Charley's Steak House - Tampa
4444 W Cypress St
Tampa, FL 33607Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Charley's Steak House - Tampa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.charleyssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 8133539706
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Scott Trepanier
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Charley's Steak House - Tampa
Charley's Steak House is owned by the Woodsby family and has operated in Florida since 1974. Charley’s serves only three-year-old USDA prime and choice Angus steers, aging them four to six weeks for tenderness & flavor and hand-cutting the steaks daily to ensure consistent quality. The steaks are then flame-broiled over Florida citrus and oak wood in a custom-built pit at 1200º searing in the tantalizing taste that has made Charley’s the #1 steakhouse in America every year since 2007! Charley’s philosophy of providing only the finest extends from the kitchen to the wine cellar. The wine list approaches 1000 selections from scores of exceptional wineries around the globe. Charley’s has been recognized with numerous awards including “Best of Award of Excellence” from Wine Spectator magazine, DiRōNA and Orlando Magazine’s“ Best Steak House & Best Old Favorite”. Charley’s has been creating fans from around the world for nearly 40 years. We look forward to having you become a fan soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Charley's Steak House - Tampa - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
Charley's Steak House - Tampa reviews from OpenTable diners
261 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (198)notable wine list (117)romantic (108)fit for foodies (72)good for groups (59)vibrant bar scene (32)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (27)late-night find (13)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (1)Show More
- The Best and the Worst!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014This was my 3rd visit to Charley's and each time was the same experience. It's a beautiful restaurant with elegant decor. The cocktails that we had were always above excellent! The appetizers superb. The wine list, great. Then comes the steak, ugh! I had the Kansas City strip the first time and the Delmonico the other times. Each time, the steak was tough and gristly. But I pretended to like it since we were with a party and not to be the whiner, I simply endured. Also, the so called "Signature" wood pit that they cook the steaks on adds a flavor that I can only describe as a smokey old chimney. If you're a steak house you should know how to select and cook steak, and Charley's just doesn't know how to do either.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014outstanding service, great food, a great wine/champagne listSpecial Features:
- Deliscious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014My filet was amazing, the cauliflower fantastic & the mushroom fondue appetizer very yummy. Service was excellent. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- what a nightTerminallyMarriedDined on 9/13/2014Charlie's in Tampa rivals the best of the best when it comes to great steak houses. From the moment you arrive on their driveway until you leave every detail is managed perfectly.Special Features:
- Always great steaksIlovefishDined on 9/13/2014Dining at Charley's is special. The steaks are always flavorful and well-prepared. The new dessert selections are fun and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diffrent but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014The steaks have an unique smoked flavor that was not exactly my cup of tea but good. Overall it's a very good place to dine if you want to try a different type of flavored steak.
- TampaEd1331VIPDined on 9/9/2014Great place for a steak been there many times, always great service and a fun place to celebrate anythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gem!JunebugDined on 9/6/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for any special occasion. We both loved it. The waiter was great and very on top of everything. The pricing is on the higher side but the portions are huge. I would definitely recommend the Lobster Mac & Cheese and the Kansas City New York Strip. The molten lava cake was superb as well. You truly can't go wrong with going here!Special Features:
- Not so great second time around!!TheFifGroupDined on 9/6/2014Went with a group for a birthday party and service was incredibly slow, the steaks we all ordered to be medium were, well, more medium rare and bleeding all over our plates. It was an awful experience!!Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014This was my 2nd time at Charley's. The steak with amazing. It melted in my mouth. The serveice was wonderful as always.....I will definitly go back !Special Features:
- Kickass!!!!luvsteakDined on 9/6/2014Great place to come for a special day like birthdays or anniversary. Worth every penny.Special Features:
- Consistently Outstanding!JeditexanVIPDined on 9/4/2014Very refined, great wine list, good service, and awesome menu. Try the alligator appetizer - it is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A different styleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Wish we could have seen how our steaks were cooked as told, by our server. A quick walk around to see the entire dining area would have been appreciated. Noise level high!Special Features:
- What happened?DisappointedDined on 9/3/2014My fiance and I love and have been to Charley's many times. We went on the 3rd with some friends and don't know if we will be back. Our serverer was celebrating her birthday and should have taken the night off. Three out of the four meals either had to be sent back or were not up to the normal Charley's presentation. A pork chop that could never be cooked all the way, cold crab legs, and a bland steak were our issues. Scott did take of the pork chop for our friend and sent dessert for each couple. It was dissapointing that for all we bragged about the excellent service and food to our friends to have an experience like this.Special Features:
