Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids
63 Market Avenue S.W.
Grand Rapids, MI 49503Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.muer.com/
- Phone: 6164592500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Brandan Penland
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids
Situated in downtown Grand Rapids overlooking the Grand River, Charley’s Crab offers the freshest fish & seafood in an incredible setting. Whether it’s cracking open crab legs or lobster at the table, or finding the perfect wine to match your entrée, Charley’s Crab provides professional, comfortable tableside service, while the chef & kitchen staff combine culinary talents behind the scenes to prepare & present the day’s freshest catches. From Dungeness crab, shrimp & mussels to beef, poultry & mouthwatering appetizers, the dining experience at Charley’s is unforgettable. Charley’s Crab offers a superb Sunday Brunch as well as Happy Hour specials Monday through Friday from 3:00pm to 7:00pm in the Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids - Best Restaurants in Grand Rapids ›
Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (73)special occasion (70)romantic (44)fit for foodies (34)good for groups (25)notable wine list (24)great for brunch (20)great for outdoor dining (15)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- BB623Dined on 10/11/2014The food was adequate. I had the Snapper was excellent but the rice that was with it was cold and had no flavor. My wife had the combination and and her califlower was cold also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They have lost their wayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Two adults for salads and meals and a single glass of wine for each and the bill was over $120. Not so much that the bill was over $100 but very disappointingly slow service. For $30+ entrees I expect very good service and I don't want to be looking at other diners in t-shirts and jeans!. Also at that level of price I don't feel like I should be up-charged $1 to change my vegetable from cauliflower to receive 2 sprigs of asparagus? If profits are so tight, hire one more person and visit the tables more frequently. You will sell more drinks which is much more profitable then upsetting your customers over $1!
- Great experiance as alwaysGregDined on 10/11/2014Food was good, resteraunt was busy Sat. night but in a good vibrant way. Service was understandably a little slow but it was worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hey bartenderOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We enjoyed wonderful food and outstanding attention at Charley's Crab. The drinkers' complaint: drinks too sweet.Special Features:
- SUEKDined on 10/10/2014Took perfect care and personal attention to my food allergiesI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Our server was charming and efficient. The Lobster Bisque was AMAZING! The atmosphere was calm and pleasant. Definitely and experience worth repeating.Special Features:
- OutstandingCharlesDined on 10/3/2014We have enjoyed Charley's Crab since it first opened. Our most recent experiences was no exception. Although it continues to be noisy due to the hard surfaces, both food and service are outstanding. We had mussels and sea bass; both were excellently prepared and delivered hot to our table. We shall return.Special Features:
- Nice location. The end.ReviewerDined on 10/3/2014We dined here for our 16th Wedding Anniversary. We've been to the restaurant before, but it had been about 4 years or so. We saved up some money, as I knew it wasn't a cheap place to eat. We left feeling guilty about the amount of money we spent on a very sub-par experience. The food itself was actually quite good, although I never received my sides that were supposed to come with my $58 crab legs. My husband ordered the filet and a half order of the crab legs and when the server brought out our meals he said 'the cooks messed up and put both orders of crab legs on the same plate' - he never offered to rectify the situation that should have already been rectified by the time he brought the food to our table. I'm out of space. Never again.Special Features:
- watch those stairsNFHUVIPDined on 10/3/2014my wife and I both tripped on the stairs in their dining room. one of the staff assist my wife as I was too far away, nevertheless some visual aid would be good. these steps are wood and blend so well with the decor that seniors (we are both 60) need fairer warning. as for the dinner, not as good as last year for our Art Prize outing. the mahi-mahi was tougher than I am used to; not bad, just not worth the price. and the menu is very limited for people with food allergies and dairy-product restrictions. also the chef had decided that the specials, like the mahi-mahi, would all have a sweet element, something most of us would prefer to wait for until dessert. with regret it is not likely we will be back.
