Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids
63 Market Avenue S.W.
Grand Rapids, MI 49503Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.muer.com/
- Phone: (616) 459-2500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Brandan Penland
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids
Situated in downtown Grand Rapids overlooking the Grand River, Charley’s Crab offers the freshest fish & seafood in an incredible setting. Whether it’s cracking open crab legs or lobster at the table, or finding the perfect wine to match your entrée, Charley’s Crab provides professional, comfortable tableside service, while the chef & kitchen staff combine culinary talents behind the scenes to prepare & present the day’s freshest catches. From Dungeness crab, shrimp & mussels to beef, poultry & mouthwatering appetizers, the dining experience at Charley’s is unforgettable. Charley’s Crab offers a superb Sunday Brunch as well as Happy Hour specials Monday through Friday from 3:00pm to 7:00pm in the Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids - Best Restaurants in Grand Rapids ›
Charley's Crab - Grand Rapids reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (72)scenic view (71)romantic (44)fit for foodies (33)good for groups (25)notable wine list (25)great for brunch (18)neighborhood gem (13)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (7)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)Show More
- A bit overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014It wasn't a bad experience and the food was decent but the prices had my expectations high. For what I paid I'd sooner go to Ruth's Chris or the Chop House for superior food and service at a comparable price. If you're drawn to a menu item because of the risotto listed choose the next thing. The "risotto" was a wild rice blend that was very dry and flavorless. The rice was molded in a bowl and flipped onto the plate to maintain the bowl shape - inediable.Special Features:
- Never disappointed!JakeDined on 11/16/2014The consistency of their food and service is tops of the line. We have never been disappointed dining at Charleys Crab. Their variety of food at brunch and the selection of wines is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Family DinnerTammiSueDined on 11/11/2014The food was wonderful - Mahi Mahi, King crab legs, Whitefish, Perch, Shrimp and Brie appetizers! The service was at times slow. I inquired about my $25 credit I had earned and the server pointed it out on my lower part of the check. Great...so I thought it would deducted from my bill. I find later that it was not and now I have a $50 credit. So maybe I'm missing the process on how to get the credit applied.Special Features:
- Great Food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Our table of six had Diverse selections from the menu and they were all delicious. The wait staff was attentive and the kitchen had our food tableside in a timely manner. Looking forward to going back to Charlies Crab Grand Rapids.Special Features:
- GOOD BUT NOT SPECIALOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014We have been to Charley's Crab several times and have had better experiences than on this occasion. The food was certainly good--but other times it has been great. The service was good but we've had better servers. Overall we found the evening acceptable but not memorable and we expect the latter from a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014My husband took me to Charley's for romantic get away and unfortunately they put us next to a table with a very loud a group at it -I believe that was the hostess's fault. There were a lot of other empty two tops in the restaurant where we could have been seated. I husband and I could not even hear each other. It definitely put a damper on a romantic dinner. However, that being said, everything else was outstanding. Our server was excellent, the food was excellent, and the restaurant was beautiful, I would definitely go back... but be careful about where I sat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service! Very disappointing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The atmosphere was special, complemented with excellent service. The wine was fantastic. I had been to Charley's crab back in 2007 and immensely enjoyed every aspect of my time there. Then, I was with a group of co-workers. The food was fantastic and I had remembered how delicious the crab cakes were. I wanted to revisit Charley's Crab and enjoy a wonderful dining experience again. I decided to try the crab cakes again. I may have imagined the food to be better than it was. When the crab cakes were served, everything looked fairly well presented but the crab cakes tasted fishy and the rice bland. The asparagus were so large, which looked lovely in the presentation, but they were almost entirely raw. I awkwardly tried to cut them with the knife but the table knife was so dull, it was as if my knife snapped the asparagus rather than cut it. I really wanted to love the meal. I wanted to give a fantastic review. Sadly, I don't plan to ever return again.
- Good Service, Ok Food4starchefDined on 10/25/2014Our server was extremely friendly, however the food was not to the standard of what I would expect for this restaurant. My wife's entree was delicious, mine was a bit flat. It had potential for great flavor, but somehow it got missed on my plate. Expected more than I was delivered, probably won't go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Superb food and service. Can't get here often enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All except the beansdea3VIPDined on 10/17/2014Our food was very good except for the green beans that were way undercooked.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014I don't eat seafood; my Dad does and it was his birthday. His lobster was amazing and my steak was great too! We had personalized menus that said Happy Birthday on the top of them and we thought that was a really wonderful touch!Special Features:
- BB623Dined on 10/11/2014The food was adequate. I had the Snapper was excellent but the rice that was with it was cold and had no flavor. My wife had the combination and and her califlower was cold also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They have lost their wayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Two adults for salads and meals and a single glass of wine for each and the bill was over $120. Not so much that the bill was over $100 but very disappointingly slow service. For $30+ entrees I expect very good service and I don't want to be looking at other diners in t-shirts and jeans!. Also at that level of price I don't feel like I should be up-charged $1 to change my vegetable from cauliflower to receive 2 sprigs of asparagus? If profits are so tight, hire one more person and visit the tables more frequently. You will sell more drinks which is much more profitable then upsetting your customers over $1!