- Great steaks!!!mjcalderone3Dined on 8/31/2014As always Charley's did not disappoint. The steaks are always great. The service was very attentive. The lobster mac and cheese was also a nice new addition to the menu. The bar also pours quality. Only disappointing thing was that the desserts are now made in-house and the new chocolate cake has Grand Marier in the icing; should stick with only chocolate dropping the Grand Marier.Special Features:
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The price of the food was understandable, but if I pay for a five star meal then that's what I should receive. The food was bland, the salad was brown. I was disappointed. But, the waiter was delightful.Special Features:
- we love charley'starheelsDined on 8/30/2014We make a special trip to Tampa just eat at Charley's. We usually go for the awesome Australian lobster tail although we did steak too this trip. We were celebrating 51 years of marriage. Looking forward to the next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoylifeDined on 8/30/2014Have dined a number of times and always very pleased. Would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:
- A South Tampa GemNatelyBatelyDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I have dined at Charley's on a number of occasions. We found this occasion much like the others. the food and service was excellent. I believe the value for the dollar is greater at Charley's than at other similar steakhouse's. The Flavor of the beef (wood grilled) is memorable. The service has an old school air about it, efficient precise and elegant. We left Happy and overly satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding wine, meal, and dessertHonHakDined on 8/29/2014The environment is awesome, very rustic in many ways with the lighting, decor, and dinning areas. The wine list is large - so we enjoyed the help of our server to recommend based on our description. It was a great choice - Chilean wine! We both had steak - which you can't go wrong. Cooked absolutely perfect temperature, and the cut of meats were the best you could expect. The dessert was a great surprise, chocolate/chocolate/chocolate with grand marnier! Overall - would go anytime, any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakSignGuyDined on 8/29/2014Beat I have ever had, service excellent would highly recommend for special occasions or just a great night out with someone special. On this night it was a business meeting and yes I closed the deal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food just be specificAlwayshungryDined on 8/27/2014Had dinner a Charley's a few nights ago asked for a medium steak which on the menu say hot pink center, what I received was barley cooked steak with a bright red center. Lobster Mac and Alaskan crab legs were great, don't get the mushroom and onions "not a lot of flavor barley caramelized"Special Features:
- The Ultimate SteakNYsteakloverDined on 8/27/2014This is an above the norm steakhouse. Unfortunately Rib eye steaks are not listed on the menu but they carry both black angus and Kobe steaks. The oversize steaks are reasonably priced and unbelievably delicious. Next time I'm in the Tampa area this is a must go place.Special Features:
- Charley's, a cut aboveNilesDined on 8/26/2014The food, as always, was outstanding and our waitress just made the entire evening even more enjoyable. Great service, great smile, sense of humor, very personable - the type that you would ask for again. Needless to say, I be returning sooner than later.Special Features:
- Worth the Experience!!tampatoriDined on 8/24/2014The steaks are enormous and some may appreciate the smokey flavor. I found it to be a bit to harsh for my taste buds but that's MY opinion. The service was good and a little scripted but our glasses where always full and we were very pleased. The Lobster Macaroni is to die for! The deserts are excellent! $400 later we left beyond full with leftovers to take home. I would suggest you definitely try it!! I also requested a medium steak and was definitely given a rare steak as was my husband. No I did not send it back but enjoyed it rare! LOL So just ask questions and be very very clear on how you want the center of your meat to look. Happy eats! Don't forget to tip the free valet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit better in the pastAgedFiletLoverDined on 8/23/20142nd visit in the last 2 weeks. The 1st visit the table did not have salt & pepper or sweetener on it, and both the martini glasses and water glasses had marks around the lip, .. not quite clean. The 2nd visit yesterday, filet delicious but I ordered it butterflied and it was not, did not get new knives when the steak arrived and the knives on the table upon sitting at it were looking like they should've been shined after coming out of the dishwasher. Overall Charley's is amazing but attention needs to be paid to the silverware, glassware, and the chandelier shades (1 in the bar behind the hostess stand has been crooked for a long time now!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so greatpbj1965Dined on 8/23/2014We had a birthday dinner there. promptly seated. Waiter took drink order from their specialty cocktail menu. Came back 15 minutes later and said they don't offer that drink anymore -- old menu. Anyway similar experience with appetizer -- sold out. Don't offer a Cesar salad!? Really? Dinner came and bison rib eye was good, but the bison filet was mediocre at best. The side dishes were very small. For my money, Ruth's Chris or Flemings is much better experience.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great time. Our server was Hector and he was great. He knew all about the food and wine. The steak was excellent.
