Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids
63 Market Avenue S.W.
Grand Rapids, MI 49503Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.muer.com/
- Phone: 6164592500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Brandan Penland
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids
Situated in downtown Grand Rapids overlooking the Grand River, Charley’s Crab offers the freshest fish & seafood in an incredible setting. Whether it’s cracking open crab legs or lobster at the table, or finding the perfect wine to match your entrée, Charley’s Crab provides professional, comfortable tableside service, while the chef & kitchen staff combine culinary talents behind the scenes to prepare & present the day’s freshest catches. From Dungeness crab, shrimp & mussels to beef, poultry & mouthwatering appetizers, the dining experience at Charley’s is unforgettable. Charley’s Crab offers a superb Sunday Brunch as well as Happy Hour specials Monday through Friday from 3:00pm to 7:00pm in the Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids - Best Restaurants in Grand Rapids ›
Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (76)special occasion (68)romantic (39)good for groups (30)great for brunch (29)fit for foodies (27)notable wine list (26)great for outdoor dining (19)great for lunch (13)neighborhood gem (11)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (1)Show More
- disappointed to say the leastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014first I requested a secluded table for our anniversary, we were stuck out in the open with people all around us (and it was very slow)....along the low wall, it was raining outside and water began dripping from the upper windows! I had to ask to move tables, waitress never noticed! Waitress never asked if we wanted more bread, wasn't around much (even though they weren't busy at all for a Saturday night at 630!) I ordered a Great Lakes special, that consisted of Walleye, perch and hash brown encrusted whitefish. Walleye wasn't done, perch was decent, the hashbrown encrusted whitefish was horrible, soggy hashbrowns covering a poor piece of fish with ZERO flavor. Way over priced for the quality of food, and service!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I took our waitress too long (10-15) to bring me additonal sauce for my cocoktail shrimp. My dinner/shrimp was getting cold while I was waiting. I wanted to remidner her ot bring it to me but she was never around. I could see if it was super busy, but it was not. Not very many customers that night.Special Features:
- Charely'OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The service was excellent. We had been warned by others that service had been somewhat spotty. It was not the case for us. We could not have been more pleased.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We love Charley's Crab......have never gotten a bad meal there! There have been a few times when the service has been so-so, but hey! it's hard to find good help, and we just tip accordingly (it's never been bad enough to complain). Charley's is great for relaxing, catching up with friends; you can actually hear yourselves talk....all in all a great time! One of our faves for sure:):)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing yet festiveLate4dinnerDined on 9/10/2014Charlie's Crab was a delightfully perfect fit for dinner with friends that I hadn't seen in awhile. The beautiful riverside seating and good acoustics provided just the right atmosphere for conversation. We enjoyed everything about the place. We all had seafood. Our meals were tasty, well prepared and artistically presented. The bread was fresh from the oven. I'd go back just for that bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait for tableMsmcgDined on 9/8/2014Arrived at reserved time, were told of 30 min delay for reservations. Facebook page has comments that this has happened before. The FB page page suggested they had tables available in 15 and 20 min (not! Standing room only at the bar and they ran out of glasses). I showed the hostess FB and she said she has no idea how that works. Shame on management and owners for putting employees and customers through this very dining unfriendly experience. It was a concert night but the venue has been in town over 10 years, that should not be an excuse - it's also the reason we made reservations...luckily concert started 10 min late but we only salad, not dinner as hopedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrabbyDined on 9/8/2014Confet in town and not prepared. Server was kind but spread thin. Food was like warm when delivered. Known for seafood but tasted dry and like it was cooked over a heat lamp. Made advance reservations but was sat 20 min late with half the dining room empty. Been there before when it was much better. At their price point, these problems are not acceptable.