- "Sam"OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014This is one of the finest dining experiences in the SW area of Michigan. The food is presented well, the service is wonderful, the aura is soothing, and the food is excellent. It was a real treat to be able to dine there again, and I will look forward to the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/29/2014Creative seafood offerings! Seasonal and fresh! And sanders hot fudge . . . yUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Our VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014I had read bad reviews about this restaurant, but we enjoyed our dining experience very much. We were greeted by a friendly hostess who seated us immediately, at a table by the window (which I had requested when I made the reservation). Our waitress was very pleasant and friendly. The food was excellent. We would definitely visit Charley's Crab again next time we're in Grand Rapids.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceklgluvtodineDined on 9/27/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at this restaurant. Great service , atmosphere and food was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WjhjhjKevinDined on 9/26/2014Ghigjhguigugiuhjlhjlhjlhkhlknklnlknlknklnklnklnlnlknklnlknlknlknklnklnklnklnlknlihlib
- specials good, steak not so muchjek1392Dined on 9/26/2014One order of the main nahi special was great. The filet for the non seafood eater was horrible. Mushy, gray, overall unappaitizing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolideatingDined on 9/22/2014Situated in the middle of the town but away from the hustle and bustle, Charley's Crab is somewhere you'll go for a special evening out. It offers an array of seafood dishes such as Oyster Rockefeller, which was delicious but unfortunately my snapper was a little dry. Nonetheless the it was an enjoyable occasion.Special Features:
- Disappointeddrb485Dined on 9/21/2014It has been awhile since we had brunch a Charley's Crab. We won't be back. Our reservation was for 1:15 and when we went through the buffet line, the food selection was poorly presented. The rolls were cold and hard, the egg/ham was cold and runny, the prime rib was down to its last few pieces and either way over cooked or terribly raw. The fruit had a very poor selection - watermelon, cantaloupe and pineapple is all. There were no beverages offered with the brunch -no coffee or orange juice. We also had a Grand Rapids Magazine buy one, get one - we had five of us and when we got the bill, only $10 was taken off. This was not clearly stated on the offering. All in all, very disappointing experience.
- disappointed to say the leastblackcoyoteDined on 9/20/2014first I requested a secluded table for our anniversary, we were stuck out in the open with people all around us (and it was very slow)....along the low wall, it was raining outside and water began dripping from the upper windows! I had to ask to move tables, waitress never noticed! Waitress never asked if we wanted more bread, wasn't around much (even though they weren't busy at all for a Saturday night at 630!) I ordered a Great Lakes special, that consisted of Walleye, perch and hash brown encrusted whitefish. Walleye wasn't done, perch was decent, the hashbrown encrusted whitefish was horrible, soggy hashbrowns covering a poor piece of fish with ZERO flavor. Way over priced for the quality of food, and service!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I took our waitress too long (10-15) to bring me additonal sauce for my cocoktail shrimp. My dinner/shrimp was getting cold while I was waiting. I wanted to remidner her ot bring it to me but she was never around. I could see if it was super busy, but it was not. Not very many customers that night.Special Features:
- Charely'OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The service was excellent. We had been warned by others that service had been somewhat spotty. It was not the case for us. We could not have been more pleased.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We love Charley's Crab......have never gotten a bad meal there! There have been a few times when the service has been so-so, but hey! it's hard to find good help, and we just tip accordingly (it's never been bad enough to complain). Charley's is great for relaxing, catching up with friends; you can actually hear yourselves talk....all in all a great time! One of our faves for sure:):)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing yet festiveLate4dinnerDined on 9/10/2014Charlie's Crab was a delightfully perfect fit for dinner with friends that I hadn't seen in awhile. The beautiful riverside seating and good acoustics provided just the right atmosphere for conversation. We enjoyed everything about the place. We all had seafood. Our meals were tasty, well prepared and artistically presented. The bread was fresh from the oven. I'd go back just for that bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait for tableMsmcgDined on 9/8/2014Arrived at reserved time, were told of 30 min delay for reservations. Facebook page has comments that this has happened before. The FB page page suggested they had tables available in 15 and 20 min (not! Standing room only at the bar and they ran out of glasses). I showed the hostess FB and she said she has no idea how that works. Shame on management and owners for putting employees and customers through this very dining unfriendly experience. It was a concert night but the venue has been in town over 10 years, that should not be an excuse - it's also the reason we made reservations...luckily concert started 10 min late but we only salad, not dinner as hopedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrabbyDined on 9/8/2014Confet in town and not prepared. Server was kind but spread thin. Food was like warm when delivered. Known for seafood but tasted dry and like it was cooked over a heat lamp. Made advance reservations but was sat 20 min late with half the dining room empty. Been there before when it was much better. At their price point, these problems are not acceptable.