- Every Time is the CharmHappyinTPADined on 8/23/2014My wife and I have been to Charley's on numerous occasions and it has never failed to deliver. The food is uniformly excellent, the service superb, and ambiance appreciated. You simply can't go wrong... unless you don't have reservations. On Friday and Saturday nights that is a big no-no.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014A letter in detail has been mailed. Not enough space was allowed to share my experience. Thank You
- Best Steaks in Tampa PERIOD!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014My brother and our two friends recently dined at Charley's Steakhouse. The service was great and the steaks were simply awesome. Their seafood was extremely good (Recommend the rock claws!) and the atmosphere was sublime. I would definitely go back again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Going to Charley's was a special occasion, my daughter's birthday. The drinks were prepared as perfect as humanly possible. The drinks were also large which is unusual in most restaurants. The service was very attentive and spaced perfectly. The food was outstanding especially the steaks. Overall it was a great evening and we will be back soon.Special Features:
- Best steak house in Tampa!BestSteakTampaDined on 8/17/2014Food was amazing! Great drinks and wine list. Bison ribeye, tartare, lobster Mac n chez are all must haves! Martinis are always a great start, they have some different and interesting ones on the drink menu. Wine list was pretty awesome as well, almost had the Screaming Eagle, yet left for future patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodSunshineInTampaDined on 8/17/2014My husband & I dine here on special occasions or if we are in need of delicious meal. Never been disappointed. Food & service is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chocolate cakeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The cake was ruined with the raspberry sauce. Just chocolate !! Dinner was delicious The open table app is great and I will use it again. WasSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Looked forward to visiting Charley's for a year now. finally got in.. Table Service was not attentive... understanding this is an upscale restaurant. The feeling was we were not ordering enough for attention. and the food was not cooked to order. Now .. we paid our bill and left an 18% tip.. we will not return.. :( Hope others have a more favorable review... Good Luck..
- Worst meal in some timeFoodie27Dined on 8/15/2014I have not been this disappointed in a meal in some time. For the amount of money we spent for a night out the highlight of our meal was the bottle of wine we purchased. My wife ordered a filet that was tough and the only taste it had was the taste of the wood it was cooked over which was entirely too strong. I ordered Sea Bass and I am not convinced the meal I received was Sea Bass. I frequently order this when I go out and this slab of fish did not resemble anything I have had before. It was over cooked and lacked flavor. There are several other restaurant options in the area near Charlie's that I would highly recommend over Charlie's. Very disappointed.
- Still Love CharleysrotatingmassDined on 8/14/2014I have been going to Charley's since 2002. The food is great. However, this latest time, they over cooked the steak. They caught it before they brought it out BUT it took them 30 minutes to get a new one cooked. The waitress (Susan) was great and the manager comped the drinks while we waited on the new steak. Once the steak came out it was great like always. I still love Charleys but someone dropped the ball this time.Special Features:
- JBfoodieDined on 8/12/2014Charley's continues to be a little hit and miss on the food. i have eaten there 3 times in the last 6 months and the steak has been less than tender 2 out of 3 times. Not a good batting average for a steak house that is supposed to be top of the line. Not a fan of their asparagus with the cheese; 86 the cheese. They had a cauliflower side that was very good that is not always on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience4lakelandDined on 8/12/2014My wife and I celebrating another wedding anniversary. Great food and service, can't go wrong here!Special Features: