42)vibrant bar scene (38)hot spot (27)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (8)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (3)Show More
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The price of the food was understandable, but if I pay for a five star meal then that's what I should receive. The food was bland, the salad was brown. I was disappointed. But, the waiter was delightful.Special Features:
- we love charley'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014We make a special trip to Tampa just eat at Charley's. We usually go for the awesome Australian lobster tail although we did steak too this trip. We were celebrating 51 years of marriage. Looking forward to the next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Have dined a number of times and always very pleased. Would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:
- A South Tampa GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014My wife and I have dined at Charley's on a number of occasions. We found this occasion much like the others. the food and service was excellent. I believe the value for the dollar is greater at Charley's than at other similar steakhouse's. The Flavor of the beef (wood grilled) is memorable. The service has an old school air about it, efficient precise and elegant. We left Happy and overly satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding wine, meal, and dessertHonHakDined on 8/29/2014The environment is awesome, very rustic in many ways with the lighting, decor, and dinning areas. The wine list is large - so we enjoyed the help of our server to recommend based on our description. It was a great choice - Chilean wine! We both had steak - which you can't go wrong. Cooked absolutely perfect temperature, and the cut of meats were the best you could expect. The dessert was a great surprise, chocolate/chocolate/chocolate with grand marnier! Overall - would go anytime, any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Beat I have ever had, service excellent would highly recommend for special occasions or just a great night out with someone special. On this night it was a business meeting and yes I closed the deal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food just be specificAlwayshungryDined on 8/27/2014Had dinner a Charley's a few nights ago asked for a medium steak which on the menu say hot pink center, what I received was barley cooked steak with a bright red center. Lobster Mac and Alaskan crab legs were great, don't get the mushroom and onions "not a lot of flavor barley caramelized"Special Features:
- The Ultimate SteakNYsteakloverDined on 8/27/2014This is an above the norm steakhouse. Unfortunately Rib eye steaks are not listed on the menu but they carry both black angus and Kobe steaks. The oversize steaks are reasonably priced and unbelievably delicious. Next time I'm in the Tampa area this is a must go place.Special Features:
- Charley's, a cut aboveNilesDined on 8/26/2014The food, as always, was outstanding and our waitress just made the entire evening even more enjoyable. Great service, great smile, sense of humor, very personable - the type that you would ask for again. Needless to say, I be returning sooner than later.Special Features:
- Worth the Experience!!tampatoriDined on 8/24/2014The steaks are enormous and some may appreciate the smokey flavor. I found it to be a bit to harsh for my taste buds but that's MY opinion. The service was good and a little scripted but our glasses where always full and we were very pleased. The Lobster Macaroni is to die for! The deserts are excellent! $400 later we left beyond full with leftovers to take home. I would suggest you definitely try it!! I also requested a medium steak and was definitely given a rare steak as was my husband. No I did not send it back but enjoyed it rare! LOL So just ask questions and be very very clear on how you want the center of your meat to look. Happy eats! Don't forget to tip the free valet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit better in the pastAgedFiletLoverDined on 8/23/20142nd visit in the last 2 weeks. The 1st visit the table did not have salt & pepper or sweetener on it, and both the martini glasses and water glasses had marks around the lip, .. not quite clean. The 2nd visit yesterday, filet delicious but I ordered it butterflied and it was not, did not get new knives when the steak arrived and the knives on the table upon sitting at it were looking like they should've been shined after coming out of the dishwasher. Overall Charley's is amazing but attention needs to be paid to the silverware, glassware, and the chandelier shades (1 in the bar behind the hostess stand has been crooked for a long time now!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so greatpbj1965Dined on 8/23/2014We had a birthday dinner there. promptly seated. Waiter took drink order from their specialty cocktail menu. Came back 15 minutes later and said they don't offer that drink anymore -- old menu. Anyway similar experience with appetizer -- sold out. Don't offer a Cesar salad!? Really? Dinner came and bison rib eye was good, but the bison filet was mediocre at best. The side dishes were very small. For my money, Ruth's Chris or Flemings is much better experience.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great time. Our server was Hector and he was great. He knew all about the food and wine. The steak was excellent.