- Great experiance as alwaysGregDined on 10/11/2014Food was good, resteraunt was busy Sat. night but in a good vibrant way. Service was understandably a little slow but it was worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hey bartendercongrejo1594Dined on 10/11/2014We enjoyed wonderful food and outstanding attention at Charley's Crab. The drinkers' complaint: drinks too sweet.Special Features:
- SUEKDined on 10/10/2014Took perfect care and personal attention to my food allergiesI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Our server was charming and efficient. The Lobster Bisque was AMAZING! The atmosphere was calm and pleasant. Definitely and experience worth repeating.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendedfoodieforlifeDined on 10/5/2014Dining in Grand Rapids is always a wonderful experience. We found Charley's Crab to be delightfully elegant, with a quiet, romantic atmosphere and a beautiful view of the river. Ordering off of the seasonal menu is highly recommended. Our table overlooked the river and provided a lovely landscape for us to discuss in between courses. The service is top-notch. We never felt as though our server's attention was on other tables, though she certainly had them. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingCharlesDined on 10/3/2014We have enjoyed Charley's Crab since it first opened. Our most recent experiences was no exception. Although it continues to be noisy due to the hard surfaces, both food and service are outstanding. We had mussels and sea bass; both were excellently prepared and delivered hot to our table. We shall return.Special Features:
- Nice location. The end.ReviewerDined on 10/3/2014We dined here for our 16th Wedding Anniversary. We've been to the restaurant before, but it had been about 4 years or so. We saved up some money, as I knew it wasn't a cheap place to eat. We left feeling guilty about the amount of money we spent on a very sub-par experience. The food itself was actually quite good, although I never received my sides that were supposed to come with my $58 crab legs. My husband ordered the filet and a half order of the crab legs and when the server brought out our meals he said 'the cooks messed up and put both orders of crab legs on the same plate' - he never offered to rectify the situation that should have already been rectified by the time he brought the food to our table. I'm out of space. Never again.Special Features:
- watch those stairsNFHUVIPDined on 10/3/2014my wife and I both tripped on the stairs in their dining room. one of the staff assist my wife as I was too far away, nevertheless some visual aid would be good. these steps are wood and blend so well with the decor that seniors (we are both 60) need fairer warning. as for the dinner, not as good as last year for our Art Prize outing. the mahi-mahi was tougher than I am used to; not bad, just not worth the price. and the menu is very limited for people with food allergies and dairy-product restrictions. also the chef had decided that the specials, like the mahi-mahi, would all have a sweet element, something most of us would prefer to wait for until dessert. with regret it is not likely we will be back.
- "Sam"SammyDined on 9/30/2014This is one of the finest dining experiences in the SW area of Michigan. The food is presented well, the service is wonderful, the aura is soothing, and the food is excellent. It was a real treat to be able to dine there again, and I will look forward to the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/29/2014Creative seafood offerings! Seasonal and fresh! And sanders hot fudge . . . yUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Our VisitharbourlightsDined on 9/29/2014I had read bad reviews about this restaurant, but we enjoyed our dining experience very much. We were greeted by a friendly hostess who seated us immediately, at a table by the window (which I had requested when I made the reservation). Our waitress was very pleasant and friendly. The food was excellent. We would definitely visit Charley's Crab again next time we're in Grand Rapids.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceklgluvtodineDined on 9/27/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at this restaurant. Great service , atmosphere and food was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WjhjhjKevinDined on 9/26/2014Ghigjhguigugiuhjlhjlhjlhkhlknklnlknlknklnklnklnlnlknklnlknlknlknklnklnklnklnlknlihlib
- specials good, steak not so muchjek1392Dined on 9/26/2014One order of the main nahi special was great. The filet for the non seafood eater was horrible. Mushy, gray, overall unappaitizing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolideatingDined on 9/22/2014Situated in the middle of the town but away from the hustle and bustle, Charley's Crab is somewhere you'll go for a special evening out. It offers an array of seafood dishes such as Oyster Rockefeller, which was delicious but unfortunately my snapper was a little dry. Nonetheless the it was an enjoyable occasion.Special Features:
- Disappointeddrb485Dined on 9/21/2014It has been awhile since we had brunch a Charley's Crab. We won't be back. Our reservation was for 1:15 and when we went through the buffet line, the food selection was poorly presented. The rolls were cold and hard, the egg/ham was cold and runny, the prime rib was down to its last few pieces and either way over cooked or terribly raw. The fruit had a very poor selection - watermelon, cantaloupe and pineapple is all. There were no beverages offered with the brunch -no coffee or orange juice. We also had a Grand Rapids Magazine buy one, get one - we had five of us and when we got the bill, only $10 was taken off. This was not clearly stated on the offering. All in all, very disappointing experience.