- Never againMichigan0718Dined on 9/8/2014After arriving promptly at 6:15 for our reservation, we were told it would be an additional 10-15 minutes until we were seated because they were "really backed up". At 6:55, we were finally seated. We finally saw a waitress around 7:15 and was told that if we wanted to make our concert (@8:00), we probably wouldnt get our meals in time. We took a chance and ordered anyway, both my wife and I ordered the coconut shrimp be ause we thought it would be quick and easy. We finally got a glass of water ten minutes later. I asked to speak with a manager and was told someone would be by to see me, which never happened. We did not see a waitress again, and at 7:50 we just left. I dine frequently for work, over 8 times a week....worst experience ever.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014I was seated in the aisle and other patrons and wait staff kept bumping in to the back of my seat, and since it was concert night no chance to move to another location ughSpecial Features:
- MehcateVIPDined on 8/31/2014It was okay. Brunch was not as good as previously. No longer is their Martha's Vineyard and Caesar's salad on the brunch table. Creme brulee not as good. Do like the omelet "station" in the kitchen and delivered to you. Setting and view are ideal.Special Features:
- Trish's commentsTrishDined on 8/24/2014Great fresh seafood, nice wine list, draft beer--oh--great fresh greens!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow not what Charley's used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014Really has gone down hill. With all the nice new restaurants around Charley's used to be one of my favorites. We had a table of 6 never had anything to drink, always empty. There were tons of waiters standing around and nobody filled water or beverages. We sat and watched three tables get set outside and they never even washed it , bugs and dirt were on it. Poor people who ate on it. I've been numerous times and this year seems to have dropped its service rating. Food was still great, yet you pay good money to come to a special place. I told a friend and she agreed and said she noticed also on Mother's Day and they go every mothers day for years. Sad!Special Features:
- Charleys CrabSherrieDined on 8/22/2014Went to Charley's Crab for restaurant week 2014. We hadn't been to this restaurant in 10 years because of a bad experience. Decided to try it again and it exceeded our expectations!! The food was fantastic, wait staff was attentive and we dined outside by the river and it was beautiful as the sunset. We will be returning for another meal soon! Thank You!!Special Features:
- EnjoyableTawandaDined on 8/22/2014Our server was helpful answering any questions or finding out if bartender knew of a certain drink. We did not feel rushed and our table was tended to nicely. We thoroughly enjoyed our food and the portions were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week 2014KitkatDined on 8/22/2014Service seemed slow, waitress had to wait for bread, it was 6:30 pm and dinner hour. I asked if the lime shrimp was spicy she said not so much and was the most popular entree for restaurant week. I was disappointed spicy and had to peel and eat shrimp. I expected better than red lobster food. Price was bit high for food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Food was great, service and the setting by the river was perfect. recommend to anyone wanting a romantic evening, it's here, but ask for a window table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodcoldfoodDined on 8/17/2014poor quality of food, food was cold, nothing special about the food, a lot looked like leftovers needs to be remodeled, looks the same as 15 years ago
- Used to be much betterAllegandinerDined on 8/17/2014Food was poor, that's being kind. Arrived at noon, brunch was set up. Sushi was dry and tasteless. Desserts were poor. Had a dried out piece of ham they were slicing, they should not have bothered. Ramp over step up to the buffet was shaky, need to invest a couple of dollars in a sturdier piece of wood.Special Features:
- Not the best tonightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014I have been very happy with Charley's Crab, but tonight's experience was not the best. I would have thought that during restaurant week, I would have gotten a great meal as it is a chance for the restaurant to shine a bit to patrons who might not normally come. If this was my only experience there, I am not sure that I would have come back. It wasn't horrible, but the service was slow for not that many customers, and the food just wasn't top notch.Special Features:
- On the WaterRangersFanDined on 8/14/2014Charley's crab is a cool place. On the water and nice atmosphere. However, my wife and I are foodies and didn't really care for our entrees but the Appetizers were good as well as dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014We chose the Restaurant Week special menu. The presentation was superb, and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great view of the riverkzcnDined on 8/13/2014Charley's Crab provided incredible seafood dishes, great appetizers, and really incredible desserts. Service was excellent, the view was unique, and ambiance, even for larger groups was great.Special Features:
- NotSoHappyDinerDined on 8/11/2014Service not the best and food was middle of the road at best. An oldler downtown restaurant that we did expect more from. I would not recommend this restaurant to my friends for the money spent.