- Never againMichigan0718Dined on 9/8/2014After arriving promptly at 6:15 for our reservation, we were told it would be an additional 10-15 minutes until we were seated because they were "really backed up". At 6:55, we were finally seated. We finally saw a waitress around 7:15 and was told that if we wanted to make our concert (@8:00), we probably wouldnt get our meals in time. We took a chance and ordered anyway, both my wife and I ordered the coconut shrimp be ause we thought it would be quick and easy. We finally got a glass of water ten minutes later. I asked to speak with a manager and was told someone would be by to see me, which never happened. We did not see a waitress again, and at 7:50 we just left. I dine frequently for work, over 8 times a week....worst experience ever.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014I was seated in the aisle and other patrons and wait staff kept bumping in to the back of my seat, and since it was concert night no chance to move to another location ughSpecial Features:
- MehcateVIPDined on 8/31/2014It was okay. Brunch was not as good as previously. No longer is their Martha's Vineyard and Caesar's salad on the brunch table. Creme brulee not as good. Do like the omelet "station" in the kitchen and delivered to you. Setting and view are ideal.Special Features:
- Trish's commentsTrishDined on 8/24/2014Great fresh seafood, nice wine list, draft beer--oh--great fresh greens!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow not what Charley's used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014Really has gone down hill. With all the nice new restaurants around Charley's used to be one of my favorites. We had a table of 6 never had anything to drink, always empty. There were tons of waiters standing around and nobody filled water or beverages. We sat and watched three tables get set outside and they never even washed it , bugs and dirt were on it. Poor people who ate on it. I've been numerous times and this year seems to have dropped its service rating. Food was still great, yet you pay good money to come to a special place. I told a friend and she agreed and said she noticed also on Mother's Day and they go every mothers day for years. Sad!Special Features:
- Charleys CrabSherrieDined on 8/22/2014Went to Charley's Crab for restaurant week 2014. We hadn't been to this restaurant in 10 years because of a bad experience. Decided to try it again and it exceeded our expectations!! The food was fantastic, wait staff was attentive and we dined outside by the river and it was beautiful as the sunset. We will be returning for another meal soon! Thank You!!Special Features:
- EnjoyableTawandaDined on 8/22/2014Our server was helpful answering any questions or finding out if bartender knew of a certain drink. We did not feel rushed and our table was tended to nicely. We thoroughly enjoyed our food and the portions were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week 2014KitkatDined on 8/22/2014Service seemed slow, waitress had to wait for bread, it was 6:30 pm and dinner hour. I asked if the lime shrimp was spicy she said not so much and was the most popular entree for restaurant week. I was disappointed spicy and had to peel and eat shrimp. I expected better than red lobster food. Price was bit high for food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Food was great, service and the setting by the river was perfect. recommend to anyone wanting a romantic evening, it's here, but ask for a window table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodcoldfoodDined on 8/17/2014poor quality of food, food was cold, nothing special about the food, a lot looked like leftovers needs to be remodeled, looks the same as 15 years ago
- Used to be much betterAllegandinerDined on 8/17/2014Food was poor, that's being kind. Arrived at noon, brunch was set up. Sushi was dry and tasteless. Desserts were poor. Had a dried out piece of ham they were slicing, they should not have bothered. Ramp over step up to the buffet was shaky, need to invest a couple of dollars in a sturdier piece of wood.Special Features:
- Not the best tonightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014I have been very happy with Charley's Crab, but tonight's experience was not the best. I would have thought that during restaurant week, I would have gotten a great meal as it is a chance for the restaurant to shine a bit to patrons who might not normally come. If this was my only experience there, I am not sure that I would have come back. It wasn't horrible, but the service was slow for not that many customers, and the food just wasn't top notch.Special Features:
- On the WaterRangersFanDined on 8/14/2014Charley's crab is a cool place. On the water and nice atmosphere. However, my wife and I are foodies and didn't really care for our entrees but the Appetizers were good as well as dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014We chose the Restaurant Week special menu. The presentation was superb, and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great view of the riverkzcnDined on 8/13/2014Charley's Crab provided incredible seafood dishes, great appetizers, and really incredible desserts. Service was excellent, the view was unique, and ambiance, even for larger groups was great.Special Features:
- NotSoHappyDinerDined on 8/11/2014Service not the best and food was middle of the road at best. An oldler downtown restaurant that we did expect more from. I would not recommend this restaurant to my friends for the money spent.
- Disappointed again.1CharliesfanDined on 7/31/2014My husband and I went to Charlie's for our 30th Anniversary and were very disappointed. We both ordered surf and turf. My steak was way overdone. I ordered it medium rare and it was close to well done. Both of our lobster tails were over cooked, smelled fishy and tasted rubbery. We didn't complain but the waitress overheard us talking and sent the Manager to talk to us. He offered us a free desert which we declined. The service was fantastic but I don't know if we will be back.Special Features:
- Comfortable w. Linen Tablecloth!OutoftownerDined on 7/27/2014We enjoyed a non-rushed, quiet, and tasty dinner. Our waitress (in this case) knew about wines, good parings, and all items on the menu. The food arrived in a timely fashion (each course), and it was wonderful. We had a great time in a lovely spot and felt totally relaxed and pampered. Thanks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Food was good but we waited almost 2 hours before we got our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long Food Wait TimeRockfordmanDined on 7/25/2014Overall, everything was superb as usual except for the food wait time during this visit. Had to wait for about 50 minutes from the time out order was placed til the main course was served. The manager oppogized twice about two minutes before it came out and when we left. We will come back again because this place is always a gem but had to mention this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible food at an expensive priceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014Went there with husband for dinner before a concert. Waited over an hour for our food after we placed our order. Food finally arrived and it was pathetic the size of the fish and vegetables for the price we were paying! Waitress was busy however, not very attentive. For the price of entrees, the taste was terrible. Will never go back again
- Another Great ChuckMuers RestaurantBrianDined on 7/25/2014We're not from G.R., so weren't sure where to have dinner before the show at Van Andel Arena. We've been to a few other Chuck Muer's restaurants, so we were pretty sure it would be good. Well, it was even better than expected. The interior has been re-done lately, and the view of the Grand River outside is wonderful. The food and service was excellent, especially the seafood. Would go back in a heartbeat. Afterward it was a short walk to the arena for a great show. Just take the overpass cross-walk from the nearby parking lot. Goes through the next building and delivers you to the second floor of the arena for short lines at the level you need to enter. Restaurant couldn't be better located for the venue.Special Features:
- DisappointingSpecialmealsDined on 7/24/2014We have dined at Charlie's Crab many years, particularly for special celebrations, or just to pamper ourselves. The last two times we've dined, the main meal has greatly disappointed us. The vegetables were undercooked and non-seasoned. The meat (steak for my husband, fish for me) was not exceptional at all. We thought of mentioned it to the waitress, but there were too many things we were disappointed about and we were headed for the theatre. The salads were good, the coffee was excellent.
- Good Food and Wait StaffGoodFoodieFoodDined on 7/22/2014The fish was fresh and prepared to our specs. The wait staff was attentive, pleasant and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- judyDined on 7/18/2014Your food is always good. Our waitress, Bethany does an outstanding job and is always friendly, courteous and goes out of her waySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charley's July 4thLakeguy01Dined on 7/6/2014We've been going here for years, including the Troy and Palm Beach venues. It was a holiday weekend and there were not a lot of customers. The service was awesome, Stephanie couldn't have been better. The food was soso. The shrimp was over cooked, the mussels weren't all opened and the molten cake didn't run. But the crab was excellent. Not sure if we had a less experienced chef or if it's a deeper issue. Never had any issue before this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite up to previous standardTony0625Dined on 7/5/2014I have visited Charley's Crab more than 30 times previously. This was a bit disappointing compared to every other visit. My guests were very happy with their selections. However, my king crab, while generous and tasty, contained all claws and short pieces, making it very tedious to consume. I returned the following morning as another person's guest for Sunday Brunch, which was very much up to my previous expectation. I will assume my crab was an anomaly, and expect to be returning many times in the future. The service was, as usual, outstanding. The staff was very attentive, but not obtrusive or overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expected more--just okmom2fourDined on 7/3/2014I don't like seafood but my husband does. There is hardly any selection that does not include seafood. The chicken was ok but in my opinion very overpriced for what I got. My husband said the fish was goodSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014Our dining experience was phenomenal. It began at the front door and continued to the tasty brie appetizer, summer themed drinks and incredibly delicious meals. Our server was friendly and very efficient. She attended to every question and was quick with a response to our needs. She was polite and helpful. Every bite was delicious and I have told many people about what a great experience it was. I also appreciated placing a reservation on-line. I will definitely return, not only for a special occasion, but just because I want to!Special Features:
- Fabulous food and serviceHankDined on 6/30/2014I treated my four spirit sisters to dinner to celebrate all kinds of wonderful things. We had a fabulous meal and our waiter, Calvin, was just fabulous! We don't get to be together very often, so this was an important time for us. Thanks for a great experience!Special Features:
- DisappointedProdjDined on 6/29/2014Food quality at brunch was terrible. Paid a lot of money for items we could have gotten from the breakfast bar at Big Boy. Belgian Waffles were soggy, French Toast was burned (I wouldn't have fed it to my own family) and mashed potatoes were runny. Three of the six in our party ordered omelets and they couldn't even get the cheese fully melted in any of them. And their dessert bar? What appeared to be store bought cookies and Rice Krispy Treats... really? Brunch for 6 cost over $180 (less tip) - we expected much better.
- Great SeafoodmgmgriggsDined on 6/28/2014We have been to Charley's Crab several occasions as a family, and the experience gets better each time. This time, it was the birthday of one of our daughters. The service was good and prompt. The food was very delicious. They never disappoint.Special Features:
- 25th Wedding AnniversaryRuthieDined on 6/24/2014Our waitress was Olivia. She was a very awesome server, friendl, always smiling, checking to see if how everything was, and very knowlegable regarding the menu. Charlie's Crab has the best waitresses in town. I do have to say the Chef's dessert of Strawberry Shortcake was ok, the bread topping was pretty dry and really does not to be put on top of the dessert...Otherwise everything was delicious.Special Features: