Charley's Restaurant & Saloon
142 Hana Hwy
Paia, HI 96779Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Charley's Restaurant & Saloon
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://charleysmaui.com/index.cfm
- Phone: 8085798085
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: M-F 7:00am-12:00pm (noon)
Breakfast: Sa-Su 7:00am-1:00pm
Lunch: Su-Th 11:00am-9:00pm
Lunch: F-Sa 11:00am-10:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Charley's Restaurant & Saloon
Paia maintains its small-town, old Hawaii charm, and is now a bustling destination with restaurants, bars, shopping, coffee and gelato. At Charley’s you never know who might be sitting next to you. It’s long been a favorite hang-out for surfers, adventurers, writers, hippies, rock stars, artists, business leaders, celebrities, and all types, looking to get away and find the ultimate in Maui hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Charley's Restaurant & Saloon reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (2)fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Excellent breakfast!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Worth the drive to have breakfast. Had the blueberry pancake and it is stuffed with fresh blueberries and probably 10" in diameter. One and a side of breakfast meat would be a filling breakfast. Reasonable prices and good service. Paia is a nice, walkable town with many shops near to visit before or after a meal at Charley's. Would return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic small town placetoobusyboopDined on 8/20/2014A great place in "upcountry." Legendary people have stopped in there and enjoyed it very much; so did we! Excellent breakfasts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come at the right time!12345richfoodDined on 8/16/2014It was my birthday last saturday. read the menu online and wanted their dinner. But we arrived 2 hours before dinner would be served and ended up eating from the lunch menu. Although it wasn't what I wanted, it was very good! We live on the other side of island so timing can make things difficult. I would recommend this restaurant, the food was really good and the waitress was very nice. :)Special Features:
- Late lunchICU812Dined on 7/28/2014Not many people around mid-week, service was excellent, and so was the food. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 14 reviews are from the Charley's Restaurant & Saloon reviews archive.
- Underrated dining and live musicKiheicaseyDined on 4/9/2014Started with a iced mocha, it came with lots of whipped cream, and I ordered another! Had the bruschetta as appetizer, it was very good! Shared the steak poki bites, super tasty! I had the fried chicken which was spot on, cornbread was delicious and coleslaw perfect...I even ordered a pizza to go and ate most when I got home. Mixed drinks were excellent. Waitress was understanding of friends allergies and did right thing and asked the cook what was okay. Met the owner, Jonathan, and told him we had a marvelous dinner! (Hoping for Maui Onion rings next time)Special Features:
- Great service! Food was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/24/2014Great service! Food was very good for a last minute decision to get a bite as we'd just landed on Maui. It was mid- afternoon so the place wasn't busy. However I see that they have a regular music series (with a permanent stage) so I'd like to go back when the place is rocking with music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar is tiredOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014Charley's is one the first spots in town, so it's loved by locals by tradition. And sometimes the "famous" do come in for a drink or even to play a little music. But, it's tired...the food needs to kick it up a notch. The drinks are watery...Special Features:
- Just "OK"spartacatVIPDined on 2/16/2014This place came highly recommended to us on our trip to Maui, so we thought for sure we'd try it out, and we kind of felt let down after. The night we went did not have a band... so that might have a little to do with it. The food was very good - no problem there, however was put off with the waitress (blonde with a pony tail), who made us feel like we didn't "fit in" with the young surfer dude population they were obviously trying to attract. (We are in our mid to late 40's). We were pretty much ignored to get a drink for the longest time, then endured another long wait for her to take our order. The icing was when we asked her for the cheque... she "forgot" and dropped it off about 15-20 minutes later. Disappointing service, but good foodSpecial Features:
- A whole new Charley'sdacia808Dined on 2/7/2014We decided to eat at Charley's before the Kings of Spade show. My expectations were low because the last I was there the food and drinks were definitely dive bar and nothing special. We were totally blown away. Not only did they have an excellent and inspiring cocktail menu (along with several great beers on tap) the food was not at all what I expected. I had the Haiku Hippie (Hendricks gin & St. Germaine) it was outstanding & my husband had the margarita...just as delicious. I had a spinach salad with quinoa and pumpkin...amazing!! Everything way exceeded my expectations and I will be back soon. Kings of Spade were EPIC! and our server Keri was super great. She made it a fun night for us all and when we go back we will request her =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the Road to HanaMissReneDined on 10/17/2013What a delightful treat. The giant cinnamon roll was beautiful and tasty we had to stop on the way back from Hana to get another. Excellent and reasonably priced in Maui which was a surprise!Special Features:
- Many years ago I always madeBrianPalmSpringsDined on 10/6/2013Many years ago I always made a point of going to Charley's away from the touristy areas when visiting Maui. It had a exceptional dinner menu you would not expect for a rustic place in Old Town Paia. The small number of tables in the front dining room gave it a special feel and was always crowded with visitors and locals waiting for tables. Now you get seated in the adjacent and very loud sports bar ("Go ahead and sit anywhere you like and we will be with you in ... 5 min"). The front dining room was not being used. The menu is not exceptional and was more focused on typical bar fare. Still popular with loud locals watching today's game on big screen but few visitors. It's main draw seems to be "Willie Nelson hangs out here". Not tonight.Special Features:
- Excellent typical place!lucienDined on 9/21/2013a must see in maui, please go and enjoy the nice locals and drinks. Try to see Willie K in Maui, he is fantastic musician.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2013Food was terrible! and response when it was sent back was even worse. Will never go there again.
- I had not been to Charley'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013I had not been to Charley's in years. I remember the food being typical bar food. The menu has changed for the better and the place has cleaned up a lot. I had the vegetarian curry which was really really good, my husband had a local grass fed burger which was great too. There was a lovely woman singing, the beer was great and prices were reasonable. We will be back!
- My husband and I really enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/8/2013My husband and I really enjoyed the open mic night at Charley's! It was full of talented singers, musicians, and artists that were a blast to listen to and watch. A wonderful experience on our honeymoon!Special Features:
- The fun of this restaurantMarieDined on 3/7/2013The fun of this restaurant is that it is located in the middle of Paia. I like its causual aptmosphere and friendly staff. Food is OK. OJ was terrible. Service was OK too. Easy place to have breakfast before heading to Hana.Special Features:
- Good onion rings. The homemadeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/26/2012Good onion rings. The homemade tortilla chips were almost gone. They gave us the end of the supply and did not charge us but really? Mostly crumbs and salt.Burger was not cooked very well. Fries were greasy. Fish and chips were over cooked, fish was dry. Poor service.
- Went there twice and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2012Went there twice and the food was very good. Don't let the atmosphere scare you away.