- Every Time is the CharmHappyinTPADined on 8/23/2014My wife and I have been to Charley's on numerous occasions and it has never failed to deliver. The food is uniformly excellent, the service superb, and ambiance appreciated. You simply can't go wrong... unless you don't have reservations. On Friday and Saturday nights that is a big no-no.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014A letter in detail has been mailed. Not enough space was allowed to share my experience. Thank You
- Best Steaks in Tampa PERIOD!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014My brother and our two friends recently dined at Charley's Steakhouse. The service was great and the steaks were simply awesome. Their seafood was extremely good (Recommend the rock claws!) and the atmosphere was sublime. I would definitely go back again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Going to Charley's was a special occasion, my daughter's birthday. The drinks were prepared as perfect as humanly possible. The drinks were also large which is unusual in most restaurants. The service was very attentive and spaced perfectly. The food was outstanding especially the steaks. Overall it was a great evening and we will be back soon.Special Features:
- Best steak house in Tampa!BestSteakTampaDined on 8/17/2014Food was amazing! Great drinks and wine list. Bison ribeye, tartare, lobster Mac n chez are all must haves! Martinis are always a great start, they have some different and interesting ones on the drink menu. Wine list was pretty awesome as well, almost had the Screaming Eagle, yet left for future patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014My husband & I dine here on special occasions or if we are in need of delicious meal. Never been disappointed. Food & service is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chocolate cakeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The cake was ruined with the raspberry sauce. Just chocolate !! Dinner was delicious The open table app is great and I will use it again. WasSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Looked forward to visiting Charley's for a year now. finally got in.. Table Service was not attentive... understanding this is an upscale restaurant. The feeling was we were not ordering enough for attention. and the food was not cooked to order. Now .. we paid our bill and left an 18% tip.. we will not return.. :( Hope others have a more favorable review... Good Luck..
- Worst meal in some timeFoodie27Dined on 8/15/2014I have not been this disappointed in a meal in some time. For the amount of money we spent for a night out the highlight of our meal was the bottle of wine we purchased. My wife ordered a filet that was tough and the only taste it had was the taste of the wood it was cooked over which was entirely too strong. I ordered Sea Bass and I am not convinced the meal I received was Sea Bass. I frequently order this when I go out and this slab of fish did not resemble anything I have had before. It was over cooked and lacked flavor. There are several other restaurant options in the area near Charlie's that I would highly recommend over Charlie's. Very disappointed.
- Still Love CharleysrotatingmassDined on 8/14/2014I have been going to Charley's since 2002. The food is great. However, this latest time, they over cooked the steak. They caught it before they brought it out BUT it took them 30 minutes to get a new one cooked. The waitress (Susan) was great and the manager comped the drinks while we waited on the new steak. Once the steak came out it was great like always. I still love Charleys but someone dropped the ball this time.Special Features:
- JBfoodieDined on 8/12/2014Charley's continues to be a little hit and miss on the food. i have eaten there 3 times in the last 6 months and the steak has been less than tender 2 out of 3 times. Not a good batting average for a steak house that is supposed to be top of the line. Not a fan of their asparagus with the cheese; 86 the cheese. They had a cauliflower side that was very good that is not always on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience4lakelandDined on 8/12/2014My wife and I celebrating another wedding anniversary. Great food and service, can't go wrong here!Special Features:
- Date nightNich14Dined on 8/11/2014Took a female there for a date night. Everything was good, our server Shawn knew his knowledge about the steaks & was polite. I'd recommend going there but make sure you got some money. Prices are lil high but the food was worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JillDined on 8/10/2014Salad was wilted, overdressed, and not cold. Pork chops were amazing.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceTinaDined on 8/10/2014We were celebrating my husbands birthday and he loves Charley's. Both he and my son had the Bison steaks and loved them. I had the sea bass and it was delicious. We all had take home boxes as the portions are generous. Our Server was a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Excellent, service, food atmosphere. Everything about going to Charley's is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing!Vicdoc55Dined on 8/8/2014I have been going to Charley's for several years now, for both business and personal. This past visit was arguably my worst dining experience at a high end establishment. This was a business dinner and my client was in town from St. Louis and this is his favorite place. Starting with the lack of AC in the bar area to the unavailability of several appetizers and wines, to the worst $50 steak you can ever imagine, the whole night was a disappointment. Normally the steaks there are why you go, but I've had better steaks at Waffle house. And on top of the whole thing after all the disappointments and complaining, the staff seemed to be very unapologetic and aloof. It is going to be a very long time before I visit Charley's again, if ever.
- PerfectDeedeeDined on 8/8/2014It was my husband's birthday and we had 8 people in our party. With a large party, service can sometimes suffer but not at Charley's! We had outstanding service and a delicious meal. Thank you Charley's for making my hubby's night extra special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tired Safe Menu,Indifferent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014We were seated and given a glass of water and ordered 2 wines. A large party came in, and the 2 servers Erick and Susan fawned over them, basically ignored us. Appetizers came out, but crabcakes were cold. Another 20 minutes went by, and they brought out a 2nd one that was hot. After 1+ hours of waiting for even some bread and their "side salad", I finally flagged someone down to ask if it was coming. Side salad was a pitiful iceberg lettuce and chopped tomato thing, not even comparable to a Wendy's salad. At about the 90 minute mark, steaks finally arrived. Wife's"Filet Mignon" had 2 tough veins of fat running through them, but we didn't want to seem like complainers. $170 spent. Tired, careless, boring, inattentive- we wont be back.Special Features:
- Great food/service, but too darkAmazingbutdarkDined on 8/8/2014First time at Charley's for my birthday with family. The food was amazing and the service was top-notch. Expensive, but quality food was worth the price. Unfortunately, we could not read the menus without our phone flashlights, which seemed normal procedure to the waiter. I understand it accentuates the ambiance but when you can barely see your food in front of you, it's a bit much. Good thing the food makes up it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak ReviewSteakloverDined on 8/8/2014The entry waiting area is nice. Both filet mignons were too salty. They were cooked appropriately. The upselling of add ons is tiresome. I realize you are trying to increase your profits but it goes overboard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeTripDined on 8/7/2014This is typically a go to spot for special occasions or business dinners. On this visit the service was slow and all four of our steaks were cold. The staff was very apologetic and did take all of them off the bill. Every other time we have dined there everything has been fantastic. We will go back, hoping this was just a fluke.
- Outback is BetterArtiesReviewDined on 8/6/2014The Waitress was Scattered and couldn't multi task.. (and I don't like being touched) The place was noisy... and my steak ($36.00) was rough... Way over priced... I've had better meals at Outback... Charley's is off my dining list... They say 3 strikes and you're out.. You're Out!! My girlfriend gets upset when I complain so I don't.. she says reflect your dislike in the tip... $170.00 for a meal I didn't like is crazy...
- Outstanding!BirthdayDined on 8/6/2014Food and service was excellent! Will be back for sure. Server was on top and did a great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ohh the BisonBentheadsVIPDined on 8/4/2014High style modern steak house package ala Mortons but even better quality for my money. My two friends opted for non steak items. One loved her salmon the other liked her chicken although it was a bit overcooked in parts. I chose the off menu Bison rib eye done rare and it was astounding (as it should be for $60!). Everything was top quality and they do nickle and dime you for everything extra you are offered such as little containers of sauce and cheese or the wedge salad alternative to the house salad. If you keep your eye on those things you should not be disappointed in any aspect of this restaurant.Special Features:
- frankieDined on 8/2/2014the food and service was outstanding. The prices were very reasonable. We have always enjoyed Charley's.Special Features:
- Best Steak i ever HAD!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Me and my girlfriend went here on our vacation to Tampa and Clearwater. Nice place, extremely friendly staff. Even lost my sunglasses and the manager and waitress found them and return them to me before my flight left the next day. I will for sure be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.