- disappointed to say the leastblackcoyoteDined on 9/20/2014first I requested a secluded table for our anniversary, we were stuck out in the open with people all around us (and it was very slow)....along the low wall, it was raining outside and water began dripping from the upper windows! I had to ask to move tables, waitress never noticed! Waitress never asked if we wanted more bread, wasn't around much (even though they weren't busy at all for a Saturday night at 630!) I ordered a Great Lakes special, that consisted of Walleye, perch and hash brown encrusted whitefish. Walleye wasn't done, perch was decent, the hashbrown encrusted whitefish was horrible, soggy hashbrowns covering a poor piece of fish with ZERO flavor. Way over priced for the quality of food, and service!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I took our waitress too long (10-15) to bring me additonal sauce for my cocoktail shrimp. My dinner/shrimp was getting cold while I was waiting. I wanted to remidner her ot bring it to me but she was never around. I could see if it was super busy, but it was not. Not very many customers that night.Special Features:
- Charely'OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The service was excellent. We had been warned by others that service had been somewhat spotty. It was not the case for us. We could not have been more pleased.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We love Charley's Crab......have never gotten a bad meal there! There have been a few times when the service has been so-so, but hey! it's hard to find good help, and we just tip accordingly (it's never been bad enough to complain). Charley's is great for relaxing, catching up with friends; you can actually hear yourselves talk....all in all a great time! One of our faves for sure:):)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing yet festiveLate4dinnerDined on 9/10/2014Charlie's Crab was a delightfully perfect fit for dinner with friends that I hadn't seen in awhile. The beautiful riverside seating and good acoustics provided just the right atmosphere for conversation. We enjoyed everything about the place. We all had seafood. Our meals were tasty, well prepared and artistically presented. The bread was fresh from the oven. I'd go back just for that bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait for tableMsmcgDined on 9/8/2014Arrived at reserved time, were told of 30 min delay for reservations. Facebook page has comments that this has happened before. The FB page page suggested they had tables available in 15 and 20 min (not! Standing room only at the bar and they ran out of glasses). I showed the hostess FB and she said she has no idea how that works. Shame on management and owners for putting employees and customers through this very dining unfriendly experience. It was a concert night but the venue has been in town over 10 years, that should not be an excuse - it's also the reason we made reservations...luckily concert started 10 min late but we only salad, not dinner as hopedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrabbyDined on 9/8/2014Confet in town and not prepared. Server was kind but spread thin. Food was like warm when delivered. Known for seafood but tasted dry and like it was cooked over a heat lamp. Made advance reservations but was sat 20 min late with half the dining room empty. Been there before when it was much better. At their price point, these problems are not acceptable.
- Never againMichigan0718Dined on 9/8/2014After arriving promptly at 6:15 for our reservation, we were told it would be an additional 10-15 minutes until we were seated because they were "really backed up". At 6:55, we were finally seated. We finally saw a waitress around 7:15 and was told that if we wanted to make our concert (@8:00), we probably wouldnt get our meals in time. We took a chance and ordered anyway, both my wife and I ordered the coconut shrimp be ause we thought it would be quick and easy. We finally got a glass of water ten minutes later. I asked to speak with a manager and was told someone would be by to see me, which never happened. We did not see a waitress again, and at 7:50 we just left. I dine frequently for work, over 8 times a week....worst experience ever.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014I was seated in the aisle and other patrons and wait staff kept bumping in to the back of my seat, and since it was concert night no chance to move to another location ughSpecial Features:
- MehcateVIPDined on 8/31/2014It was okay. Brunch was not as good as previously. No longer is their Martha's Vineyard and Caesar's salad on the brunch table. Creme brulee not as good. Do like the omelet "station" in the kitchen and delivered to you. Setting and view are ideal.Special Features:
- Trish's commentsTrishDined on 8/24/2014Great fresh seafood, nice wine list, draft beer--oh--great fresh greens!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.